Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2007 11:25:31 PM EDT
I just saw him wandering around in a lava field on the Big Island of Hawaii. He was acting like he was walking for miles and miles trying to find civilization.

It just so happens that I live in Hawaii and my favorite past time is hiking. I recognized the area he was hiking in. He was walking along the southwest rift just a few hundred yards off of Crater Rim Drive (the paved main road that circles Kilauea Caldera) near the Ka'u Desert Trailhead. There is a parking area just off camera where tour buses full of old people get out to poke along the crack and take pictures. I even recognized a few pu'u (hills) off in the distance that confirmed his location.
After he's done walking around the rift explaining the geology of the area (which he got all wrong) he suddenly magically appears at his destination: the Lae'apuki Lava Delta which is about 30 miles away!
The lava delta is the famous area of Hawaii where the lava from Pu'u O'o vent pours into the ocean and produces a big steam cloud. To get there, you simply drive to end of Chain of Craters Road and follow the well marked trail anywhere from a few hundred feet to 3 miles depending on where the lava flow has shifted. Mr Survivalist was standing at the end of that trail acting like he just walked cross-country from the southwest rift.
Then he magically appears on the far (east side) of the lava delta again acting like he hiked there. If he actually did that, he would have had to walk across and ACTIVE LAVA FLOW that's about 2000 F. Its also against park regulations (he's in a national park) to walk on active flows.
To get where he is standing now, requires you to drive half way across the island to the area known as Puna and take the new road the county bulldozed across the lava a few years ago at the end of Highway 130 past Pahoa.
Mr. Outdoorsman then pointed and excitedly proclaimed he found what he was looking for: civilization! The camera then panned to the parking area of the new county road.

All this asshole did was drive around the Big Island then get out the car and walk around a bit and pretend he was on a big expedition. Every place they showed him was literally only a few hundred yards (at most) from paved road.

Link Posted: 5/12/2007 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
haha.  Kinda reminds me of the family guy episode where peter is on survivor and falls through the set and you can see the price is right.
Link Posted: 5/12/2007 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just saw him wandering around in a lava field on the Big Island of Hawaii. He was acting like he was walking for miles and miles trying to find civilization.

It just so happens that I live in Hawaii and my favorite past time is hiking. I recognized the area he was hiking in. He was walking along the southwest rift just a few hundred yards off of Crater Rim Drive (the paved main road that cirlces Kilauea Caldera) near the Ka'u Desert Trailhead. There is a parking area just off camera where tour buses full of old people get out to poke along the crack and take pictures. I even recognized a few puu (hills) off in the distance that confirmed his location.
After he's done walking around rift explaining the geology of the area (which he got all wrong) he suddenly magically appears at his destination: the Lae'apuki Lava Delta which is about 30 miles away!
The lava delta is the famous area of Hawaii where the lava from Puu O'o vent pours into the ocean and produces a big steam cloud. To get there, you simply drive to end of Chain of Craters road and follow the well marked trail anywhere from a few hundred feet to 3 miles depending on where the lava flow has shifted. Mr Survivalist was standing at the end of that trail acting like he just walked cross-country from the southwest rift.
Then he magically appears on the far (east side) of the lava delta again acting like he hiked there. If he actually did that, he would have had to walk across and ACTIVE LAVA FLOW that's about 2000 F. Its also against park regulations (he's in a national park) to walk on active flows.
To get where he is standing now, requires you to drive half way across the island to the area known as Puna and take the new road the county bulldozed a few years ago at the end of Highway 130 past Pahoa.
Mr. Outdoorsman then pointed and excitedly proclaimed he found what he was looking for: civilization! The camera then paned to the parking area of the new county road.

All this asshole did was drive around the Big Island then get out the car and walk around a bit and pretend he was on big expedition. Every place they showed him was literally only a few hundred yards (at most) from paved road.

You mean TV Lied to me?
Link Posted: 5/12/2007 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, man vs. Wild is a joke.....

a dangerous one.  I saw his desert survival episode filmed in Moad, Utah and I about flipped my lid.  I got all the kids around me and told them "THIS IS HOW TO GET KILLED IN THE DESERT....DO NOT EVER LISTEN TO THIS GUY!"
Link Posted: 5/12/2007 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I always had my suspicions....

Link Posted: 5/12/2007 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I should host that show. Look how EXTREME! I am!

Link Posted: 5/13/2007 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
All the MvsW apologists and fan boys will be along shorty and have a meltdown after reading your post.

