Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2001 10:03:25 PM EDT
[>Q]you guys I closed the bolt on my thum!
Damn it!!!!!! it stings BAD!

Anyway it made me think of a cool topic.

What dumb stuff have you done with a gun that gave you a boo boo?
or if no boo boos did you brake anything?

I shot my .45 in the house one time and got 4 of the wifes chick flicks[:D]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Dumped two thirty rounders through my mini 14 real quick, set the gun down for a second, then picked it up by the barrel just below the front sight. This is why one of my more common sayings is "I wish I hadn't done that.".
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
1) Reached across the top of my AK with my support(left) hand, to yank the charging handle after a reload.
2) Caught the side of my hand in between the top cover and the bolt handle.
3) Bled.[:(]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 1:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Long story but here is the short version:
When I was a youngun' messed with my daddy's Ruger .22 MkII Gov.  Tried to load it, it double fed, I slapped the back of the bolt to close it.  Well, it closed and went off.  Blew a nice gouge in the wall.

Ma and Pa come home to me fixing the wall.  I explain that I had let go of an arrow by accident.

Bout two weeks later dad comes in, with a deformed .22 bullet, with sheet rock dust/particles on it, sets it on my dresser and says, "I want you to think about it."  And walks away.

Dumb thing to do, dumber to lie.  Still kinda hurts to think how it made my daddy feel.[:(]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I once, on a cold day, tried to load my left index finger into the mag well of a 1911 along with the magazine.  those mag edges are sharp, and I left red trail markers all over the course before I realized I injured myself.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody remember the TV series [b]THE RIFLEMAN[/b] with Chuck Conners as Lucas McCain.

I was probably 14 and deer hunting with my dads Glenfield 30.30. I was going to do one of those spin around cocks. I wind up and deliver and damn near twisted my right hand off and drop the rifle right into a pile of sand.

My dad was pissed to see the action all full of sand and didn't even give a shit about my severely sprained right hand.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#9]
... I hate to even admit it, but the [b]only[/b] AD in all my life (except for IPSC training) was in my basement. With a .50 cal no less! It was obviously pointed in a safe direction, but I pulled the trigger "absolutely sure" it was unloaded. My little brother punched me. We were both deaf for a week. We laugh about it now, even though I promised to kick his ass if ever he spilled the beans.
The little shit will make innuendo in conversation from time to time but just vaguely veiled enough from getting slugged.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I got my thumb stuck in my butthole![:I]

Hey, it was my first SKS...OK? Thanks GOD that no one was around. It took me a few painful moments with a screwdriver to get my thumb out.

Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got my thumb stuck in my butthole![:I]

Hey, it was my first SKS...OK? Thanks GOD that no one was around. It took me a few painful moments with a screwdriver to get my thumb out.

Lesson learned.
View Quote
U R not alone! [>(] I hate that panicky feeling!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#13]
The dangers of training rookie shooters and trying to get in a few rounds at range for yoursel>>
Son is trying to shoot, bitching about why he can't seem to hit what he wants.
Wife has a new gun. Finally, they are both settling down. Slam a clip into my Ruger.
Wife asks if I see her target. I look over from what I thought was a ready shooting position and admire her group....turn back and aim hastily, and fire with my left thumb right behind the slide.

two nice cuts and a bruise on the thumb....

Thank goodness the range was crowded and lots of firing or the cursing would have gotten me some looks!  

distractedly....[B)]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
....turn back and aim hastily, and fire with my left thumb right behind the slide.

two nice cuts and a bruise on the thumb....

distractedly....[B)]
View Quote

I did the same damn thing!  Hurt like hell.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#18]
5150BRY had a little Winchester autoloading 20ga that was just barely legal length. He put a pistol grip on it and on his first trip out with it he lines it up like a pistol and cranks off a round, recoiling right into his mouth.He goes wailing off in one direction ,holding his face, the shotgun goes flinging to the ground. After he picked it up, he was able to match the small piece of skin on the rear of the pistol grip to the bleeding wound on his upper lip. God I love that guy, he keeps me in stitches!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#19]
When I was about 16 or so, my mom's boyfriend had a 380.  My mom and I went to visit her Sister in the country, so we took the gun so I could shoot it.  First time with a semi-auto.  After the first shot, my thumb was bleeding badly from the slide coming back.  Still have the scar.  Went into the house and said I shot my thumb off.  Mom screamed, I laughed.  Tight wrap up, finished shooting that box of ammo.  NEVER had to worry about that again.  Lesson Learned.

