Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/7/2008 5:36:16 AM EDT
Link

WASHINGTON (Map, News) - The arrest of two suspects in a marijuana delivery scheme has lifted suspicion from the mayor of Berwyn Heights, whose house was raided by a Prince George’s County SWAT team that killed his family pets, but there was no apology forthcoming.

Police officials said Wednesday that the FedEx delivery of 32 pounds of marijuana to Mayor Cheye Calvo, which prompted officers to burst through his front door and shoot his two Labrador retrievers, was likely an accident.

A delivery man and an associate are believed by police to be part of a scheme to smuggle 417 pounds of marijuana by shipping packages to unsuspecting recipients, including the one that sat unopened in Calvo’s house as Prince George’s County sheriffs barged in without a proper warrant.

Police Chief Melvin High said the Calvos were “likely” innocent as he noted police have discovered five or six similar deliveries in recent days to people who had no idea what was arriving on their doorsteps.

Police investigating the case, High said, uncovered a separate scheme that used package delivery to ship the marijuana and arrested two other men Wednesday in connection to the conspiracy. They seized an additional 100 pounds of marijuana from them.

When the sheriff’s SWAT team broke down Calvo’s door, it originally claimed to have a “no knock” warrant, which is typically granted when a judge believes knocking would endanger officers or give a suspect time to destroy evidence.

But the warrant indicates that police neither sought nor received permission to enter without knocking from Prince George’s County Circuit Judge Albert W. Northrup.

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Being exonerated won't get his dogs back.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
So can the mayor have those cops fired?
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Fired hell, they should be in JAIL.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah no shit.  I hope they lose their jobs or get sued into oblivion.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

agreed
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#6]
only cops should have guns..........

Great investigation this should be worth big promotions and medals all around for a job well done..............
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember someone saying in the original thread about this that the driver should be investigated. Guess they were right. Too bad the cops involved didn't have such foresight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how many innocent people are sitting behind bars right now because of this scheme.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:59:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If there's no epic lawsuit in the works, I'll be shocked
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:59:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
 How about they look and dress like Law Enforcement, not Military.  There is a difference, one deals with the taxpayers and the people of this country, and should be respectful of such. And the other goes to foreign countries and kills bad guys.  It seems like a few Leo's watch the raid scene on the Fast and the Furious and Dallas Swat a little too much.

I quoted this from an other post that was locked, I am outraged at what has happened in this case and I think everyone else should be too. It is really starting to get out of hand, what has happened to our country? When are the people of this once great nation going to say that enough is enough and vote out the Idiots that allow this type of  action by law enforcement to take place and start to hold those that enforce the law to the same standard that we hold our citizenry and military.

If you where on an operation in the Military and violated any of the rules of engagement or followed an illegal order you would be held responsible as an individual. The officers that committed this raid should be held personally responsible for their actions under the same code of law that they enforce.

These isolated incidents seem to become more commonplace every day, if this type of raid doesn't look like what you would see in a third world dictatorship or other tyrannical communist country I'm afraid that you must be blind.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I remember someone saying in the original thread about this that the driver should be investigated. Guess they were right. Too bad the cops involved didn't have such foresight.

Well, what do you want..... Geeez, they aren't detectives or anything.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Shame on the police for the illegal no-knock entry.

I regret that the Mayor lost his pets due to no fault of his own if the allegations of the  marijuana smuggling ring are true.

The ring must case houses to know the ones that will be empty during delivery and have them monitored for the pick up, all the while the home owner is clueless.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Based on what seems to happen regularly, I would suspect all LEO's involved will get suspended with pay (AKA "Free Vacation").  Then, a mildly worded letter of reprimand will be placed in their folder for a period of not more than 30 days.

THEN, they will all be promoted.

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Those cops deserve medals for having to face those aggressive dogs!