Link Posted: 5/13/2007 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If he actually did that, he would have had to walk across and ACTIVE LAVA FLOW that's about 2000 F. Its also against park regulations (he's in a national park) to walk on active flows.

you mean actually have to be told not to walk across an active lava flow? isn't that rather obvious?
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If he actually did that, he would have had to walk across and ACTIVE LAVA FLOW that's about 2000 F. Its also against park regulations (he's in a national park) to walk on active flows.

you mean actually have to be told not to walk across an active lava flow? isn't that rather obvious?

believe it or not you can actually walk on an active flow (if they're moving slow enough). The surface is hard and it takes a very experienced eye to distinguish active lava from old lava. In the daytime it is easy to wander onto one if you're not alert (at night time you can see the glow in the cracks). You can walk on them for a few minutes until you realize something is wrong, The first sign of a problem is when all the rubber on your shoes melts and expands into giant clown shoes. By then, it will take you a few minutes to run to safety so you will be burned pretty bad.

See how much I know? I should be hosting that damned TV show!
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
All the MvsW apologists and fan boys will be along shorty and have a meltdown after reading your post.

There are actually people who like him?
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 1:52:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Unlike the survivorman guy the man vs. wild dude has a whole camera crew and can get help or a snack from them if he needs it. Survivorman is a one man show with all the production,camera work and writing done by the one guy. If he breaks his shit out in the woods he's in trouble.Man vs. Wild = tool.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 4:40:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On ARFCOM? Indeed there are. They seem to think that because Bear is former SAS that he somehow is the worlds preeminent survival expert. In reality, he is a self-promoting blowhard.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#12]
HEy your just jealous that he thought of this racket and you didn't
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Seen the show a few times and he sucks and does some really STUPID STUFF,    I would rather spend my time watching SURVIVORMAN!!!   Now that dude is the real deal ..
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 4:49:50 AM EDT
[#14]
So his over embellished panting is fake? I hate that guy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]
u can tell some of the things he does are stunts planed out
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:03:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I noticed on the episode where he is walking through the wilds of Africa that the clips they show on TV weren't in the order that they happend.  Big indicator was the smeared hand print of dirt he put on his shirt for some reason.  When he got dropped off his shirt was clean then a couple minutes later his shirt looked really abused and you could tell he had taken a hand full of dirt and wiped it across his shoulder and the rest of his shirt was all dusty.  Then a couple minutes later his shirt was clean again.  Then it was dirty.  Then it was clean.  That happend most of the show.  He must have decided his trip didn't look rough enough towards the end so he dirtied himself up to make it look like he had been through it all.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I especially liked the rain forest episode using vines to descend a waterfall then going back up it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Following his advice or actions is a good way to get yourself killed.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's not necessarily a bad thing.  Whoever follows his advice probably deserves to get whacked.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I noticed on the episode where he is walking through the wilds of Africa that the clips they show on TV weren't in the order that they happend.  Big indicator was the smeared hand print of dirt he put on his shirt for some reason.  When he got dropped off his shirt was clean then a couple minutes later his shirt looked really abused and you could tell he had taken a hand full of dirt and wiped it across his shoulder and the rest of his shirt was all dusty.  Then a couple minutes later his shirt was clean again.  Then it was dirty.  Then it was clean.  That happend most of the show.  He must have decided his trip didn't look rough enough towards the end so he dirtied himself up to make it look like he had been through it all.

That's the one where he squeezed the juice out of the elephant poo...into his mouth. Cool and refreshing! I think he soaked it down with a pint of guinness beforehand.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Like eating raw flesh from the rotting carcass of a dead zebra?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That's the one where he squeezed the juice out of the elephant poo...into his mouth. Cool and refreshing! I think he soaked it down with a pint of guinness beforehand.

You know, I think that I'd actually prefer to die of dehydration, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I've never watched the show.  I'm a long-time hiker, backpacker and Scout leader and the ads for it seemed way too over-the-top and unrealistic to me.  Looks like I was right.

Southern Utah is crawling with assholes like this guy.  They all seem to think because they have the latest in gear they can ignore common sense.  A few of them die from heat or thirst or falls every year.

Darwinism in action.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd like to see him "survive" in the Superstition mountain range during July.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't believe they put this fraud on TV.  The Survivorman show is interesting but Man VS Wild is pure bull*hit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:14:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Bullshit....yes.

Bad ass Brietling Emergency $5k watch...........yes.
ETA: Page two.....................absolutely!
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I find some aspects of the show entertaining, but I do not consider him to be an expert of any kind...well, maybe a cable show actor, i.e., Escape to the Legion, Man vs. Wild.  

