Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2008 8:47:39 AM EDT
Guys,

I have a friend who runs his dad's CNC shop. Things are slow in MI. I pitched the idea of a side fed/paratrooper upper to him yesterday and came up with a list of reasons WHY it would be a good idea:

1) nobody's doing it and it would be wayyyy cool
2) rounds would eject out the magwell and into a brass catcher for reloading
3) lower prone height
4) Shouldn't need an FFL as the recoil spring is in the lower
5) can be made to work with current gas piston conversions if people want them
6) nobody's doing it and it would be wayyyy cool

So, he'd need to come up with a new upper, the parts for the mag release, and a new bolt carrier. I think it's do-able, just can't see why it hasn't been done before.. My guess is it's too much work for most shops who want this kind of product but don't have the ability to do that kind of work. It would look awesome with a PRI carbon tube and ACE stock..... Very WWII ish, but modern!
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Google "Shrike" MEGADUPE
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Side fed, you mean like belt fed? It has been done before.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
It's called a SAW.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nope, mag fed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's called a SAW.

Ok, where do I buy one?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's called a SAW.

Ok, where do I buy one?

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]
For the same reason no one has made a top-fed. No one would buy it. What advantage does it confer?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm bein' serious here dude,..
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's called a SAW.

Ok, where do I buy one?

Ok, that time I wasn't so serious....
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For the same reason no one has made a top-fed. No one would buy it. What advantage does it confer?

Top fed doesn't work for everyone (lefty's like me), and you'd have to move the gas system to the right side of the reciever... Lot more work to do this.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Id like to see a side fed 12 gauge upper that uses Siaga 12 mags.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Shrike.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#14]
While agree in theory with a range gun for catching the brass. It would suck as a carry weapon with a big ol 30 rounder sticking out the side.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#15]
SAW with m16 mag.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Cant it 90 degrees to the right and you will have a "Gangstalicous side-fed-bottom-ejecting gat".
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Cobb has done this.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Ciener M16

Such a beast exists, $21k
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
While agree in theory with a range gun for catching the brass. It would suck as a carry weapon with a big ol 30 rounder sticking out the side.

There have to be advantages to it, or they wouldn't have designed paratrooper subguns that way in WWII.

This isn't about having something "mo' betta", it's about something different. Frankly, I'm staring down another AR build with a pretty ho-hum attitude about it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wouldn't stick out as far as that Shrike conversion in the post above you, and nothing says you can't use 20 rounders if it's a problem... Look at the Cobb rifle that was posted and tell me that isn't Pure Sex..
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There have to be advantages to it, or they wouldn't have designed paratrooper subguns that way in WWII.

This isn't about having something "mo' betta", it's about something different. Frankly, I'm staring down another AR build with a pretty ho-hum attitude about it.

You'll notice no one uses that sub-gun design anymore.

If the AR is starting to bore  you, do an FAL build.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Dave..Dave......Dave.......
just stick to your XCR and leave the ARs to us regular folk.
Besides, you shoot with the wrong hand anyway, ya shouldnt be allowed to have a gun!

Love
P.Smith
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Somebody makes a 5.7 AR upper that takes PS90 magazines. It is top fed and ejects out the AR magwell. It is pretty new and I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, but it does exist.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dave..Dave......Dave.......
just stick to your XCR and leave the ARs to us regular folk.
Besides, you shoot with the wrong hand anyway, ya shouldnt be allowed to have a gun!

Love
P.Smith

STOP JUDGING ME!!!!

Besides, I'm 'tatical enuff to shoot with the wrong (right) hand anyway
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Somebody makes a 5.7 AR upper that takes PS90 magazines. It is top fed and ejects out the AR magwell. It is pretty new and I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, but it does exist.

yeah, but that one allows for the use of rails and optics. A top feed AR wouldn't
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Never had a very good time getting M16 mags to work in the SAW.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Where the recoil spring is doesn't matter.
On the FAL, the buffer tube is also on the lower, but the upper is what is considered the firearm.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://www.57center.com/
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where the recoil spring is doesn't matter.
On the FAL, the buffer tube is also on the lower, but the upper is what is considered the firearm.

So what determines it then? The Shrike and 5.7 upper feed from the lower....