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#15]
What a bunch of fuck sticks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
The escalation of the warrant from a standard- "Hi, we're here with the police department and we'd like to ask you some questions and look around" to "Crash, get the fuck on the ground, bang, bang, bang"....should land someone in jail. Really. This guy was the friggen MAYOR of the town and not some banger with a rap sheet as long as an arm......This is just too stupid for words.

What if the Mayor had a gun thinking it was a home invasion and ended up shot?

"Gee, we're sorry, but we're still alive and you're not, too bad so sad".

Bullshit!
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#17]
i hope they sue the shit outta PGC.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The escalation of the warrant from a standard- "Hi, we're here with the police department and we'd like to ask you some questions and look around" to "Crash, get the fuck on the ground, bang, bang, bang"....should land someone in jail. Really. This guy was the friggen MAYOR of the town and not some banger with a rap sheet as long as an arm......This is just too stupid for words.

What if the Mayor had a gun thinking it was a home invasion and ended up shot?

"Gee, we're sorry, but we're still alive and you're not, too bad so sad".

Bullshit!

Is there any part of the story that leads you to believe they would actually say "sorry"?

Just a few more innocent people being cuffed in their underwear next to their dead dogs and we'll have the War on Drugs won.

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This and then forced to work mall security for life.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Every night, before I go to bed, I pray. " Please lord, please let them raid my home in a situation like this. I promise to give half the proceeds from the gazillion dollar lawsuit to charity." Hasn't worked for me yet.

Some day, somewhere, a team is going to enter the wrong house, and that house is going to be their tomb.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Is there any part of the story that leads you to believe they would actually say "sorry"?

If they had killed the guy they MIGHT have said it. I have to believe that at least one of them had been to kindergarten at some point and understood the basic rules of polite society.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Rot starts at the top. The County Executive and Sheriff should be canned. As for the dog shooters, they should be cleaning kennels.

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Police Chief Melvin C. High Resigns

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both are a +1

page 2 ownage!
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this mean he gets off scott-free?
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i hope they sue the shit outta PGC.
PGC is going to be in for a rought year between this and the murder of the suspect that was being held in solitary.
Yeap, taxes will definitely go up.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Is there any doubt at all this "war on drugs" is a war on our rights as free men? Our rights to our person, firearms, our rights to be comfortable in our house?

This "war on drugs" is a big smoke screen to further erode our freedoms as men, nothing more. It isn't about drugs or illegal substances, those are just a convenient way to trash freedoms in the "name of something better"

Wake up people.

No knock warrants, paramilitary police, all results of this silly war on drugs which has been one of the biggest boondoggles and failures ever.

Drugs are bad, but losing our freedoms is a bit worse.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That article is from 7/31, before the raid on the mayor's house took place.

<i'm a dumbass>
Regardless, I did find this little gem in the article:

Prince George's County spent $2 million last year on settlements and court cases involving police misconduct.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this mean he gets off scott-free?

Probaly, but it will make for one hell of a big 'albatross' around his neck from here on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
But the warrant indicates that police neither sought nor received permission to enter without knocking from Prince George’s County Circuit Judge Albert W. Northrup.

Just a bunch of fuck stick cowboy dickless wonders making up rules as they go along and then hide behind the "exigent circumstances" mantra.

Fuck them. I hope karma fucks them in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a bunch of fuck stick cowboy dickless wonders making up rules as they go along and then hide behind the "exigent circumstances" mantra.

More of the kind of shit that makes the job more difficult for decent hard working cops.

Lowers the level of trust the citizens have with LEO's, does nothing to help the community.

Fail all around.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More of the kind of shit that makes the job more difficult for decent hard working cops.

Lowers the level of trust the citizens have with LEO's, does nothing to help the community.

Fail all around.

Not to mention the usual apologists on here who will defend these types of situations, no matter how wrong the cops are.

"But but but....their "INTENT" was to do the right think..he "PERCEIVED" a threat so he shot dog running away/shadowy figure/through the door/90 year old grandma/etc. Sickening what some who are supposedly sworn to "protect and serve" will defend.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail all around.

