Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2001 1:01:21 PM EDT
I'm just getting into High Power and was wondering what sort of home made target one could make to practice 200 yard offhand skills on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Cd roms!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Armadillo's. Did I ever mention, how much I hate the Texas state animal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
[size=6]CATS[/size=6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I like paper plates. Smaller for short ranges, regular for longer ranges.  Staple them to a long stick/lath, stick them in the ground(dots in center are optional).  Some gun rag had this suggestion a few years ago.  I put them up at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, and 400yds.  I'm too lazy to put them out much further.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Fruits.  Apples, oranges, for small targets.  Pumpkins or watermelons for big targets.  Wondering neighborhood cats for moving targets.  The fruits burst and they dont leave a long lasting mess.  I guess that goes for the cats to.  If you are interested in the cats I should be able to ship at least two really quickly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Under the do not try this at home banner:
When I was young/dumb I shot a propane cannister at about 300 yards with a mini-14. Took about 15 shots to finally hit it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guns762 for an informative reply. Although I'll take the other suggestions into consideration.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Monkeyboy beat me to the cat idea.  I hate those damn wondering cats.  Of couse its your neighbor that ownes them, if you call putting a bowl of food on the back porch owning.  Anyone have any quick, quiet ways of getting rid of these damn things?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I use pocket change. Pennies at 200yds, quarters at 300yds half dollars at 500yds.[;)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Monkeyboy beat me to the cat idea.  I hate those damn wondering cats.  Of couse its your neighbor that ownes them, if you call putting a bowl of food on the back porch owning.  Anyone have any quick, quiet ways of getting rid of these damn things?
View Quote

It is against the law to leave out bowls of anti freeze because it is sweet to the taste and smell and animals will drink it and die, so don't do that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use pocket change. Pennies at 200yds, quarters at 300yds half dollars at 500yds.[;)]
View Quote

I think I'd better practice a little more![>(]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Mee-yao [:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is against the law to leave out bowls of anti freeze because it is sweet to the taste and smell and animals will drink it and die, so don't do that.
View Quote

Why not do the honorable thing and shoot them with an airgun or a .22 CB.  

Poisoning is a horrible death. Just look at what Teddy Kennedy has done to himself.
View Quote

I don't think that a .22 CB would have any effect on Ted ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Ya the antifreeze idea sounds terrible, poor little kitties.  How long does the antifreeze death take.  Any other ideas that might be quicker?  The area I live in does not permit me to fire weapons in my back yard.  If I could shoot here I would be outside in full camo hunting cats with the SPAS 12 on semi and loaded with Brenneke 1oz slugs.  Oh that thought makes me smile.  I am giggling like a school girl.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#18]
antifreeze most times takes a good 24 hours for its full effects. in that time the cats major organs shut down or malfunction leading to horrid pain & a coma induced death
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Styrofoam paper plates.  Leaves nice round holes that can be seen at a distance.  Use a CD to color in a center.  Tape sticks to them great.  This is my patented invention, but you guys are granted temporary rights to it, because you are all by brothers-in-arms, and I love you all.  'sniff...
(in a platonic and not at all gay way!)  
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I just called Champion Shooter Supply and bought some standard 200 yard targets and some 100 yard reduced targets. I learned a neat trick from another shooter. Attach your targets to a piece cardboard that has a circle cut out where the black of the target is and tape a piece of white paper on the back of the cardboard covering the hole. That makes it much easier to see the holes through a spotting scope.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Water filled 1 gallon milk jugs and 2 liter pop bottles.  12" Ceramic Gnomes.  All at 685 yds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I have not tried them yet, but I am going to use charcoal briquettes set on a 2x4. I read they blow up into a black puff of smoke. I was thinking of drilling a few holes just big enough to wedge them in a 2X4.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#23]
clay pigeons work well, as do cheap generic bulk cookies.  No cleanup required and the cookies provide food for birds.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
cheap generic bulk cookies.  No cleanup required and the cookies provide food for birds.
View Quote

Around here it would be Fire Ant Food.[pissed]
KenS
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Water filled 1 gallon milk jugs and 2 liter pop bottles.  12" Ceramic Gnomes.  All at 685 yds.
View Quote

Ceramic Gnomes at long range - LOL.  Thank you for the idea!

