Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2001 7:34:39 PM EDT
so whats the deal, guns in dorms? any collage students shed some light here??
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is it could be a big no-no.

First, if it is campus housing, it could be considered a gun on school grounds, which is big trouble.

Second, consider the roomate situation, plus the high volume of traffic through a college room, makes it an easy target for either theft, or someone wetting their pants over the issue and calling the cops.

Wait for an apartment IMHO, unless you need it for defense.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are going to go to college, learn to spell it. I don't think guns are allowed in college.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang dude.  I hope your major isn't English.  It's spelled college, not collage.  A collage is a technique of composing a work of art, which in and of itself can be related to guns.

But to answer your question.  I've always lived in appartments.  Never a dorm.  I've known people who kept pistols in their dorm room but only when they really trusted their roomie.  Often it is against school policy and you can be expelled.  I've also heard of a guy who keeps his long guns in the University police safe.  I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say big time bad idea.  It has bad, bad, bad written all over it, not to mention it is probably illegal.  Were I you, I would find some place such as a relative to store them. If that is not possible wait until you get your own place off campus.  Fortunately I wont have to worry about that, I go to community college now, and am going to live at my uncles farm house when I transfer to school, (no rent, house to myself, and all the hunting and shooting I can stand).
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont do it.  Most colleges have very strict rules about weapons on campus. Not to mention,most are very liberal. If youre caught its over.  Not to mention it will go on your academic record in some places.  Good luck getting in somewhere else with any kind of reputaion.  Also, if a drunk roomie finds it one day and shoots someone, pack your bags!  If you are off campus in an apartment its more likely that they cant do anything to you.  But keep them out of the dorms.  If I am not mistaken even the FBI academy locks up the weapons after you are done using them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It's been about 10 years since I was in college' but I've been down this road and it's not pleasant. Most colleges are not gun-friendly places and almost none would allow guns in the dorms.

I got caught with a pistol in my dormroom and lost the pistol until school was out. Luckily I went to smaller private school. I can only imagine what a liberal state school would do.

My best advice is not to keep your guns at school. Even if you try to do it in secret, word will somehow get out and you'll get busted.

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#7]
When I first hit the dorms nearly twenty years ago, the answer to guns was not no, but [b][i]HELL NO!!!![/i][/b] I doubt that things have become any enlightened since. I would do as suggested earlier:

1) Live off campus if at all possible

2) PASS ENGLISH COMP I and II 'cause you need it, big time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Not so fast. I went to the university of Maine, uppon arrival to my dorm, I was directed to an area where our guns were to be stored. The RA placed my guns in a closet on the ground floor, inside were some racks for rifles and such. After a few months, we all had our guns in our rooms. Keep in mind this was northern Maine, no booming metropolis. If you hunt, they will most likely make some arangements for you.  Peace.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
hey guys, ease up on the english, my poor grammer is a passive protest to libral .........ah............demo....ahhh, ok so im just a moron. im not really considering the collage gun situtation yet. im sorta weighing my options right now. some family have a great place that i could live in when i go to college. its a trailor, in a trailor park. on a lake. they tell me its nice cause their is a contract to keep out hte trailor trash. like no junked cars, rules on animals, and oh yah, no firearms, WHAT!!???!!, it was all sounding real goos 'till that part. a whole community with no guns alowed??, get robbed much??
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
hey guys, ease up on the english, my poor grammer is a passive protest to libral .........ah............demo....ahhh, ok so im just a moron. im not really considering the collage gun situtation yet. im sorta weighing my options right now. some family have a great place that i could live in when i go to college. its a trailor, in a trailor park. on a lake. they tell me its nice cause their is a contract to keep out hte trailor trash. like no junked cars, rules on animals, and oh yah, no firearms, WHAT!!???!!, it was all sounding real goos 'till that part. a whole community with no guns alowed??, get robbed much??
View Quote

[V]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I am going back to college for my third year.  There are about 20 or so of us that store our guns locked in the trunks of our cars, or in my situation, behind the seat of my truck.  Haven't had a single problem yet and we go shooting most every weekend.  As long as you don't advertise the fact that you have guns at school and keep them [b]out of the dorm[/b] you shouldn't have any problems.  If you got caught (how would that happen?) they would probably fine you and tell you to take them home.  Guess it depends on the school you go to though, mine is a smaller private college.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
You will be forever judged by your communications skills or lack thereof, so remediate now if necessary. As for storing your gear in Maine, that's fine, but why don't they (i.e., the college admin and dormitory supervisors) think you're responsible enough to lock up your gear yourself? Dorm life sucks on its good days. Live off campus, period.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#14]
In school that me attend, University of Illinois, anyone who in dorms can't have gun unless chef security officer let him?  Good luck with grades for Collage!

