Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/27/2006 4:15:09 AM EDT
Seeing this on NBC tv, flight was from Lexington to Atlanta.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 4:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The crash was at Blue Grass Airport in KY.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 4:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
i saw that are they sure they are all dead?
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Flight 5191, everyone was lost.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 4:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Was the weather bad?  Details?

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 4:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Crap...
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Looking at the Weather Underground radar, it looks like they did have a small line of showers move through. Don't know if this had anything to do with it, the showers didn't look severe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn,just damn! I worked for them for 6 years...............
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Now local station is saying that the RJ took off from the smaller runway(3600ft?????) way,way,way,too short for a fully loaded RJ.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn,  seems like I was just on that flight or similar one.  That seems like a good aircraft to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#11]
CNN local affiliate says 1 survivor in critical condition.

ETA:  AP reports same.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:26:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn..
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:27:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
CNN local affiliate says 1 survivor in critical condition.

ETA:  AP reports same.
Yep,pilot or copilot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I am watching this on fox right now.  Very sad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:47:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Can't figure this out,as to why they would have taken off from this runway(26),as this is one of Comair's biggest market,pilot's would have been very familiar with this airport.
Only seen one jet take off from 26,a Cessna Citation 1,runway is used mostly by single engined a/c.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Plane went down a mile from the airport in KY.

ETA:  Lexington, KY airport
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#17]
crap, I'm flying on an RJ tomorrow!

Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Plane went down a mile from the airport in KY.

ETA:  Lexington, KY airport
Yeah,right next to the airport fire training center,which would be near the end of rwy 26...

CRJ-100 is a very safe,strong airliner,only crashes(2 that I know of) were caused by the pilot's.One was in MO,pilot's(on a reposition flt,no pax)took an RJ to 41k,engines stalled,pilots pretty much lost it(many airports to make emergency landing),also the engines appeared to be in lockup,no restart possible.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Faa says no survivors even though there was report of one.  rescue personnel are not happy about the job in front of them as apparently the plane was intact and the deaths were caused by what they say was a 'hot fire'.  prayers out for those folks.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I heard on the TV that witnesses say no fire before it crashed, but a fire afterwards.

Death by fire would be a horrible death.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I just flew one of those Comair puddle jumpers on the way to Alaska---connecting flight from Cincinnati to Minneapolis.  Hated that little thing...I've been on helicopters bigger than that plane.
Weird.  You'd think it'd be harder to keep a big jumbo jet in the air, but it always seems it's the small airplanes that crash.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#23]
one survivor confirmed.  wow.  if that person did not find G-d yet, he/she just did.

rep also says wrong runway is probably jsut a rumor.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#24]
So, is this a short-runway situation (pull up to avoid running out of runway, and stall), or did they go down on climbout?

#1 would be pilot error, #2 could be anything...

Of course, all 30 of my hours are flying Cessnas off a 100x9000ft runway (Thank you USAF... Learning to fly is so much easier without traffic congestion & when the runway is almost 2MI long!)...
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So, is this a short-runway situation (pull up to avoid running out of runway, and stall), or did they go down on climbout?

The plane crashed in a direct line with the short run way.  No one will confirm the the short run way story though.

Helicpoter flyovers show the runway ending on top of a hill, a small dip that leads to trees.  Some of those trees had the tops cut off and further in the rest were turned brown.  So from what I could see they ran out of runway, still couldn't get air, went straight into the trees, which caused the crash and started the fire.

News just in the that the co-pilot is the survivor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I just flew one of those Comair puddle jumpers on the way to Alaska---connecting flight from Cincinnati to Minneapolis.  Hated that little thing...I've been on helicopters bigger than that plane.
Weird.  You'd think it'd be harder to keep a big jumbo jet in the air, but it always seems it's the small airplanes that crash.

Personally, I don't consider a $20 million Jet a puddle jumper.  Yes, they only seat 50 (70, 90) passengers, but it isn't like flying in a Piper Cub.

