Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2007 6:32:40 AM EDT
Are IPODs really that much better than regular MP3 players?

My wife really wants some sort of music player for Christmas.

She has seen MP3 players as low as about $40, while the Ipods start at about $80.

I've been leaning towards getting her the 40Gb Ipod classic at about $200, so that we she can "grow into it".

It appears to me, that it'd be much easier for her to obtain music for the IPOD since she could just purchase from ITunes.  She's not highly computer literate, and I don't think she'd take kindly to burning all of our CD's to MP3's.  I know that she'd never even begin to figure out how to get onto file sharing sites either.

Suggestions? IPOD or MP3 player?

Thanks,

Mike L.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the iPods are worth the extra.  The layout and use is much more user friendly.  iTuntes is pretty easy to use and the things available for it are enormous.

I say go for it, she'll enjoy it.

Happy Shooting
cya
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My only thing with IPods is that you have to buy your music on Itunes. Creative MP3's allow you to copy all music you mite own from CD's on to it. When I got a MP3 player I wasn't going to repurchase all my favorite music and especially all my CD's I allready own. So thats the reason why I choose an MP3 player over an IPod.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My only thing with IPods is that you have to buy your music on Itunes. Creative MP3's allow you to copy all music you mite own from CD's on to it. When I got a MP3 player I wasn't going to repurchase all my favorite music and especially all my CD's I allready own. So thats the reason why I choose an MP3 player over an IPod.

You can import CDs you already own into your iPod as well as any mp3s you already have. No need to repurchase stuff you already have.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking at the Zune.  They have an all-you-can-download plan for ~$18/month that lets you get all the music you want.  It disappears when you quit paying monthly, but I'd rather do that than pay $1 per song.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Incorrect.
You can easily rip your CDs into an iPod.

I vote for the iPod. I've seen a bunch of folks with MP3 players that were very crappy quality, and MUCH less intuitive. Sure, you might be able to get more gb/dollar spent elsewhere, but you may land up unhappy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't need to repurchase your music.  Just download the cd onto iTunes, it does it automatically.  Simple as that.

If you purchase music from other than iTunes on the internet, just burn the music to a cd and download it to iTunes.

Happy Shooting
cya
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ive haerd that many times from people..  

is it really true that ipods only let you use music you BUY from itunes..  ?

seems you could import your music to itunes and use it..  

I belive your wrong on this..

how would so many people have it if they had to PAY for all the songs on a 40 gig device..    

you HAVE to be mistaken ..  

edit:

seems like type slow and the question was answered as I pecked at the keys.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you serious?  You have repurchase MP3 music you already own to load it on the Ipod?  If so that's freaking reatrded!

What MP3 players will allow you to simply drag and drop music from your computer without B.S. third party software?

My daughter wants a 80GB Ipod Classic for Chirstmas.  Is there anything comparable that can play videos and doesn't use Itunes?  

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm looking at the Zune.  They have an all-you-can-download plan for ~$18/month that lets you get all the music you want.  It disappears when you quit paying monthly, but I'd rather do that than pay $1 per song.  

Can't you just burn that music to CD/DVD and then import that back into the Zune? I have a hard time believing you can't keep something you've paid for.

As much as I HATE buying stuff made in China, if you're just starting out and need a simple interface, the iPod may be your best bet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't you just burn that music to CD/DVD and then import that back into the Zune? I have a hard time believing you can't keep something you've paid for.

For stuff you have on CD, absolutely.  It's only the downloaded stuff that disappears.

ETA: If you mean the stuff that you downloaded, I think the DRM keeps you from burning it out and back.  There may be a way around that, but I'm not going to try to poke the RIAA in the eye.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

like napster ,..,  

you dont own the songs..   you lease them .. they are DRM protected,

so no.   you cant burn the songs.     at least not in a easy way that makes it worth while..    there are digital to analog to digital converters that can..  but just not worth the time as it does it in real time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you use an Ipod without installing Itunes?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

like napster ,..,  

you dont own the songs..   you lease them .. they are DRM protected,

so no.   you cant burn the songs.     at least not in a easy way that makes it worth while..    there are digital to analog to digital converters that can..  but just not worth the time as it does it in real time.