I'm gonna fill a few of those boys with jello and spagetti.

I just wanna see Gnome guts at 500 yards.  

I believe I'm crossing over into the demented side of shooting.  Either that or it's the beer talking [beer].

Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#26]
People who would suggest killing a cat with anti-freeze are the kind of people who probably shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a firearm.  You're probably the same kind of people who feed dogs black powder to make them "good" guard dogs.  Why would you want to kill cats anyway?  They aren't pests.  They don't dig holes, eat your garden, or tip over your trash cans.  In fact, they get rid over the moles and mice and rats that do that kind of crap.  Does the presence of a real hunter that actually has some skill cause you to doubt your manhood?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#27]
 I use paper plates,but liberals & democraps will do fine in a pinch.
          ammo1015 p.s. i,m going to the gun show in Raleigh N.C. today wish me luck,i gotta buy somthing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I use fire extinguisher shells from units that are to be scrapped.  The CO2 bottles hold up well to many many rifle hits, and the pistols just scuff the paint.  Get a good ring out of them for an instant feed back.  Old ABC shells that still have the powder in them will puff all day when hit putting on a pretty good show and again instant feed back.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I use NRA slow-fire 25-yrd. pistol targets.  Cheap, heavy paper that is more wind-resistent than other target types.  I also use 75-meter M-16 targets.  They work well for zeroing a rifle.

Paper plates make a good el cheapo target.  Get the orange sticker bulleyes and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:58:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree with rg00red last post. Why shoot cats? Most likely they are someone's pet. Why break some little boy or girls heart when their beloved cat didn't come home? A cat you see wandering about might be someones house cat that got out and is trying to make it back home. Some people really love thier cat or dog and I would never shoot at one unless it was absolutely necessary.

One time when I was hunting by myself when I was about 13 years old, I heard a large dog barking and a few seconds later I saw it on the path ahead of me running straight towards me. The dog was about 10-15 yards ahead when it started it's charge. Instantly I shouldered my H&R single shot 12 gauge and prepared to shoot it. As soon as I had the gun to my shoulder and the hammer back, the dog froze in his tracks. He looked at me for a second and then turned around and ran away. It was almost as if he knew that I was going to shoot him. I don't know how he knew. I was perfectly within my right to shoot the dog as it ran away as I was on my family's posted property and the dog was tresspassing.  However, I didn't shoot the dog because it was probably someones hunting dog that got off the trail. I didn't want to break somebodys heart by shooting their pet. I have no problem killing game animals , but people have emotional connections with pets. Some old people who don't have any friends only source of happiness is thier cat.

Don't get me wrong, if some dangerous dog is always comming on your farm and harrassing your animals or kids, and you can't find an owner who will control it, then I would not hold it against you if you shot it.  However, any person with a soul should hessitate before they hurt someones pet. It just isn't the right thing to do unless it's absolutely necessary.

As for cheap targets, the subject of this thread. I use balloons or clay pigeons. I pick up the clay piegons from the skeet range for free. There is a skeet shooting club near my rifle range and I always stop by and pick up  the unbroken disks that are laying all over the ground. Lucky for me that skeet shoots miss often. :) Balloons are also a cheap reacitive target that are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#32]
If I had a range long enough (100+ yds), I would shoot CDs, floppies, broke computer hardware (HD, CD-ROMS, Motherboards, ect), older celluar phones that no longer work because SprintPCS say they failed HP, but work just fine when you de-activate them, buy a new phone and try to make a call [>:/]. Ooh yeah, and old worn ballcaps too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
People who would suggest killing a cat with anti-freeze are the kind of people who probably shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a firearm.  You're probably the same kind of people who feed dogs black powder to make them "good" guard dogs.  Why would you want to kill cats anyway?  They aren't pests.  They don't dig holes, eat your garden, or tip over your trash cans.  In fact, they get rid over the moles and mice and rats that do that kind of crap.  Does the presence of a real hunter that actually has some skill cause you to doubt your manhood?  
View Quote

