Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/10/2006 9:57:37 AM EDT
Marines Now Carry Six-Pack Attack

(Source: US Marine Corps; issued March 9, 2006)

CAMP MERCURY, Iraq --- Arnold Schwarzenegger is going to want one. Marines with Regimental Combat Team 5, based in Camp Fallujah, test-fired the latest in the Corps’ arsenal of weapons’ improvement, the M-32 Multiple shot Grenade Launcher. It’s a six-barreled, 40 mm beast of weapon that has just about enough attitude for Marines.  

“I thought it was pretty bad the first time I saw it,” said Cpl. Jason H. Flanery, a 23-year-old mortarman from St. Louis, Mo, assigned to RCT-5’s Personnel Security Detachment.  

The M-32 MGL looks like something straight out of an action movie or a weapon ginned up by designers of futuristic video combat games. It’s a bare-bones, shoulder-fired weapon with a bulging six-barreled cylinder. There’s no bones about it. This thing’s all business when the trade is knocking out bad-guys at a distance. “You can put six rounds on target in under three seconds,” Flanery said. “I thought this thing was sick.”  

Sick might be right for the insurgent on the other end of the sight. The M-32 MGL is step up from the M-203 grenade launcher Marines have used since post-Vietnam days. It fires similar 40 mm grenades and at similar distances. It just puts more rounds on the bad guys faster.  

“The ‘203 has been around since the ‘60’s,” explained CWO4 Gene A. Bridgman, the regiment’s gunner, or weapons expert. “It keeps improving. This is a progression in the weapons system.”  

Flanery put the comparison of the two similar weapons in more simple terms. “It makes it obsolete,” he said. “It’s that much better.”  

The idea to bring M-32 was the brainchild of Marine gunners across the Corps, explained Bridgman, a 43-year-old from Garden City, Kan. During an annual symposium, they decided an improvement was needed over the M-203. One option was to bring back a rifle-grenade. The M-32, won out, however, and now each Marine battalion will field them as an experimental weapon.  

Bridgman added the M-32 isn’t a new idea altogether, though. Brazilian, Italian and South African military have carried them in the field for years. Marines, though, took it one step further.  

A fore-grip was added and a scope was mounted to the top, eliminating the old leaf sights like that of the M-203. The scope allows a Marine to follow the grenade to the target and immediately adjust and follow up with a lethal volley of indirect fire.  

“The ‘203 was on shot at time,” Bridgman said. “The ‘203 became a signal weapon. This is more of an offensive weapon. With this, you shoot, adjust and fire for effect.”  

The average Marine said it’s just about that easy to shoot. Lance Cpl. Alexandro R. Raymundo, a 20-year-old from Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., isn’t an infantryman. He’s a network administrator by trade. He shot the M-203 before during initial training, but this was his first time picking up the M-32 MGL.  

“I thought it might be like the ‘203,” Raymundo said. “But is shoots more rounds, faster. It’s really simple. I had ‘hands-on’ once. I picked it up really quickly.”  

As far as how it felt shooting it, Raymundo said the weapon was about as beefy as it looks. “I felt like there’s more recoil than the ‘203 and the trigger’s a lot heavier” he explained. “It’s heftier than the ‘203.”  

His likes about the weapon included the small scope added to the rail-mount system on top of the weapon. “The optic was nice,” he added. “It’s a lot easier to sight in.”  

Of course, there’s the part about lots of things going “boom” downrange too. “My favorite part was being able to fire out so many grenades and not have to reload between each shot.”  

Sgt. David G. Redford, a 35-year-old from Kennebunkport, Me., has more practical experience when it comes to what grunts like in the field. He’s an infantryman by trade and has logged in his own hours carrying the M-203. “I didn’t know what to think about it before we came out here, but it’s nice,” Redford said. “It’s easier to shoot. You don’t have to constantly load. If you run into something, you’re already loaded.”  

Redford predicted that most infantry Marines will welcome the addition of the six-pack attack weapon. That’s exactly the reaction Bridgman wants to see. Adding the M-32 MGL could realign the way Marines operate at the small-team level. Fire teams could become more lethal, more mobile and more independent. The idea of a dedicated grenadier might just be reborn.  

“Now you have your own indirect fire support right in the fire team,” Bridgman explained. “You have someone who can lay down (high explosive rounds) against someone in a trench. It would be used against enemy in fighting holes or behind cars, because of the indirect nature of the weapon. It’s the only weapon aside from mortars,” at the small team’s disposal.  

