User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/5/2008 11:39:26 PM EDT
B-2 crashed because moisture confused sensors

By Bruce Rolfsen - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Jun 5, 2008 17:41:22 EDT

The most expensive crash in Air Force history — the $1.4 billion loss of a B-2 Spirit bomber Feb. 23 — was caused by water clogging aircraft sensors, according to an Air Combat Command report issued Thursday.

Moisture in three of the 24 sensors that feed information into the bomber’s computer system caused the sensors to send bad information about the plane’s speed and altitude, and how far up or down the bomber’s nose was pointed.

As the jet took off from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, the onboard computer thought the B-2 was pointed downward, causing the nose to jerk suddenly upward.

The two pilots couldn’t regain control of the bomber and as the left wing struck the runway, the pilots safely ejected.

Watch Air Force video
B-2 crash from surveillance camera

B-2 crash from ground camera

The investigation didn’t fault the performance of pilots Maj. Ryan Link and Capt. Justin Grieve, both assigned to the 509th Bomb Wing at Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo. The report also cleared maintainers of any missteps.

Maintainers were aware that high humidity on Guam could result in sensors clogging up with water but thought the sensor problems were solved prior to takeoff. Also, the pilots saw no avionics readings that would have led to aborting the takeoff.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Video - Fuck me!!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow. Those guys punched out just a second before disaster.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Second video link is not working at the USAF server.

Accident report
www.acc.af.mil/accspecialreports/b-2accidentinvestigationboard.asp
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Glad it wasn't carrying ordnance!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wow. Those guys punched out just a second before disaster.

Thats what I was thinking.

Looked like they almost saved it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Accident report

It worked for me, just took a long timme to download.

Damn the crew was lucky to get out!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Accident report

The second video link is working for me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not working for me.
Must be the Verizon server.

Right click and save.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The two pilots couldn’t regain control of the bomber and as the left wing struck the runway, the pilots safely ejected.

Whew.  After watching the first video, I was really hoping that was an eject I saw right before the fireball.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Time to change your shorts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]

That's not gonna buff out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn! Glad they got out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#14]
The camera man in the 2nd video was awefull! Nice shot of the guy camo pants and ground.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Skivvies check
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#16]
The most expensive bomber on the planet and the USAF didn't check 'Heated Glass and Mirrors' option on the dealer order?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The most expensive bomber on the planet and the USAF didn't check 'Heated Glass and Mirrors' option on the dealer order?

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#19]
5 seconds longer on the hammerhead and the crew would have taken off as normal....5 seconds less and they wouldn't have had time to get out.....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Can't get heated mirrors as part of the tow package.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:26:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The camera man in the 2nd video was awefull! Nice shot of the guy camo pants and ground.

Yeah.  I keep thinking that there should be a law that prevents anyone from buying or
using a video camera until they can demonstrate that they're not a complete idiot about
how to use it.   Stay focused on the subject, don't abuse the zoom, and if you're incapable
of providing a reasonably stable image, whether it's due to idiocy, palsy, or the yips brought
on by a bad dose of cappucino,  GET A FREAKING TRIPOD, ALL RIGHT ALREADY????

The AF surveillance camera acted like it was automated, not controlled by a person.  

CJ
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  I keep thinking that there should be a law that prevents anyone from buying or
using a video camera until they can demonstrate that they're not a complete idiot about
how to use it.   Stay focused on the subject, don't abuse the zoom, and if you're incapable
of providing a reasonably stable image, whether it's due to idiocy, palsy, or the yips brought
on by a bad dose of cappucino,  GET A FREAKING TRIPOD, ALL RIGHT ALREADY????

The AF surveillance camera acted like it was automated, not controlled by a person.  

CJ

The surveillance cam was remotely operated by a security forces troop in the tower.  I can't see what is posted but I hope the shaky vid doesn't have audio.  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it is disturbing to hear....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Probably either in shock, or didn't want to catch the last few moments of pilot/copilot's lives on tape if they didn't eject in time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:21:22 AM EDT
[#24]

The surveillance cam was remotely operated by a security forces troop in the tower.  I can't see what is posted but I hope the shaky vid doesn't have audio.  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it is disturbing to hear....

OK, now I need to hear the audio
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:36:07 AM EDT
[#25]
ost
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow...that was far worse than I expected...I guess I never read the original article, because I was thinking it was a belly landing that went sour...didnt expect that kind of destruction...

ETA ownage of P.2
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#27]
First video looked a lot like a cell phone video.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Hmmm. Very jerky, unsteady camera work out in the field while seeing something that never had never happened before.

How many of you guys refused to believe the Patterson film is legit, again?

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:58:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn  

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#32]
ouch!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Something as simple as moisture can show some erratic readings on Pitot/Static systems.

The more systems you run relying on it, the more disastrous it can potentially get, like in this case.

I've seen (and flown aircraft) with similar things happening.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#35]
It's never good to see that happen.  Glad the aircrew got out and no one on the ground was hurt.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:21:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Such a beautiful aircraft.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Those takeoff crashes are really bad because the plane is full of fuel

The first vid won't work for me in Firefox, I had to use IE to get it to download.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Something as simple as moisture can show some erratic readings on Pitot/Static systems.

The more systems you run relying on it, the more disastrous it can potentially get, like in this case.

I've seen (and flown aircraft) with similar things happening.

Flush data ports add a whole nuther layer of complication, and when the airplane has no vertical stabilizing surfaces, the complication and need for dead nuts reliable pitot-static data increases another order of magnitude.

These airplanes rely on pitot-static data for side slip and angle of attach information, in addition to the usual stuff.

I'm a little surprised they had this problem, particularly after the airplanes have been fielded this long.  But, it's a non-trivial installation to get right without a boat load of testing.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:41:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

all that jerky stop/start motion indicates a camera mounted on a pan/tilt head tripod with the drag adjustments turned up too high
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't get heated mirrors as part of the tow package.

I got the tow package on my Cessna! Namapbanner.com
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:55:12 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

all that jerky stop/start motion indicates a camera mounted on a pan/tilt head tripod with the drag adjustments turned up too high

Ooops, I meant the second video
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#43]

both vids work fine for me in firefox
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I didn't realize it was that close of a call for the pilots
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I'm a little surprised they had this problem, particularly after the airplanes have been fielded this long.  But, it's a non-trivial installation to get right without a boat load of testing.

Keep in mind that B-2s have only recently (2006) been deployed to Guam.  Humidity and meager sheltering (compared to home station) was a contributor.

And the system does have heated sensors....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind that B-2s have only recently (2006) been deployed to Guam.  Humidity and meager sheltering (compared to home station) was a contributor.

The summer time humidity in Missouri is similar to Guam.  Right this instant it feels like we're swimming, I can hardly breathe.

True, but the B-2s aren't sitting outside......
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The summer time humidity in Missouri is similar to Guam.  Right this instant it feels like we're swimming, I can hardly breathe.

True, but the B-2s aren't sitting outside......
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top