WL
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I learned to shoot a handgun on my own with an old Smith .38 that had been given to my mom and dad by a cop friend of theirs.  I was 15, I think.  Anyway, I had developed an odd two-handed grip.

Fastforward to 1999, and I had just purchased my Smith SW99, and went to the range to shoot it.  First shot, I was using my odd gripp, and the slide came back and sliced my thumb open at the joint.  Hurt and bled like a son of a gun.

And three weeks ago at the range, during a fast reload of the Glock 27, I put a nice blood blister on my right ring finger when I slapped the magazine in.  It hurt like crazy.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
... I hate to even admit it, but the [b]only[/b] AD in all my life (except for IPSC training) was in my basement. With a .50 cal no less!
View Quote

What happened to the wall where it impacted?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Big_Bear and I have something in common!

M! Thumb!!

Hurt like Hell.  I ended up losing the nail, but it grew back. (after a looooong time)  For some reason I haven't done that again!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#23]
First experience with a hand gun, a beretta 92.  I didn't lock the slide on, the rear of the slide left punture wounds 3/4 an inch deep in my leg.  the shell casing had blown its rear off.  other injuries, my confidence.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I shoved and shoved at the last couple of balky cartridges on an SKS's stripper.  They wouldn't go, I got mad, getting mad makes me push harder, and as they suddenly jumped into the magazine, my thumb hit the side of the mag well on the way down and took off 1/4 of my right thumbnail.  
A Devious Communist Trick

In an un-related shooting event, I looked over a few shooters and watched a Sterling High Power competitor chamber his thumb in his M1A.  Must of hurt.  For my part, I have avoided M1 thumb (so far).  I have almost gotten Mini-14 thumb, though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I was having fun shooting at watermelons with my dads single shot 10g, it was hot as hell out and my hands were sweaty, well I was shootin it and my left hand flew off the stock and the bbl of the gun popped me in the nose. Lot'sa blood
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#26]
My two screwups I can think of...

First real time with my M16, I blasted through about 3 mags real fast.  Layed it down on my shooting blanket (one of the blankets movers use.)  Few minutes later I pick it up and part of the blanket is melted to the barrel.  Doh.  Nice red furry stuff hanging from my new M4 barrel.  I finally clean it off.

Few weeks ago I was testing out my new Benelli M1s90.  Loading it up with my right hand I somehow got my right thumbnail stuck past the loading plate.  It was jammed in the tube with the loading plate back down.  My thumbnail was dented big time and I had no idea on how to get it out.  I ended up squeezing it out with no damage.  Hurt for a day or two.   What a dummy.  [:D]  I now use my left thumb to hold the plate up while loading.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#27]
 I had just bought a 30-30 when I was out w/ my friends and well, long story short, I had an AD. I was in the living room too! It went straight through the love seat tore up the carpet and fragmented on the concrete underneath. It came pretty close to hittin' the fam computer. So I had to call my dad at work, tell him I'd bought a new gun w/ out his permission and that I'd shot the love seat w/ it.
 About a week latter my uncle shot a chair in the kitchen w/ my dads 1911. After 2 back to back AD IN the house my mom threatened to take away all our guns if we shot any more of her furniture.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
 After 2 back to back AD IN the house my mom threatened to take away all our guns if we shot any more of her furniture.
View Quote

Now THAT'S some funny shit!!

Don't ask me why, but I just found it funny! Maybe it's a reminder of my childhood?? [:D]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Happened about 12 years ago.  Just got my .44 mag Blackhawk from a gunsmith I asked to put a crisp trigger pull.  Dry fired a few times and felt too crisp and too easy.  I figured I would get used to it.  Went to the local sandpit to try it out.  Loaded up with some real stout 320 grain loads. I take careful aim and just touch the trigger.  Next thing I remember is setting on the ground with blood all around and flowing from my face.  The fool had not only did too much to the trigger, but installed some trigger and hammer springs that were way to light.  First shot raised the revolver to about eight inches in front of my face, the second shot went off by itself and planted the rear sight into my nose.  That hurt big time.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#30]
1. Was out pheasant hunting when I was about 5th grade, carrying an old .410 bolt. Was standing to the left of my dad when we walked up to a thicket that we could see pheasants scurrying around in. There was a small tree on my left, dad on the right. I'm getting rooster fever waiting for something to jump. The first bunch of birds that flew I quickly flicked the safety off and pulled the trigger... without remembering to shoulder the gun first.. blew the little tree on my left all to heck.  After the birds were done flying my dad noticed the tree and asked 'what if i had been standing there?'.. I answered 'the gun wouldn't have been pointing there then'... he made me stand there for 5 minutes staring at that tree and thinking about it.  Lesson learned!

