Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/16/2008 12:29:49 PM EDT
Ok so I need to vent. Yesterday one of my Marines and his wife were murdered in his own home. This guy was one of those outstanding guys who always did what you asked of him without question. He was always on time, always stayed late and never questioned the task that was put before him no matter how difficult. He was a completely go-to guy. He and his wife had been married a little over 2 months and just bought their first home together.

When he did not show up for work yesterday we went through all the paces to try to locate him. This was completely unusual for him. It just did not fit the profile. After trying to call every number we had for him, including his wife's work, we then decided to start calling the hospitals and then finally the local police. They went out to do a welfare check on his home. You can imagine what happened from there.

Here is why I need to vent here. We are in California. One of the most difficult places in the country to get a weapon even for self defense. My gut feeling is that if only he had access to a weapon, it could have made a difference. Maybe not. It is just sad that this guy is fighting for his country, survives multiple trips to the sandbox, only to come home and get killed by the people that we are defending. What kind of bullshit is this?

EDIT: Everyone, I am sorry that I said in my original statement about California and guns. I was not trying to start a Fucking war over California's Laws. That is the great thing about the United States is that each state has the right to set their own laws. I was not by any means looking to start a fight. All I wanted to do was vent. If my venting came out against California laws, then I am sorry. I have a lot to vent about and my inner monologue must have been broken when I was typing. If I could go back and take that thought out, I would. But I can't. Those were my thoughts at the time and I have gone back in and made statements that I probably should not have said that. So from here on, lets all leave the California part out of it whether you agree with it or not.

Anger makes you say things that later you realize your mistake after you have had time to think about it.

Semper Fi

EDIT: FUll STORY ATTACHED

FRENCH VALLEY ---- The yellow crime scene tape has been removed, and groups of investigators are now gone, but one thing remains on Bermuda Street: fear.

Many of the residents on Bermuda Street said Thursday their fear stems from not knowing whether whoever killed a recently married couple targeted them, or whether the slayings were random.

Authorities identified the victims Thursday evening as Jan Pawek Pietrzak, 24, and his wife, Quiana Faye Jenkins-Pietrzak, 26.

He was a U.S. Marine and she worked for the county Health Department, Riverside County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez said Thursday night.

Autopsies were conducted on both victims Thursday, authorities said, but the cause of their deaths has not been released. All investigators are confirming so far is that the case is a double-homicide.

"The neighborhood as a whole? We're worried," said a woman who lives across the street from where the bodies were found Wednesday morning. Jaime, who asked that her last name not be used, said one of her biggest safety concerns is for the dozen or so children who regularly play outside.

Jaime's mother, Helen, rushed to her daughter's home after hearing about the deaths across the street. "If this was random, that's much less settling for us all," Helen said.

A couple of homes away from the house where the couple was slain, Nicole Folston stood on her lawn Thursday morning.

"I'm looking into getting dogs and an alarm system" because of the double homicide, she said.

"I'm not a gun person, but we want to protect ourselves," Folston said. "If this was random, it makes it a lot worse."

Riverside County sheriff's homicide investigators remained mostly tight-lipped Thursday about the crime.

Homicide Sgt. Brandon Ford, however, did say he understands the concerns of the neighbors and tried to alleviate some of those feelings by making this statement:

"At this stage (of the investigation), while we're not commenting on whether this was random or if there was a connection between the possible suspects and victims, there is no reason to believe the community is at any increased risk."

Ford said no safety advisories for the area are necessary. He added that if he believed that was needed, he would make sure the community was alerted.

Deputies were called to the home in the 31000 block of Bermuda Street at 9:21 a.m. Wednesday to check on the residents, authorities said.

Ford confirmed Thursday that calls came from the employers of both of the victims because neither had shown up for work Wednesday morning.

Neighbors have said that Pietrzak recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq.

Investigators worked through the night and left the crime scene about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, Ford said.

Assisting them initially were Cal Fire arson investigators.

"There were some issues in the early part of the investigation that warranted their attention," Ford said Thursday. He declined to be more specific as to why arson investigators were needed but did say they are no longer involved in the investigation.

Jaime, the woman who lives across the street, said Thursday that she noticed the front door to the victims' home was open even before deputies showed up Wednesday morning.

"I thought about going over there and closing it. I'm really glad I didn't now," she said.

While investigators will not say where inside the home the two bodies were found, Jaime believes they had to be very near the front door, basing her assessment on the actions of the first deputies to arrive.

The deputies went through the open front door and quickly backed out, Jaime said, leading her to believe they saw the bodies right away.

Jaime said the victims' home is the same model as hers, a two-story, 3,100-square-foot, five-bedroom house. In that model, a small den is right inside the front door and a family room is straight ahead.

There were no obvious signs outside the victims' home of the violent crime that happened there just a day earlier.

There did not appear to be any damage to the door or the door frame of the front of the victims' house. Investigators declined to say whether there was any forced entry to the home.

A small cross surrounds the doorbell button on the front porch and a telescope could be seen inside the window of an upstairs bedroom.

Jaime said she and her husband didn't really know the couple who were killed.

She believes they moved in two or three months ago. Before that, the house had been in foreclosure and empty for about eight months, she said.

"They worked real hard and renovated the entire inside of the house," Jaime said.

