Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/13/2007 2:58:01 AM EDT
"Please take your hands out of your pockets"

I noticed this with casual encounters with the police a few times.  I also noticed this when I went to traffic court for a speeding ticket recently,  I was told by the court deputy that I was not allowed to put my hands in my pockets.

What right does law enforcement have,  or what right does a court deputy have to tell you that you are not allowed to put your hands in your pockets while in their presence?

Anyone ever heard of this behavior from law enforcement?  And anyone ever hear of anyone non complying with these orders?

And at what point do you think it justifies a citizens arrest against law enforcement for using color of law to infringe against rights?
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What right does law enforcement have,  or what right does a court deputy have to tell you that you are not allowed to put your hands in your pockets while in their presence?

He has the tazer, you don't.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Wonderful first post.  

I think I'll just stand over here, out of the line of fire.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#3]
        Out on the street it is simply an issue of the LE officer thinking that the person might have a weapon in the pocket.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
h.gif

Wonderful first post.  hink

Not my first post here,  just a new account.  Lost my old one,  dont have access to the email anymore.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:08:57 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
        Out on the street it is simply an issue of the LE officer thinking that the person might have a weapon in the pocket.

Potentially yes there could be a sniper in every bush,  but does that give law enforcement the power to force the citizenry to walk around with their hands out of their pockets?

There is no Federal or State Law that allows them to do this.

There is however a Federal Law giving me the power of citizens arrest against people that infringe on civil rights.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe they just want to make sure you're not diddling yourself.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Pockets can be a pretty handy place for a weapon dont you think?  If it wasn't for that, noone would care.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a weapon for you right here!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:18:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]
 Were you in the courtroom? If so, he was most likely he was complying with the judge's standard orders.  The judge can pretty much tell you to do anything in his court room.  If you fail to comply, its contempt of court.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:23:32 AM EDT
[#11]
If you feel that they're violating your rights next time by telling you not to place you hands in your pockets, feel free to tell the nice officer to "fuck off" and tell him you'll put your hands anywhere you want. report back and let us know how it goes.

Try it like this!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:23:41 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
 Were you in the courtroom? If so, he was most likely he was complying with the judge's standard orders.  The judge can pretty much tell you to do anything in his court room.  If you fail to comply, its contempt of court.

Ive noticed it in and OUT of a courtroom.  Everyone seems to get the same treatment.  I even noticed it on the TV show COPS.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:24:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Potentially yes there could be a sniper in every bush,  but does that give law enforcement the power to force the citizenry to walk around with their hands out of their pockets?

There is however a Federal Law giving me the power of citizens arrest against people that infringe on civil rights.

Let me know next time you go to court. I want to see the face on the Deputy when you let him know you're not going to comply with his order for you to remove your hands from your pockets when in front of the judge, and you let him know he's under citizens arrest for violating your civil rights.

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't think you are allowed to wear a hat in a courtrom, either.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Try it like this!

There should be more of that these days.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:34:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Anyone ever heard of this behavior from law enforcement?  And anyone ever hear of anyone non complying with these orders?

See the above post.

What right are they violating?   Let me answer that...  

None.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Or chew gum or wear wife beater t-shirts or mini skirts or flip flops..Judges have the ultimate say.. They could make you jump up and down when you talk to them and there isn't anything you can do about it..

They rule  
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:37:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Everytime I encounter an authority figure (with a weapon at least) I make it a habit to show my hands... unless I went to make them uncomfortable
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:44:36 AM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
See the above post.

What right are they violating?   Let me answer that...  

None.

Right to peacefully assemble.

the right  where it says "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;"

From my State Constitution:

"Presumption of innocence -- Securing accused persons. -- Every person being presumed innocent, until pronounced guilty by the law, "

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:46:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

"Presumption of innocence -- Securing accused persons. -- Every person being presumed innocent, until pronounced guilty by the law, "

At what point are they adjudicating you guilty of anything?
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:48:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#22]
this post is a 'fart in church'..
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:50:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Pockets can be a pretty handy place for a weapon dont you think? If it wasn't for that, noone would care.