As to your second comment,  most accidents in aviation occur during the takeoff/landing phase of flight.  There are several reasons for this, but probably the most notable is the fact that take-off and landing is where you are closest to the ground.  Since these "puddle jumpers" average 8 takeoffs and landings a day, compared to 3-4 for most major airlines, it is fairly easy to see that the accident occurences would be higher for a Regional Carrier.  As I recall, the actual accident rates per TO/Landing cycles are very comparable between all the carriers (Major or Regional).

My prayers to those that are grieving.

Link Posted: 8/27/2006 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Two of the people on board were a young local couple from London KY that got married in Lexington last night.    I know someone from work that got married last night and was going to Aruba for her honeymoon.  I've been able to confirm it wasn't her thankfully.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Now local station is saying that the RJ took off from the smaller runway(3600ft?????) way,way,way,too short for a fully loaded RJ.

Yep

Control Tower is in deep shit for this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#30]
115 people die every day from auto accidents, over 40,000 a year on average....

When 50 people die in a place crash OMFG!!!!  The worlds gonna end!!!!!!    
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Take your observations somewhere else.  

Hope nothing bad ever happens to you or a loved one.  

I promise not to laugh if it does....
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An observation ???  

CoC #6.  -Gloftoe
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#33]
News conference now ongoing,

Local coroner is stating they are asking for dental records to help in identification of the bodies.  Sounds as if many survived the initial impact but then were killed by a post-crash fire....very sad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

An observation ???  

I'm observing you being a fucking tool...

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep

The Pilot-in-Command has final authority over the safe operation of his craft.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep

The Pilot-in-Command has final authority over the safe operation of his craft.

Yes, You are correct, Thank you. However, I do believe the Tower should have put them on the LONGER Runway.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Yes, You are correct, Thank you. However, I do believe the Tower should have put them on the LONGER Runway.
The pilot should have asked to be reassigned to a different runway. 3600 feet isn't enough for almost any passenger jet, and the pilot should have known that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#38]
That is the flight I use to take when I was leaving college Lexington to Alanta  to Philly.

Post crash fire is one of the draw backs of flying out of a smaller airport.   Faa Regs only require firefighter staffing to ASSIST with self rescue.  The one local airport simmilar in size to Blue Grass  the ONE crash truck is staffed by the airport custiodian on a as needed basis... no lie  

http://www.wkyt.com/
LIve feed right now
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The world ended for those on board and for those loved ones left behind. Don't be an insensative JACKASS
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#40]
GOV Fletcher who is in Germany is giving a press conference via cell phone speaker phone right now on the local news. Chief Beatty just stated that there is no evidence of terrorism and congratulated the LEO's and emergency personell. One Police officer was injured rescuing the first officer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The pilot should have asked to be reassigned to a different runway. 3600 feet isn't enough for almost any passenger jet, and the pilot should have known that.

That will be a BIG in this investigation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would doubt very seriously that the crew would have INTENTIONALLY tried to depart a 3600' runway.  Bluegrass airport just completed some resurfacing so there is also a question as to the status of the runway markings.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Here is the approach plate the crew should have had on board:
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#45]
As usual, the news media gives you everything you don't need to know...
I watched CNN and it was almost 30 minutes of yapping before I learned that the crash was about a mile after take off.

They wanted it to be a terrorist act so bad, they could taste it.

A local fire official was telling us he was at the scene literally seconds after the crash.
He said it was described as a fireball, flames, explosion, intense heat, bla bla bla
Then, the next sentence or so he stated "The aircraft is in-tact"

I ask you, how in the hell can the plane crash, fireball, explosion, burning, only one survivor and still be "in-tact".
That one took the cake
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#46]
According to a friend in London the couple were prominent business people in the area.  She also said that the survivor was another pilot flying in the jump seat to get back to ATL.  I don't know the accuracy of this, only reporting what I was told.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

A LOT more people drive than fly though.  I think that sort of evens things out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#48]
What comes to my mind is the Pilot knows his Aircraft and its capabilities, if for some reason he does not know he's on the wrong runway, does the Tower have them in sight from their vantage point at this particular airport
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The world ended for those on board and for those loved ones left behind. Don't be an insensative JACKASS

Not trying to be a JACKASS, just trying to point out the fact that shit happens every day that we pay no attention to..
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Probably an overloaded aircraft.
Those things are always overweight.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top