Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2007 4:44:49 PM EDT
Just something to keep in mind when you hear people saying that GUNS are the reason shit like what happened today happens.  They AREN'T, ASSHOLES are what causes this sort of shit and Andrew Kehoe didn't SHOOT most of his victims....he blew them up (The better part of a century ago to boot).

www.columbine-angels.com/other_shootings.htm

Consolidated School of Bath, Bath, Michigan

Wednesday, May 18, 1927

Farmer Andrew Kehoe went out for revenge when his farm mortgage was foreclosed upon and the taxes he was paying went to a new school building.  Andrew was the treasurer on the school board, but he quickly became disgruntled and demented when his taxes started going to the school.  This morning, he planted dynamite in the school's basement and left the doomed children and school behind.  At 9:40 a.m., ten minutes after school had started for the day, school violence became a part of American history.  The north wing of the school exploded, killing nearly 40 students and teachers. The fuses in the south wing were smoldering, but timely discovery of the dynamite allowed it to be defused, or else up to 260 students and all the teachers would have died.  As parents rushed toward the blast, Andrew drove back into the school yard. He waved over Emory E. Huyk, the school superintendent, then fired a shot into the back seat of his car that was filled with more dynamite.  By noon, the two explosions had killed 38 students; two teachers; Emory Huyk, the superintendent; Glenn Smith, the village postmaster; a retired farmer, Nelson McFarhen and the demented Andrew.  58 students and teachers were injured in the blast. The next morning, his wife's body was found in an outbuilding on their farm with her skull crushed.  Andrew had dynamited his home, barn and wagon shed, all were still on fire when villagers arrived.  Bath is eight miles northeast of Lansing.  For statistical purposes, I'm counting this as a middle school.

THOSE WHO DIED:

Arnold Bauerle, 8 Henry Bergen Herman Bergen
Amelia Bromundt, 11 (sibling) Robert Bromundt, 12 (sibling) Floyd Burnett
Russell Chapman, 10 Cleo Clayton, 8 Robert Cochran, 8
Ralph Cushman, 7 Earl Ewing, 12 Catherine Foote, 11
Marjorie Fritz Carlyle Geisenhaver, 10 Beatrice Gibbs
George Hall, Jr., 8 (sibling) Willa Hall, 11 (sibling) Iola Hart, 13
Percy Hart, 12 Vivian Hart, 10 Blanch Harte, 30 teacher
Galen Harte Stanley Harte, 10 LaVerne Robert Harte, 9
Francis Hoppener Cecial Loren Hunter, 14 Emory E. Huyk
Doris Johns, 10 instigator Andrew Kehoe Nellie Kehoe
Thelma McDonald Clarence McFarren, 14 Nelson McFarhen
Emerson Metcoff Emma Nichols, 12 Richard Richardson, 13
Elsie Robb, 11 Pauline Shirts Glenn Smith
Hazel Weatherbee, 20 teacher Elizabeth Witchell (sibling) Lucille Witchell (sibling)
Harold Woodman, 9 George Zimmerman, 10 Lloyd Zimmerman, 12

THE INJURED:

Lloyd Babcock Norris Babcock Vera Babcock
Ruth Barnes Anna Braska Earl Chapman
Aurthur Delau Ida Delau Marcia Detluff
Adabelle Dolton Iva Echstruth Marian Echstruth
Raymond Echstruth Josephine England James Foster
Aletha Frederick Mr. F. M. Fritz Dorothy Fulton
Kenneth Geisenhaver Eva Gubbins, 6th grade teacher Leona Gutekunst, teacher
Elva Hart Perry Hart Helen Hobert
Ralph Hobert Carlton Hollister Donald Huffman
June Rose Huffman Florence Edith Hunter Lester King
Florence Komm Helen Komm Lee Henty Mast
Nina Matson, English teacher Pauline McCoy Willis McCoy
Harold McKenzie Thelma Metcoff Ottelia Nickols
Ruth Nickols Mrs. J. Perrone Earl Proctor
Ralph Proctor Lee Reasoner Lillian Reed
Martha Richardson Virginia Richardson Oral Riker
Jack Rounds Norman Sage Ivan Seeley
Lester Stolls Gail Stebleton Steve Stivaviske
Ava Sweet Ardis Wilson Kenneth Witchell
Cecelia Zavistoski

Our Lady of the Angels (Elementary) Catholic School, Chicago, Illinois

Monday, December 1, 1958

This fire killed almost 100 teachers and students but it "May" or "May not" have been started with the goal of killing people.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Just boosting this for the "Edification" of the hive.

Feel free to let it plunge (Again!) into oblivion but keep it in mind the next few days/weeks (You're gonna hear and see alot of ugliness Directed at gun-owners)).

Nobody can control "asshole-ism" (Which, by-the-way includes people who bump their own threads).

Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
This story is important.......the anti-gun media wants to always demonize the gun.  Evil is evil and seems to find a way.  "The only way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  Seems like the cops at Columbine and VA Tech were hiding behind trees instead of clearing rooms. Sort of "doing nothing".
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up 5 miles from Bath, this was still being talked about when I was in school in the early 60's.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Soooooo, the suicide car bomb was invented in Michigan?
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  I am sure that I will unfortunately have a reason to know this in the upcoming days.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The worst school massacre ever...  

Beslan Massacre

Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  I am sure that I will unfortunately have a reason to know this in the upcoming days.

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
ABC Radio News this evening actually called the shootings today the "biggest case of mass murder in American history."
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ABC Radio News this evening actually called the shootings today the "biggest case of mass murder in American history."

Gee, they're wrong.....Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote:
"Just something to keep in mind when you hear people saying that GUNS are the reason shit like what happened today happens. They AREN'T, ASSHOLES are what causes this sort of shit"

So true.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The worst school massacre ever...  

Beslan Massacre

You're right.  I SHOULD'VE said worst US School Massacre ever.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Soooooo, the suicide car bomb was invented in Michigan?

Didnt Capone invent the drive by?
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
interesting
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I have never heard of this.  I guess Bath, MI would qualify as the worst.  Do not let facts get in the way of a sensational headline.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Learned something today.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#17]
The media usualy does not care about "history" or events that happened outside of 10-15 years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad I ran a search, I was just about to post this same bit of history which was completely unknown to me until today.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#19]
ost
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Another (very detailed) account of the Bath Massacre -
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:17:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This story is important.......the anti-gun media wants to always demonize the gun.  Evil is evil and seems to find a way.  "The only way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  Seems like the cops at Columbine and VA Tech were hiding behind trees instead of clearing rooms. Sort of "doing nothing".

I FULLY AGREE!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#22]
This kid needs anger management but he is right:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUZlH2MevL8
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This kid needs anger management but he is right:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUZlH2MevL8

Don't you get that the antis see ALL gun owners like that?

IMHO, responsible gun owners who look normal need to go on record as being normal because they ARE normal.
That kid in the video scares me WITHOUT a gun.
And that's what the antis feed on.

ETA: I'd never heard of the Bath massacre either. Thanks for the thread.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#24]
interesting
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee, they're wrong.....Go figure.

All the media is quoting that... What about the OK city bombing, or the world trade center? Are those not mass murders? The school bombing to the bath school house in bath, MI killed more then the gunman at VT. Yet you hear nothing about it , because it was the evil gun that did this...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top