People who suggest that others shouldn't be entitled to a constitutionally guaranteed right because they don't like their sense of humor are probably the same kind of people who preach "do it for the children" and ask "why do you need a gun like that?, You can't hunt with it" or "if it can save only one life, it's worth it" or "you don't need guns, that's what the Police are for". We were making a little joke, I think. I see where your coming from though. Enjoy your superiority over all the "cat killers". What do you care about someone's manhood. Do you sit around all day thinking about other mens manhood? I hope not but hey the world is full of all kinds of "different" people.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Lets see, why would I want to off a cat?  Cats that are in my yard are not pets.  Cats as pets are house cats that stay in the house not leave a bowl of food on the back porch and say hey that's my cat every once and a while type cats.  My neighbor's cats have set off my car alarm many times at all hours of the evening and early morning.  I have one brand new car and one newer car.  Nothing is more pleasing than getting up in the morning to see the god damn neighbor cat, remember I don't own a cat, sitting on the hood of my new car leaving a pile of hair, body oils, and potentially scratches.  They dig holes in my garden and shat at random.  They leave dead critters on my sidewalk and driveway.  If you had a dog, lets say you even muzzle it, and allowed it to wonder at random about the neighborhood, even though the neighbors asked you not to, what do you think would happen?  If someone's only source of happiness is their cat then they should keep inside where it will face many less dangers and they can spend more time with it.  I have nicely spoke to my neighbors about the cats and have only received negative responses.  I don't own cats so I don't want them in my yard, just like if I don't own a dog I don't want to clean up the neighbor dog's crap from my lawn.  I can always catch the cats and take them to the pound but they would end up killing them as well or handing them to someone else that is going to let them run all over hell. So I say bye bye kitties.  To say the type of person that doesn't like to have there crap messed up and there peace disturbed by a cat should not own a gun is just a silly comment.  I would love to keep tearing you up for making that comment but I just don't want to invest the time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I usually order centers, from Creadmore sports or Champion Shooters Supply, the 100 yard centers are around 7.50 for 100, the 200 yard (600 reduced) is around 15 for 100.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#36]
bowling pins!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#37]
An 8ft. 2x4 with little green army men stapled down to it. We set about 10 to 15 men on each side and see who can wipe the others squad out first its a tough job at 100yrds. TRY IT!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey Dirk get over it man......

let us know how you really feel.

I am a varmint hunter. I will kill any domestic short hair cat that is wondering about in the field. They are the most destructive preditor I have ever witnessed. Ferral cats will, just like house cats, kill for the fun of it. They will and do kill off natural species. They are imported pests.

I do not kill pet kats farm kats etc... they serve there purpose.
I do kill cats though....they make damn fine slippers

[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks Bigmac, i was just trying to get my point across.  I think I am over it, now I'm not, ok now I am.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Gotta second the bowling pin nomination.  I like reactive targets and they are just the right shape!

[img]http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/tales/guns/lead.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:54:37 AM EDT
[#41]
rg00red, Well we are in total agreement there

Dirk, Maybe if you had a life you would be less worried about BS stuff like that.

Sukebe, Nice, telling others how to commit crimes.

Leave the cats alone unless they are doing something, like killing your chickens, or acting rabid. Anti-freeze is a horrid way to kill something, it basically emblams them a little at a time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#42]
In spite of the flames I may get:

I HAVE used cats as targets  - dry firing only.
According to my local humane society (oxymoron if I ever saw one), cats, even domesticated ones, are considered wild animals where I live.  I don't harm the ones I see, since I know who they belong to.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#43]
OK all you cat lovers,
Cats aren't all pets.  That is a simple fact.  Not all of us live two houses down from 7 year old Jane who loves her little kitty.  Cute little kitties don't play with string and catnip everywhere.
I have two young outdoor cats who stay close to home and kill mice.  I feed them regularly, water them, and they always are current with their shots.  They will play with me and purr at me when they are stroked.
I will kill any stray cats who comes around.  They are nasty creatures who hiss and spit, and eat my cat's food.  They are not pets, nor could be claimed as such.  I want stray cats hanging around my house like I want raccoons, coyotes, and prarie dogs.  