Homicide investigators are asking for the public's help and would like anyone with information about the slayings or the victims to call Investigator Josh Button at (760) 393-3500.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sorry for your loss..
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the worst kind of bullshit that exists. Sorry for the loss, he sounds like he was a good guy.

fuck Kalifornia gun laws.

Again, sorry, man.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That is horrible .

Do they have suspects yet? A motive?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]

What part of Cali did he live in?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear that Marine...  They're in a better place now.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
prayers for them
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]

yet another example of how well gun restrictions work
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
That is f@#(*%d up beyond words! Hope the bastards that did it fry!

Condolences to you, your other guys and their families.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm guessing oceanside?  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I am sorry for your loss  

rayers are with his family and his wife's family and for you
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Godspeed and my condolences

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for your loss and his family...

My little bro was a Marine out of Twenty Nine Palms for a few years.  Please post details if you are able.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm very sorry for your loss.  

As for Cali laws, I just thought it was a 10 day waiting period?  Getting a CCW is a whole different story, but buying a gun only requires that you do the background, pass a handgun safety course, prove that you're a resident and have a Cali approved pistol lock.

Was he trying to get a CCW permit?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

yet another example of how well gun restrictions work

+1 and sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

As for Cali laws, I just thought it was a 10 day waiting period?  Getting a CCW is a whole different story, but buying a gun only requires that you do the background, pass a handgun safety course, prove that you're a resident and have a Cali approved pistol lock.

For military its even easy, no handgun safety course or test.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Prayers sent

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck!!!

Blue skies for the Devil Dog and his wife.

I hope you guys find the bastards before the cops do.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Deepest sympathies.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#26]
My condolences to you and his family.  I can only hope that those responsible will be punished.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
...They went out to do a welfare check on his home. You can imagine what happened from there....

...We are in California. One of the most difficult places in the country to get a weapon even for self defense. My gut feeling is that if only he had access to a weapon, it could have made a difference....

Why would he not have been able to acquire a weapon for home defense?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Prayers sent

Yes...you have my prayers too convict27...may the assailant be brought to justice.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm sorry for your loss.

I hope the bastards that did that die a prolonged, painful death.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#31]
My condolences.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Unreal, just unreal.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
but buying a gun only requires that you do the background, pass a handgun safety course, prove that you're a resident and have a Cali approved pistol lock.

ONLY??? ONLY???

Man, what a crock of absolute.... nevermind

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
 Yes, it is bullshit.  I agree.  What a waste of valuable life at the hands of the liberal anti gunners.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of one of your Marines.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing oceanside?  

Me too, but I lived in San Clemente when I was there, and I used to go jogging in this huge field behind my apartment.  Not long after we left, a couple bodies were found there  I am just wondering if it was in same area.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Now that is fucked up.

Surely even in CA you can own a weapon in your home, though. Did he live off post?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#37]
prayers sent.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry for your loss.  I hope they catch whoever did this and make them pay.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Condolences and God's Speed.

As noted, purchasing firearms in CA isn't really all that difficult in most cases.  Is there something that makes it more difficult for .mil folks?

CCW is an entirely different issue.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Very sad, and horribly unfair.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Ok so I need to vent. Yesterday one of my Marines and his wife were murdered in his own home. This guy was one of those outstanding guys who always did what you asked of him without question. He was always on time, always stayed late and never questioned the task that was put before him no matter how difficult. He was a completely go-to guy. He and his wife had been married a little over 2 months and just bought their first home together.

When he did not show up for work yesterday we went through all the paces to try to locate him. This was completely unusual for him. It just did not fit the profile. After trying to call every number we had for him, including his wife's work, we then decided to start calling the hospitals and then finally the local police. They went out to do a welfare check on his home. You can imagine what happened from there.

Here is why I need to vent here. We are in California. One of the most difficult places in the country to get a weapon even for self defense. My gut feeling is that if only he had access to a weapon, it could have made a difference. Maybe not. It is just sad that this guy is fighting for his country, survives multiple trips to the sandbox, only to come home and get killed by the people that we are defending. What kind of bullshit is this?

Convict, truly sorry for your loss, but it's not impossible to obtain a weapon in California. Truly sad to see a young marine and his wife come to this tragic end.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Temecula area.

I understand that you can get weapons. The problem is that so many of the gun stores make it rather difficult for you to get one if you dont have a cali license. They are the ones who dont understand the procedures. So a lot of guys just dont even try to get one because they are told that it is difficult or they can't get one because they dont have a california driver's license.

It may not have made a difference. But I like to think that it does. Maybe I am just trying to place blame. Or maybe it is the fact that if you outlaw guns, then only the outlaws will have guns. California does not outlaw them, but they sure make it more difficult than it should be.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No need for a CCW in your own home
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

..The problem is that so many of the gun stores make it rather difficult for you to get one if you dont have a cali license. They are the ones who dont understand the procedures. So a lot of guys just dont even try to get one because they are told that it is difficult or they can't get one because they dont have a california driver's license...

The problem is a few dumb gun dealers.  That could happen in any state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry for Your loss
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Sorry for your loss! That's the suck...

You guys should send Fineswine a letter.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Can an out of state resident buy a gun in CA?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#49]
You all are correct. I think I am just a bit pissed off right now. I can't blame California for my Marine lossing his life in a senseless fashion. I blame the assholes who did it. It is just fucking stupid!

I will post details when I can.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Can an out of state resident buy a gun in CA?

Yes, if he or she is active-duty military and stationed here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top