Nice marketing ploy.

As much as I hate it (and Apple), I'll stick with iTunes/iPod.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#14]
With ITunes you just insert the disc and it downloads into the ITunes file.  Then you pick the music you want and it automatically loads onto the IPod.

I vote IPod.  And I suggest you consider a smaller Nano or such.  Its small size makes taking it on hikes or exercising easier.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

IIRC, there's some freeware that lets you use it as a hard drive where you can drag and drop music, etc. You don't need iTunes.

I use a Nano 8GB (the newer version). It's a great size.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

She has seen MP3 players as low as about $40, while the Ipods start at about $80.

I've been leaning towards getting her the 40Gb Ipod classic at about $200, so that we she can "grow into it".

It appears to me, that it'd be much easier for her to obtain music for the IPOD since she could just purchase from ITunes.  She's not highly computer literate, and I don't think she'd take kindly to burning all of our CD's to MP3's.  I know that she'd never even begin to figure out how to get onto file sharing sites either.

Thanks,

Mike L.

The cheap MP3 players are touch and go. Some are good and others are pure shit.

The ipod has less features then some and demands a premium. However, the ipod interface is arguably the best and I think that matters if you wife isn't into wiz-bang electronics. Also, the integration with itunes on the computer is very good.

You CAN import directly from CD. You DON"T have to spend one red cent at the itunes music store. I have 3000 songs on my ipod, never gave another penny to apple to get them there.

-JTP
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I dont have an Ipod..   but..   isnt there a setting that lets you "manualy manage music"    thus turning it into a harddrive/regular mp3 player .. with no need for itunes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#18]
i think the zune outsold ipod last month.  i think iheard something like that.  fight the MAC!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i think the zune outsold ipod last month.  i think iheard something like that.  fight the MAC!!!

That's not true.
There was an article stating that there were more searches on Amazon for Zune than the iPod. Big deal! People KNOW where to get iPods, and Apple still owns the market. BTW, according to that same Amazon survey, the #1 electronic product (beating Zune and iPod) was the Kindle. Right.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, there's some freeware that lets you use it as a hard drive where you can drag and drop music, etc. You don't need iTunes.

The only reason why I'm considering the classic over the Nano, is that we may want to use some lossless music formats (i.e. Apple lossless) rather than MP3.  We have a very high fidelity sound system at home and in one of our cars, and thought that we she could take advantage of that with 80 Gb to spare.

I'll look into freeware to circumvent Itunes, if needed.

Thanks,

Mike L.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for an iPod. I got my wife an iPod one Valentine's day. Over a year later the headphone jack stopped working. We went to an Apple store, they manually overrided her warranty and gave her a new iPod.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The cheap MP3 players are touch and go. Some are good and others are pure shit.

The ipod has less features then some and demands a premium. However, the ipod interface is arguably the best and I think that matters if you wife isn't into wiz-bang electronics. Also, the integration with itunes on the computer is very good.

You CAN import directly from CD. You DON"T have to spend one red cent at the itunes music store. I have 3000 songs on my ipod, never gave another penny to apple to get them there.

-JTP

I was going to say the same thing.  I've given an ipod to people in their 70's and they are able to use it without instruction.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only reason why I'm considering the classic over the Nano, is that we may want to use some lossless music formats (i.e. Apple lossless) rather than MP3.  We have a very high fidelity sound system at home and in one of our cars, and thought that we she could take advantage of that with 80 Gb to spare.

I'll look into freeware to circumvent Itunes, if needed.

Thanks,

Mike L.

OK, you lost me there.

I thought all the iPods used the same formats? Hmmm... I guess I learned something today.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Another vote for an iPod. I got my wife an iPod one Valentine's day. Over a year later the headphone jack stopped working. We went to an Apple store, they manually overrided her warranty and gave her a new iPod.

