Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/2/2008 7:34:54 AM EDT
Ammunition Accountability Act

From their website:

Ammunition Accountability is a newly forming group of ammunition coding technology supporters.  Our group includes gun crime victims, industry representatives, law enforcement, public officials, public policy experts, and more. We are working together to pass legislation to make ammunition coding technology a reality.

Ammunition coding technology works by laser etching the back of each bullet with an alpha-numeric serial number.  Then when a potential criminal purchases a box of 9mm cartridges, the box of ammunition and the bullets’ coding numbers would be connected to the purchaser in a statewide database.  When a bullet is found at a crime scene, the code on the bullet can be read with a simple magnifying glass and then be run through a statewide database to determine who purchased the ammunition and where, providing a valuable investigative lead.  

The bill that is being pushed in 18 states (including Illinois and Indiana)
requires all ammunition to be encoded by the manufacturer in a data
base of all ammunition sales. So they will know how much you buy and what
calibers. Nobody can sell any ammunition after June 30, 2009 unless the
ammunition is coded.

Any privately held uncoded ammunition must be destroyed by July 1, 2011.
(Including hand loaded ammo.) They will also charge a .05 cent tax on every
round so every box of ammo you buy will go up at least $2.50 or more!

If they can deprive you of ammo they do not need to take your gun!

This legislation is currently pending in 18 states: Alabama, Arizona,
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland,
Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,
South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.

PS: Apologies if this has already made the rounds. Mods: please delete if this is a dead horse post.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greetings all,
I sure don't mind the idea of ammunition traced back to individuals, but wanting to destroy all unmarked ammo is ridiculous.  
How in the holy moly are they going to trace shotgun projectiles?  Code each pellet with a number that will likely be unreadable after being shot?
Take care

Go back to DU troll.

I don't mind being able to trace ammo back to the person. If your wife is shot dead in a parking lot by some random gangster and all you have is the bullet, guess what, now you have a serial number that is traceable. Maybe to some guy who they found your wife's purse at his house. I bet you'd be thinking twice about calling people trolls and trampling other people's ideas.

If you want to catch the real criminals out there that are making it so hard for us to keep our gun rights, why be against ideas that are designed to catch these real criminals? I'm not saying this idea is the end all solution or even a good idea. I'm saying we have a problem with criminals using our right to own guns to do harm to others and there is a NEED to put an end to it.

You are seeing that every day with eroding gun rights. To ignore the NEED to put an end to gun violence is ignorant and ostrich-like. Ideas like this are common sense enough to make criminals think twice and at the same time do no harm to legitimate gun owners. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I THINK IT WILL WORK. It's just a BETTER idea than most of the anti-gun nonsensical articles out there.

3,2,1 queue the *rabble*rabble*rabble*youreatroll*burnthewitch*shesmadeofwood*rabble*earthisflat*rabble*rabble* replies. I don't mind.

Brent
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
thats gay
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to destroy uncoded ammo by 2011?  Or what?  I don't think there is any way they could know what you have in your home.
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 6:14:31 AM EDT
[#4]
This is all crap. The only upside is that it is not actually pending in all of the states listed. I know for a fact that is was voted down in Rhode Island.
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In Missouri, "Pending" means it was introduced, assigned to a committee and immediately forgotten. Our legislative session ended in May so this bill is now dead (not really "pending" at all). Given the moonbat who sponsored the bill in Missouri, I fully expect it to be introduced again when the new session starts in January. I also expect it to proceed through the legislative process about the same way it did before –– not at all.

Maybe you Californians let this kind of shit happen, but "that dog won't hunt" in Missouri. In the past four years, our state passed CCW, a Castle Doctrine law, a Katrina-type gun confiscation ban, a range protection act, a repeal of our handgun permits and a provision that allows suppressors (full auto was already OK). We have a new Democratic governor next year but I still think it's pretty unlikely this piece of shit is going anywhere in our state.
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#6]
One thing that i dont like about the idea is, what is stopping someone from picking up my encoded brass at the range, shooting someone and leaving my brass at the scene? I know it would have to be the same caliber(obviously) but still, They can kiss my ass
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One thing that i dont like about the idea is, what is stopping someone from picking up my encoded brass at the range, shooting someone and leaving my brass at the scene? I know it would have to be the same caliber(obviously) but still, They can kiss my ass

It's not the brass that's encoded, it's the back of the bullet.

