Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2006 2:27:42 PM EDT
Last week I was in a Wal Mart and was told by the sporting goods manager that very soon they would no longer be selling firearms at that location because the hassle with the FFL had gotten to be more trouble than it was worth. They would soon fill the cases with bows. He also said that approx. half of the stores in town would no longer carry rifles.

Today I was in a different Wal Mart and the gun cabinet that was full a week ago was empty with a big yellow sign that read Due to a company directive this location will no longer carry firearms. I asked the employee at the counter about it and was told that approx. 1000 stores company wide would no longer carry firearms.

In an effort to verify this I called the Wal Mart 800 number, I was told that my question would be sent to a higher level and a member of management would call me back in a couple days.

Is this going on anywhere else in the country? If true,no matter how you feel about Wal Mart, this is a bad thing.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My best friends wife works at the home office and from what she was able to find out all of the stores will stop carrying firearms in the next two years or so. If you remember most of the stores had a big clearance on shotguns and muzzleloaders at the end of last year. She told me that the peoples republic of California were giving them a huge hassle so they are starting there. The firearms on sell were some of the ones they pulled from the California stores and redistributed. Also I heard a rumor that they will stop selling ammo except for .22 and shotgun but she could not confirm that one for me.

Omni
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
no skin off my hide. I haven't darkend that joints door willingly in over 3 years. And I've never bought anything firearms related from them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish Walmart never sold guns or ammo, we'd still have the 4 mom & pop gun shops in the area who actually knew what the hell .45 acp means. But no, they closed down soon after the Super-Walmart moved in because they could not compete with Walmart's prices.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Im sorry that Walmart is going to stop selling guns in some stores. Guess all you WalMart whiners will be happy to pay RETAIL prices on guns now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope they still sell them. I like how I can go buy milk and a 870 within 30 feet of each other. If they do stop selling them I lost my reason for going there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wish Walmart never sold guns or ammo, we'd still have the 4 mom & pop gun shops in the area who actually knew what the hell .45 acp means. But no, they closed down soon after the Super-Walmart moved in because they could not compete with Walmart's prices.

I seriously doub WalMart drove them out.

We have about 4 mom and pop tye gunshops in our area and, there are just as many WalMart supercenters in that same area.  

Last time I checked WalMart's didn't carry anything but some shotguns, and, a few flavors
of hunting type rifles.

If that drives a gunshop out, maybe they needed driving
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#8]
My walmart just said they are no longer getting in the Winchester 40 round 223 ammo.  $7.73  It comes up "DELETED" when they tried to order some.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
.... If they do stop selling them I lost my reason for going there.

+1

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I just brought some WWB 9mm at one tonight, and the price was $11.98, not $11.34.  It was my first time in this one, but I assumed prices were the same everywhere.

I never brought a gun at one, but would be dissapointed to see this end.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Im sorry that Walmart is going to stop selling guns in some stores. Guess all you WalMart whiners will be happy to pay RETAIL prices on guns now.

I don't think most people here got their AR-15s at Wal Mart.

And I don't see the price of Mossbergs and .22s skyrocketting because Wal Mart stopped selling them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
If they stop selling ammo, then I will not bother to shop there anymore.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The antis were very pleased to get Kmart to stop selling guns, just imagine the grin on their face if Wal Mart stops.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Start sending e mails

Walmart does liten to them
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Start sending e mails

Walmart does liten to them

yep, or 1-800-WAL-MART
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a big deal to me, some one will pick up the slack.  Like someone said, it's not like they carried ARs, AKs, or FALs or handguns, for that matter.

Clark Foam used to make 80% of the foam for surfboard blanks and said the same thing, "tired of the hassle", so now about a dozen or so will take it's place.  Hey, they were the Wal-mart of Foam, they even threatened to cut off some board makers that were trying out other foam.