2. Was trapping beaver in 7th grade using conibear on a pole under the ice, temp was about 5 degrees.  Went out in the morning, chopped a hole in the ice so I could pull up the pole/trap but didn't cut the wire run from the top of the pole to the trap out of the ice. Set the hatchet off to the side, pulled up the trap and it was setoff. Proceeded to set the trap, got one half locked and was working on the other side when I accidentally set it off. Sucker clamped right down on my arm, I jumped and kicked the hatchet across the ice.  So there I sit, 2 miles from anyone, 5 degrees, my arm in a trap attached to a pole that I can't get out of the ice.  Took me a bunch of cuts, bruises and about 2 hours to get out of that thing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I dropped the bolt on an "empty" mag on my target  AR. I pointed it in a "safe" direction and pulled the trigger to drop the hammer.  the "empty" gun pointed in a "safe" direction managed to put a nice neat hole in the corner of my 27" TV in my den.  Luckily it was Hornady VMax and didn't get past the front glass.  There were glass shards in my hair for a week and I had a bad case of sphincter lock.

Yowza.

Crashburnrepeat
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#32]
let,s just say it involved me and a 22mag downstairs and my queen size waterbed up stairs
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#33]
While showing a friend how to operate a Garand, more specifically how NOT to get Garand thumb, .....................................
SLAM!!!!!!!!
Lost the damn nail, like Vulcan94 said, it took a looooooooonnnnnnggggggg time to grow back.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Back in my youth once when I was deer hunting, I got bored from lack of action.  I was leaning against my dads little car with a scoped 7mm remington mag when this fat grouse on the edge of the gravel road started mocking me.  The insolant bastard was about 10 feet away.  I put the scope on it (all I could see was a blur) and fired.

I had to explain to my dad why me and the car were covered in little hunks of bloody pulp and feathers.  (Some of those little pieces really stung when they hit).

Ahhhhh youth.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#35]
accidenly touching off both barrels in a double barreled shotgun in a cowboy match. hurts just remembering
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like alot of us have a bit of a love hate thing with our M1s[:D]

Don't feel bad,the top of a M1 is open I got it with just lil. slit.[:(]
But I don't get it! you can't tell me I'm the only one to do this.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I have recently started shooting service rifle and was practicing positions at the range.  I was shooting slow fire prone and got the bright idea that if I reached through my AR's carry handle with my right hand to release the bolt, I wouldn't disturb my position as much.  Too bad that I also didn't have the equally bright idea to keep my right pinky finger out of the ejection port. I released the bolt and it slammed into my pinky, crushing it against the barrel.  My pinky was numb so I finished the string.  When I got up out of position to remove my sling, I noticed that there were these dark brown stains (the blood had soaked in and looked dark brown) everywhere - on the shooting mat, the sling, pistol grip, and my pants.  Now, to amaze you all with my super-human quick thinking, my first thought was (and I kind you not) "where in the hell did all of this chocolate syrup come from?"  I still did not realize that my finger was cut down to the bone and I was bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig.  So, I continued removing my sling.  Finally - to prove that I may be slow, but not yet blind - I saw the blood dripping from my hand onto my jeans.  To make matters worse - as if it could get any worse - I couldn't stop the bleeding so I had to go to the range office to ask for a band-aid.  When the kid at the counter asked me what happened, I couldn't think fast of anything cool to say like "a rattle snake bit me as I was changing out my target" - so, I sheepishly tell him that "I got it caught in my rifle."  On the bright side, I think I may have coined a new shooting injury - "AR pinky."
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Fired a .454 Casul w/o ear plugs.  [:O]  
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Happened about 12 years ago.  Just got my .44 mag Blackhawk from a gunsmith I asked to put a crisp trigger pull.  Dry fired a few times and felt too crisp and too easy.  I figured I would get used to it.  Went to the local sandpit to try it out.  Loaded up with some real stout 320 grain loads. I take careful aim and just touch the trigger.  Next thing I remember is setting on the ground with blood all around and flowing from my face.  The fool had not only did too much to the trigger, but installed some trigger and hammer springs that were way to light.  First shot raised the revolver to about eight inches in front of my face, the second shot went off by itself and planted the rear sight into my nose.  That hurt big time.  
View Quote

