Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2008 6:35:57 PM EDT
Well I wanted a nice clean tight shave seeing I havent shaved for real in almost a year. Normal I will use a hair trimmer on my beard and mustache and call it a day. Well I decided I need a nice clean proper shave. Well I went through the routine. I got my schick quatro and gillette fusion*.  Wasnt sure which one I would like better. And started, the first step was to trim the entire beard with the trimmer. Then get a nice hot cloth and put it on my face and let the hot water do its job. then used the shaving cream and started. Well I didnt like the first attempt with the schick quatro. So I figured try again with the gillete. Same routine went with the grain of course.

Anyway the entire thing was less then encouraging. I can feel the stuble and see it still. Looks alot better, BUT i get better quality shave with a dollar store 12 for $1 razor pack. What am I doing wrong arfcom.

ETA: Thing to know I have shaved in 6 yrs less then 10 times. And one was learning how to shave when I was 13. I need to learn before I join up soon.

Footnote* I wasted money buying them
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
it'll get better in a day or three.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the bulk pack cheap razors.

Standard bar soap and I do it in the shower last thing before getting out.

First pass with the grain.

Last pass against the grain.

Baby smooth and fast.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well I wanted a nice clean tight shave seeing I havent shaved for real in almost a year. Normal I will use a hair trimmer on my beard and mustache and call it a day. Well I decided I need a nice clean proper shave. Well I went through the routine. I got my schick quatro and gillette fusion*.  Wasnt sure which one I would like better. And started, the first step was to trim the entire beard with the trimmer. Then get a nice hot cloth and put it on my face and let the hot water do its job. then used the shaving cream and started. Well I didnt like the first attempt with the schick quatro. So I figured try again with the gillete. Same routine went with the grain of course.

Anyway the entire thing was less then encouraging. I can feel the stuble and see it still. Looks alot better, BUT i get better quality shave with a dollar store 12 for $1 razor pack. What am I doing wrong arfcom.

ETA: Thing to know I have shaved in 6 yrs less then 10 times. And one was learning how to shave when I was 13. I need to learn before I join up soon.

go against the grain baby.

Its the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta go against the grain
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont be a pansy.

Get a straight razor
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dont be a pansy.

Get a straight razor
shit I cant even shave properly as is

Against the grain, I never tried that before

ETA: Wont shaving against the grain make me alot more susceptible to ingrown hairs.

I am a beard guy myself. But this is something I never really learned.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dont be a pansy.

Get a straight razor

and post pics of blood lost.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
you can still see the stubble because its growing out already. when you wake up in the morning you will have a full beard again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have coarse hair do not go against the grain on your neck.  You will have razor bumbs from hell.  The against the grain stuff only works on the upper cheeks unless you have fine hair.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
it'll get better in a day or three.
I dont plan on shaving again till bootcamp, accept tonight to test out arfcoms suggestions. I dont shave often its not my style. But I thought it was a good time to learn, rather then when I am in bootcamp.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#11]
get a real DE safety razor from a place like classic shaving (merkur HD or HD Long Handle), get a sample pack of blades from west coast shaving, get a quality cream or soap, get a badger brush and get thee over to badger and blade  forums and check in at the newbie section and work on your technique.

I took the plunge several months ago and couldnt be happier.  Shaving is extremely cheap, even with the feather blades I use and after the initial equipment outlay.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
better hit the nads next.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Baby smooth and fast.

This FTW
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Best advice I can give you

Treat yourself to a barber shave. Nothing can compare to a straight razor shave given by a barber!  Take your time and search around for a barber that offers this service.

ST~
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#15]
nuke your beard from orbi, it's the only way to be sure
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baby smooth and fast.

This FTW

+1

And Old Spice to top off the experience.

Alcohol based after shave > Lotions.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#17]
If you dont do the Barber..Then go to Walmart* and get a bottle of Shave Secret its an oil. Follow directions,you will get the results your looking for

ST~
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Against the grain increases the risk of ingrown hairs.