Still, Bridgman stressed the weapon is only experimental. Marines will be gathering data about its’ effectiveness and durability from experiences on the streets of Fallujah.  

For Flanery, though, the M-32 is already welcome. “I think it’s one of the most simple and effective weapons systems,” he said. “I just want buckshot rounds.”  

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
looks like FUN!

i want one!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#3]
So, if you are the dedicated grenadier does that mean you surrender your rifle or do you carry both?  No thanks.  We were fielding the M79 in Iraq and you cannot ask for a better weapon.  Simple to use and nearly idiot proof.  This has a good home in hollywood or maybe in the trunk of a police cruiser loaded with CS, not on the battlefield.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#4]

^
|
I was wondering the same thing though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
....It’s a six-barreled, 40 mm beast of weapon.....

six-barreled?   Looks more like one barrel to me
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, at least there is a chance to test it in combat.

I think I'd prefer the 203 combo.

Theyetter get some buckshot rounds if that's
gonna be a stand-alone weapon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

can you imagine the recoil to send 40mm round of buckshot down range!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Man the Marines have got a few toys I wish we had. Ie bunker buster and now that 40mm launcher.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
....It’s a six-barreled, 40 mm beast of weapon.....

six-barreled?   Looks more like one barrel to me

It is just one big revolver.  That fires HEDP rounds!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They did it for the M-79.

Same grenade AFAIK
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its no more than HE/HEDP rounds.

Less mass than the HE with higher velocity, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh yeah, I've got one of those..

It's pretty cool.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#14]
ok...who's arranging the group buy?

lol...an expensive toy, but shoudl be part of every arms collection. lol...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Wonder what it weighs? And would it be feasible for a grenadier to carry a carbine in addition to that thing?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
ok...who's arranging the group buy?

lol...an expensive toy, but shoudl be part of every arms collection. lol...

SEGL: Special Edition Grenade Launcher
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its no more than HE/HEDP rounds.

Less mass than the HE with higher velocity, IIRC.

Yes, I am replying to my own post.  The buckshot round is the M576 Multiple Projectile round.  It was developed for the M79 grenade launcher.  IIRC, it is a higher pressure round and therefore, cannot be used in the M203.

In any case, the round contained 27 pellets of 00 buckshot at 880 FPS, not exactly as fast as a real shotgun but plenty fast for the close range use.  The rifling of the grenade launcher spreads the pattern considerably...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#19]
isnt there pictures of soviet spec op guys with only Grenade launchers? it was a 3 or 4 man group all armed with repeating(pump?) Grenade launchers IIRC. Doesnt appeal to me, but I bet they know much more about warfare than Me.

NM there are guys with Kalishnikovs too

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=75734&page=5
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm confused....

Where's the bayonet go?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm confused....

Where's the bayonet go?

In your teeth!

Lemme see yer WARFACE!  GRRRRRRRR!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll take two please!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Enemy in the open ....

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmmmm...I don't remember the M-79 having that much recoil...or the M-203 either.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#25]
May that weapon have many a body count on it when it's done.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hmmmm...I don't remember the M-79 having that much recoil...or the M-203 either.

They don't. I remember the recoil to be similar to a .410 shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

'Cause you're dealing with low pressure rounds...

For those who haven't fired one, the 'kick' on a single-shot 40mm is about that of a 12ga semiauto...

This thing is presumably semiauto itself, ergo less kick...

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#30]
So it has a double action trigger?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Semi... This is the weapon that the 'Striker 12' & 'Street Sweeper' were developed from (if you think about it, a grenade launcher is just a big shotgun anyway)....

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Poncho: You're bleeding, man.
Blain: I ain't got time to bleed.
[Poncho shoots a bunch of grenades up to the top of the cliff]
Poncho: You got time to duck?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Looks like the South African Striker, a 20+ year old design.....

Bingo Armson OEG sight......