Not to mention the usual apologists on here who will defend these types of situations, no matter how wrong the cops are.

"But but but....their "INTENT" was to do the right think..he "PERCEIVED" a threat so he shot dog running away/shadowy figure/through the door/90 year old grandma/etc. Sickening what some who are supposedly sworn to "protect and serve" will defend.

Job security like a motherfucker!
It's a stressfull and dangerous job afterall so mistakes do happen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Washington Post has chimed in with their update of this story

"In some quarters, this has been viewed as a flawed police operation and an attack on the mayor, which it is not," High said. "This was about an address, this was about a name on a package . . . and, in fact, our people did not know that this was the home of the mayor and his family until after the fact."

Interesting definition of "not flawed."  

Its "not flawed" to not know that you're doing a full on SWAT raid of the squeeky clean mayor's home.    Yeah,  that's good work guys.

BTW, could we please not get this thread locked?  
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Having grown up and lived in PG county for pretty much all my life, I lost pretty much all respect for the county cops (and the county government as a whole, for that matter) a long time ago.  I have no doubt that there are several good people in the department, but they can't undo the institutionalized corruption
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#40]
So, they had no idea it was the friggen Mayor's house?

That's good intel..

What if it had been the local hangout for MS13 with 50 guys inside?....Complete dumbasses.

How long does it take to check an address and cross reference for criminal convictions of the owner? Isn't intel. a part of raid planning? Who is there? How badass are they? What are we looking for?
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#41]
So does he get to keep the 32 pounds of weed?
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The Washington Post has chimed in with their update of this story

"In some quarters, this has been viewed as a flawed police operation and an attack on the mayor, which it is not," High said. "This was about an address, this was about a name on a package . . . and, in fact, our people did not know that this was the home of the mayor and his family until after the fact."

Interesting definition of "not flawed."  

Its "not flawed" to not know that you're doing a full on SWAT raid of the squeeky clean mayor's home.    Yeah,  that's good work guys.

BTW, could we please not get this thread locked?  

Majorly flawed.

Obviously.

Based on that statement, and the "we heard a scream so, presto magico, we have exigent circumstances and can go in super-hot-no-knock;"  I am comfortable with a working hypothesis that these folks completely screwed up and should shut their lying f*&^#$% mouths.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So does he get to keep the 32 pounds of weed?

No, after the press got their pics of the 30 pounds of weed the 28 pounds of weed was entered into the secure evidence room where the 26 pounds of weed resides today.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#44]

You know, if it was me running a heavily armed SWAT raid, well, I think I'd WANT to know who the hell was on the other side of the door before I went in. Did they do any intel gathering before hand?

Everybody involved should be stripped of their badges and sent to jail. Hell, they should do that for the search warrant problem alone. Not having the proper warrant, in my eyes, is as bad as keeping people from voting, taking their guns, forcing them to quarter soldiers, etc.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
So, they had no idea it was the friggen Mayor's house?

That's good intel..

What if it had been the local hangout for MS13 with 50 guys inside?....Complete dumbasses.

How long does it take to check an address and cross reference for criminal convictions of the owner? Isn't intel. a part of raid planning? Who is there? How badass are they? What are we looking for?

Back in the oldern days there were reverse look-up city directories that the flat foots would consult to get the straight skinny on the guys and dolls in the flats.

Now, there's this thing called a telephone, and this amazing interconnected database called the "Internet."

Would have taken, at best, 15 minutes.

Dumbasses.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#47]

No, after the press got their pics of the 30 pounds of weed the 28 pounds of weed was entered into the secure evidence room where the 26 pounds of weed resides today.

That's some funny shit there!
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It would be funny if shit like that didn't happen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

No warrant?  Did they think they were gonna flush those 40-odd pounds of pot bales down their Kohler post-ban toilet in one flush?  Hell, the one here at work won't flush a big bowel movement.

They call that aggravated home invasion here.

Class X felony punishable by a lot of years in the pokey.

John

ETA:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Oh, and a BIG +1 to
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top