Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2006 10:11:48 PM EDT

This was a result of not checking the chamber twice while doing a simple break down.  I thought it was clear.  Thats the problem.  I thought.  Didnt check.  I know better.  
I just thank God I practiced at least some safty and had it pointed toward an exterior wall.
Solid penatration through 3 layers of desk.  2" penatration of wall through sheet rock.  Bullet recovered.   As I learned tonight.  REMEMBER !! THE GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED !!!! This was my first, and I hope my LAST axcidental negligent discharge! After years of guns. No injuries and I have changed my pants.  If you have an axcidenal / negligent discharge story, and you dont have to much pride to let others learn from it, please post it here so others will take head and realize it IS possible, and learn to double check every time no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
bet that was loud
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
in before the shitstorm, glad you weren't hurt and we all learn from our mistakes
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Cant hear jack outta my left ear, and it sounds like sprinklers running in my rite.  Ya, It was LOUD .
EDIT:
in before the shitstorm, glad you weren't hurt and we all learn from our mistakes

Ya, I was kindda expecting a storm,  oh well, I'm not perfect.  Glad I didnt get hurt to. Thanks.  I even had my hand on the slide when it went of because I was taking the slide off.  Didnt even get pinched.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
That would be a negligent discharge, not accidental.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
IBTNANC

(In before the not accidental, negligent crowd)

Ah sh*t missed it by one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
bet that was loud

+1 yea, how is your hearing
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IBTNANC

(In before the not accidental, negligent crowd)

Ah sh*t missed it by one.

Too late.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
apartment? your house..what was on the other side of the wall?

Im sure it will not happen again, I just glad nobody else was hurt...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
as I said in my post Was totaly my stupidity and was negligent to check.
So + 1 for me too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Brick house.  There is a field on the other side of the wall.  1/2mi at least till next structure out that wall.  I checked no exterior damage.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Lucky lucky.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad to see that both yourself and no1 else was hurt.Threads like this always remind me to double check when handling a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Lots of people say accidental because negligence is a state of the criminal mind.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Hilarious.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#15]
This is not a ballistic test.

It is photo-documentation of a negligent discharge.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Mark71 : Glad to see that both yourself and no1 else was hurt.Threads like this always remind me to double check when handling a firearm.

Thats why I posted it.  Even though I knew I would probly get hammered on (needed). Just a reminder.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
1)  Glad you and everyone else within range is alright.  I hope your hearing returns.  

2)  Dumbass

3)  Good to see that you are willing to man up and take responsibility.  I had a friend that had a ND and for two years claimed that it was the gun's fault, it just went off, etc etc (he was putting the hammer down on a 1911...he did not like cocked and locked...dumbass).  For some reason it seems that alot of folks find it easier to blame the gun, and not the shooter (sound familiar?).

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#19]
well at least you learned
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#20]
This was totally my fualt.  I didnt double check.  I looked at the mag laying next to the gun when I picked it up. Figured it didnt have the mag in it.  It was the spare.  Pulled slide back,( Figured with no mag in it, if there was a round in it, it would have ejected), locked, flipped up leaver, slowly dropped slide, then pulled the trigger to release the slide. and KA_BLAM !!! Scared me bad enough that I dont think I will be Neglecting to DOUBLE DOUBLE check.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bet that was loud

+1 yea, how is your hearing

How bad was it?

Damn I almost homie typed that...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Hearing is fine now.  That was loud !
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#23]
etexer: glad to hear everyone is ok

how are the ears?

my ND stories:
was trying to unload a charter arms .38spl--i was 14 and not into revolvers; well i though that the cylander was unlocked via the thumb stud on the side--its not
well i cocked the hammer and tried to lower it by hand (done it a million times to other hammers, but this one was a newer version w/ a shaved hammer), well it slipped and gun went off....inside my parents' living room, ~ a foot from my right ear (ears were ringing for 4 days)
never found a bullet or a hole

2nd story:
friend gave me some 'practice' AK ammo; tried it at the range and it shot for sh*t--FTF/FTE all day long
before putting up the AK, i racked the slide to eject any more FTE rnds--none came out (did NOT visually check it )
later on, while unloading the guns, i dried fired the AK while walking to the apt door, pointed at the ground.....BOOM!
damn thing got half the apt complex's neighbors asking WTF?
ears were ringing for ~20 mins

lessons learned: dont manually drop a dehorned hammer; dont shoot sh*tty AK ammo; Double, Tripped check your chamber to VISUALLY make sure its empty!

hopefully no more NDs!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Ouch! I've never had an N/D but maybe it's because I'm always thinking I might - this time... or this time...  or THIS time (every time).

