Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2007 10:20:51 PM EDT
I'm looking to pick up a cheaper in car GPS that i can mount on my windshield.  I'd like some of these attributes:

small
accurate
easy to use while driving
under $450

if anything you've got fits, let me know.  if you've had problems with one in the past, also please let me know.  thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Garmin C330. I love it. It does what it's supposed to, and it cost me like $300 at Wal Mart.

The only complaint (all GPS suffer from this) is that the Point of Interest Database is unreliable. But addresses are dead nuts on, and it frequently gets me to my destination faster than the local's directions do.

You really can't go wrong with anything Garmin makes for the car. Pick the features you want for the price, and buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Garmin C330. I love it. It does what it's supposed to, and it cost me like $300 at Wal Mart.

The only complaint (all GPS suffer from this) is that the Point of Interest Database is unreliable. But addresses are dead nuts on, and it frequently gets me to my destination faster than the local's directions do.

You really can't go wrong with anything Garmin makes for the car. Pick the features you want for the price, and buy with confidence.

i was looking at one of those and the reviews all seem good for it, as well as Best Buy has em for 249 on sale right now...
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Rand McNally Road Atlas, $6, gets me where I need to go....
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
bluetooth solar powered 32channel WAAS x-mitter off of ebay, $70

search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=bluetooth+solar+gps&category0=

PDA cellphone running windows mobile 5 and iGuidance, features turn by turn.

Also experimenting with google earth on the PDA.

Works great!
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
how many more years until interactive gps's are under 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Costco has the Garmin C580 units on sale for $350
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Garmin iQue. Handy little bugger, also doubles as a Palm Pilot. Far superior to the built-in DVD Nav that was an option in the Audi.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Garmin Nuvi 660. Love it. Pronounces road names, tunes in traffic reports. Recalulates multiple different routes if you miss turns. Only complaint is sometimes its a little late telling you to take turns which can be problematic in traffic (on streets with lower speed limits it will tell you in 0.1-0.2 miles to take a turn but if there is traffic on that road it will be too close to get over). However, you can easily see on the screen you will need to make a turn soon its just a problem if youre paying attention to traffic. Has 2gb of on board flash and preloaded with all north America maps. Can play directions, mp3s, and speakerphone (via bluetooth to a cell phone) thru its built in speaker or via fm radio to your car stereo (transmitter is a little weak).

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I borrowed a friend's NUVI navigation system and loved it.  It is small and mounts to the windshield by suction, plugs into your lighter outlet.  I has the voice prompt and I cannot praise it enough.  Driving through CA and would get hungry.  Typed in In-N-Out Burger and talked me right in.  Which ever model you eventually get, I strongly recommend the voice guide feature.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a Garmin StreetPilot c330. It was given to me as a birthday present last year by my parents.  They typically run about $400-$600, including the cost of extra map data.  

This unit would most likely fit your needs.  I have found the GPS to be accurate enough for my uses; it will generally get you within 100 feet of where you are trying to go, particularly if you are driving in a city or other developed area.  

I have had no problems with accuracy anywhere in Maryland, Virginia, Michigan or North Carolina.  My parents have an identical unit which they have taken to West Virginia, with no navigational difficulties.  

I continue to bring maps and printed driving directions with me when going out of town just as a backup, but I've yet to need them to make up for a GPS failure.  

My only complaints are that sometimes the reception is poor in bad weather, near trees or near tall buildings and the suction cup mount likes to come loose while driving.

Bad reception just causes a delay in satellite acquisition, and I would venture to guess that most GPS units have the same issue with reception.  

Edit: I found a site mentioning Garmin c330's like mine going for under $250: link
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a Nuvi 350 and it's pretty good, I have had occasions where it has told me turn right when I should have been turning left also when section of road is shared between two different roads before they split off, it may only show one of the roads.

I'm getting ready to go to France for a couple of weeks and I had planned on taking it with me but when I found out what the cost of the France SD2 card was, I changed my mind.  I'll just buy a map while I'm there.