Me fail english thats umpossible.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
guns locked in the trunks of our cars, or in my situation, behind the seat of my truck.  
View Quote

that would be good for one gun, but im not a one gun kinda guy, i guess i better be looking for an apartment
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I learned to make a [b]collage, spelled c-o-l-l-a-g-e[/b] in grade school, but I attended [b]college, spelled c-o-l-l-e-g-e[/b] while pursuing a post-secondary education (that's fancy terminology for a degree).
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am going back to college for my third year.  There are about 20 or so of us that store our guns locked in the trunks of our cars, or in my situation, behind the seat of my truck.  Haven't had a single problem yet and we go shooting most every weekend.  As long as you don't advertise the fact that you have guns at school and keep them [b]out of the dorm[/b] you shouldn't have any problems.  If you got caught (how would that happen?) they would probably fine you and tell you to take them home.  Guess it depends on the school you go to though, mine is a smaller private college.
View Quote

because cars [i][/b]never[/i][/b] get stolen or broken into at a college (or is that collage?)
[;)]
Zaz
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Shit man, here I am thinking this was a Topic to post gun pics for some collage project. You know...multiple pics all molded into one for a kindergarden level show-and-tell.
LMAO
C6
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Jeezus gyes, he onely spelled one word rong!  Eze up a litle. [BD]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
View Quote

No problem.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#23]
was this a joke???

are you trying to say that only uneducated people need to carry guns?

what??? once you have a diploma hanging on the wall it will protect you from home invasions????

or maybe you can outsmart the robbers like in this instance?
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/kpix/20010815/lo/981_1.html

It is a big NO-NO in cali to have any "fire arm" on any state or fed funded school (private shcools have their own rules).  If you are that worried about defending yourself keep a can of pepper spray under the pillow and a bat leaning against the nightstand.  Even if they allow you to keep a firearm in your dorm room it will be locked up tight.  By time you can get to it, any conflict you hoped to defer would already be over and done with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#24]
If memory serves, it is OK.

In fact, my roommate and I, as well as every other student, were issued fully functional M14s on the first day...

Oh, wait.

WHICH college?

It was mandatory at the CITADEL. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I kind of got caught with guns in my dorm. Lucky for me I was out shooting when the campus police came knocking. I turned my guns in to the police storage center and I was given a warning by them and the hall. I was ratted out by a close aquantance. Trust no one! When I go back this fall I will turn in everything except my handgun. It's small enough to hide.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#27]
yah, i dont really wanna go with out my SURs and such though. i guess im going to have to go off campus.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:52:51 AM EDT
[#28]
"guns and collage, help me out here."

OK.  First you need your supplies:

Construction paper
Paste
scissors
Catalogs and old gun magazines (the kind you read)
newspapers

Now we're ready.
Spread out the newspaper on the kitchen table or a desk (so as not to make a mess!).  Go through the catalogs and magazines and cut out pictures of your favorite guns.
Arrange them on the construction paper in a way you find aesthetically pleasing. Don't glue it down yet! Try different arrangements until you're sure it's just right.  
Now glue the pictures down (don't use too much paste).

Now that we're done, write your name on it and stick it on the refrigerator door.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Major Murphy, Sir, that was pretty funny - you managed to add a fresh note of sarcasm to an already approached joke. True talent..

mattsd: Assuming you meant College with an "e," I have to say I lived in Dorms three years and kept my AR under my bed the whole time. It was locked in a Pelican Travel Vault and chained to my bedframe at all times unless I took it shooting. I had the advantage of a military backgrounsd and a known accomplished marksman - so as people did find out that may have helped prevent the "he is going to kll people" reaction. I always felt kinda odd carrying it out hte doors though. Reminded me of high school - same case - I would carry it in to school and security guards would think I was in the band [:)].

I was lucky - had a friend whose roommate almost got him kicked off campus on a weapons charge. He was a martial arts instructor and owned a pair of tsais. Whoopdee freakin doo. So you see - it's all a matter of timing and who finds out.