But yeah, they can kiss my ass, too.
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Greetings all,
I sure don't mind the idea of ammunition traced back to individuals, but wanting to destroy all unmarked ammo is ridiculous.  
How in the holy moly are they going to trace shotgun projectiles?  Code each pellet with a number that will likely be unreadable after being shot?
Take care
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#10]
What about those explosive bullets that kill anyone in the vicinity, how could they put them back together?
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#11]
i think this would just cuase people to buy imported ammo that doesnt need to meet US legislature to be put on the market.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the law makers that introduce these cockamamie bills should be exposed for what they are.

Grassroots efforts to oust these commies should be made in every state.  We need to organize an active campaign to end this madness.

I can see legislators in CA, NY, and IL being immune but the ones introducing guns/ammo bans in free states need to be named and punished at the polls.

Link Posted: 11/26/2008 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Greetings all,

I'm sorry that you feel this way because serialized ammo WILL be to expensive too shoot,and I'll bet the few manufacturers left won't even bother.They'll just fold or not sell to those states.And regardless of what happens to existing ammo they will have won.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Greetings all,
Take care

Go back to DU troll.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I know this isnt new....but it really me off!
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You have to destroy uncoded ammo by 2011?  Or what?  I don't think there is any way they could know what you have in your home.

Or they find themselves on the receiving end of it in all likelihood.  Imagine "preban" ammo?  Fucking ridiculous!
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Greetings all,
Take care

Well, You do NOT speak for anyone I run with and certainly NOT me...

You give in to that shit and the next thing you know you will have a numerical
sequence tattoo'd on your arm!!

FUCK ANY AND ALL ANTI-GUN LAW!!

I sense a ton of TROLL in this thread!
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow this sounds like an awesome idea!!!  Yeah! This will work great with stolen or self made ammunition!
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Our group includes gun crime victims, industry representatives

Please tell me who so I can avoid their product so they will not be available to help you any more.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greetings all,
Take care

Go back to DU troll.

I don't mind being able to trace ammo back to the person. If your wife is shot dead in a parking lot by some random gangster and all you have is the bullet, guess what, now you have a serial number that is traceable. Maybe to some guy who they found your wife's purse at his house. I bet you'd be thinking twice about calling people trolls and trampling other people's ideas.

If you want to catch the real criminals out there that are making it so hard for us to keep our gun rights, why be against ideas that are designed to catch these real criminals? I'm not saying this idea is the end all solution or even a good idea. I'm saying we have a problem with criminals using our right to own guns to do harm to others and there is a NEED to put an end to it.

You are seeing that every day with eroding gun rights. To ignore the NEED to put an end to gun violence is ignorant and ostrich-like. Ideas like this are common sense enough to make criminals think twice and at the same time do no harm to legitimate gun owners. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I THINK IT WILL WORK. It's just a BETTER idea than most of the anti-gun nonsensical articles out there.

3,2,1 queue the *rabble*rabble*rabble*youreatroll*burnthewitch*shesmadeofwood*rabble*earthisflat*rabble*rabble* replies. I don't mind.

Brent

yea...and what happened when you have to use the 2nd ammend as it was designed....to shoot a corrupt politician...you want that bullet traced back to you?...

Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#21]

I would assume that black marketed ammo (none coded) would boom in sales with gang members, thugs, and criminals alike.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Fine with me, I guess, except for the destroy unserialized ammo part.

This would simply prompt more volume shooters to purchase reloading equipment.  If reloading is not rendered illegal by this crap, then we simply buy components, unserialized bullets, and go to work.  We save money, get more accuracy, etc.

