Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2001 8:38:33 AM EDT
I just got a cable modem but unfortunately, it won't work.  I live on the second floor as a tenant in a single family dwelling.  The Landlord uses the downstairs as an office and has the cable being split to go to his computers and tvs first... so by the time i get my split, the signal is too weak, or something like that.  What is my cheapest option to get it to work???  Should I run a second line and split the cost with a downstairs tenant who also wants a cable modem (keeping in mind that if we do this we will not be cable tv subscribers and will thus have to pay the full optimum online charge of 40.00 bucks) or is it possible to set up my landlords splitters in a more efficient manner that will allow me to get a strong signal and only pay 19.95 as an additional modem on his existing account.

Damn... this is more complex than i thought...
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a telecommunications engineer with the Department of Defense. Having a new cable brought in would be a cure, but splitting it could degrade the bandwidth available, thus impacting speed. Another thing you can try is to get youself a line-amp. Radio Shack has them, they are cheap and should boost the signal enough to get the cable modem to work. Shortfall in doing this is you'll introduce and amplify any noise that's inherently on the cable. This also can affect speed. Heck, if it don't work you could always take it back, rite? Another thing you could try to to reconfigure the cable layout. Try this: Have your landlord remove all the splitters. Run the cable directly up to your floor. Split the cable at your location, run the cable back down to the landlord's location and provide him with an amp BEFORE he splits to each one of his sets. This should work nicely and will satisfy everyone. If all else fails, I would cancel your sub to cable and go with ADSL(DSL). Though not quite as fast, the bandwidth is not shared with hundreds (thousands) of other subscribers, it uses your phone lines, and is not subject to sharing of bandwidth. You effectively have a "point to point" dedicated bandwidth circuit and the cost is comparable to cable (here in Hawaii cable is 39.95 P/m, DSL 1.544 mbps is 49.95 per month)and both have identical services (email addresses, storage space, etc). Once you get your broadband working, you'll need to "tweek" W98/ME/2000 for maximum MTU and throughput. You can D/L a program called "TweakMASTER" from www.tucows.com. Its shareware and you can trial it for 20 days. If you like you but for 29.95. It's well worth it. It has boosted performance of my machine by 150%. My typical DL speeds average better than 250kbps! Hope this all helps. Email me if you need more help.
[stick] [bounce]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#3]
First of all you could call the service provider and ask them how to set up the cable modem properly.  They should be willing to help you out since they have a vested interest in you ability to use their service.  Another option would be to get a separate cable and split the cost with your neighbor.  If you are on good terms, you can share one cable modem and hook up multiple computers to it using a home router (aka home portal).  I've got one from 2wire ( www.2wire.com ) and it works great.  We've got 2 computers hooked up to a single cable modem and each gets full speed service.  Since our service provider hosts up to 3 e-mail accounts with no extra charge, me, my wife, and my mother in law all have individual e-mail accounts as well.  In my case, I was extra fortunate since both rooms already had phone wiring.  I could use the existing phone wiring to network in my mother in law's computer and avoid crawling around under the house to run new wires.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#4]
How about putting a splitter on the line as soon as it comes into the house, one line up to you and the other line to a second splitter that goes to all of his components.
That's how the cable service rep set up mine when I was having problems with my modem recently.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
big question is how was it split??

my cable modem came with a special splitter to split off the data signal from the video signal. the video signal we then sent into a switchbox that allows us to manage several inputs to our entertainment systems.

there is only one feed off for the data, but several for the video. never had a degradation issue. hell, I got 14 computers networked into the single data connection via a Linux router.
(yes this is at home) I'm a geek by trade.

make sure the splitters are good splitters, all cable is high-grade and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I networked my 2nd computer using ethernet.

That's how my cable company adds a 2nd computer to the line.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Get down there & split the cable for your use in front of your landlords.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Scipio

Dsl is one option to go as written by progun which is digital phone line to your room.

Trying the Cheap Amplifier and boosting signal -I have done it with TV and have not tried it on broadband connection, so you could try that as proposed in prev. replies.

Another option; Do not know how legal it is, so it is just a suggestion.