Adam
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Major Murphy, Sir, that was pretty funny - you managed to add a fresh note of sarcasm to an already approached joke. True talent..

mattsd: Assuming you meant College with an "e," I have to say I lived in dorms three years and kept my AR under my bed the whole time. It was locked in a Pelican Travel Vault and chained to my bedframe at all times unless I took it shooting. I had the advantage of a military background and was a known accomplished marksman - so as people did find out that may have helped prevent the "he is going to kll people" reaction. I always felt kinda odd carrying it out the doors though. Reminded me of high school - same case - I would carry it in to school and security guards would think I was in the band [:)].

I was lucky - had a friend whose roommate almost got him kicked off campus on a weapons charge. He was a martial arts instructor and owned a pair of tsais. Whoopdee freakin doo. So you see - it's all a matter of timing and who finds out.

Adam
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Here in Georgia if you have a CCWL you can ask the Dean of Students permission to carry on campus and must present a valid reason why (i.e. someone is stalking me, serial rapist in the area etc.)you can store hunting guns at the campus police office. I have a drawer uunder the backseat of my truck where i keep a MIni-14.
But not while I drive to school, I commute everyday.
-Chuck

PS Spell College Right.
I have a Gun "COLLAGE" on MS powerpoint if you wanna see.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#32]
i just graduated a couple of years ago.  i found that it was more convient to leave the guns at home while living on campus in the dorms.  i know where i went too school (furman), any firearm was a big no-no.  they didn't even allow ccw permit holders to carry.

i also would suggest you leave your more expensive firearms at home--apartments are a prime target for break-ins.  from my experience college students are a very trusting bunch.  the door on our apartment was basically a revolving door with all sorts of friends and other folks constantly dropping by to hang out.  wity guns being easy to steal and sell hot, they would be very much at risk for being taken.

if you really want to have guns on campus--your best bet is to goto public safety or the campus cops.  explain to them you like to shoot and see if they will store your weapons in their office. it will keep you out of trouble, let you have your guns with you, keep them safe from being stolen and maybe even get you an invite to their shooting range.  

i wouldn't listen to citadelgrad either.  them folks down there in charleston are anything but your typical college or students (i had to say that having gone to a rival in-state college).  sloth
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#33]
My solution to this was to only have my carry gun (Glock 23, at the time) in my dorm.  I bought one of those little safes at Wal-Mart, spray-stenciled my name on it and put it in my closet.  I had a cool roomdog who could keep his mouth shut, and anyway it wasn't in there very much.  I only stowed it when I went to a party or to bars.  After I pledged, I moved to our frat house and EVERYDAMNBODY had guns there.  I got a locking cabinet and screwed it to the floor in my room and that was that.  

I carried a lot on campus in a fanny pack, or in my backpack.  I went to Indiana State ('95) and I was never questioned by campus cops or anyone else.

QS
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go back and read his second post in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I, too, am a "collage" kid like yourself.  Guns in dorms here is a big No-No, an offense which will most likely get you expelled...and this is in Alabama!

I am lucky enough to live off-campus about 1/2 mile from the school.  There was actually a rule last year which said "no firearms" in my apartment complex.  I have since learned that, unless they are [b]State Owned[/b], they have absolutely no right to enforce this rule.  For the past 1/2 year, we have been under new owners/management, so I am going to go down today, review the lease (looking for that rule), and ask them if they are state or franchised (most likely) owned.  There are many College Parks across the South-East, thus the franchise, and I do believe they will not win this battle.

Anyway, off of my rant, the first thing I would do is ask the campus police for advice.  If they can't help you out as far as storage goes, I suggest finding a trusted friend off-campus to hold the guns.  Your firearms, in this case, are not worth the price of your Edumuhkashun.

[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/mountain jew.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
hey guys, ease up on the english, my poor [b]grammer[/b] is a passive protest to [b]libral[/b] .........ah............demo....ahhh, ok so [b]im[/b] just a moron. [b]im[/b] not really considering the [b]collage[/b] gun [b]situtation[/b] yet. [b]im[/b] sorta weighing my options right now. some family have a great place that i could live in when i go to college. [b]its[/b] a trailor, in a trailor park. on a lake. they tell me its nice cause their is a contract to keep out hte trailor trash. like no junked cars, rules on animals, and oh yah, no firearms, WHAT!!???!!, it was all sounding real goos 'till that part. a whole community with no guns alowed??, get robbed much??

One word huh?

OK, all jokes aside, I go to a state university but its only 2 blocks away from my parents' house (no rent, no food expenses, just money for firearm related stuff... hehehe). If I was in your situation, I would just take the handgun in and hide it and wouldn't tell anyone. If you really wanted to bring your SUR's, just keep it in the campus police safe. Otherwise, just leave them home.

