Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 6:57:26 PM EDT
I'm going camping in a couple weeks and want to know what is the best bug spray?  Is DEET good or bad?  Anybody have things they have tried and found effective? Thanks. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Deet is good. I use deep woods off in The Canadian bush and if it works there it will work where your going. Permanon is good for your clothing if you are really going to be out in the bush as in military type setting. It contains permethron which is not to be applied to skin but is effective on clothing for up to two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The higher the DEET percentage, the better. We got a few bugs here in Florida, and Deep Woods Off has worked quite well for me. It even keeps the yellow flies and heat gnats (noseeums) off. Works for chiggers and mosquito's as well. They had an investigative report on what does and does not work. Citronela does not work. They showed workers in a citronela field getting eaten alive by mosquito's. Avon Skin so Soft also did not work very well. I have used some of the other sprays, and DEET is the only reliable thing. I spent tons of time in the woods when I was a narc eradicating marijuana. Lots of bugs, Deep Woods always worked.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Anything with DEET is usually good. Another that works for [i]me[/i] is Coppertone Bug n Sun, has diethyl-something or other in it. Doesn't go on greasy or oily and lasts a long time.

Since you are taking your dogs (per your other post) get fresh Flea/Tick collars for them or tick spray/powder and use it liberally and check them a couple times a day. Lots of ticks in the brush.

Come to think of it, if you hike in the brush, check yourself for ticks once in a while.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard that while Deep Woods Off does work well at repelling mosquitos, it actually attracts bees and yellow jackets.  Something in it they find sweet.  Any truth to this?

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
DEET for you is good. Avoid high concentrations on kids as they'll get it in their mouths, eyes, etc.
I use Muskol (100% DEET) or Ben's (99%DEET) to great effect against mosquitos and biting flies.
Don't get it on your lips though. I did a couple of times and THEY WENT NUMB! [:)]

For my kids I just use lighter strength stuff and either apply more often or increase their clothing if possible.

You should be able to find either of these brands at REI, any sporting goods store, or an Army surplus type store.
C6

P.S. If you're going to be idle for any length of time, I recommend a good quality head net. Unless, of course, you enjoy critters repeatedly bouncing off of your face.
EDIT-Permethrin (sp?) as mentioned above is excellent for keeping TICKS off of you. Apply at openings such as your cuffs to keep them away. I think this stuff is fairly toxic and is not to be used on the skin. Where I grew up in CA there were tons of ticks and if that's where your camping this would be worth a look.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I think we have Deep Woods Off somewhere around the house.  Will look for the Muskol and Ben's though.

The dogs use Frontline but was going to back it up with collars as well.  We live in a fairly tick infested area and had to pull two off the dog earlier this year when I was using Advantage, which does nothing for ticks.  Now that our neighbors tree is dropping apples in our yard the deer have been back in force so I have been more tick concious anyhow.  Actually had two pretty big bucks in the yard last night.

Thanks again for the tips.  If anyone has anything else to offer, help is still appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't get any DEET on a wooden stock, or anything painted.  I still have stains on my M1-A NM stock from army surplus 100% DEET.  

I find the spray on stuff to work better because I can put it all over easily.  The 100% stuff is good, but it is hard to spray on your clothes, or your tent.

I don't use it unless the mosquitos are really bad, or their are a lot of ticks in the area.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know if DEET really DOES attract bees and wasps?

The outdoor range that I visit has tons of bees and wasps that nest right above the ports and they are constantly buzzing and flying around.  (in addition to the HUGE amount of biting flies and mosquitos)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#9]
If it doesn't contain high % DEET...it may as well be ketchup.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Deet is great stuff, i never even see any bugs when i use it, BUT some more warnings:

do not get any on your tent or any other plastic/vinyl! it burned a hole right through my kelty expedition tent, pissing me right off. now i keep it in a zip-lock when not used, it won't eat through them for some reason.

also, if your watch has a plastic lens or ANY plastic components, Deet will disintegrate all of it! it fogged my watch lens, ruining it.

best application is to spray some into your hands, and wipe it all over your clothes/hat and only if necessary, rub some on exposed skin. then wash your hands thoroughly. - learn from my mistakes, please!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Dont take a bath while in the field if this is an option and chew match-heads for ticks. I never bathe in the field and never have to wear anything for bugs. The sulphur in the match-heads sweats out of your pores and keeps the ticks away. This is no joke.

RLTW
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#12]
fatty- thanks for the lessons, I will pay heed. [:)]

abn- I don't think were gonna be there long enough to work up a real funk. [:P]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if DEET really DOES attract bees and wasps?

The outdoor range that I visit has tons of bees and wasps that nest right above the ports and they are constantly buzzing and flying around.  (in addition to the HUGE amount of biting flies and mosquitos)

Thanks!
View Quote

Man, that would keep me away from THAT range.  I can't stand bees, wasps, hornets or any stinging bug.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top