BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/18/2007 9:01:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, OP, but I've been told that BMT bullets "know" that their target is a human, and behave differently than in controlled tests!
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!  Thanks again O_P!
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Old Painless wet T-shirt shot should please the ladies.

Nice job.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish I could retire.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you can all you want, but I was there when the shit went down in Grenada.

You hit a warm wrist with that stuff and it will amputate at the elbow.

Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks, OP, but I've been told that BMT bullets "know" that their target is a human, and behave differently than in controlled tests!

Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Great test as usual!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Man, just pointing the gun at him makes the bad guy wet himself!
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]
These BOT threads are entertaining - i sure hope people here aren't choosing their self-defense cartridges based on these unscientific tests....  
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Very good BoT, O_P!

Lesson learned: Stick to deep-penetration and forget the hype.

HH
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
These BOT threads are entertaining - i sure hope people here aren't choosing their self-defense cartriges based on these unscientific tests....  

....O_P isn't trying to compete with the IWBA here.

It just happens that his results pretty much follow what you see in IWBA tests. IWBA tests on RCBD "blended metal" ammo has shown that it offers very shallow penetration....

Pretty much what O_P is showing here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The round left a "smokestack" in my P-32, so we decided to try another round to test feeding.

Same thing as a "stovepipe"???
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#14]

OP IN '08
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Man, just pointing the gun at him makes the bad guy wet himself!

Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#16]
He never said it was cold water. Prehaps you miss judged the Texas heat which got to 96 degs here yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#18]
O_P its cool that you don't just trust these things on blind faith and developed a test based on analysis of real world data.  

-JTP

ETA, Nice work, love the BoT posting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Now OP,

I always enjoy your posts, but this was unfair nonsense.

EVERYBODY knows the blended-metal smart bullet technology doesn't kick in the real terminal ballistics until it meets warm flesh. It is designed for minimum penetration for cold objects and barriers as a safety feature.

Rest assured, if you would have tested properly against warm meat, the bullet would have ripped the target in half.

Assuming you're not being sarcastic, the testings was done in TX in July, and the water in the jugs would likely be at a temperature in the 90s or above.

BMT technology couldn't possibly be smart enough to differentiate between 98.6 degree meat and water most likely in the 90-110 degree range.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#21]
the only objection i have is that you need a disclaimer stating that these are for informational purposes only....
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Nice job.

Yup ... Hotties of ARFCOM here he comes girls.

These threads are worthless without a T Man catching me in full recoil pic ...

T Man is the behind the scenes, unsung hero in these threads.

OP is just another pretty face ...

GET SOME T MAN !!!

Joking.

Nice job guys.

BK

Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#23]
We need pretty girls, not OP, to pose next to the jugs.

Especially if wet t-shirts are involved.

Good work, Painless.

John
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#24]
"BMT bullets ONLY work well when shot into warm meat ..."

Rrrrroger that.

Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
the only objection i have is that you need a disclaimer stating that these are for informational purposes only....

Oh Jesus Christ...
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

do you follow O_Ps testing much

I have never seen him claim here or on his BOT website that he was doing this for anything other than fun and informal info

do you have a specific bone with any of the numerous tests he has done?

I can't name a one of his tests that has been contrary to independent "scientific" testing done.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh Jesus Christ...

PLUS ONE THOUSAND
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Batman? ... is that you?
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice job.

Yup ... Hotties of ARFCOM here he comes girls.

These threads are worthless without a T Man catching me in full recoil pic ...

T Man is the behind the scenes unsung hero in these threads.

OP is just another pretty face ...

i17.tinypic.com/6f7zdc0.jpg

GET SOME T MAN !!!

Joking.

Nice job guys.

BK

Hey O_P, I know you tested the CZ-52 on the kevlar helmet and in the Books O' Truth, but did you ever do a regular water jug test of it? I'm curious to see how it compares to the other calibers in terms of penetration.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
These BOT threads are entertaining - i sure hope people here aren't choosing their self-defense cartridges based on these unscientific tests....  

