Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Surewest FIOS. Great for hosting the occasional game server.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Sprint announced bandwidth caps last week... I think on DSLreports.com. I have a friend in IN that lives in the absolute middle of nowhere and they just dropped fiber to his house due to copper being too high anymore.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:38:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:41:39 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a pretty cool site. Man, I thought I was on a fast connection until I saw that one from Johns Hopkins....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks good.

You need some art for your office.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#7]
That speed test site is awesome. Thanks for the link.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#9]

It's alright, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#10]

at work, duh.

Pisser:  
at home
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.speedtest.net/result/280627826.png

reminds me of the story told by the Blackbird pilot of when some Cessna, an F-18 and a Blackbird called the tower for groundspeed checks
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Results from two servers using my Sprint EVDO Mobile Broadband.  I'm sitting in my truck with the laptop on the steering wheel.  I don't have my external antenna hooked up.

-p.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#13]
5gb a month    Downloading the Age of Conan the other day was over 25gigs much less watching streaming netflix/other game downloads/online gaming etc.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I live 1/2 mile from an Alltel tower (I can see it from my office window), and Alltel has truly unlimited service for $60/mo. Their coverage sucks ass compared to Sprints, but it's still a solution while I'm at home. Of course, Alltel and Sprint are *very* close to one another (they have an excellent roaming agreement with each other), so I have a feeling that it's only a matter of time before Alltel gets on the 5GB bandwagon. Still for the time being, they remain as an option.

You won't wanna read this:

Verizon to Buy Alltel, Form Top Wireless Carrier

By Cecilia Kang
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 6, 2008; Page D01

Verizon Wireless agreed yesterday to buy the rural carrier Alltel for $28.1 billion, a deal that would vault Verizon past AT&T to create the nation's largest cellphone service provider, with 80 million customers.

-Troy

Ya, I caught that late last night.

My best hope right now is that Sprint considers the 5GB limit a "soft" limit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, it's been confirmed. Sprint is going to start limiting bandwidth to 5GB/mo starting in July.

I'm fucked. Seriously. Even with no broadcasts, I will exceed that. There's no way around it. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

How far away are you from the nearest city w/ wireless and broadband of some kind?

10 miles or so.

Try to scan for public networks with WOK-FI!

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

Apparently it can go the distance if you have LOS: check out pic 73.  May or may not work, but it's cheap, and worth a shot over having bandwidth caps.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I live 1/2 mile from an Alltel tower (I can see it from my office window), and Alltel has truly unlimited service for $60/mo. Their coverage sucks ass compared to Sprints, but it's still a solution while I'm at home. Of course, Alltel and Sprint are *very* close to one another (they have an excellent roaming agreement with each other), so I have a feeling that it's only a matter of time before Alltel gets on the 5GB bandwagon. Still for the time being, they remain as an option.

By Cecilia Kang

Verizon Wireless agreed yesterday to buy the rural carrier Alltel for $28.1 billion, a deal that would vault Verizon past AT&T to create the nation's largest cellphone service provider, with 80 million customers.

-Troy

Just hang in there for WIMAX.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#18]
From where I work.

The upload speed is faster than the download speed

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Cecilia Kang

-Troy

Oh, I am. I'm excited about it, but I have a feeling they'll cap that too, eventually.

Honestly, I don't mind caps (as a network engineer, I know how challenging it can be to manage bandwidth) but 5GB/mo is crazy. Plus, there are smarter ways to dynamically allocate bandwidth. Just today, I've used .3GB, and that's just forums, and doing work for customers. I haven't watched one youtube video, I haven't downloaded one song, I haven't fired up my broadcast gear, etc. That's .3GB just for voice calls, two brief video conference calls, light web browsing and traffic over my VPN tunnels.

I could live with a 15GB cap.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#20]
My home connection. I tested from my home to Helsinki.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Cecilia Kang

-Troy

Oh, I am. I'm excited about it, but I have a feeling they'll cap that too, eventually.

Honestly, I don't mind caps (as a network engineer, I know how challenging it can be to manage bandwidth) but 5GB/mo is crazy. Plus, there are smarter ways to dynamically allocate bandwidth. Just today, I've used .3GB, and that's just forums, and doing work for customers. I haven't watched one youtube video, I haven't downloaded one song, I haven't fired up my broadcast gear, etc. That's .3GB just for voice calls, two brief video conference calls, light web browsing and traffic over my VPN tunnels.