I based that statement on BATFE opinions about uppers used for M11/9's where one can get them to fire by pulling the recoil spring back. I know, we're talking open bolt guns, but the only way to get an AR upper to fire is to put something in the bolt carrier and hit it with a rock.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Guys,

I have a friend who runs his dad's CNC shop. Things are slow in MI. I pitched the idea of a side fed/paratrooper upper to him yesterday and came up with a list of reasons WHY it would be a good idea:

3) lower prone height

So, he'd need to come up with a new upper, the parts for the mag release, and a new bolt carrier. I think it's do-able, just can't see why it hasn't been done before.. My guess is it's too much work for most shops who want this kind of product but don't have the ability to do that kind of work. It would look awesome with a PRI carbon tube and ACE stock..... Very WWII ish, but modern!

WTH does that have to do with needing an FFL?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,

3) lower prone height

because it would be too close to having a functional firearm?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll notice no one uses that sub-gun design anymore.

If the AR is starting to bore you, do an FAL build.

Since I presume Dave is talking about the British Sten SMG, here are a few facts about the Sten:

- The British paras nicknamed it the "Stench" because they had such disdain for it.

- There were very serious binding problems with the side feeding magazine (made worse by the bad habit, which was near universal, of using the mag as a grip while firing).

- The whole design was just an emergency expedient that was adopted and rushed into production because the British had no suitable domestically made sub gun in 1940.

Side feeding magazines were abandoned with very good reason, guys.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I would love to get my hands on an inferiorly balanced, awkward to load upper. Tell your friend he's sitting on a goldmine!
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well, theres lefties like me who would enjoy not having brass hitting me in the face all the time. That and and it would look pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, theres lefties like me who would enjoy not having brass hitting me in the face all the time. That and and it would look pretty cool.
None of the engineering that goes into modern firearms design is based on how "cool" the finished product will look.

This is a good thing.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's called a SAW.

Ok, where do I buy one?

I know where you can get to use one, free of charge.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#37]
It would work, but we all know what force cases are flung out of the ejection port. The former magwell would have to be steel lined to keep the lower from getting worn away.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Since I presume Dave is talking about the British Sten SMG, here are a few facts about the Sten:

- The British paras nicknamed it the "Stench" because they had such disdain for it.

- There were very serious binding problems with the side feeding magazine (made worse by the bad habit, which was near universal, of using the mag as a grip while firing).

- The whole design was just an emergency expedient that was adopted and rushed into production because the British had no suitable domestically made sub gun in 1940.

Side feeding magazines were abandoned with very good reason, guys.

The Sten was disliked for a number of reasons, having poorly engineered magazine interface was one of them. You can't say the same about the Sterling (still in use today in many parts of the world BTW), the Lanchester, the MP28, the FG42 etc.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No, he means like an FG-42.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I always wanted one of those robinson arms M96 with top feed conversion. Dont know why....
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of the engineering that goes into modern firearms design is based on how "cool" the finished product will look.

This is a good thing.

Tell that to the tacticool mall ninjas
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's called a SAW.

Thank you

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guys,

3) lower prone height

No offense but are you completely clueless as to what the ATF considers a firearm?

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,

3) lower prone height

No offense but are you completely clueless as to what the ATF considers a firearm?

Maybe I am clueless; if you didn't intend to offend me, you would have just asked if I knew what ATF considers a firearm. Given that other uppers that have their feed mechanisms for AR's and are kosher, I think we're good to go.

But you have a nice day.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeapp.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I always wanted one of those robinson arms M96 with top feed conversion. Dont know why....

Most likely because it is different and looked cool.

The other reason may have been "Why not?"
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't stick out as far as that Shrike conversion in the post above you, and nothing says you can't use 20 rounders if it's a problem... Look at the Cobb rifle that was posted and tell me that isn't Pure Sex..

It isn't pure sex.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't pure sex.

LoL, Bro-you need to get your meter checked! You mighta caught Teh Gay...
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely because it is different and looked cool.

The other reason may have been "Why not?"

hey..don't pay attention to anyone else. If you think you can do it? Do it..you know how many people laughed at Edision & his light bulb? All great inventions started out with people laughing at the inventers.

You know why people laugh?? It's easier than making it work!

Anyone can laugh
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top