Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:43:56 PM EDT
Whenever I read stories about people busted for trying to hire hit men, they always seem to have been busted by an undercover cop posing as the hit man.  It was even in that movie The Whole Nine Yards. What's the deal?

What is the story?  Are the cops tipped off by people who the wannabe client talked to, and then they set up a sting?  Or are there cops out there posing as hitmen, trolling and getting referrals to these kinds of people?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I always check the Yellow Pages under "hits".
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Whenever I read stories about people busted for trying to hire hit men, they always seem to have been busted by an undercover cop posing as the hit man.  It was even in that movie The Whole Nine Yards. What's the deal?

What is the story?  Are the cops tipped off by people who the wannabe client talked to, and then they set up a sting?  Or are there cops out there posing as hitmen, trolling and getting referrals to these kinds of people?

I only personally know of one case where it happened, and it was a helluva deal. Apparently some guy wanted his brother off'd, so he contacted one of those ads in some hardcore gun/survival magazine. Anyways, the hitman who was contacted played along until he realized the guy was serious about having his brother whacked. So, he notified the police about it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm a DIY type of guy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The people doing the hiring always seem to be idiots who will ask almost anyone if they know a person who will do the job.

Then those people end up calling the police and the cops end up sending in a fake hitman who will conduct the sting.

My favorite was the black woman who hired a cop to whack her husband (I think he was some kind of pastor, IIRC).

They even faked his death complete with ketchup for blood and polaroids of the body. They take the wife out to the site and she starts bawling. They take her back to the station and she's bawling. Then they tell her she's under arrest and her husband is still alive and she goes nuts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]
They always said "if you want it done right, do it yourself" and the idiots who get caught like that are the ones asking around for the number of some guy who will do it.  They have no respect for the 3 S rules.

Woody
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I only personally know of one case where it happened, and it was a helluva deal. Apparently some guy wanted his brother off'd, so he contacted one of those ads in some hardcore gun/survival magazine. Anyways, the hitman who was contacted played along until he realized the guy was serious about having his brother whacked. So, he notified the police about it.

What kind of hitman is that!?!?  That's no hitman, that's a ratman, or I'll-drop-a-dime-on-ya-man.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The people doing the hiring always seem to be idiots who will ask almost anyone if they know a person who will do the job.

Then those people end up calling the police and the cops end up sending in a fake hitman who will conduct the sting.

My favorite was the black woman who hired a cop to whack her husband (I think he was some kind of pastor, IIRC).

They even faked his death complete with ketchup for blood and polaroids of the body. They take the wife out to the site and she starts bawling. They take her back to the station and she's bawling. Then they tell her she's under arrest and her husband is still alive and she goes nuts.

now THAT should have been on 'Candid Camera'!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
You would be amazed at the type of people who go looking around at strip clubs,bars.etc. looking for a hitman. Too much tv if you ask me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

now THAT should have been on 'Candid Camera'!

It was...I've seen it on a few shows-  I think 'Maximum Exposure' was one of them.

She was giving a great performance with the tears and yelling...then the cops drop the bomb on her.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I saw that one too.  She was totally owned.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:33:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw that one too.  She was totally owned.

OMG, what show was this??
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Believe it or not, idiots have even called up gunstores looking for hitmen. The store employees have cooperated with the caller, then called the police. The police buy in and contact the idiot through the gunstore again, and arrange a meet.

Then the cops tape the meeting and bust the idiot presenting them with incontravertible evidence that they were trying to arrange a murder for hire.

Thank God most criminals are dumb.

Same thing happened to a DJ I knew about one time, whose license plate was HTMAN, referring to his playing top 40 hits. Some idiot saw the plate and thought it meant killer for hire. The DJ (who was up on billboards all over the place) played along, called the cops, and the idiot who wanted to hire him ended up going to prison.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]
FWIW, When you think about it, I'm surprised there are not a wehole hell of a lot more of these busts.

Look at divorce settlements. Hundreds of thousands. Millions even.

Look at the price of having the Ex whacked, probably not a whole lot compared to the settlement.

