Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2001 4:55:46 AM EDT
This e-mail address/account has sent over 288 e-mail transmissions containing virus/worm content to a bunch of our AR15.com team members.

I updated the AR15.com e-mail virus scanning gateway yesterday so hopefully none of our members actually received the suspect content.
(just a message indicating that they were sent a virus/worm)

Thanks!
Rich
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
It was sent to me too. Same address.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Did it come to your AR15.com address?

If so (and if we protected your system), please
send a 6 pack of beer to Goatboy !

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I got it too.  It came from [email protected].  The wormy file was attached, but I deleted it without downloading.  I had a couple of others, also.  I don't remember the names because I deleted them too fast.  Didn't think to warn the others till after I had deleted them.

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=72935[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
This is serious, even though it sounds ridiculous, but could this be considered a terrorist attack?
Under the state of affairs and the laws, who would benefit from it except anti gun nuts?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately, I got an e-mail with attachment from [email protected] too.  Didn't open the attachment though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a .pif file attachment from our very own DonR! I doubt it's terrorism, just a virus that spanks your email address book in an attempt to reproduce itself.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Lets not gang up on these people.  Most of the time you can have a virus and know nothing about it.  Did anyone email the person back letting them know they had the virus?  
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmmn...I got one also.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry Jarhead. I think you're right. We installed Norton 2002 Saturday  and removed it from our computer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry Jarhead. I think you're right. We installed Norton 2002 Saturday  and removed it from our computer.
View Quote

Hey, no problem, brother. I just wrote it off as what it was: you got zapped, and it got passed on unbeknownst to you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]
This mail comes to you from the Virus Emergency Response Team
at Proland Software.

A new variant of Badtrans.A worm has been discovered in the
wild, called the Win32/Badtrans.B worm. This worm is spreading
rapidly via the Internet.

About the Win32/Badtrans.B Worm:

Win32/Badtrans.B is a worm that spreads using MS-Outlook and
Outlook Express. This worm infects Windows systems.

The worm arrives with the subject as reply to an email sent
earlier by you with a prefix 'Re:'. This worm is potential of
sending the system critical information using a trojan, dropped
by the worm itself.

You can read more about this worm at:
[URL]http://www.protectorplus.com/virus_info/worms/badtransb.htm[/URL]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve recived 3 of these e-mails from diffrent. As long as we don't open the attachment were ok? I have opened the mail but not the attachment. nothing to worry about right?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Had this in my mailbox when I got in from work an hour or so ago.

The Advanced Virus Detection software on airNwire.com has reported that you were
sent an E-mail from [email protected], containing the  W32/Badtrans.B@mm virus in the
Sorry_about_yesterday.MP3.pif attachment.  The subject of the E-mail was "Re: Bushmaster on ar15.com".  
The E-mail containing the virus has been quarantined on the server to prevent further damage.

Thank You,

Virus Detection Team
www.airNwire.com

Virus Protection provided by Joink, Inc. www.joink.com

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I got 4 Warning messages from the following emails:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

All with the email stating that the subject was "Re: "

Luckily, even if the attachment got through, it wouldn't have affected me: I have a Mac! [:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top