Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2008 10:20:54 AM EDT
I'm making a quick run across the border to Iowa to pick up some tickets to a Sarah Palin rally...was thinking of stopping by a few pawn shops in Iowa and seeing if they had any deals.
Can I, as a Wisconsin resident, purchase a long gun from an FFL in Iowa?
I was looking for an interstate gun purchase FAQ, couldn't seem to find one though...
Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/31/2008 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, you can buy a long gun in any state, as long as the state itself doesn't have any laws to the contrary (some have 'neighboring state only' laws).

I've bought several long arms in PA, and I am a VA resident.

-Mark
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't see why not.  I was going to buy one once in Illinois - a far more restrictive state - but stopped when I found out about their damn 2 day waiting period on long guns.  

I've bought other rifles while on the road outside of Wisconsin (though not Iowa) as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
yep, as long as you follow the laws of both states then you are good to go for a long gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:

I'm making a quick run across the border to Iowa to pick up some tickets to a Sarah Palin rally...was thinking of stopping by a few pawn shops in Iowa and seeing if they had any deals.

Can I, as a Wisconsin resident, purchase a long gun from an FFL in Iowa?

I was looking for an interstate gun purchase FAQ, couldn't seem to find one though...

Thanks.
You certainly can. If you're going to Dubuque Iowa. Go see Craig, at Central range. He's a great guy. He also has some EBR in stock. As far as the law goes, It's perfectly legal. Actually the posted that said you have to follow both state laws is not correct.

In Illinois you need a Foid to purchase a Firearm. If you purchase a gun in Iowa, you NEVER get asked for it. It's an Illinois law , not an Iowa one. You show your Driver lisc. Also as to the waiting period that Illinois has. That too is a Illinois state law. Buy a long gun in Iowa, you take it home the same day!! Iowa has no waiting period on long guns, so neither do you!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top