I love people, but that doesn't mean I will allow a bum to hang out in my yard.  I like cats, but stray cats are not cute and are dangerous.  They eat song birds.  They smell and carry diseases.  They are WILD ANIMALS!

Don't judge people because you have no idea of the circumstances.  Where do we live?  Many live in the city, but many also live in the country.  My city dwelling inlaws heard that I kill raccoons, and they freaked!  "You can't shoot poor little Ranger Rick" they said.  "Raccoons are cute" they said.  They had never actually seen a 20 lb fierce, scarred, raccoon trashing their garage.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#44]
cat haters usually squeel like pigs when a .223 rips through them, but if you can stand the noise...[uzi]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Torf

US
75 Posts
Posted - 08/15/2001 :  16:15:31        

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I'm laughing so hard I'm crying, I mean my sides are aching! Their is a third option you don't want to consider because I disagree with you on this crap. What I meant by "you folks" is you cop haters. I'm a bad cop because I'm not willing to jump to conclusions based on half the story and you are all smarter than me because you jump to conclusions on what is meant by "you folks". Again you folks are so predictable. to all cop haters, You can all kiss this

I don't think you really are a cop. No real cop would have this kind of attitude. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't cops supposed to serve and protect? I say we abolish the FOP, departments, and allow private citizens police themselves. We'd be safer...

Sukebe, If you come over to my house, a dog will come running out to greet you. Friendly and noble, he is a GShepherd that protects my kids and fetches my frisbees. Is he a dead dog?

If anyone ever shoots my dog, they had better have a damn good reason, and I will decide rather quickly if that is the case

[red] Remember this post Torf, It was about a dog being shot. Seems you have differnent standards, based on your own biases. [/red]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't judge people because you have no idea of the circumstances.  Where do we live?  Many live in the city, but many also live in the country.  My city dwelling inlaws heard that I kill raccoons, and they freaked!  "You can't shoot poor little Ranger Rick" they said.  "Raccoons are cute" they said.  They had never actually seen a 20 lb fierce, scarred, raccoon trashing their garage.
View Quote

Don't judge people........ you had no problem saying you would judge anyone who shot your dog. I guess other people wouldn't have the same right to judge you if you shot thier cat??
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#47]
IMO - I love my dogs.  I do NOT let them roam freely, nor are they ever outdoors unsupervised.  I believe that anyone who feels the same about their animals should do the same.  While I have  backed off of shooting 'free-range' cats, you bet your ass if one gets into my (fenced) backyard I'll field-goal its ass out, ONCE.  If it returns, I have to figure it's allowed out constantly, therefore its owners don't really give a shit about it anyway, by my definition.  In that event, it's getting the suppressed Eley .22 subsonic treatment.  I'll be damned if I'm going to pay vet bills to have my dogs taped up because YOU can't keep your damn cat out of my yard. [rocket]

That being said, I don't condone cruelty to animals, or random stuff like the antifreeze trick.  If one of my dogs (collared, tagged, and micro-chipped) were to accidentally get out, I'd hope someone would return him, not poison him.

QS
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#48]
OK OLY-M4gery, you must be a complete fool.
We are talking about family pets versus stray cats.  I think there may be a difference.  If you can't see the difference, then what gives?  I am not a cop hater, I just don't see the comparison.

I would also shoot a pesky or dangerous wild dog too, so go ahead and dredge up old unapplicable posts all day long.  You are not making much sense.

Geez, I am not killing your cats.  What a wierdo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#49]
I would not go over to someones house and shoot a cat for fun.  Ever consider the fact that wild cats exist, and aren't pets?  They breed like rabbits in the wild and they steal feed from barns and garages.  Go back to hugging the trees, they are much cuter than mangey stray cats.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanx Torf, for that rational adult response.

I have posted in the past every living thing has intrinstic value. I also posted that pets have greater value than other animals becuase they are companions to humans.

I also posted that in certain circumstances it is justified to kill animals. That means deer hunting, the dog attacking your dog on your property, or a rabid cat. Tresspassing is not a reason to kill a cat. Cats, even pets, have a "wander-lust" that dogs don't. This started with someone asking how to kill his neighbors outdoor cats.

Torf, If you don't want to be judged, than maybe you should be less judgemental.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top