Anybody that can double tap a Blackhawk is one bad sumbitch...
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I probably wasn't even 10 years old, and I was out dove hunting with my Dad and GrandPa.  I was sitting on the dove stool with my Daisy BB-Gun (Pre-Ban)[;)] across my lap.  I guess I forgot to put the safety back on after my last shot.  I wasn't really paying much attention to what I was doing, and I had my thumb in the trigger hole.  Next thing I know....*POP*.....and my Grandpa goes "OWW".  I shot him right in the leg.  He went to the hospital and they X-Rayed him, because we weren't sure if it went in him or not.  On the X-Ray, you could see a nice shiny silver dot right up next to his bone!  Fourteen years later and he's still walking around with that BB in his leg!  Doctor said it wouldn't hurt anything!  Boy, did I learn my lesson!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Come to think of it, if my face did not get in the way, that single action might have gone full auto.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Only AD I've had, hope it's my last;  I was cleaning my mossy 590 while watching last years Indy 500.  Once clean, I lubed it up and began cycling the action... rack the slide, pull trigger, repeat... I guess I got a little more involved with the race than I should've 'cause I went to load a few rounds of birdshot in it (lived in an apartment at the time) and zoned out and went back to cycling the thing like I'd just been doing. BOOM, about 12 inches from my left ear. Took out the ceiling fan and left a nice pattern on the vaulted ceiling left me shaking for an hour and deaf on the left side for two days.  Patched up the holes, replaced the fan and the roommate never noticed!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#43]
This one happened a couple of days ago.

I was loading the Ruger Single-Six .22 Mag cylinder and it was a little, uh, dirty.  I had to kind of [i]really[/i] twist it around to load it...
Finally, it was loaded and returned to locked storage.
Then, I sat down to read the latest GunTest and there was some information regarding turning the cylinder on a revolver chambered for .22 rimfires.  It said if you force the cylinder you [i]could possibly ignite the primer/powder in the RIM, thereby causing an unintentional discharge[/i]!!!
I remembered what I'd just done and thought "shit-o-dear".

An obvious and overlooked feature of the .22 Rimfire ammo that oughtta be taught.  I'll never forget that again.

One of those things that SCREAMS at you about why you [i]CLEAN YOUR GUNS!!![/i]

Now, I'm sure as hell not going to try and pry the ammo out of this one, so, new problem...right?  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#44]
7.62x39 traveling upwards at an angle from my basement went through

1. a floor joist and floor board

2. through the shower drainpipe (that i didnt know was hit till i took a shower the next day made a nice mess) $10.00 to fix pipe

3.,through the floor and side of the shower stall cost me $150.00 to get fixed

4. complety through the wall behind it

5 partialy through my china cabinate

no injuries only my wallet and my pride

oh yea ive had m1 thumb a few times also

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Ya know... these dont have to be repeated... but this could be a great lessons learned topic from all the accidental discharges seen here.

1.  Never put your finger on the trigger unless you have taken a safe aim and are ready to fire.  

2.  Never dry fire the weapon unless you immediately visually inspect that the chamber is empty, first.  Then check it again.  Then stick your finger in the chamber.  Then proceed to dry fire.

3.  Never point your muzzle at anything that you arent willing to destroy.  (ceiling fans, grouse's, furniture, TV's, all included)

Well, that takes care of about 90% of them....

We had an AD in the house once... my Dad was unloading a .22LR rifle, by hand cycling the action in a tube fed rifle.  Dont know the specifics, but somehow upon dropping the bolt closed, the rifle discharged.  Nice small hole in the sheetrock.  He was dumbstruck for like an hour.  Even then, he never really taught me not to hand cycle live ammo.... and I never really understood how important that rule was until I started reading here.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#46]
The worst thing I ever did was bang my funny bone on the sights of my holstered Glock 22. Took my gun hand out for about 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top