Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2007 9:44:52 PM EDT

I've started an online petition.  I don't care how slim the chances are of this bill getting anywhere. Please pass it on, I set the signature goal for a million - lol

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348

"We the undersigned wish to express in no uncertain terms our outrage and disgust with the introduction of HR 1022: To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes. Let it be known, that we the undersigned swear an undying devotion to end the political careers of any public servant holding office who should dare to offer any support to this offense to our birthright to take up arms to defend our lives, our families, our property, our community and our country against enemies both foreign and domestic. We see it as absolutely essential that we retain our right, which is not granted to us by man nor able to be repealed, to maintain, keep, bear and train with firearms and ammunitions that are state of the art. HR 1022, or any bill resembling, is an affront to this right and our dignity as citizens of this fair nation and will not be tolerated. We are watching."
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Online petions mean dick.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
you're the dick

and it doesnt matter if it directly influences the politicians.  the more people who become aware of it the better.  this is one means to spreading the word, go suck yourself.

and to the original poster, good job.  its people like you who actually make the difference in the end
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Vagabond, I'm not trying to be smart, and I think your idea is a good one-->however try making the above sound a little less emotional and a little more factual and you will have a very nice statement (IMHO/ YMMV).  I like the motion, and it definately can't hurt.

--VT
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Vagabond, I'm not trying to be smart, and I think your idea is a good one-->however try making the above sound a little less emotional and a little more factual and you will have a very nice statement (IMHO/ YMMV).  I like the motion, and it definately can't hurt.

--VT

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually wrote it in such a fashion as to avoid factual or legal debate because the debate over what the second ammendment actually says, what the statistics show, what bans have or have not proven, will go on FOREVER.  Meanwhile, the lib-dicks will win a battle of attrition because we wear ourselves out spewing facts while they ignore them.  Look at the emotional response gun owners have had to Jim Zumbo's statement, it will probably have more of an impact than anything because they know that pissed off people will make it to the polls.  

Even without the polls emotion trumps reason all the time.  We just lost our university symbol of 80 years, Chief Illiniwek, here at the U of I because a very small minority has been whining and crying for twenty years and though the Chief is probably the most dignified representation of native Americans in the Mainstream culture they brought him down via the NCAA, despite facts, despite polls that show an overwhelming support for the Chief, despite polls that show most native Americans aren't offended by mascots depicting them.  But so long as somebody's feelings are hurt LOOKout! lol  So be it, I'll play their game.

I'm probably going to pull the petition anyway, I've posted here and one other board and I have 10 signatures while this thread has 126 views...  So go ahead and write one that you believe articulates the argument more rationally; I'll sign it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
btw, if you've actually followed the link, you'll see that everyone who signs has a nice little slot to add their voice at length...
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#7]
i think this is a great idea with this petition. i signed it myself.

Mods., could we please make this a sticky?

please everyone here sign it and email this petition to any and every gun owner you know and get them to sign it. it is easy and only takes a few seconds.

it could do some good with enough signatures in my opinion, but you have to have ENOUGH of them on ANY petition.

please people, PLEASE!!!!

camaro
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
Online petions mean precisely dick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I signed it just because, but for some fucking reason, I put female in, instead of male and cannot edit it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
i added

" Since even the FBI aknowledges that the 1994 AWB did NOT lead to a decrease in crime, I feel that congress does NOT need to waste any more time to pass this infringement on the 2nd amendment"

how did i do ?

OP- thanks for your efforts and for posting this
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Signed it and emailed the link to a friend.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I signed. It's better than nothing.

Arfcom points to vagabond for the effort.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#13]
so yeah, can we get this as a sticky thread for a while?

im also glad to see all the added notes are mature and reasonable... if everyone replied with "from my cold dead hands / molon labe" that just make the antis feel they are on the right agenda....
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Vagabond!

Every gun owner needs to sigh this!

If they wouldhave lost the war, every man that signed the Declaration of Independence would have been hanged.  The least we can do is put our John Hancock on this.