Considering it probably cost them $50 in parts to make the thing, that was a smart business move on their part.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I couldn't tell you if they are "better" because I have only ever owned the iPod, but I CAN tell you that using an iPod is about as simple as it can be. It sounds great, holds every song I could ever want (and still have 75% of the capacity free), and has TONS of available accessories and add-ons.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Will any of them play FLAC as well as MP3 files?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#27]
If you're gonna compare the cheap-ass mp3 players to Ipods, may as well start up another thread how Yugo's don't really compare to Cadillacs.  

Quality MP3 players like those by Creative or Sandisk are pretty nice, and easy to use.  I simply don't understand how dragging and dropping files is "hard to use".  Also, chances are they are using Media Player - the latest version also has a sync for songs with MP3 devices.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I only have flash based players, but I do know this (in that realm):  

You get less functionality, yet pay more money, when you buy an iPod.

I don't understand why anyone would pay more for less.  

But that's just me.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

But that's just me.

pls explain ..

how is an Ipod "less Functional"

dont have one.. but my kid is asking for one... so ..    I need to know..  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Will any of them play FLAC as well as MP3 files?

Not FLAC. They do play a similar but different lossless format created by Apple (ALAC or ALE).

They also play mp3, aac, wav, aiff, and maybe some other formats. The Shuffle and older models may not play all of those.

The itunes store sells files as protected aac, but you can definitely use your own files (copied from a cd or downloaded).
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

But that's just me.

Normally, I would agree.  However, the iPod does have 2 things going for it, that swayed me:

1.  Slick Interface - It really is the smooooothest and simplest.  It might not be capable of every oddball function you desire, but what it does (which is plenty for an MP3 player) it does EFFORTLESSLY.

2.  Ubiquity - I have a new car stereo with iPod integration.  I put the iPod in the glove box, plug in the Dock cable, and control the whole shebang from the dial and display on my car stereo.  (Alpine IDA-X001)  You just don't get that for any of the other brands.  There is a whole world of add-ons, interfaces, control units, etc. that all work with any iPod that has the Dock connector.  That is worth something right there.

And, as someone else pointed out above, I have NEVER bought any music from Apple.  All of my music is my own MP3 collection, acquired completely separately from the iPod.

FluxPrism
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Last month I decided I wanted one and it was a hard decision between Zune or Ipod.
After much angst I went with the 80G Ipod Classic and I'm glad I did - it's a great unit!

I've loaded my entire CD collection of 1327 songs and also ripped and stored two full length movies and I still have 68G free space.

I also enabled the disk use feature and use it as an external hard drive for storing and moving data files between computers.

I'm sure the Zune and other units also work well but I'm satisfied with my Ipod, and Itunes isn't hard to figure out.
I don't download music so paying for protected music isn't an issue for me.

I'll give the Ipod a thumbs up...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I have the 60 GB Ipod Video which I recieved as a gift from my wife.Currently I have 11,000 songs,500 pictures,25 cartoons and about 8 video games.If you downloaded some songs and backed them up you get to keep them you can rip all your cd's and the itunes catogorizes them for you when you buy a song from itunes its yours you can burn a cd or put it in the ipod.Sometimes its better because if you like one song you don't have to buy the entire album.Sometimes it sucks because even though they have the album it will be missing the one song you really want.The ipod is on top and every other mp3 player is still trying to catch up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Anybody have an FM transmitter to use the car radio on either the Ipod or Zune?  How does it work?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My wife and I each have a Zune and we love them.  We have the monthly subscription and all though it doesn't have every song ever made(even iTunes doesn't have them all) the catalog is huge and we have downloaded thousands of songs.

With the subscription you can still purchase individual songs and keep them after you cancel.

Really like the Zune.

In my opinion the Ipod is a very uppity device kinda hippie arogant along with the rest of Apple that's why I shy away.

P
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife and I each have a Zune and we love them.  We have the monthly subscription and all though it doesn't have every song ever made(even iTunes doesn't have them all) the catalog is huge and we have downloaded thousands of songs.

With the subscription you can still purchase individual songs and keep them after you cancel.

Really like the Zune.