If you are not too far away (Within 150ft)of your Landlord's cable modem.  If your Landlord allows, you could take that RJ45 Twisted Pair Network Cable coming out of the his cable modem and insert it into a 5 port Hub or buy a short Network cable for this purpose. Please note that this short network cable will go from his Cable Modem's RJ45 connector to the special port on your purchased Ethernet HUB that is used for hub connection.  Next, insert your Lanlords Network Cable from his PC NIC into the one of 5 ports available on the Ethernet Hub.  Run a New RJ45 Network Cable to your PC's Ethernet NIC. And if you wish to have another person in your building to share, run it to his PC too ( I think you mentioned one other person).  You will be sharing the Bandwidth with these Guys but it will still be fast as not everyone will be hogging the bandwidth.  

Make sure you Network Card TCP/IP Protocol properties, you have checked the boxes, Obtain IP address automatically and also Obtain DNS Server address automatically.  This will allow each individual person in your building an IP address to surf with. This is where I do not know if it is legal to do it or you have to pay for each use.  Mention this to Cable people and they will most probably say you gotta pay or do not do this, or you can wait and let them tell you.  Your choice.

Also, if you plan on testing this, you can take your PC or laptop downstairs and test it so you do not do the wiring first.  

Also, Buy the Hub from Best Buy or somewhere you can return it if it does not work, so you do not waste money.  I am also assuming you already have a built-in Network (NIC) in your PC or installed one. You can always buy one and return it if you don't.

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Also I have mentioned RJ45 interface -Twisted Network Cable.  Some people use USB Connectors and USB PC NIC.  Most people at home and work still use RJ45 connections (Ends that look like bigger regular phone connectors).

Do not buy DSL/Cable Routers, they would be expensive for this test and might create more of a problem but it would have the advantage of only one IP address from the ISP getting used abd the DHCP of the DSL/Cable Router assigns your local intranet addresses of it's own to your home PCs.

I would buy a plain Hub.  I was able to get one for $30 and also had a rebate.  

If this works, you will need fire-wall software like black ice to protect your PC from outside. But not necessary for this test and trial.

I have a home a Wire-Less DSL/CABLE setup for family members to surf from their own rooms using their PCs with Wire-Less NICs while I do it from my Laptop from anyway in the house within range using my Laptop wireless NIC.  It only uses one IP address from ISP and Wireless DSL/CABLE router assigns every home PC it's own IP address internally via DHCP. IT works great and bandwidth is great even with people sharing.  I can download 10 Meg file in under 50 secs.  But my neighborhood my not have many Cable modems.

Since the VPN to my Work Network was not working well because of DSL/CABLE wireless routers DHCP and the way ir routes. I had to buy an additional non-routing Hub, like I suggested to you and integrated it into Home setup so I can connect to work via VPN via hardwire and  also surf the rest of internet wireless.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got a cable modem but unfortunately, it won't work.  I live on the second floor as a tenant in a single family dwelling.  The Landlord uses the downstairs as an office and has the cable being split to go to his computers and tvs first... so by the time i get my split, the signal is too weak, or something like that.  What is my cheapest option to get it to work???  Should I run a second line and split the cost with a downstairs tenant who also wants a cable modem (keeping in mind that if we do this we will not be cable tv subscribers and will thus have to pay the full optimum online charge of 40.00 bucks) or is it possible to set up my landlords splitters in a more efficient manner that will allow me to get a strong signal and only pay 19.95 as an additional modem on his existing account.

Damn... this is more complex than i thought...
View Quote

I had the same issue.  Have the cable guy run a line to the main and have it split there.  I have a line to the computer and TV that splits at the service.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Then after you have it all working get the DSL/Cable modem Router and run a line down to your neighbors and you can then split the total cost and only pay like $20 per month each.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys...
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I just wanted to add that the problems I had were solved with a new modem.

My modem wouldn't connect between 6:15am-5:15pm every day of the week. It just simply wouldn't work. It would start working at 5:15pm and work fine all night then suddenly stop working at 6:15am.

I cannot explain how the old modem could possibly have caused this but changing the modem definitely fixed the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top