Maybe you should read this from his website:

The Box O' Truth - Disclaimer

Some negative comments require me to make some clarifications regarding the Box O' Truth experiments.
  I am not a high dollar laboratory. I use "poor-boy" test methods.
  While I try to maintain some scientific soundness in my tests, they are certainly not "scientifically perfect".
  To have "scientifically perfect" tests would involve many, many controls and repeatability issues. I have neither the time, money, nor inclination to do such tests.
  I am shooting things, taking pictures, and recording what I see. I do this for both my enjoyment and entertainment and for my friends.
  I am not trying to "prove" anything. I'm just having fun and recording what I observe.
  I am not recommending any brand or caliber of ammo based upon my observations.
  If you disagree with what I observe, fine with me. But this is my site.
  It's fun to shoot stuff.
  Do not try to copy these types of experiments yourself. If you are injured, it is your sole responsibility and I will not be held responsible for any damage or injuries.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
As stated before, my results tend to agree with professional lab results.

Well, except for the "will bread stop a bullet?" test.

I think the IWBA isn't brave enough to take on the Big Wheat Conspiracy.

Other than that, ya.

If O_P shot the RCBD ammo and it penetrated all the water jugs and it continued on to zip through the berm and take out low flying aircraft, he'd post the results....but he wouldn't recommend going out and dumping all your money into RCBD ammo because it is the hammer of thor....

And to backup further what O_P said, if RCBDS ammo could be beaten by a retired guy with a shoestring budget and some gallon jugs of water, I sure as heck ain't packing it....
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#35]
You guys are slipping.  Hey O_P is that an XD or an XP 9?  

"Let's try a 9mm out of my Springfield XP."
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I seem to get the idea that many here aren't familiar with the BMT flame wars from yore.

BMT bullets performed beyond imagination in special tests suited to their special abilities, which can't be disclosed nor reproduced!  In the real world, you could shoot a guy in the ankle and the 'extreme shock' would blow off his entire head.  The technology meeting warm living flesh does that.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I hope this is a joke.  If not, you are making Illinois look bad..... (well worse - we already have Daly and Blagotard).
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Choose proper ammo selection from these sites

1.) www.firearmstactical.com/

2.) demigodllc.com/~zak/firearms/fbi-pistol.php?sort=wv2

3.) www.tacticalshotgun.ca/index.html

these sites use properly calibrated ordinance gelatin to conduct their testing...

With special mention for Chuck Hawks site

THIS site is handy for you hands-on folks

Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What else would a post on AR15.com be for?  I sure ain't making any money off of this stuff.

As far as your comment "i sure hope people here aren't choosing their self-defense cartridges based on these unscientific tests....", I don't understand your objection at all.

I certainly would base my ammo selection on these tests, because they show that this ammo does not meet the minimum penetration requirements.

$10,000 of additional testing would not change that problem.

Well played OP - and thanks again.  Another great BOT.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you should read this from his website:

The Box O' Truth - Disclaimer

Some negative comments require me to make some clarifications regarding the Box O' Truth experiments.
  I am not a high dollar laboratory. I use "poor-boy" test methods.
  While I try to maintain some scientific soundness in my tests, they are certainly not "scientifically perfect".
  To have "scientifically perfect" tests would involve many, many controls and repeatability issues. I have neither the time, money, nor inclination to do such tests.
  I am shooting things, taking pictures, and recording what I see. I do this for both my enjoyment and entertainment and for my friends.
  I am not trying to "prove" anything. I'm just having fun and recording what I observe.
  I am not recommending any brand or caliber of ammo based upon my observations.
  If you disagree with what I observe, fine with me. But this is my site.
  It's fun to shoot stuff.
  Do not try to copy these types of experiments yourself. If you are injured, it is your sole responsibility and I will not be held responsible for any damage or injuries.

Dilbert_556 is correct.  That's right off the site.

However, some people misunderstand that to mean that my tests are meaningless.  They are not.

As stated before, my results tend to agree with professional lab results.  If they did not, I would wonder why.

"Poor-boy" tests do not mean "worthless" tests.

I certainly don't think that!  I would trust an honest man with no monetery interests in any specific product doing down to earth "this is what it does" tests any day.

Please don't let people like Rampant_Colt or other people like him discourage you from continuing the Box-O-Truth.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks again, Old_Painless.