Then the people who purchase a gun and ammo on a whim in order to commit a crime would have to think twice.  On the one hand, buy serialized ammo that has a chance of coming back to them, and on the other hand, invest the time and money to gain the skills and knowledge to roll their own.

Either way, it takes away the impulsiveness of buying ammo to kill someone, right?
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greetings all,
Take care

Go back to DU troll.

Brent

You are one of them morans ain't ya.

All a criminal has to do is steal someone else's ammo, and go around killing people with it. That or load their own in their little crack house. If something like this were ever actually inacted it would create a huge black market for non marketed or stolen ammunition.

The only people something like this would catch, would be someone stupid enough to buy ammo then go and shoot someone with the ammo they just bought when they know full well that the ammo is coded. Those kinds of people are going to kill anyways, people like your Cho's who don't care about living afterwards. People who go on shooting sprees don't care if their ammo is coded because they end up killing them selves or being killed afterwards.

99.9% of gun laws are stupid and do nothing to prevent, stop or catch criminals.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

From their website:

Ammunition Accountability is a newly forming group of ammunition coding technology supporters.  Our group includes gun crime victims, industry representatives, law enforcement, public officials, public policy experts, and more. We are working together to pass legislation to make ammunition coding technology a reality.

Ammunition coding technology works by laser etching the back of each bullet with an alpha-numeric serial number.  Then when a potential criminal purchases a box of 9mm cartridges, the box of ammunition and the bullets’ coding numbers would be connected to the purchaser in a statewide database.  When a bullet is found at a crime scene, the code on the bullet can be read with a simple magnifying glass and then be run through a statewide database to determine who purchased the ammunition and where, providing a valuable investigative lead.  

ammunition is coded.

PS: Apologies if this has already made the rounds. Mods: please delete if this is a dead horse post.

So if I buy a box of 9mm, I'm a "potential criminal" and need to be tracked?
What a great way for a government to treat it's citizens.
Good thinking, Mr. Jackass Legislator that came up with this one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, sure, a criminal who is planning on shooting someone is going to use ammo they got registered to thier name.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#26]
RESIST.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greetings all,
Take care

Go back to DU troll.

Brent

Odds are said gangbanger stole the firearm.  Gangbanger isn't going to walk into a gun shop and purchase a serialized firearm and ammo.

Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Brent

So what if some random gangster, steals a box of my 9mm, and shoots his wife?

All nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah, sure, a criminal who is planning on shooting someone is going to use ammo they got registered to thier name.  

that's what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#30]
If you havent already you need to JOIN THE NRA!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#31]
they should change the date to 12-12-2012 then this bill will make sense

end as we know it

Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This would simply prompt more volume shooters to purchase reloading equipment.  If reloading is not rendered illegal by this crap, then we simply buy components, unserialized bullets, and go to work.  We save money, get more accuracy, etc.

Then the people who purchase a gun and ammo on a whim in order to commit a crime would have to think twice.  On the one hand, buy serialized ammo that has a chance of coming back to them, and on the other hand, invest the time and money to gain the skills and knowledge to roll their own.

Either way, it takes away the impulsiveness of buying ammo to kill someone, right?

NO
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I thought this has already died.  I know it did here in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

From their website:

ammunition is coded.

bayonet
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Where the hell is the Political Decision Accountability Act?
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I predict this would be just as successful as the Maryland and New York shell casing / weapons 'fingerprint' database was at solving crimes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank God MI isn't in on that nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#39]
you lost me at "potential criminals"....
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Greetings all,
Take care

This bill has ONE and only ONE purpose.

Control the supply of ammunition for its eventual elimination both through tax and tracking.

This technology is not and can not be effective. There are about a million ways to beat it. it will be VERY expensive to implement which will curtail the supply of ammunition and thereby raise the prices.

If the industry had to re-tool to implement this it would make ammo cost 2-5 times what it does now MINIMUM, then add a tax to each round, and they will keep raising and raising and raising this tax. Just like the sin tax on tobacco products.

THEY WILL NOT STOP at the $.05 tax per round they will START at this.

The people pushing this are the SAME people that want to eliminate private firearm ownership in the states.