I think your beard will settle down after a few days or a week.  Also, leave the shaving cream on for a bit before you shave.  Lets the hair soften, which will ease the whole process and keep your razor sharp longer.  I shave in the shower for that reason and because cleanup's easier.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Best advice I can give you

Treat yourself to a barber shave. Nothing can compare to a straight razor shave given by a barber!  Take your time and search around for a barber that offers this service.

ST~

I have had a nice barbers shave before. But this was just for learning. Seeing I have always been a beard guy.

No walmarts in nyc

I dont like the concept of going against the grain. I have really coarse beard hair, and dont want to risk a ingrown hair.

Quoted:
nuke your beard from orbi, it's the only way to be sure
Thats how you get out of the army

Quoted:
better hit the nads next.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Baby smooth and fast.

QFT, add cheapie suction cup mount shaving mirror
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
get a real DE safety razor from a place like classic shaving (merkur HD or HD Long Handle), get a sample pack of blades from west coast shaving, get a quality cream or soap, get a badger brush and get thee over to badger and blade  forums and check in at the newbie section and work on your technique.

I took the plunge several months ago and couldnt be happier.  Shaving is extremely cheap, even with the feather blades I use and after the initial equipment outlay.  

this X1,000,000,000,000

if nothing else, at least get yourself some decent shaving cream.  Taylor of Old Bond Street is great and Crabtree & Evelyn's stuff is decent too (albeit more expensive) if you feel the need to go to an actual store to buy it.  Once you've used it for a little while, you'll never want to use any of the shit that comes in a can again.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this X1,000,000,000,000

if nothing else, at least get yourself some decent shaving cream.  Taylor of Old Bond Street is great and Crabtree & Evelyn's stuff is decent too (albeit more expensive) if you feel the need to go to an actual store to buy it.  Once you've used it for a little while, you'll never want to use any of the shit that comes in a can again.  

disapble razors = crap

foam froam a can = crap

get a good razor for $10 on ebay or an antique store

you can start with a cheapie brush and the 'kiss my face' brand shave cream in a tube, or get the nicer importred stuff. shavemyface dot com  and badger and brush

and this guy have some great videos on shaving technique.
www.youtube.com/user/mantic59
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Nair

I know it was around in the 70's. Google it.  

JFWY
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Nair

I know it was around in the 70's. Google it.  

JFWY

FAIL!   Don't ask me how I know this is a terrible idea!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Rub some semen on your face...
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I ike the gillet twin bladed razors...The new 3 bladed ones don't do as good a job....

I usually end up shaving twice and make sure my face is moist from a shower...
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Rub some semen on your face...
good try but thats what arfcom suggest you do if you cant grow a beard

And on how to pick out a wife
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I ike the gillet twin bladed razors...The new 3 bladed ones don't do as good a job....

I usually end up shaving twice and make sure my face is moist from a shower...

This!
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#29]
a propane torch works great..
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dont be a pansy.

Get a straight razor
shit I cant even shave properly as is

Against the grain, I never tried that before

ETA: Wont shaving against the grain make me alot more susceptible to ingrown hairs.

I am a beard guy myself. But this is something I never really learned.

I would get ingrown hairs like it was going out of style with Barbar and Gillete and what have you.  So I tried my girlfriends Coochie shaving cream(Name of the brand) works pretty damn good.
yeah, its pretty funny.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 3:35:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Click

Watch all his videos.

And buy a safety razor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Baby smooth and fast.

When I shaved, that is what I did.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 3:43:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Dont be a pansy.

Get a straight razor

+1
And go against the grain.

ETA: If you get a straight razor don't shave while drunk. It tends to result in massive blood loss. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 3:55:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Get this stuff RFN

Wally World sells it.  I've been shaving since I was 13 and started using this last summer.  I shave against the grain daily and have not had one nick or cut in the past year.  It's like friggin magic.  You use 5 drops per shave.  I only buy shaving cream for my 6yo son to play with in the tub.

ETA - Just noticed this at the bottom of the web page: "Proudly Made in America by English Speaking Americans."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top