Have you ever considered testing 7.62x25 HP ammo like this in the BoxOTruth?  

I wonder how that little 85 GR pill would do.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Choose proper ammo selection from these sites

1.) www.firearmstactical.com/

2.) demigodllc.com/~zak/firearms/fbi-pistol.php?sort=wv2

3.) www.tacticalshotgun.ca/index.html

these sites use properly calibrated ordinance gelatin to conduct their testing...

With special mention for Chuck Hawks site

THIS site is handy for you hands-on folks

Oh, for fuck's sake, stop taking yourself so damned seriously.

You need to consult a proctologist and a talented carpenter,  that board up your ass is making you cranky.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Can someone address todays stupid question from me?

O.P. stated that the FBI recommends at least 12 " of penetration for ammo to be considered effective in its terminal effects.

If I take one hand and place it on my stomach and the other hand on my back, directly opposite, the distance between the two is less than 12" as far as I can tell. Not much less...but still less.

If a minimum penetration of 12" is recommended, that sucker would go in one side and out the other.

The goal isn't to have the bullet exit, but to create a traumatic wound cavity within the target.

Where am I going wrong here?
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Oh, for fuck's sake, stop taking yourself so damned seriously.

You need to consult a proctologist and a talented carpenter,  that board up your ass is making you cranky.

wipe that brown stuff off of your nose, it makes you look foolish
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The 12 inch ballistics gel standard isn't a 1:1 reproduction of penetration in human flesh. The standard comes from studying lots of actual shooting victims and doing lots of animal shooting tests to come up with the conclusion that a bullet that will offer 12 inches of penetration in properly calibrated ballistics gel will result in a round that will (probably) penetrate enough in a human target to hit major vital structures. It doesn't necessarily relate to getting 12 inches of penetration inside a human being. The Gel itself is the best simulation of human tissue anybody knows of right now, but there are factors at play in real people that mean you need more than the 5 or 6 (or however many) inches of penetration that you would think you need to reach your heart by just glancing at the situation.

You are also considering a best case scenario where a bullet enters your guts from a frontal shot....you aren't taking into account that the round has to be capable of penetrating through bone, muscle mass, fat, and all the other wonderful variations that happen when you are shooting into actual human targets who are moving around and in less than ideal positions....like say having to shoot someone through their arm (in the bicep/shoulder region) and still have enough pepper on the shot to penetrate into the heart and lungs to stop their hostile actions.

Edited to try and eliminate some confusing language.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#49]
height=8
Quoted:
I seem to get the idea that many here aren't familiar with the BMT flame wars from yore.

BMT bullets performed beyond imagination in special tests suited to their special abilities, which can't be disclosed nor reproduced!  In the real world, you could shoot a guy in the ankle and the 'extreme shock' would blow off his entire head.  The technology meeting warm living flesh does that.  hich,

height=8
Quoted:
Can someone address todays stupid question from me?

O.P. stated that the FBI recommends at least 12 " of penetration for ammo to be considered effective in its terminal effects.

If I take one hand and place it on my stomach and the other hand on my back, directly opposite, the distance between the two is less than 12" as far as I can tell. Not much less...but still less.

If a minimum penetration of 12" is recommended, that sucker would go in one side and out the other.

The goal isn't to have the bullet exit, but to create a traumatic wound cavity within the target.

Think like the FBI - they won't necessarily have a M4 sized target - a 500 lb Bubba with 2 layers of long johns, overalls, and winter coat would need quite a lot more penetration to defeat than a naked 120 lb'er... A startling number of people are waaaaay more than 12 inches thick.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Now OP,

I always enjoy your posts, but this was unfair nonsense.

EVERYBODY knows the blended-metal smart bullet technology doesn't kick in the real terminal ballistics until it meets warm flesh. It is designed for minimum penetration for cold objects and barriers as a safety feature.

Rest assured, if you would have tested properly against warm meat, the bullet would have ripped the target in half.

I'll give it a try against feral hogs, dogs or whatever else might be the nuisance of the week but I bet the results will be the same.

Well they might do good against feral house cats but they don't take much to stop them.

BigDozer66
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top