P.S. Did you know there was a spell check right next to the "Submit" button? Try it out sometimes. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#37]
mattsd, forget the dorms! I was a professional college student for 9 years [BD], and I can tell you it is far easier to get girls to come home with you if you have your own bedroom in a house or apartment. Plus you can cook, have parties, KEEP GUNS, etc, etc. Dorms truly suck! They are for weenies! Off campus housing is where it's at. At Ga Tech, me and some buds rented a whole house and had a good, good, time. Better than any frat had! Plus, we were within walking distance of class, plus there was a shuttle bus that we could ride that came thru the area (Home Park), and even a van service we could call to take us to bars!

Ahhh, the good old days! [beer]

PS work on that there spellin'! T-R-A-I-L-E-R In English 101 the first misspelled word was -20 points! Two and ya flunk!
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#38]
i could go back and fix all the errors, but why would i. i have to go to school in a week, so im gonna enjoy being simple while i can.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, good luck anyway. Study hard - party hard! In that order. [beer]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Go back and read his second post in this thread.
View Quote

Ok, he's on his own.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#42]
And don't use "your" for "you're" or "it's" for "its" or other bonehead usage errors, like "to" for "too" and vice-versa.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I know it's a no-no (at least in CA!) to have weapons on any kinda campus, skool, etc.  

And there was a guy popped in UC Berkeley, I believe - he had a firearm or two in his apartment: even though it was a privately owned/operated apt, it was inside the confines of UC Berkeley campus. I am not sure if I have all the facts correct here or even the outcome -was he charged, expelled, did the case go anywhere, etc.

If you're not far from a town with a cheap ministorage facility - with management you trust - you could put a lockbox in a small unit.
Other stuff you & other guys wanna keep off-campus could be stored there too so several folks could chip in for the monthly rent.

-Bill

Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#44]
odds are I will have family close enough to store guns their, but I just don't like the idea of not having a gun at quick access.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
so whats the deal, guns in dorms? any collage students shed some light here??
View Quote

Its a bad idea, if you want to take your guns stay off campus. If your college has a shooting club I would check with them in advance maybe they have some other ideas or a secure 'armory' where they can be safely stored.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I lived in a fraternity house while in college (I was going to f$#& with you but I see you've already received more shelling than Stalingrad)Anyway, It was against campus "policy" to keep a firearm in the fraternity house so I kept it (pump shotgun) at the University Police station until someone thoughtfully handled it enough to leave rusting fingerprints permanently etched into the metal. I locked it in my truck for a while until we caught some "dumpster-dude" breaking into a ground floor room. I kept it within easy reach in my room after that (made sure my roommate knew how to handle it safely as well). However, that was 12 years ago, my advise today would be not to risk a "weapons charge" screwing-up the rest of your life. If you can afford it, live off-campus in the land of the free to keep and bear arms. If you must live on-campus inquire about the possession/use of "non-lethal" weapons (Oleo-Capsicum foam/spray, tactical baton, or good old-fashioned pool-cue or baseball bat).
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I, too, am a "collage" kid like yourself.  Guns in dorms here is a big No-No, an offense which will most likely get you expelled...and this is in Alabama!

I am lucky enough to live off-campus about 1/2 mile from the school.  There was actually a rule last year which said "no firearms" in my apartment complex.  I have since learned that, unless they are [b]State Owned[/b], they have absolutely no right to enforce this rule.  For the past 1/2 year, we have been under new owners/management, so I am going to go down today, review the lease (looking for that rule), and ask them if they are state or franchised (most likely) owned.  There are many College Parks across the South-East, thus the franchise, and I do believe they will not win this battle.

[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/mountain jew.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Hey Jew, I think I know why you can't have guns are your place.  The College Park in IL, is considered Private Certified Housing, and falls under Official University of Illinois housing, and since anything that is Officially part of the U of I is considered state property.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Dont even Think about it Fla!
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey Jew, I think I know why you can't have guns are your place.  The College Park in IL, is considered Private Certified Housing, and falls under Official University of Illinois housing, and since anything that is Officially part of the U of I is considered state property.  
View Quote

Actually, I checked today, and this College Park is owned by some corporation in Pennsylvania - got them by their balls now.  And our apt. complex actually got some heat from the university over having the "AU" (Auburn U.) logo on the bottom of the swimming pool, and they had to remove it.  That proved they had no affiliation with the University.  I will check the lease Monday and see if there is indeed a firearms rule, and if so, will probe the manager for details about the ownership of the complex.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I am still trying to figure out whats in Major Murphy's refridgerator
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top