If you don't feel like writing a long comment, a simple "Molon labe" is sure to raise some eyebrows!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
so yeah, can we get this as a sticky thread for a while?

im also glad to see all the added notes are mature and reasonable... if everyone replied with "from my cold dead hands / molon labe" that just make the antis feel they are on the right agenda....

Yea, bump for a sticky.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Online petitions mean nothing, it will probably not be stickied. Write your congresscritter ON PAPER WITH A PEN AND SEND IT WITH AN ENVELOPE or do something else that is both visible and meaningfull.

E-petitions are mildly visible and totally meaningless. Unfortunately, people can't show off about writing their congresscritter in the same fashion, so we'll continue to see people trying to push off e-petitions on us.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Online petitions mean nothing, it will probably not be stickied. Write your congresscritter ON PAPER WITH A PEN AND SEND IT WITH AN ENVELOPE or do something else that is both visible and meaningfull.

Already done!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't see how they hurt any.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Holy cow, it's shot up to 616!  Maybe there was some delay in the postings...?  Yeah, we should all write letters, but have you?  I'm glad that there are a lot of mature eloquent notes added as well, it's really encouraging.  It would be nice if people really networked on this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They hurt matters because they make you feel as if you've accomplished something when you actually haven't. Many well meaning gun owners sign an on-line petition & think "hey, I've done my duty... now I can forget about the subject."  

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY pays attention to on-line petitions.

Trust me on this... I've been fighting the good fight for the past 13 years, so I have a bit of a handle on how to get things done.

Snail mail, phone calls, & in office visits are the only effective ways to get your Reps. attention! Follow these methods up with E-mails, wait a little while, then repeat the whole process ad infinitum. If your Rep. is one of the good guys or is on the fence, a token (or not so token) campaign contribution can also help them take you seriously.

Folks... If you are serious about defeating the new AW ban spend the time & effort to do it right!  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They hurt matters because they make you feel as if you've accomplished something when you actually haven't. Many well meaning gun owners sign an on-line petition & think "hey, I've done my duty... now I can forget about the subject."  

Trust me on this... I've been fighting the good fight for the past 13 years, so I have a bit of a handle on how to get things done.

Snail mail, phone calls, & in office visits are the only effective ways to get your Reps. attention! Follow these methods up with E-mails, wait a little while, then repeat the whole process ad infinitum. If your Rep. is one of the good guys or is on the fence, a token (or not so token) campaign contribution can also help them take you seriously.

Folks... If you are serious about defeating the new AW ban spend the time & effort to do it right!  

I have interned in a US  Senator's office and I know that handwritten letters are about all that have any kind of impact.

But seeing thousands of other names on the same page as mine goes a LONG WAY to inspiring me.  If nothing else we should be signing this for each other -- sort of a vow to one another to stick together and fight as one.  This lets each of know we are not alone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand your point, but I think there are many "well meaning gun owners" here that will sign this in addition to other efforts they make.

I would guess that the 30 seconds it took me to sign this was time well spent.

Now, since I have received no response from my letter to Roskam, I will follow
up to make sure he knows my views. Your suggestion of a campaign contribution
is a good one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Done.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Added my name to the list.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Signed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Done!

I am #4026 - looks like it is moving pretty fast at 1000+ signers per day if you posted this thread after you created the poll.

Here is a direct link since it is a form and email required poll:

www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348

p.s. your email doesn't show and I used my junk mail yahoo email as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#27]
wife, dad and stepmom just signed it too.  BTT because this should have a tack for a few days at the least

--VT
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#28]
btt
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#29]
actually it sat at 10 signatures all weekend until I posted to www.keepandbeararms.com last night, now it's up to 4700!  Good stuff :o)  Good to see some more from this site coming on board.  

height=8
Quoted:
Done!

I am #4026 - looks like it is moving pretty fast at 1000+ signers per day if you posted this thread after you created the poll.

Here is a direct link since it is a form and email required poll:

www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348

p.s. your email doesn't show and I used my junk mail yahoo email as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#30]
when is 1022 being considered?  is it on the schedule?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top