Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2001 8:10:24 AM EDT
This was brought up in another thread, and I thought it would be a good topic on its own.

Guys, the English language is being slaughtered, not just in here but pretty much everwhere online.  Do you ever read the newsgroups?

I can forgive the non-native speakers, but some of us write as if we've never been to school.  This is a medium of the written word - it really helps if you can write intelligibly.  People form their opinions of you based on what they see and hear.  They cannot see you and they cannot hear you on a bulletin board.  All they have to base an opinion on is what you write and how you write it.  If you're trying to make a philosophical point but write like a sixth grader, how well do you think your point gets across?  At LEAST use the spell check function if you're a bad speller.

I know some people take offense when their errors are pointed out, but take it as "positive feedback" - [b]learn[/b] from your mistakes.  If you want to go through life being considered a borderline illiterate, that's your choice.  Having a good command of the language has benefits beyond what others think of you, though.

I'm not saying that the occasional typo isn't to be expected, but as someone pointed out the use of [i]their[/i], [i]they're[/i], and [i]there[/i] is badly mangled.  That's just [b]one[/b] example.  That's not a typo, and no spell check will catch it.

Ok, my flameproof suit is on.  Fire up!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I see "loose" used in place of "lose" quite often.
The abbreviation for etcetera is "etc." not "ect."
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I know I take a poster more seriously if they articulate their thoughts well and spell real good. [BD]

I'm bad for reversing my letters when typing fast - maybe slight dyslexia. I don't know.

But I agree with the main thought of your post. On a national scale, we are quickly losing the ability to communicate effectively.

And I DO believe it s a Leftist gov't plot, effected thru the Marxist gov't schools. That way, they never have to repeal the First Amendment, and freedom of speech. Poeple won't have the skills TO "speak," and thereby the right to free speech is lost in a bloodless coup.

My $0.02

No flames from me.

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#3]
wurd-up, kbakur, brah! i be edjumicated, and allz i reed are dupeys by boneheads hoo trash our langige! makes me haf sik!

seriously,
they're = they are
their = possessive, they
there = a place

this has been a public service announcement by those who care.

BTW, spell check did not pick up the word "hoo" from above, can someone tell me what that word means?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not saying that the occasional typo isn't to be expected, but as someone pointed out the use of [i]their[/i], [i]they're[/i], and [i]there[/i] is badly mangled.  That's just [b]one[/b] example.  That's not a typo, and no spell check will catch it.
View Quote

LOL! I agree with you 100%! Guess how I feel when people use the word "break" instead of "brake"? It's not a simple typo, the person just doesn't know how to spell.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

BTW, spell check did not pick up the word "hoo" from above, can someone tell me what that word means?
View Quote

[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/owl.gif[/img]  hoo-hoo......hoo-hoo
silly[BD]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#6]
are you serious? the sound an owl makes is actually in the dictionary? well, i guess if D'OH made it in, anything is possible! (i always thought an owl said: "who, who")
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LOL! I agree with you 100%! Guess how I feel when people use the word "break" instead of "brake"? It's not a simple typo, the person just doesn't know how to spell.
View Quote
That one really drives me crazy.  It isn't that they don't know how to spell, they don't know the right meaning of the word.  Even the manufacturers do it!  A "muzzle break" means (to me) that you broke it, but you see it in the literature!  How can you blame people for getting it wrong when they see it in the ads?

And bunghole, I wish to loose my dogs on those who wish me to lose my rights.

We ought (not "[i]aught[/i]") to make a collection of all the improperly used words as a reference.  We can be the most "edjumicated" group on the web.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]
KBaker, Why don't you take some of your own advice,and use Spell Check!.."Guys, the Engish language is being slaughtered, not just here but pretty much "EVERWHERE" online. Do you ever read the newsgroups?"...Is everwhere anything like tupperware???
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Day after day I'm more confused
So I look for the light in the pouring rain
You know that's a game that I hate to lose
I'm feelin' the strain, ain't it a shame

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Beginning to think that I'm wastin' time
I don't understand the things I do
The world outside looks so unkind
I'm countin' on you to carry me through

And when my mind is free
You know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue
The guitar's comin' through to soothe me

Thanks for the joy that you've given me
I want you to know I believe in your song
Rhythm and rhyme and harmony
You help me along makin' me strong

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
KBaker, Why don't you take some of your own advice,and use Spell Check!.."Guys, the Engish language is being slaughtered, not just here but pretty much "EVERWHERE" online. Do you ever read the newsgroups?"...Is everwhere anything like tupperware???
View Quote
D'OH!  OK, you got me.[:I]  I won't even go back and edit the error.  However, please note that I DID say the occasional [b][u]TYPO[/b][/i] is understandable?  Leaving a letter out or transposing a pair is pretty much expected, especially in what is (at least here) informal conversation.  The point of this post is [i]misuse[/i] of the language.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#11]
bad grammar something what never bothered me none, all y'all talk pretty good near as I can reckon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#12]
"me fail English? that's unpossible!"
-Ralph Wiggam
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm usually not bothered by this, except when I see someone refer to the opposite sex as women.

