Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:45:48 AM EDT

TEHRAN, Iran  —  Eight women and one man convicted of adultery are set to be stoned to death in Iran, activists said Sunday.

Lawyer and women's rights activist, Shadi Sadr, said the nine were convicted of adultery in separate cases in different Iranian cities.

"Their verdicts are approved, and they may be executed at any time," she told reporters.

Sadr, who has been leading a campaign in Iran against stoning deaths since 2006, said trial protocol was not applied properly in the cases. Six of the nine were convicted based solely on judges' decisions with no witnesses or the presence of their lawyers during their confessions, she said.

Most of the nine come from areas of Iran that have low rates of literacy and some did not understand the cases against them, she said.

One of Sadr's colleagues, Mohammad Mostafai, said his client, Malak Qorbani, had plead guilty to adultery even though she did not know the meaning of the charge.

The nine are between 27 and 50 years old, among them a male music teacher who was convicted of adultery for having an affair with one of his students, the activists said.

"We are trying to stop the implementation of their verdicts. And secondly, we want to amend the country's penal law, in which death by stoning is prescribed," Sadr said.

Calls to judiciary officials were not immediately returned on Sunday.

Under Iran's Islamic laws, adultery in the only capital offense punishable by stoning. Other capital offenses in Iran include murder, rape, armed robbery, apostasy, blasphemy, drug trafficking, prostitution, treason and espionage.

The punishment is also applied in some other countries such as Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Sudan and Nigeria.

A man is usually buried up to his waist, while a woman is buried up to her neck. Those carrying out the verdict then throw stones until the condemned dies.

Stoning was widely imposed in the early years after Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution that toppled the pro-Western Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and brought hard-line clerics to power. But in recent years, it has seldom been applied, though the government rarely confirms when it carries out stoning sentences. The last stoning death confirmed by the government was in July 2007.

In the recent years, reformist legislators demanded an end to death by stoning as a punishment for adultery, but opposition from hard-line clerics sidelined their efforts.

Along with adultery, other capital offenses in Iran include murder, rape, armed robbery, apostasy, blasphemy, drug trafficking, prostitution, treason and espionage.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm. I wonder how the Brits feel about this...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
These are the people Obama wants to "negotiate" with.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

TEHRAN, Iran  —  Eight women and one man convicted of adultery are set to be stoned to death in Iran, activists said Sunday.

hmmm, the math doesn't add up for me.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My guess is that the State wanted to execute the guy for some political reason, and then picked eight "whores" to execute along side him for propaganda purposes (i.e. to cover their real motives).

I cannot imagine the horror women must endure to live over there. At any moment someone could accuse you of anything and then you are stoned to death without a fair trial.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm sure someone will come along shortly and tell us what a wonderful country Iran is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a great place to live.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm sure someone will come along shortly and tell us what a wonderful country Iran is.

The Iran fan-boys and paid PR men  tend to avoid these threads. It doesn't fit their PR template.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

vito

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I cannot imagine the horror women must endure to live over there. At any moment someone could accuse you of anything and then you are stoned to death without a fair trial.

It isn't nearly THAT bad, but it certainly is life under despotic rule.  The women in my family are pretty liberal (little "L") and they've not gotten into trouble since the revolution.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, how enlightened of the Iranian "government".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine worked in the U.A.E. and witnessed a stoning. The way they did it was to tie the people on the ground to stakes at a construction site, and use a front-end loader to drop rocks on them.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#12]
and these guys will have atomic weapons....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A friend of mine worked in the U.A.E. and witnessed a stoning. The way they did it was to tie the people on the ground to stakes at a construction site, and use a front-end loader to drop rocks on them.  

Well that's not very sporting.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#15]
What happened to all those women's rights' advocates? They should be coming out of the woodworks.  BUT alas it is not the USA, so they are surprising silent.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Crime doesn't pay.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Crime doesn't pay.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I have no problem with this.  I say good for them.  That's about the only part of their laws I don't have problems with.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't imagine the horror they must go through being stoned to death.