Glad you're okay etexer.  Are ya going to save the holes .

Steve
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Just be more careful, learn something and drive on.

People might flame you, but it can happen to anyone. I've never had an ND, but there have been more times then I like to count where I've found myself being too lax with firearms.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:39:07 AM EDT
[#26]
That gunpowder taste go away yet?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:50:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ouch! I've never had an N/D but maybe it's because I'm always thinking I might - this time... or this time...  or THIS time (every time).

Glad you're okay etexer.  Are ya going to save the holes .

Steve

I haven't had one either.
I don't sit around and finger fuck my firearms when I get bored.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:04:21 AM EDT
[#28]
That's what happens when you stay up too late chatting on the phone, your concentration goes

Here's one for you:

I was in on leave at my parents house where I kept my safe.  I always broke down and cleaned all my weapons annually when I came through.  I am done cleaning and have one last weapon to put back - my 870 Marine Magnum.  I don't keep weapons in the safe loaded, but I do keep snap caps in the chambers.  I kept shells in the sidesaddle of the 870 at the time.  I had dumped the snap cap and shells onto the water bed in the spare bedroom by my safe while I cleaned the guns.  I put the shells back into the sidesaddle and then loaded the snap cap and pulled the trigger.  870 was pointed in a safe direction but not in a "water bed safe zone".  I fired a flechette round into the pillows at the head of the bed.  Of course I am standing there with a WTF look on my face and feathers everywhere.  The snap caps and the flechettes that I kept in the sidesaddle are both red.  They got mixed on the bed and the rest is written in skids.  From a distance of 3 feet, the flechettes penetrated a large feather pillow and all but 1 needle came to rest in the second pillow.  That needle went on into the water cylinder of the water bed and began a slow leak that my mom and dad found many weeks (and "I'm really sorry's") later.  Changed to a bright orange safety snap cap after that.

Steve
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's what happens when you stay up too late chatting on the phone, your concentration goes

Here's one for you:

I was in on leave at my parents house where I kept my safe.  I always broke down and cleaned all my weapons annually when I came through.  I am done cleaning and have one last weapon to put back - my 870 Marine Magnum.  I don't keep weapons in the safe loaded, but I do keep snap caps in the chambers.  I kept shells in the sidesaddle of the 870 at the time.  I had dumped the snap cap and shells onto the water bed in the spare bedroom by my safe while I cleaned the guns.  I put the shells back into the sidesaddle and then loaded the snap cap and pulled the trigger.  870 was pointed in a safe direction but not in a "water bed safe zone".  I fired a flechette round into the pillows at the head of the bed.  Of course I am standing there with a WTF look on my face and feathers everywhere.  The snap caps and the flechettes that I kept in the sidesaddle are both red.  They got mixed on the bed and the rest is written in skids.  From a distance of 3 feet, the flechettes penetrated a large feather pillow and all but 1 needle came to rest in the second pillow.  That needle went on into the water cylinder of the water bed and began a slow leak that my mom and dad found many weeks (and "I'm really sorry's") later.  Changed to a bright orange safety snap cap after that.

Steve

Oh man, I bet that was a pisser .
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
you know better, you fucked up. Drive on.

Hang around firearms long enough and eventually it WILL happen to you or someone next to you. Humans make mistakes, shit happens. the main thing is you had it pointed away from anything serious and no one was injured.

Check it,
check it,
then check it again just to make sure you checked it.

+1
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad your Ok and no one was hurt. It will just be another learning experience for you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I think a Federal Hydrashock would have done a better job.

So what does Leg of Desk taste like?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you know better, you fucked up. Drive on.

Hang around firearms long enough and eventually it WILL happen to you or someone next to you. Humans make mistakes, shit happens. the main thing is you had it pointed away from anything serious and no one was injured.

Check it,
check it,
then check it again just to make sure you checked it.

+1

Yep.  I'm real spooky about it too because we live in a condo and there's ALWAYS something on the other side of the wall. I'm actually thinking about re-arraigning the living/dining room area so I can take the table over by the only outside wall we have.  Then I could have a safer place to point the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I am generally not a spelling nazi but could you at least edit your post to spell accidental correctly?  It makes Americans look bad.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
bet that was loud

WHAT DID YOU SAY?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a G17 slam fire on me when I loaded it for carry. I inserted a mag, and dropped the slide. There was gunk in the firing pin channel that held the pin forward. The 147gr CorBon JHP went through my wall, and into my roommate's room, and lodged in the exterior wall. He was in the basement at the time, diectly below my room. He was upstairs and yelling "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?" almost before I had cleared the pistol.