I'm about 90% on it, I expected a little more.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#12]
TomTom

easy to use / Points of interests data base is excellent / durable.

use them in my business vans everyday. Great buy
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#13]
All I need is a road map, a compass and a great deal of optimism and wishful thinking!

Sadly, I end up lost all the time!
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Factory GPS in a Cadillac Escalade or BMW 325.....

Or mapquest-printed directions for other cars....
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought my wife a Garmin 530.  It's a good GPS and has a great receiver.  Didn't even lose reception going through the Hampton Roads I 64 tunnel!  Another nice thing about it is the "Garmin Lock" anti theft code.  Sure it can still be stolen, but it will be worthless to the person unless they know my code or start the GPS up in my garage!
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#16]
TomTom has served me well
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#17]
NUVI for the win.

PLus you can put it in your pocket and take it with you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Google maps on my PDA or Street and trips on laptop with sat reciever om winshield. All under $100.00
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm about thiiiiiiiis close to pulling the trigger on a Garmin Zumo 550. It's outside your price criterion by a factor of at least 2, but I'm going to use it for motorcycle and automobile use. I won't ever use the XM capabilities, but the Bluetooth has some applicability. I looked at the considerably less-expensive Zumo 450, but by the time I add mounts for the bike and truck (which are included with the Zumo 550), I'm not really saving anything.

I've been using a Garmin 12 Map since Heck was a pup. Still works fine, but it's pre-WAAS, very clunky interface, very small memory, huge battery hog.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#20]
MIO C220 under $200, portable ,reliable, easy to use. Used it on a recent 3600 mile trip and it worked great.
While on vacation we used it to travel backroads to a resort because the highways had construction delays. Anyway it took us down a dirt road for one leg of the drive and cut off about 30mins drive time. Wife was not amused by the dirt road (which was actually more mud than dirt) but my son and I thought it was good fun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had a Garmin C530 for about a year now and am very pleased with it's performance.

Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#22]
It's called a map, doesn't need batteries and got it cheap.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Garmin C320, Love it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Garmin NUVI 360.  Since the 660s (widescreen, FM transmitter added) have come out the price on the 360s have come down.  I love the thing, got it hardwired into my truck so I don't have any cords running.

- Voice prompts.  "Turn right on Oak Street" is better than "Turn right in point six miles"
- 3-D maps
- Up to 2MB of MP3's on a SD card
- Bluetooth Speakerphone
- Massive search for food, gas, airports, lakes, shopping, everything.

Whlie wasting some time in a town I didn't know very well, I typed "gun" into the search.  It gave me a list of 8-9 gun shops listed by distance.  I touched the first one and had turn-by-turn directions right to a gun shop I didn't know about.

Very handy.  Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Holux 236 Bluetooth receiver and iGuidance on the laptop.  It has a woman voice that tells me were to go.  It's almost replaced my wife
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Google maps on my PDA or Street and trips on laptop with sat reciever om winshield. All under $100.00

Google maps is very cool, I just downloaded it when I read your post.  Only downside is it needs a constant data connection (i.e. wifi hotspot or your cellphone connected to the internet).  Though very cool otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#27]
The Nuvi 350 has been leading me around flawlessly for six months now. I paid less than $400 online and it was worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I have an old Garmin Quest. It isn't the newest one on the block and it doesn't do the whole bluetooth/mp3 stuff; but it works well and it has about 20 hours of battery life if you need to use it as a hand held unit (without the car adapter).

Once in a while the map data is off (mainly due to new construction).

Got it for around $300 on eBay.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Have a Magellan Roadmate 700 that I purchased almost 2 years ago.

As a marketing rep that travels all over MD, DC and VA, its made my job much easier as it was difficult to look for addresses on the buildings, keep an eye on traffic, watch for pedestrians and read a map at the same time in some of these areas (like Northern VA, inside the Beltway or in Baltimore.

Just feel that I am a safer driver with it as I have fewer distractions and have to make fewer U-turns.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top