This has NOTHING to do with crime. They can't ban the guns so they are going to try to ban the bullets.

Not to mention the outlawing of LAWFUL PRIVATE PROPERTY that you already own. Worked GREAT for prohibition didn't it.

You can go back to DU now troll.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Greetings all,
Take care

The idea is nice.  I can't wait to pay an extra hundred bucks a case!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Greetings all,
Take care

Nope, next they will ban shot.  It NEVER ends.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sir, for one I dont think you understand the underlying action this bill has on me and you, it takes your freedoms away!! The goverment is trying to regulate everything we do, NOT GOOD , second do you really think that a thug or gangset is going to stop by the local Walmart and buy some ammo for his nighly drive by's or shotouts, really you need to think about it, What they will do is steal it from your house and go kill people with it and then guess who gets a knock on his door, you have no way of trying to get out of it, unless you noticed the ammo gone and filed a report before the crime was commited, on the other hand , they will just steal it from a gun shop and render the code USELESS that I now have to pay EXTRA for.

Some of you people just dont think. do you really think the criminals are going to get the ammo legaly so that your code will work ..... NO,  Think people !!
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Our group includes gun crime victims, industry representatives

Please tell me who so I can avoid their product so they will not be available to help you any more.

-Foxxz

Industry representatives is probably code word for the people or companies who own the patent for this technology.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greetings all,
Take care

Go back to DU troll.

Brent

Necessity is the cry of TYRANTS and the creed of SLAVES.

This law and similar laws are pushed buy the SAME people that want to ELIMINATE all private gun ownership in the US. PERIOD.

And the criminal can if he even bothers to buy the ammo and not steal it, pull the bullet and file off the number and reload it. It is a useless technology with the sole purpose of eliminating ammunition sales.

Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#46]
The people who are pushing this are the same people who are selling the technology and equipment to stamp the bullets. They know its ridiculous,its all about making a buck.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#47]
This plan has "FAIL" written all over it.  No crimes will be solved because no manufacturers make coded-ammo.  Law-abiding sportsmen and shooters will not be able to buy ammo plus loss tax revenue due to the drop in sales.  Ammo companies, distributors, retailers, and governments will be burden with addtional paperwork trying to keep up with who bought what.  Then, there is the problem of if only a fragment is recovered with just a portion of the code intact.  Personally, I don't want to be treated as a suspect just because I bought some ammo with a code that includes a line matching what is recovered.  Finally, if the government knows what ammo that you are buying, then they have a reasonable idea that you probably have a gun that uses that ammo.

James

Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i think this would just cuase people to buy imported ammo that doesnt need to meet US legislature to be put on the market.

They will ban that too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#49]
I know the bill died in Washington, it was being pushed by the inventors of the process to mark the Cases/bulletts. I don't think it will ever fly, except DC, NY, and California.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greetings all,
I sure don't mind the idea of ammunition traced back to individuals, but wanting to destroy all unmarked ammo is ridiculous.  DU ANTI-GUN PLANT
Take care

Go back to DU troll.

I don't mind being able to trace ammo back to the person. If your wife is shot dead in a parking lot by some random gangster and all you have is the bullet, guess what, now you have a serial number that is traceable. Maybe to some guy who they found your wife's purse at his house. I bet you'd be thinking twice about calling people trolls and trampling other people's ideas.  DU ANTI-GUN PLANT

You are seeing that every day with eroding gun rights. To ignore the NEED to put an end to gun violence WHAT THE FUCK???  Is you name Sarah Fucking Brady?  How about an end to VIOLENCE and put CRIMINALS IN JAIL FOR LIFE!?!?!? is ignorant and ostrich-like. Ideas like this are common sense [size=4]COMMON SENSE???  HOLY FUCK YOU ARE SARAH BRADY... You have ALL her TALKING POINTS!!![/size=4]  enough to make criminals think twice and at the same time do no harm to legitimate gun owners. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I THINK IT WILL WORK. It's just a BETTER idea than most of the anti-gun nonsensical articles out there.

Brent

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top