We should ban pockets.  

Worry more about the hand under my shirt.

Eddie
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:54:28 AM EDT
[#24]
There is a gun store in Austin, Texas that has a large sign posted as you enter that says "keep your hands out of your pockets". I understand the reason, but I really have to wonder (based on the odds of being robbed/shot &), how much would this really help to give the gun store employees an advantage. What are they gonna do? Draw down and search everyone that puts their hands in their pockets? Unless they are prepared to do that, having a no hands in pockets rule really doesn't help.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:01:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Weak.  Even for a troll account.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me know next time you go to court. I want to see the face on the Deputy when you let him know you're not going to comply with his order for you to remove your hands from your pockets when in front of the judge, and you let him know he's under citizens arrest for violating your civil rights.

www.thesmilies.com/smilies/fighting0058.gif</a>

With enough advance notice, I'm sure I can get there in time with a video camera
for the ensuing takedown.

Youtube lives for that shit.

Just joking around ........ to the OP, it really must be as simple as LE and the courts have probably seen too many people with their hands in their pockets pull out a weapon of some sort. Don't you think?

What do you say when they ask you to walk through a metal detector before
you enter the court?

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I am sure Johnny Cochran knows the answer to your question....oh, wait....he's dead.

Well, in that case, noone knows.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Right to peacefully assemble.
the right  where it says "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;"

Weak stretch....
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Well, in that case, noone knows.....

That guy's a smart fucker, too. He knows everything!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:

you enter the court?

Actually I didnt have to walk through the metal detector.  It was there but not being used.

Last time I went to the State House,  again no metal detectors.  They were there but not being used.

Maybe they were down for maintenance.  Maybe they only use them at certain times.

But to me,  a metal detector is a "search" and unconstitutional,  in my opinion.

Also in the YouTube video,  it appeared the guy was under arrest for something else enitrely.  If not then that behavior is disturbing coming from a police officer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you enter the court?

Actually I didnt have to walk through the metal detector.  It was there but not being used.

Last time I went to the State House,  again no metal detectors.  They were there but not being used.

Maybe they were down for maintenance.  Maybe they only use them at certain times.

But to me,  a metal detector is a "search" and unconstitutional,  in my opinion.

Also in the YouTube video,  it appeared the guy was under arrest for something else enitrely.  If not then that behavior is disturbing coming from a police officer.

You are the Poster Boy for the Book titled"The Death of Common Sense"

Please,if you plan on living a full life,Use Common Sense,it will make you a better person.I'm assuming you are in the 18-34 demographic

ETA:I'm not even a LEO,just a person that uses good judgement.

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Simple: Officer saefty is more important to them than your rights to put your hands in your pockets.

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:50:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:52:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

This is correct.  I saw it on the 3 stooges.

Take off you hat.

Raise your right hand.

Take off your hat.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:02:49 AM EDT
[#36]
So because officers care more for their safety then common decency to liberties,  they have granted themself the privelage of deciding wether or not I am allowed to use my pockets?  

Where in the law does it give police officers this privelage?

And for the person who questioned my common sense.  I know the police officers rationale in asking citizens to keep their hands out of their pockets.  I was asking what gives them the right to think they have the privelage of disallowing citizens from exercising their liberty.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So because officers care more for their safety then common decency to liberties,  they have granted themself the privelage of deciding wether or not I am allowed to use my pockets?  

And for the person who questioned my common sense.  I know the police officers rationale in asking citizens to keep their hands out of their pockets.  I was asking what gives them the right to think they have the privelage of disallowing citizens from exercising their liberty.

YEAH! Today its keeping my hands out of my pockets and tomorrow its shooting your dog!

... oh... wait.... nevermind
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#38]
this thread is a waste of bandwidth.

you are sounding too trollish for me or anyone else to waste time with.  I'd love for you to be in LE shoes for a day.  I'd also love to see how you act when you call 911 for assistance from those bad JBT boys.  Oops, started to fall in the trap of responding to your silly ass questions.  
How about your common decency to the officers.  Treatthem with some respect.  YOU seem to already know that we are a bit nervous about seeing your hands.  HOw about spreading the sunshine and doing us a decent favor and show us your hands - make us feelk a bitmore comfortable about engaging the public.  LEO engage potential threats with every interaction with a human when they wear the badge.  How many interactions do you have with LE?  How about you not worrying about the 4 occassions in your LIFETIME that an officer interacts with you andYOU show some decency.