I believe that qualifies as an ACCIDENTAL since it was due to a mechanical malfunction, and not anything negligent that I did. We lived in the suburbs, but no neighbors heard anything.

I detail stripped the gun, sprayed it down with brake cleaner and degreaser, and thoroughly cleaned it, top to bottom. I removed about eight pounds of crap from the slide structure. (It was a used gun, and I never did a full cleaning on it after I bought it)

No problems after that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I know that negligence was the sole and procuring cause of this incident, but I cannot help but notice how much more frequently this seems to happen on guns that have a "mandatory" hammer drop as part of stripping the gun.

I've got a new Beretta PX4, for example, and I don't think I've EVER dropped the hammer with the trigger other than at the range.  

Word to the wise:   If you've got a Glock or an XD, you need to be at the HIGHEST vigilence in your observation of the safety rules, because the design of the gun requires you to break those rules during an ordinary strip down (i.e., you are required to put your finger on the trigger and pull it for purposes OTHER than firing the gun).

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Word to the wise:   If you've got a Glock or an XD, you need to be at the HIGHEST vigilence in your observation of the safety rules, because the design of the gun requires you to break those rules during an ordinary strip down (i.e., you are required to put your finger on the trigger and pull it for purposes OTHER than firing the gun).

I think thats why you hear of so many with the glock.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Glad you are okay.

The two loudest sounds in the world:

A click when you expect a bang, and a bang when you expect a click.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[
Yep.  I'm real spooky about it too because we live in a condo and there's ALWAYS something on the other side of the wall. I'm actually thinking about re-arraigning the living/dining room area so I can take the table over by the only outside wall we have.  Then I could have a safer place to point the muzzle.

i picked up a surplus interceptor vest groin pad cheap. i use it as a clearing pad in my shop. it may not prevent damage to the table but the round isn't going through the kevlar pad. Thay can be found cheap if you look around.

+1
That is a real good idea.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#43]
But...

XD's have a loaded chamber indicator!!

j/k

Glad you're ok

I had an ND with a Beretta 92 about 10 years ago. The bullet went into the dirt about 3 inches from the rear tire of my dad's farm tractor    I learned a lesson that day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for taking the time to again remind the rest of us about this.  Maybe you’ve helped somebody else.

Quoted:
... I've never had an ND, but there have been more times then I like to count where I've found myself being too lax with firearms.

+1 (though I prefer the term AD)

I admit to have actually pulled a trigger a time or two only to have asked myself right afterwards “Hey!  Was I really absolutely, positively, unequivocally certain that thing was unloaded before I did that??

A moment’s inattention, a slight diversion, a minor change in how you regularly do things – that’s all it takes.

Once that bullet’s out the barrel, you can never put it back in!  

I always make sure the pistol is pointed in safest possible direction (generally toward the basement – but not close to my gas furnace) when loading or when pulling a trigger.  I also have some ballistic test panels I use (esp., if for some reason I find myself loading the my car).

Incidentally, I’ve never tried one, but bulletproofme.com sells otherwise unserviceable body armor panels for $25 each.  If I didn’t already have some test panels, I’d definitely get one or two of those.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Glad you are okay.

The two loudest sounds in the world:

A click when you expect a bang, and a bang when you expect a click.

That is Platinum sig material!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#46]
This is why I ALWAYS work the action three times before I do anything with a firearm.

First time will show me an empty chamber.  

Second time will show me an empty feeding device.

Third time is just because I'm paranoid.

Was purchasing a pump shotgun once during a private sale.  Guy racked the slide back, looked at the chamber to verify empty, and handed it to me.  I checked, closed the slide, racked it again, heard a funny noise in the action.  Racked it one more time and a 12ga shell popped out.

Seems there was still a round in the mag from the last time he went hunting. He had short-stroked the action enough to get the slide back, but not enough to move the shell.  When I worked the action I actually got the round to move, third time ejected the round.  That third time made the difference between feeling stupid and putting a hole in someone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Glad you are okay.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

i picked up a surplus interceptor vest groin pad cheap. i use it as a clearing pad in my shop. it may not prevent damage to the table but the round isn't going through the kevlar pad. Thay can be found cheap if you look around.

+1
That is a real good idea.  

Yesseree it's a good idea - simple - cheap investment.  Thanks TBS.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Will the dresser make Boon&Crockett?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#50]

glad to hear you're not hurt.  desks and walls are easy to replace
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top