In my opinion the Ipod is a very uppity device kinda hippie arogant along with the rest of Apple that's why I shy away.

P

Can you use one subscription for the two units?  That would be ideal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been using a Creative Labs 40GB Zen MP3 player for about two years now, and I love it.

The iPod has more aftermarket accessories available, but the great thing about the Zen is that if you already have a ton of MP3s, you don't have to go to all the trouble of converting them into the format that Apple forces you to use.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really like the Zune.

P

Can you use one subscription for the two units?  That would be ideal.

I use Napster..   lets you use 3 diffrent comps + 3 diffrent phones/mp3 players..

i have a free one yr sub to it..    i really like it  <its 14.99 a month when the free part is over and I think its worth it.. >

as far as burning the songs..  my phone is with me EVERYWHERE and thats where i play my music.     in the car...  i connect the phone to the car stereo and im good to go  .
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The iPod has more aftermarket accessories available, but the great thing about the Zen is that if you already have a ton of MP3s, you don't have to go to all the trouble of converting them into the format that Apple forces you to use.

The iPod doesn't force you to change formats. It plays mp3s just fine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Anybody have an FM transmitter to use the car radio on either the Ipod or Zune?  How does it work?

They suck. Hardwire.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Get a simple MP3 player that can take a rechargeable AA or AAA battery.  They all work well, but the ones that have an internal rechargeable battery (like ipods) will need replacing sooner or later.

Unless you are running movies on it, there is no reason to spend more that $40-60 on one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Not good at all.  I got the one at WalMart, forget which brand, but it was $20-30.  It only works well when you are in an area with almost no radio signals.  The output is not strong enough to overcome interference, so you end up having to scan through frequencies often to find one that will work.

If you have a cassette tape player installed, get one of the cassette tape adapters.  $10. and they work great.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

That's not true.

All you have to do is import them into iTunes, which is nothing more complicated than clicking "Add to Library" and selecting the MP3's to add. iTunes does the rest in seconds. I have not had any of my MP3's "converted" into another format.

ETA: Drat. Beaten by X.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#44]
The iPod itself is a nice unit, until your battery fails.  

iTunes, is a DISASTER.  

No matter what anyone says, it is NOT "user friendly."  It sucks.  If it didn't suck, there would not be so many people dedicated to developing and using third party software instead of iTunes.  

I have a Zune, and while still somewhat clunky, the PC software is easier and more intuitive to use.  

The new 80GB Zune is very nice.  I have the "old" 30GB model, and enjoy it quite a bit.  Battery life is not as long as I would like (about 8-9 hours), and it does have to convert some video files before loading onto the player, but overall I like it much better than any iPod I've used.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

They all imho suck. The problem isn't the mp3 player, it's FM that causes them to suck. Listen to the radio vs a CD that is the difference in sound quality.

-JTP
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Thread hijack...

My wife has an iPod (nano?) that she bought a few months ago.  I've now played with it twice while jogging.  The one thing I really notice is that despite playing music that was sampled with a very high bitrate it sounds like garbage.  If I hold the ear buds in a very specific place in my ear that they don't naturally sit they sound a little better, but are still pretty crappy sounding.

Does anyone know of a good alternative on the cheap?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#47]
FWIW, it's pretty easy to change the battery in an iPod yourself. I wouldn't let the battery be the deciding factor. I do have issues with iTunes for anything not music related, but for music it's pretty easy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
...ear buds...

Apple ear buds are painful to wear and sound terrible.

Koss clip ons are kinda goofy looking, but sound a million times better. About $20.

Koss KSC-75
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...ear buds...

Apple ear buds are painful to wear and sound terrible.

Koss clip ons are kinda goofy looking, but sound a million times better. About $20.

Koss KSC-75
www.headphone.com/images/kossksc75front.jpg

Thanks.

I'm not concerned with the comfort.  I don't think they're uncomfortable, but I've only used them a couple of times while running.  My issue is that they sound like one of those old 45 LP kids record players from the 80s... maybe even a little worse.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Thanks,

Mike L.

Mike L.

Do you like and support Al Gore?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top