Everyone knows that it's womenz.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmmmph.  (A) I agree completely and (B) I made a very similar comment a few months ago and nearly got flamed into oblivion.  Judging from the reactions above, the board has matured a bit.  
My point then, and now, is that we, as a group, should be more aware than most: our mutual enemy is working overtime to paint us all as mouth-breathing cretins, and we give them fuel with every "apostrophe s".

"I'm a gun owner, I vote...and I can read the ballot, too."
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#15]
KBaker, there's an old Usenet tradition that all posts complaining about a spelling or grammar error contain either a spelling error, a grammar error, or more likely, both.  You're just following the well-established rule.

Seriously, the run-on sentences bother me more than the spelling and grammar errors, since I can understand how someone could have not learned the difference between they're, their, and there, but I simply don't understand why people can't divide their thoughts up into intelligent pieces, and I don't know if it isn't so much lack of education as it is desire to communicate well, so their run-on sentences make their posts hard to read and hard to understand, therefore their posts are not as effective as they could.z
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#16]
My pet peeve is improper apostrophe useage, some seem to think every word that has an "s" on the end gets an apostrophe.

When to use an apostrophe:

1) To show that letters or numbers have been omitted. [i]can't=cannot; '99=1999[/i]

2) To show the possessive case. [i]the boy's book; the boys' books[/i]

3) Showing the plurals of letters. [i]there are two l's in bell[/i]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Satcong: I don't know what those lyrics have to do with this thread...but thanks!

I sat here and sang the whole thing out loud.

Dobie Gray Rocks!!! (or is it spelled Grey?  Hey, it is relative to this thread!!!!)
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hmmmph.  (A) I agree completely and (B) I made a very similar comment a few months ago and nearly got flamed into oblivion.  Judging from the reactions above, the board has matured a bit.  
View Quote

A-hem

"I will go ahead and take credit for that, via my exceptional moderating style, I have chased off the childrenz. Which, I am quick to add, had gotten me little other than grief."

[}:D]  [BD]

Success is its own reward.

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
are you serious? the sound an owl makes is actually in the dictionary? well, i guess if D'OH made it in, anything is possible! (i always thought an owl said: "who, who")
View Quote

fattym4, it depends on the context.  When an owl is in general conversation, it is "hoo hoo", etc.  However, when it is actually asking the question, it is "who who?".  You see?

Anyway, I read many good posts on here, but I somewhat frequently have to spend more time than I'd like trying to decipher what the hell the person is saying.  Any communication is ineffective and potentially damaging to your argument if the delivery is at the level of a stunted third grader.  The ability to effectively communicate one's thoughts is probably one of the most important skills to have in life.

For example, many here who argued with McUZI were railroaded because they could not eloquently express their thoughts in an argument with him.  Although I may have disagreed with McUZI's argument and agreed with the other persons, his was certainly more compelling due to his delivery.  As a result, even though I disagreed with many of his stated beliefs, I respected him because he presented concise, well thought out and delivered posts.

And for goodness sake people, [b]USE PUNCTUATION!!![/b]

Just my .02 dollars.

BTW, this has bugged me for a while, and now KBaker has opened it up to discussion without singling anyone out.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh yeah, the misuse of "to" and "too" annoys me too.

You know what screws me up sometimes?  The proper uses of the words "effect" and "affect".
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#21]
effect = cause and effect
affect = this thread affects us all

hey chim, wouldn't the wiser of the owls ask: "to whom, with whom, etc." ???
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
hey chim, wouldn't the wiser of the owls ask: "to whom, with whom, etc." ???
View Quote

Yes, but since they don't have lips, they can't make the "m" sound.  Also, due to the configuration of their inner mouth and tongue, they cannot make the "t" or "th" sounds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Day after day I'm more confused
So I look for the light in the pouring rain
You know that's a game that I hate to lose
I'm feelin' the strain, ain't it a shame

Beginning to think that I'm wastin' time
I don't understand the things I do
The world outside looks so unkind
I'm countin' on you to carry me through

And when my mind is free
You know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue
The guitar's comin' through to soothe me

Thanks for the joy that you've given me
I want you to know I believe in your song
Rhythm and rhyme and harmony
You help me along makin' me strong

View Quote

satcong,

you've touched a real good place in my heart with this song.
It always reminds me of my late brother, Douglas, who died 11 years ago this Sept.19th at age 30 of complications regarding his diabetes, kidney failure, and Multiple Sclerosis thrown in on top of all that...
My brother was a great guy and died too young.