I could live with a 15GB cap.

LOL

According to my Verizon Corp account rep, our accounts are all unlimited and he is making sure that all of our new cards are grandfathered to the same.

He did say that all new customers will have a 5gb cap, but claims that it is rare for people to exceed it.

As a whole, avg'd across all of our cards, we will be way below the 5gb anyway, but mine and a couple of sites will exceed it by quite a bit. Kind of nice, since we will have 100 or so cards active by end of the year. About half are with ATT now, but they suck....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Muuuuuuch better.

I live way out in the sticks. Neither DSL nor cable will EVER be available here (no market for it). That leaves me with using EVDO service (broadband internet using the cellular phone network, for those who don't know). Previously, only EVDO rev 0 was available around here. Well, yesterday I checked and sure enough - EVDO rev A is now available in my area. I placed my order yesterday afternoon with Sprint, and they overnighted me a new card.

It ain't cable, and it ain't DSL, but you know what? I'll take it. It's fast enough to carry voice reliably, and now I can probably leave my audio broadcasts up since I have more bandwidth than I used to. Woo hoo!

www.speedtest.net/result/280435468.png

If you ask me, that ain't too shabby for living in BFE. I'm a happy boy right now. That's better than some entry level DSL connections.

I'm still beating you :) mine is 12/1
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why are people posting their speeds? Who cares.

It seems to have become a internet-geek, dick swinging contest.

*thump*

Take that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why are people posting their speeds? Who cares.

It seems to have become a internet-geek, dick swinging contest.

*thump*

Take that.

Fuck my eye, why did you hit me in the eye with your dick?

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Swanging this dozer from work.

Picture is edited to make it more anonymous.

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
so again, i'll ask.  HOW do you know you are near 5gb.     without them telling you how can they limit it ?  

They're going to have your usage available on their website in a month, or so.

I will say one good thing about this connection - my power is out right now (HUGE motherfuckin' storm blew threw here) and I'm still on arfcom.

I've got 3hrs 6 minutes left on this battery.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#31]
we missed the rambling-geek weather cam.

I take it you came out ok from the storm?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Not too bad. Nothing fell on the house or the Mustang, so I guess we're a'ight.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#33]
So, you were surfin' on your new high speed interwebs and didn't notice it, huh?

And for God's sake, Sub, call newbushmaster and let him know you are OK!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=717736&page=1�
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I down graded my service
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Better than I deserve.

UPDATE: My brother in law brought his service truck by. He's got a Miller welder on his truck, with a 50 amp generator. We killed the mains on the house (so we don't backfeed the grid while they're working on it), bought another breaker for the generator, and wired 'er up.

The AC is on, the lights are on, the hot water heater is on, the computers are on, etc. The whole house is pulling 37 amps (er...on each leg - it's 74 amps total) at the moment. Yee haw.

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
www.speedtest.net/result/281284605.png

Try living with the one above.

Actually, it's much better, as the last time I tried this same test, it was 21K. They must have installed a new string between the cans.

So, Subnet, what are my choices? They promised DSL here by summer, and I haven't seen squat yet. My cell phone provider is Verizon Wireless, and I have satellite TV through Dish Network.

Good luck with dsl we have been getting told dsl is going to be installed this summer for about 4 summers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm seeing like 1448Down & 481Up  pings from 40 to 65 using DSL supposedly at 1.5MB.   Had tried Verison and got only 8% of what they were advertizing... that went back ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#41]
man, some of yal have pretty big intarweb tubes!

makes me miss carnegie mellon
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
fyi,

i went to a verizon store today,  they said 5gb is included with the monthly cost.  after the 5gb  its .49 cents a Mega Byte

if so that's insane
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I pay for Turbo RoadRunner which is around $55 a month, but I work from home, so having more bandwidth does come in handy.

11921 down
697 up
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#46]
height=8
Quoted:
Muuuuuuch better. he

It ain't cable, and it ain't DSL, but you know what? I'll take it. It's fast enough to carry voice reliably, and now I can probably leave my audio broadcasts up since I have more bandwidth than I used to. Woo hoo!

www.speedtest.net/result/280435468.png

If you ask me, that ain't too shabby for living in BFE. I'm a happy boy right now. That's better than some entry level DSL connections.

Congratulations...Happy...Me
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#48]
How does one get better upload times?

My down was 9463 and up was 940.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#49]
' target='_new'>www.speedtest.net]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top