I am no supporter of adultery in any way, but this kind of punishment is just not right.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Any of you ever read how the Iranians stone people to death?  First they bury the victim up to their neck.  Then they wrap the head of the victim so they can't see the rocks coming.  They let kids throw the stones first and after a while let adults throw the rocks.  It takes hours for them to die.  

I'd love to see every cleric in Iran suffer from stoning.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Any of you ever read how the Iranians stone people to death?  First they bury the victim up to their neck.  Then they wrap the head of the victim so they can't see the rocks coming.  They let kids throw the stones first and after a while let adults throw the rocks.  It takes hours for them to die.  

I'd love to see every cleric in Iran suffer from stoning.

This is why our forefathers kept the last bullet for themselves when fighting the savages.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have no problem with this.  I say good for them.  That's about the only part of their laws I don't have problems with.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What the fuck comes to mind.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Durga durga mohammed jihad.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Man, how much pot would THAT take?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#26]
How cosmopolitan of them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not going to lose sleep over it till they start doing that here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This is why our forefathers kept the last bullet for themselves when fighting the savages.  

I don't know if I could do that.  Take a quick/easy way out, or take one more of the SOBs with me.  I think I'll take the SOB w/ me & take my chances.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Wow...

So I'm trying to figure-out what [screwed-up] background you come from by your statement.

"Christian"? Does not compute as even Christ himself refused to stone the whore.

Atheist? Why would you care if they strayed, at least to the point that you think they deserve to die for it?

Did our revered Founding Fathers believe in capital punishment for adulterers? Not from any writings I've seen.

So I have to add another WTF/WTH? to the pile here...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Man, how much pot would THAT take?

Winnar.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow...

So I'm trying to figure-out what [screwed-up] background you come from by your statement.

No kidding.  How do you justify that morality?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no problem with people who DESERVE IT being stoned to death.

No one deserves to be stoned to death.  Jesus himself was pretty clear about that, and even an agnostic like me can see the inhumanity of it.  We do not punish monsters by becoming one ourself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Death by torture has no place in the civilized world.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I smell a set-up where Obama is going to negotiate a pardon...

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#36]
We soooo need Shari-ah Law in the United States
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#37]
well they really dont have the problem of supporting people on death row I guess........
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#38]
weird.
a thread about iran and no vito
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Iran fan-boys and paid PR men  tend to avoid these threads. It doesn't fit their PR template.

The thread is still "young".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
weird.

Again; the thread is still "young".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Adds up just fine for me!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

You know,that's what makes me laugh. These people,that's all the y know. you can't change the politics without changing the way people think.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
and these guys will have atomic weapons....

Exactly...

Third world savages with nukes.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
weird.

Again; the thread is still "young".

Not young anymore.

He was a no-show in the Iran photoshoped missile threads too. He won't touch a thread that makes his paymasters look bad.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That should tell us something about the ingrained culture of those running the show in Iran.

And yet there are those here who would like us to believe that allowing them the capability to manufacture nuclear weapons and long range ballistic missiles poses no danger to the world in general or the United States in particular.

Of course at least one of them worked for the Iranian National Oil Company during the American Embassy hostage crisis.

I suppose money talks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Aren't the male relatives of the girls supposed to rape them first?

Doesn't that somehow restore the "family honor"?

I love the middle east.  It's like a living museum of what europe must have been like 5,000 years ago.  Maybe make that 10,000 years.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't have a problem with stoning but not for this

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That should tell us something about the ingrained culture of those running the show in Iran.

And yet there are those here who would like us to believe that allowing them the capability to manufacture nuclear weapons and long range ballistic missiles poses no danger to the world in general or the United States in particular.

Of course at least one of them worked for the Iranian National Oil Company during the American Embassy hostage crisis.

I suppose money talks.

I'm confused.  Does Vito work for Iran?  I thought he was British military?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
weird.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top