Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2001 12:41:41 PM EDT
Anyone know what guns are issued (or approved) for the FBI and DEA?  What is the issued ammo?

What kind of longarms are they currently using?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
By far Sigs are the most popular.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Are the P229's the issued handgun, or have they gone the way of the Glock yet?  I thought that the issued pistol was a .40S&W of some sort.

SteyrAUG:

As someone who has been around more than a few firearms in your life, what do you think about the P229 versus the midsized Glock .40 (the G23 IIRC)?

A friend is debating a SIG P228 versus the Glock 19 (he's decided on 9mm over .40).

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Usually the 229, DTs use the compact models. I personally don't care for Glocks at all. Good combat firearm but a unwise choice for law enforcement. In addition I don't like the angle or feel of the Glock but that is a personal issue.

Glocks however DO perform. But not nearly as well as a SIG. I'd pick SIG everytime. In addition I'm not sold on .40 either.

First the idea that 9mm will not put your man down is a not true. Lotta guys die every year from 9mm and lesser rounds. This is especially true with spec. purpose ammo like Hydra Shoks or Golden Sabers.

Second 9mm being a NATO round is everywhere in the world and available as surplus.

.40 is not a BAD round it just isn't the miracle bullet that it is touted as sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
On the caliber issue, to quote a Navy SEAL.

"If i put two to your chest and one to your head, you won´t know the difference"
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The FBI people I've been around have and are using Sig 228's but are now issueing Glocks, I believe in a 40.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Mostly SIG Sauer pistols, although I know a few years back the FBI was issuing the Glock 23 to it's new graduates. However, the standard duty load chosen was the wimped-out Federal 165gr Hydra Shok... a very poor choice in .40 S&W.

I own both the Glock 23 and SIG P229, and IMO the SIG P229 is a much better handgun.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen a few uniformed US Marshalls around here carrying midsize glocks but they have some kind of matte silver (aftermarket?) slide on them, been afraid to ask them, what is this?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
As of about 45 days ago, a friend in the FBI out of DCFO was still carrying the Sig 229 he was issued at graduation(if that is the designation of the 9mm that is one size down from the 226).

He was also an academy instructor, they were then issuing Glock midsized .40s, but he was permitted to carrythe Sig.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I was at FBI HQ in Wash. DC last year, and the agent demoing the HK MP5/10 machine gun during the building tour, said that the Bureau is switching sidearms to Glock 40s because of cost during a Q&A session.  However they will keep the MP5/10.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Tuuka, someone should e-mail that saying to Jeff Cooper and Clint Smith.  No disrespect to either of them, just think the 9mm bashing all the time is uncalled for.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't the FBI give a contract to Springfield to provide the 1911's to a certain group. I know quite a few companies tried to get the contract. There was a pretty long list of what the pistol had to do in the accuracy, safety and reliability department.????
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The FBI is currently issuing the [b]GLOCK[/b] 22 and 23 in .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tuuka, someone should e-mail that saying to Jeff Cooper and Clint Smith.  No disrespect to either of them, just think the 9mm bashing all the time is uncalled for.
View Quote

No Sh*t The .45 is a real blaster, but I wouldnt want to be on the wrong end of my poodle shooter!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The HRT is using the Springfield Custom TRP Professional (Retail $2400 and it is the same specs) as for rank and file I don't know. As for ammo it is Golden Saber (45's ar 230gr as for 9mm and 40 Don't know. Thet used to use Hydra-Shoks but switch to Golden Saber as to when or why I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#17]
My understanding is that the FBI issues the Glock in .40, but agents can select from a fairly decent range of weapons if they want to buy their own after graduation and assignment.

My understanding is that the DEA has a similar policy about buying your own weapon. The DEA does issue weapons but does not have a "standard issue" sidearm for security reasons. Many of their agents work undercover, and if all DEA agents were issued a certain weapon, than anyone carrying that weapon would be automatically suspected of being DEA. For that reason, each individual class of agents supposedly gets trained on and issued a different sidearm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone with a large capacity magazine can now be suspect of being an agent since us regulars gal's/guy's (criminals) can longer purchase them. Same thing with "SCAW" (So Called Assault Weapon), shoot an MP5 at the range, we know who you are. Profiling in reverse?

All the more reason to lift the "Ban" so they can blend in with us "Common Trash"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top