ETA I read this as they are unable to find enough personnel that can deal with the paperwork accurately and  in a timely fashion and don't want to put gun inventories at risk like in CA where they had to stop selling guns and re-train their entire firearms selling department.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#17]
 This is happening to a few major retailers right now. Its not worth carrying firearms in certain stores when that space could be used to sell something else. Its simple economics, if its more of a burden to sell something that you are getting out then its time to re-evaluate. I'd bet that most of the hunting departments that are closing are not even selling that many guns in the first place.  
 Think about all the hassle it is to sell firearms, then think about the people that Walmart hires to work in the sporting goods department. Useually the people aren't gun types and they have to be trained on 4473's and all the other paperwork that comes along with it. Think about those that have to audit all that paperwork to stay compliant. Then think of the company policies on selling guns and ammo. All that really adds up in manpower/dollar costs, especially when there is not any margin on guns/ammo in the first place.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 This is happening to a few major retailers right now. Its not worth carrying firearms in certain stores when that space could be used to sell something else. Its simple economics, if its more of a burden to sell something that you are getting out then its time to re-evaluate. I'd bet that most of the hunting departments that are closing are not even selling that many guns in the first place.  
 Think about all the hassle it is to sell firearms, then think about the people that Walmart hires to work in the sporting goods department. Useually the people aren't gun types and they have to be trained on 4473's and all the other paperwork that comes along with it. Think about those that have to audit all that paperwork to stay compliant. Then think of the company policies on selling guns and ammo. All that really adds up in manpower/dollar costs, especially when there is not any margin on guns/ammo in the first place.

It's called customer service.  I do not even visit the wal marts by me now, because they do not carry firearms or ammunition.  A wal mart without ammo is a waste of my time.  I'll get my groceries elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#19]
  Thats the thing, some people wont shop there because they dont have guns anymore. But on a whole, the average comsumer is not going to stop shoping there. The core of their market probabaly doesnt even pay attention to firearms. Big companies will not cater to smaller interests, they want to target the masses.
 I wouldnt be suprised that some of their top gun stores started getting a little better selection though, lean out the dead weight and pump up the strong stores.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got 3 guns from wal-mart.
Remington 870
Weatherby Vanguard
Mossberg 500

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats wally world for ya....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I was told that here in Jacksonvlle that Wally World is going to reduce the number of stores that carry guns down to two.

I would guess that it is not worth the time that is takes to put out and put up that many guns.  About the only deals that they have are the 10/22's , the rem 700's and some shotguns.  The rest you are better off to chase else where.

One thing that I will say about wally world is that they do know their markets - you shold see some of the freezers full of bait that they have for the fishing (salt water).

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#23]
They have also started to raise prices on WWB .223....................9.98/box in some places like Ohio.
Have not confirmed this in MN yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Good grief.  SSDD.

The mom and pops never had anything you were looking for and when they did it was outrageously priced.  Walmart creates a hell of a lot more jobs than those 4 mom and pops.  Now, that's just talking about hardware.  I have never seen a gunstore put out of business by Walmart.

I have never bought anything firearms related at Walmart, not even ammo.  I have other sources for that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
no skin off my hide. I haven't darkend that joints door willingly in over 3 years. And I've never bought anything firearms related from them.

I was just in one 2 days ago.  I will probably go back this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#27]
DUPE

Two weeks ago I posted that 20% percent of Walmart stores sold 80% of their fire arms so they decided to cut the stores that did little biz....................
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Back when Sam Walton was alive and running the company, Wal-Mart was pro RTKBA and sold stuff like handguns and ARs.

CRC
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#29]
the last time in was in mine the selection was thin, but no overt indication that they were getting out of the gun business.

the Sports Authority near me just quit selling guns in the past month though
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yup, we are shutting down the hunting departments of about 60 doors across the country. Some stores just were not selling enough to keep the product there.
What store was it that you saw them stop selling guns at? I haven't seen any of the stores out there, but I know the Tallahassee store does a good gun business. Curious what that ones like
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#31]
The Walmart here is doing the same.
All the sporting goods employee's and manager shop our store. If they can't get it they check with us. They are also nice enough to send customers are way if they can't help them.
Hopefully they don't lose any jobs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, we are shutting down the hunting departments of about 60 doors across the country. Some stores just were not selling enough to keep the product there.
What store was it that you saw them stop selling guns at? I haven't seen any of the stores out there, but I know the Tallahassee store does a good gun business. Curious what that ones like

The one in the Dolphin Mall in Doral, just outside of Miami
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ones in Vegas are in the process I think, I know the one in Henderson is for sure. I got a hell of a deal on a couple Browning A-Bolts.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That just means Bubba will have to go to an actual gunshop or sporting goods store to purchase his next hunting rifle/shotgun. This move may be good for smaller FFL's in the long run, they will get more business.