Blake
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I can't believe they put this fraud on TV.  The Survivorman show is interesting but Man VS Wild is pure bull*hit.

Quoted for truth.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I KNEW IT!!!! I thought that guy was total Bullshit..........
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd almost bet that his accent is fake, too.

It's pretty much common knowledge here that he's a fraud. In a previous thread, someone mentioned noticing a lifevest under his shirt when he was swimming.

I have a lot of respect for Les Stroud (SP?) (Suvivorman) I don't seem to ever see his show on anymore.

I can be bumping through the channels and catch the man vs. wild WAY too often, IMO. His show is easy to spot...he's usually doing something that doesn't involving surviving. (climbing, jumping, etc.)

Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#31]
You can tell from the camera work that it's all canned. Survivorman shows how he does it, and you can tell he's the only one there and the one doing all the filming.  This guy has professional camera crew following him, getting ahead of him... Or he gets into danger and the camera is already in position INSIDE the danger to catch good video of him in the danger.

Survivorman is the original. Even if it's not as exciting as MvW, it's as real as it can reasonably get.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks like Les Stroud is working on a new season.  www.lesstroudonline.com/
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I remember a while ago in another Man vs. Wild topic, someone said something and it makes pretty good sense to me.

If I were about to get in a bar fight, I wouldn't mind having Bear Grylls with me.

In a plane crash in the Alps though, I think I'll stand a better chance with Les Stroud.  Stroud at least explains why it's dumb to do things like wading around in a frozen lake or drinking questionable water, where Grylls just jumps in for the cinematic effect.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#34]
You can wipe your butt with one pinkie and that makes you extreme? Hell, eat some extra hot Thai food and you'll be needing ALL your fingers! That's REALLY extreme!

Quoted:
I should host that show. Look how EXTREME! I am!

Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I love the episode when he floats down the river... only thing is you can see his oversized life vest stuffed under his shirt.  After I saw that silly shit I decided to never watch it again. fake, fake and tripple fake.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I liked the one where he was like, "The water here is running, so it's probably good!" and then wound up puking his guts out later that night with a "tummy bug."  Serves him right, the stupid bastard.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On ARFCOM? Indeed there are. They seem to think that because Bear is former SAS that he somehow is the worlds preeminent survival expert. In reality, he is a self-promoting blowhard.
Yeah. It is worth pointing out that the territorial SAS is not the same thing as 22 SAS. They perform some of the same roles and they also have a selection process, but the TA SAS Regiments are not on the same level as the active duty SAS Regiment.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#38]
You mean to tell me that the guy that says, dont drink water from a puddle, but squeeze it out of elephant shit is a fraud??
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

w00t!
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#40]
B-b-b-but he's like a SAS guy! Like the FutureWeapons guy!
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. It is worth pointing out that the territorial SAS is not the same thing as 22 SAS. They perform some of the same roles and they also have a selection process, but the TA SAS Regiments are not on the same level as the active duty SAS Regiment.

That would make it something like a Reserve unit?
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#42]
One of the red flags for me was when he climbed up the cliff to get raw birds eggs (dangerous and stupid on many levels).  When he opened them up they looked like regular chicken eggs, but the bird's eggs should have had an embryo in it.  Probably just a regular egg that was planted.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

w00t!

lol
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#44]
His show isn't about education, it's about entertainment. I would never try to do what he does (like scale up a canyon face) but it's really cool to watch him do it.

Survivorman is quite the opposite. Extremely educational, sometimes entertaining, but also sometimes a little boring.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would make it something like a Reserve unit?
Something like that, but not like our reserve units.

In the National Guard SF Groups for instance, the soldiers go to the regular Army SFAS and then to the Q-Course like any other SF soldier. There is no difference in the training recieved by SF soldiers in the Guard and on active duty. Same for reserve PJs, Force Recon, and SEALs(although I'm not sure if there are still reserve SEAL teams).

The TA SAS units do not operate in the same way. They hold their own selection and their own training which is NOT the same as that recieved by members of 22 SAS.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#46]
He is a five pound sack stuffed with ten pounds of bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I especially liked the rain forest episode using vines to descend a waterfall then going back up it.

Yeah, I saw that and thought it was completely idiotic.  He is nothing but a reckless, over dramatic, over hyped, showboating tit jiggler.
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#48]
That episode is on tonight.
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#49]
who was the dude who had a chubby for him and got all butt-hurt in the multiple page thread a few months ago?

dude was challenging folks to fight over disrespecting bear    
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't really care, either way its a fun and entertaining show.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top