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/MMGLMk1.jpg

From http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl14-e.htm

The Milkor MGL six-shot 40mm grenade launcher is the world's first mass-produced multi-shot 40mm hand-held weapon. Developed by the South-African company Milkor, it entered production in 1983, and served with South-African National Defense Forces for more than twenty years. Since the 1996, an improved version of the basic design entered the production, it has been designated MGL Mk.1. The Milkor MGL is also used by more that twenty other countries worldwide. Milkor MGL offers significant firepower increase, compared to US-made M79 single shot 40mm launcher. The rapid-fire capability (six shots in less that three seconds) is essential in ambush situations and in quick-pacing urban warfare. The Milkor Mk.1 is now offered for export, and an almost exact copy of Mk1, is manufactured in Croatia by the RH Alan company as RGB-6. The most recent modifications of the Mk.1 launcher, which are manufactured and offered in USA under license by the Milkor Marketing Inc., are the Milkor Mk.1S and Milkor MK-140. These two launchers differ from original Mk.1 by having stronger, stainless steel frame (as opposed to the original aluminium frame), as well as by having four Picatinny-type accessory rails around the barrel. The difference between Mk.1S and Mk-140 is the length of the cylinder - while Mk.1S retains the original cylinder, the Mk-140 has a longer cylinder, which can accommodate a wider variety of the less-lethal 40mm ammunition, which usually has longer warheads. Both types also an fire all standard 40x46mm 'lethal' ammunition, including HE, HE-FRAG, HEDP and others.

The Milkor Mk.1 is a revolver type, hand-held grenade launcher. The six-shot cylinder is rotated by the clockwork-type spring for each shot. Spring is wound manually during the reloading. For reloading, the rear part of the frame (along with the pistol grip) is unlocked and then rotated sideways around the top strut of the frame, until the chambers in the cylinder are exposed for reloading. Once cylinder is reloaded, the rear part of the frame is rotated back and locked into position. The double-action firing mechanism has a manual safety above the pistol grip. All Mk.1 launchers are fitted with the red-dot type sight, with range scale. Modern versions, M.1S and Mk.1L, also can be fitted with other types of sighting equipment, using Picatinny rail on the top of the barrel. The top folding shoulder stock has a rubber recoil pad.

+1 I remember reading about the S.A. army using those ~1986, before aparthied ended.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You're right, the M-203 doesn't have much recoil. Heck,  I have fired it without attaching it to the rifle!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
isnt there pictures of soviet spec op guys with only Grenade launchers? it was a 3 or 4 man group all armed with repeating(pump?) Grenade launchers IIRC. Doesnt appeal to me, but I bet they know much more about warfare than Me.

They havent done so well on their last two outings that we've seen unfortunately
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#36]
It only took the US 25 years to adopt this kind of weapon?

Recall something similar back in 1981

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Why do they keep trying to re-invent the wheel?

Is there a problem with the M79?
Is there a problem with the M203?
Is there a problem with the M2 (Ma-duece)?
Was there a problem with the 1911?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#39]
make mine gold plated
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Why do they keep trying to re-invent the wheel?  Because sometimes you need tracks, wings, air cushions or Star Wars Imperial walkers.
Is there a problem with the M79?The gunner is armed only with a single shot grenade launcher, a real bitch at close proximity to a bunch of enemy grunts.
Is there a problem with the M203?  It has a limited ability for effective follow on fire.  It makes the M16 or M4 bulky and awkward.  It can't fire all the 40mm grenades that a '79 can.Is there a problem with the M2 (Ma-duece)? It's a big heave bitch.  Break it into parts and the parts are big heavy bitches.  Its expensive to build in the modern era.  It has to be headspaced and timed, and many gunners, lots of grunts and all pogues can't get it right.
Was there a problem with the 1911? Cocked and locked carry requires a competent pistol shooter and most soldiers aren't well trained with pistols.  It's ammo is not NATO standard.  The recoil is intimidating for women and Air Force personnel.

Those are all good weapons you listed, but, since you asked......
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I wonder if Christopher Walken will want one too..

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#42]

For your wallpaper needs.....
hi-res link
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Penn Arms has been making them for years, as it is a registered Destructive Device it is a simple matter of $4000 and a tax stamp and you too can have one. I’ve sold several.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#44]
6-pack = party time.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Some of the Soviets (KGB or Spetnaz, I forget which one) also used an RPG, with the distance-to-arm-delay disabled, as a door breaching weapon inside buildings.  

Just because they did it doesnt always mean it is a smart decision.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#46]
How about availability of cheap surplus battle packs of ammo from SA?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#47]
If the Marines like it, then I like it.

You think maybe they make an ankle holster for it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Semi... This is the weapon that the 'Striker 12' & 'Street Sweeper' were developed from (if you think about it, a grenade launcher is just a big shotgun anyway)....

actually, those are not semi-auto, they work like a double action revolver.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#49]
the Corps has a reputation for making do with the armys old junk. and thats true to an extent but the Corps is never afraid of thinking outside the box. another Marine solution to a complex problem.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Wonder if they are going back to the grenadier, sans rifle. Like the days of old
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top