I've never bought a gun at Walmart and have never paid retail for a firearm from a regular gunshop or sporting goods store ever, 90% of the stuff I have you couldn't buy from Walmart anyway so they had zero impact on prices then and now. Out of the 30 firearms I have now I don't have anything that Walmart has sold in the last 15 years except a 10/22 and a CD 20 ga and I didn't buy those from them either.

Now if they quit selling ammo that is going to have an impact. There are a few towns around here where Walmart is the only place to buy ammo and not get raped in the process. Hell I can think of two towns off the top of my head where Walmart is the ONLY place to buy ammo in town. That is a big negative.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ones in Vegas are in the process I think, I know the one in Henderson is for sure. I got a hell of a deal on a couple Browning A-Bolts.

Ya, they are too. Which A-Bolts did you get? The Stainless Stalkers? I had tried to get them to transfer some guns to me awhile ago and they told me that they sold too many to give up. Funny since they dont sell enough to keep the hunting department going!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Now if they quit selling ammo that is going to have an impact. There are a few towns around here where Walmart is the only place to buy ammo and not get raped in the process. Hell I can think of two towns off the top of my head where Walmart is the ONLY place to buy ammo in town. That is a big negative.  

Georgia Arms Ammo
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#37]
They're probably scrambling to remove all their guns and ammo before Michare Moore marches into their corporate headquarters with a crippled kid and a video camera demanding that they stop selling evil stuff.

(of course, the crippled kid was crippled BECAUSE Wal-Mart sells CHEAP ammo.)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I buy my majority of plinking ammo from them, like handgun ammo.

They just dont want what happen to them like what happened in K-Mart............
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't shop for firearms at China Wal Mart.

They don't sell anything worth stopping for anyway.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#40]
If you shop at Wal-Mart you are helping the Chinese continue to build their stockple of US Dollars. Wal-Mart used to be an american institution. They sell mostly chinese made products now. I don't buy Levis because they contribute to the Anti-Gunners. I don't shop at wally world because they are destroying the small mom and pop stores all over the US. Wal-Mart employees gave 5 Million dollars to the hurricane relief fund. The Walton family gave 6 thousand dollars. The people who work at Wal-Mart are mostly patriotic red blooded americans. The Walton family is just another greedy empire that I can not wait to see crumble! Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave---repeatadly.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I don't shop for firearms at China Wal Mart.

They don't sell anything worth stopping for anyway.

Hello???!?!?!? Marlin Rifles????
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Pfffft... the only way I might shop at Wal-Mart is if the greeter gave me a complementary
knob-polishing, hand stroke or salad tossing at the door.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Georgia Arms Ammo

They come to all the North Florida shows, I buy from them on a regular basis
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Pfffft... the only way I might shop at Wal-Mart is if the greeter gave me a complementary

You want him to do that.................ewwww...

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya, they are too. Which A-Bolts did you get? The Stainless Stalkers? I had tried to get them to transfer some guns to me awhile ago and they told me that they sold too many to give up. Funny since they dont sell enough to keep the hunting department going!

They had one stainless stalker for $699, I got a 30-06 and a 270 synthetic a-bolt. They were marked clearance at $309, all they had were the display models so I got him to knock another 10% off.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.mockingword.com/feature-articles/images/walmart_greeter.jpg

I thought he meant this guy

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.mockingword.com/feature-articles/images/walmart_greeter.jpg

I thought he meant this guy

i2.tinypic.com/r1y7g3.jpg

In true arfcom fashion he'll take both
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#49]
3 walmarts here have been out of guns for months now. i mentioned in another walmart trashing thread.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Just email Bass Pro Shops and tell them why they should open an outlet near you.   From my experiences, if you are trying to buy 1000 rounds of ammo and an employee sees you, they will offer you to go get you a cart :D  The ammo is certainly not behind some counter either.

I was shocked how professional and courteous (even in Maryland) their gun sales staff are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top