Thanks for posting the words---[i]if I could only remember who sang the song...[/i]

Doug used to be funnier than hell and played with the spoken word to get you laughing.  He had some truly humorous ways of twisting our English language around and some of the most hysterically funny voices, too.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heh, you quoted KBaker but you must have typed out the quote because you spelled English as Engish where KBaker didn't.   [:)]

/me checks spell checker before posting
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#25]
"I will go ahead and take credit for that, via my exceptional moderating style, I have chased off the childrenz. Which, I am quick to add, had gotten me little other than grief
View Quote

Ah...so.  Well, thanks, then.  I'd assumed that they'd been unable to read the cautions on their various medications and offed themselves.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, the misuse of "to" and "too" annoys me too.

You know what screws me up sometimes?  The proper uses of the words "effect" and "affect".
View Quote

You two, huh? (JOKE)

Norm

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#27]
That won't [b]affect[/b] you

That was an after [b]effect[/b]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#28]
This is bordering on obstruction of justice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This was brought up in another thread, and I thought it would be a good topic on its own.

Guys, the English language is being slaughtered, not just in here but pretty much everwhere online.  Do you ever read the newsgroups?

I can forgive the non-native speakers, but some of us write as if we've never been to school.  This is a medium of the written word - it really helps if you can write intelligibly.  People form their opinions of you based on what they see and hear.  They cannot see you and they cannot hear you on a bulletin board.  All they have to base an opinion on is what you write and how you write it.  If you're trying to make a philosophical point but write like a sixth grader, how well do you think your point gets across?  At LEAST use the spell check function if you're a bad speller.

I know some people take offense when their errors are pointed out, but take it as "positive feedback" - [b]learn[/b] from your mistakes.  If you want to go through life being considered a borderline illiterate, that's your choice.  Having a good command of the language has benefits beyond what others think of you, though.

Ok, my flameproof suit is on.  Fire up!
View Quote

Dis wuz brought down in anotha' thraid, an' I thought it would be some badass
topic on its own.

Guys, da English language be bein' slaughtered, not plum in in da house but
pretty much everwhere online. Do yo' ass eva' eyeball da newsgroups?

I kin forgive da damn non-native spaika's, but some kinda' o' us scribble as if
we've neva' been t' school. Dis be some medium o' da damn written word - it
tru-ly helps if yo' ass kin scribble intelligibly. Sucka's form deir opinions
o' yo' ass based on whut they spot an' haih'.  Fuckin' A! They caint spot yo'
ass an' they caint haih' yo' ass on some bulletin bo'd. All they got'ta base
some opinion on be whut yo' ass scribble an' how yo' ass scribble it. If u r
tryin' t' make some philosophical point but scribble likes some sixt' grada',
how well do yo' ass think yo' point gits across? At L-E-A-S-fuckin'-T 'esploit
da damn spell check funcshun if u r some way baaad spella'.

I know some kinda' sucka's snatch offense when deir errors be pointed out, but
snatch it as "positive feedback" - learn from yo' mistakes. If yo' ass wanna go
through life bein' considered some borderline illiterate, dat's yo' choice.
Havin' some badass command o' da damn language has benefits beyond whut otha's
think o' yo' ass, though.

I aint sayin' dat da damn occasional typo aint t' be 'espected, but as somecat
pointed out da damn 'esploit o' deir, they be, an' dair be badly mangled.  Slap
me some skin. Dat's plum one 'esample. Dat's not some typo, an' no spell check
will catch it. Yo' mama.

Ok, mah flameproof suit be on. Da bomb! Fire down!

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, but since they don't have lips, they can't make the "m" sound.  Also, due to the configuration of their inner mouth and tongue, they cannot make the "t" or "th" sounds.
View Quote

well, that explains a lot. i thought up until now, that the purple-tinted translucent owls that i converse with nightly all had speech impediments. whew! i thought i was going nuts!
[%|]

and RipMeyer, where did you gain such an exceptionally eloquent grasp on E-bonics?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#32]
My biggest gripe are the posters that never mix in a paragraph break.  It sure makes it too hard to read so I usually stop reading and move on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Fascinating use of modern urban vernacular, RipMeyer.

But seriously - read it carefully and see how much longer it takes you to get through THAT compared to how [i]I[/i] wrote it.  

Hey, maybe in 50 years that will be the accepted version of English that's taught in America - textbooks and all.  

If it is, though, I don't think anybody will be able to read by then.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#34]
From the Oxford University Press, Edpress News:

"It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.
Then too, it's hers.  It isn't her's. It isn't our's either.  It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs."

I hope things are a little clearer now.  [:P]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
kBaker... Here is a fun one to check out...

[url]http://www.specialweaponsllc.com/whatsnew.shtml[/url]

Read the whole thing...astonishing! This is a man with a degree in Mechanical Engineering!
View Quote
Well, as an Electrical Engineer myself, I'll be the first to admit that engineering students aren't required to learn to communicate well (image of pocket-protectored geek with taped-up glasses shuffling down a hallway mumbling to himself).  However, after reading that, I would be inclined to wonder if the guy could drill a round hole, much less manufacture HK quality parts.  Talk about poor advertising!  Man, sometimes we're our own worst enemies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top