Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 9:38:33 AM EDT
www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Revolvers/Medusa_Model_47.htm

this freak of nature is very intriguing!  Anyone know how this thing is able to do what it does, which is "chambers, fires, and extracts 25 different cartridges in the .38/9mm/.357 ammunition range."?

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#1]
A special cylinder & extractor. I want one bad.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#2]
so the barrel is a smooth bore shotgun barrel? ...and the chambers are made of silly putty?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Found this link, explains it well. www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/sports/1277301.html

I dont see how it could be accurate....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#4]
9mm, .380ACP, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, etc. all use a .355" diameter bullet. The chamber and barrel just to be like a regular .357 Magnum. The extractor also acts as a moon clip (like in a 9mm or .45ACP revolver). So you can stick normal revolver rounds in it, or rimless auto rounds. They're all the same diameter, you just need to make the chamber long enough to fit the longest case (.357 Magnum) and the extractor/clip will hold rimless cartridges in the cylinder too. It's a very simple system and I'm honestly surprised nobody else has tried it.

Accuracy with auto calibers is way down; the bullet jumps through the chamber before it engages the rifling in the barrel. .357 Magnum is the most accurate and most powerful ammunition you can load into it, followed by .38 Special for accuracy. By the way, most 25 different cartridges it says it can chamber are just different names for the same calibers; I'd say off-hand that it can chamber around a dozen calibers; .38 S&W, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9x19mm, 9x21mm, .380ACP, etc.

9mm Makarov will not chamber because it uses a .365" diameter bullet instead of .355"; .357 SIG will not chamber because although the bullet is 9mm, the casing is just a necked down .40 S&W and won't fit into the chamber.

It's meant as the ultimate scrounger's gun for survivalists; even if you have just a handful of rounds in any given caliber, you can mix-and-match them into the cylinder and still have something that shoots.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Found this link, explains it well. www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/sports/1277301.html

Read Page 2 of your link:

But the chamber proved to be a tougher problem. With the shorter cartridges, particularly the .380 calibers, which have a greater distance to span in the chamber before they enter the barrel, there was too much room for movement. This affected accuracy.

Phillips teamed up with Roger Hunziker, now president of Phillips & Rodgers. The pair addressed the short-round accuracy problem by adding a comparatively shallow 6 degreesforcing cone at the end of each chamber, which helps to align the bullet before it reaches the barrel entrance. A second 11 degree forcing cone further aligns the bullet for accuracy. How accurate is accurate?

"If you must shoot with small, rimless ammo like the .380, this double-taper system can give a trained pistol shooter 2-in. to 2.5-in. groups at 25 ft.," says Hunziker. "At the same distance, you can achieve 1.5-in. to 2-in. groups all day long with 9mm rounds."

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It's not, using smaller cartridges like 9mm. Using .38 Special or .357 Magnum, accuracy is about what you would expect for a normal revolver chambered for those calibers. The ability to use other calibers in the .355" range is a survival benefit; i.e., "shit, I have a box of 9mm ammo that I found but no 9mm pistol, and I'm all out of .357 for my revolver. Oh wait, I can just stick the 9mm in my revolver until I find more .357 ammo."
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's a very simple system and I'm honestly surprised nobody else has tried it.

Guns and Ammo did a write up of one maybe ten years ago. They've been in production on and off for years by different manufacturers with different gimmicks to make sure theirs is different enough from the other guys to avoid lawsuits.

I've always seen these types of guns in the $1500 plus range so $899 really is a steal if you're into these.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top