started with this

then re-barrelled to .308

some metal work more polishing to come

stock blank Bastogne walnut and ebony wood for the foreend and grip cap

inleting

bottom metal inleting

grip cap set

forend attached

I started this because I had too I do not like taking military arms and turning them over to sporting rifles

Before working on this project I have never done any kind of metal or wood working

I still need to shape the stock and finish it..I am also making the screws for it.....

oh and glass + pillar bedding to be done also

a fiberglass stock for the same rifle is also in the works

so what do you all think

UPDATE

finished my fiberglass stock

I built two stocks for my .308 a wood one almost done...and this fiberglass....

and the metal still needs to be blued

Link Posted: 9/14/2008 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a fan of sporterizing, but it looks good so far.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I like sporting rifles that start as sporting rifles but I have to do this for school..I would much rather start with a virgin receiver but we could not do that with this project....and it is a major part of our grade for 4 classes
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Lookin good
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Which school/classes?  That looks like fun!

I can't wait to see the finished pics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
every time a military mauser is sporterized a _____________

looks nice.

now to offset what you've done, you need to buy another 24/47 and keep it in original config.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand the "don't sporterize" crowd, but, the things really are a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#7]
In before the shit storm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1 On the fun & seeing how it comes out!

Question: Where did you get the stock blank?
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Look very nice, but you are still going to hell for it!  If you want a sporting look, why not just buy a Remington / Savage / Winchester and leave the old crusty arbitrer of deaths alone?

I am buying a Mauser and an Enfield first thing on my day off before "let's sporterize a perfectly good military surplus rifle" crowd get their filthy paws on all of them.

Link Posted: 9/14/2008 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#10]
You are awesome. Someday I too will sporterize something. Maybe a SAW.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Sporterize them all, man.  

OK, maybe there's a place for military memorabilia and collectors' pieces but really, sporterizing a Mauser is not a crime.

My first deer season I carried a sporterized 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.  My uncle's favorite deer rifle to this day is a sporterized 6.5x55 with a Mannlicher stock.  His rifle is cut down to 18" or so and is a really nice rifle to carry.  It's accurate and the cartridge itself is practically ideal for PA whitetails.  The prior generation - my great uncles - all have sporterized 8mm Mausers.  Those old dudes have killed a metric shot ton of deer, both legal and otherwise.

I can appreciate some military nostalgia, but give the man a break.  It's required for school and it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do anyways.  I'd love to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like sporting rifles that start as sporting rifles but I have to do this for school..I would much rather start with a virgin receiver but we could not do that with this project....and it is a major part of our grade for 4 classes

I can't think of a good reason not to sporterize a Yugo Mauser. There is no historical or collector value to them and there never will be. The Mauser action makes an excellent sporting arm though.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Looks like Murray State gun smithing
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Coming along nicely, looks like.

Good luck with it, and if you don't mind, keep us updated on the progress. This is very interesting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Guns are not holy relics. Do whatever makes you happy. Nice Rifle
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]
How did you attach the forend?
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 4:21:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I am not that big of a fan of sporterizing military rifles, but a fellow Virginia member has a sporterized Mauser (perhaps it could be classified as modern militerized) that is frick'n sweet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 4:32:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't think of a good reason not to sporterize a Yugo Mauser. There is no historical or collector value to them and there never will be. The Mauser action makes an excellent sporting arm though.  

Ehh...

The 24/47's may. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading that they're actually pre-war FN produced rifles that were captured by the Yugos after the war and rearsenaled.

The M48's, however, were entirely post-war made guns, built in Yugoslavia, and probably don't have much historic value.
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 4:56:08 AM EDT
[#20]
looks good, at least that old 48 will get used now
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#21]
You trying to steal my thunder???

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=19&t=253796

I put mine in the refinishing forum
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like Murray State gun smithing

yes MSC in Tishomingo, OK

more credit hours and lab hrs then most associate degrees, not to mention a lot more money

Quoted:
How did you attach the forend?

couple of dowel rods and wood glue under high compression

Quoted:

GD gets more traffic
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GD gets more traffic

I know I was gonna wait for a finished rifle for the GD thread
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks like a nice job well underway.
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks great! For no good reason I took a 1985 Chilean Mauser in 7mm and inletted a walnut stock for it, so it would accept clamp-on mounts for a scope. In very little time I can change it's appearance from a hunting rifle that would fit in any twenty first century lodge, back to a bayonet-fitted WWI-looking combat arm.
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Looks great! For no good reason I took a 1985 Chilean Mauser in 7mm and inletted a walnut stock for it, so it would accept clamp-on mounts for a scope. In very little time I can change it's appearance from a hunting rifle that would fit in any twenty first century lodge, back to a bayonet-fitted WWI-looking combat arm.

I have a friend that did that to a couple of ariska's except he rechambered them
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I look forward to the pics after the mods are done.

I understand why others wouldn't do it, but I understand why you did. It is always nice to see something different.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I look forward to the pics after the mods are done.

I understand why others wouldn't do it, but I understand why you did. It is always nice to see something different.

Have fun!

The sporterized Mauser action is like a portfolio for a gunsmith. The amount of work that goes into it is actually quite a lot and shows your many talents
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like quite the project-I've always wanted to start with an already sporterized 2A Enfield and add a full-length laminate stock and different sights. Problem is, Enfields are getting tough to come by here-gunshow this past weekend had an Ishapore for $250, and a Savage for $450-both in "typical" condition.I'd like to get the host rifle for $100, but I know how unlikely that is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll give you $25 for it since it's not in original condition. And Murray's not a state!

Can't wait to see that wood finished!
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I understand the "don't sporterize" crowd, but, the things really are a dime a dozen.

I'll take a dozen.

Where should I send the dime?
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll take a dozen.

Where should I send the dime?

the mauser 98's are actually starting to dry up....at east they are getting harder and harder to find for a good price
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#34]
bump for fiberglass updates
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#35]
What is the paint on the fiberglass stock?
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What is the paint on the fiberglass stock?

HS precision stock
fully glassed in and aluminum pillar bedded, barrel free floated...

it is a truck bed liner called Zolatone finished

mixture of the colors

"Black Black"
"Dark Red"
"Desert Camo"
"Silver Grey"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top