Now go start another troll acct and stir up more silliness.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#39]
FWIW, I'd tell you one time.  If you did it again, you'd be wearing handcuffs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
FWIW, I'd tell you one time.  If you did it again, you'd be wearing handcuffs.

+1
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You just don't get it,do you?

If you are in a situation with a LEO,and he tells you to take your hands out of your pocket,do so,if not suffer the consequences.

If you are in a courtroom,and the Judge or LEO tells you to take your hand out of your pockets,do it.

If you are walking down the street,with no engagement with a LEO,then do whatever you want with your hands.

Time to get off the fucking soapbox and grow up.

Don't do stupid shit,and you won't be involved with Judges or LEO's.

Then you can do whatever the fuck you want to with your hans.

Enjoy your Life,it is too short to worry about stupid shit like this
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#42]
What is so dangerous about being a police officer?

Around 150 officers are killed every year in the line of duty.

There are around 700,000 detectives and police officers employed in the United States last year according to the Department of Labor.

The murder rate in the United States per 700,000 people is nearly 300.

YOU ARE TWICE AS LIKELY TO FACE MURDER BEING A NORMAL CITIZEN.

And this statistic doesnt count victims of crimes other then murder such as rape or assault.

As a citizen I deal with the same scum of the Earth as Law Enforcement does.  I dont go around telling people they cant use their pockets because I feel threatened.  It would be pure paranoia.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

There are around 700,000 detectives and police officers employed in the United States last year according to the Department of Labor.

The murder rate in the United States for a random segment of 700,000 people is nearly 300.

IT IS TWICE AS DANGEROUS BEING A NORMAL CITIZEN.

And this statistic doesnt count victims of crimes other then murder such as rape or assault.

As a citizen I deal with the same scum of the Earth as Law Enforcement does.

I give up.

MODS Please Help
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

The murder rate in the United States for a random segment of 700,000 people is nearly 300.

IT IS TWICE AS DANGEROUS BEING A NORMAL CITIZEN.

This response truly shows youre a moron.

It is a dangerous job and they have to confront dangerous situations everyday, which you most likely dont.

As a librarian I was forced to "deal with the same scum of the Earth as Law Enforcement", but I wasnt putting them into a fight or flight situation.

So, if the officers are less likely to die, dont you think thats because they are doing somethings RIGHT in their jobs? There is no winning with you.

You being allowed to have your hands in your pockets is some what less consequential then the safety of someone else's life.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Disobey the direct order of an officer and report back to us.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Hey, themilitia-org, can I be a captain in your militia?

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#49]
How many times a year does an officer get into a deadly situation and lives?  How many times a year does an officer have to fight because someone doesn't want to keep his hands out of his pockets and decides to resist?  People do not like to go to jail, therefore some will fight.  You have no Idea what you are talking about.  I would suggest that you join a reserve program at a local department.  It will be an eye opener for ya.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

YOU ARE TWICE AS LIKELY TO FACE MURDER BEING A NORMAL CITIZEN.

Are you fucking kidding me?  It's called officer safety.  Those same scum of the earth that you and I deal with are not out to harm you because of the uniform you wear, the gun you carry, and the authority you excercise.

If I dont feel comfortable with something you are doing (like putting your hands in your pockets) I'm going to tell you to stop.  If you don't comply, you are gonna end up in some shiny bracelets. (disclaimer: some people do this out of habit especially when nervous.  If I get the "right vibe" from you, I'll give you another warning, with a consequence. If you can't do something as simple as keeping your hands out of your pockets, tough luck.  If you give the the "wrong vibe", good luck.)

Simple as that.  I want to go home each night.  Hands kill.  Keep 'em where I can see 'em.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top