I'm mildly surprised there isn't a lot more of this.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Believe it or not, idiots have even called up gunstores looking for hitmen. The store employees have cooperated with the caller, then called the police. The police buy in and contact the idiot through the gunstore again, and arrange a meet.

Then the cops tape the meeting and bust the idiot presenting them with incontravertible evidence that they were trying to arrange a murder for hire.

Same thing happened to a DJ I knew about one time, whose license plate was HTMAN, referring to his playing top 40 hits. Some idiot saw the plate and thought it meant killer for hire. The DJ (who was up on billboards all over the place) played along, called the cops, and the idiot who wanted to hire him ended up going to prison.

When somebody asks me what I do, I say 'Merchant Seaman'. Over the years I've had a couple people ask me if I know anybody........

The look I give them is withering.

They've seen too many 30s and 40s movies on TMC or something.

OTOH, sometimes I DO look like a Damon Runyon character, though.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Pissing me off!  You would not believe the amount of work I have to do nowadays to convince potential clients that I am not a cop.  Constantly asking over and over.  Them hiring people to check me out.  I have had to make my own contract for a couple people diving to far into my personal affairs for a potential client.  Which I then of course charge to the potential client.  They get the picture after that.

It is forcing me to inflate my prices.  Making everyone unhappy.
I'd rather charge less, and have a smoother contract.

ETA
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Uusally they start by making post on the internet like yours.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Pissing me off!  You would not believe the amount of work I have to do nowadays to convince potential clients that I am not a cop.  Constantly asking over and over.  Them hiring people to check me out.  I have had to make my own contract for a couple people diving to far into my personal affairs for a potential client.  Which I then of course charge to the potential client.  They get the picture after that.

Ummmm, okay?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

ETA

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm with you mjohn3006.
This isn't the same buisness it was 20 years ago.
Back then, buisness was booming, what with crack hitting the streets.
Turf wars aplenty, and they'd often call in for outside help.
Lots of work for a young cleaner to make his mark.
Things have settled down, most of the good fellas who would pay good money for a pro are in jail, or dead.
Only calls I get now are from suburbanites - "how much do you charge to whack my ex?"
Not exactly a challenge.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:07:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I saw a story on TV about this exact thing happening. A lady was flipping through the yellow pages looking for a hitman. She saw an ad for "Guns For Hire". She called them and said she wanted her husband to be killed and asked how much. The guy called the cops and they ended up nabbing her for solicitation of murder for hire or something like that.

"Guns For Hire" is apparently a place that rents firearms to be used in the making of movies, based somewhere in Cali IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you mjohn3006.
Things have settled down, most of the good fellas who would pay good money for a pro are in jail, or dead.
Only calls I get now are from suburbanites - "how much do you charge to whack my ex?"
Not exactly a challenge.

Exactly!  It's almost routine now.  The only good thing about the "whack my ex" jobs is profiling the ex and if viable, informing the ex and then getting a larger contract to reverse the original.

When I started this career I vowed I would never do that, as I view it as unprofessional.  But in these times, and with the lack of professionalism of the clients, the old code is fading.

It’s almost time to retire I guess.  I will miss the hunt.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Too many amatures in the business now have driven prices down. It was time to move on to a new profession.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When somebody asks me what I do, I say 'Merchant Seaman'. Over the years I've had a couple people ask me if I know anybody........

The look I give them is withering.

They've seen too many 30s and 40s movies on TMC or something.

OTOH, sometimes I DO look like a Damon Runyon character, though.

so............do you know anybody or not?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Bush sent all the hitmen jobs overseas, offshored to India
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#25]

A womenz I used to work with wanted me to kill her husband for $10,000, because she knew I had been in the Army.  I laughed and said hell no.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#26]
A long time ago, some waitress at IHOP offered me sex to go "rough up" her ex and put him in jail overnight.  No particular reason, she was just pissed at him that day.

Unfortunately,  she declined to pre-pay.

DA declined to prosecute.    
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A womenz I used to work with wanted me to kill her husband for $10,000, because she knew I had been in the Army.  I laughed and said hell no.  

I would have taken her money, what's she gonna do?  Tell the cops she payed you to whack her husband and you never followed through?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I saw that one. Classic. Gotta feel bad for the husband though, with him finding out his wife is an evil bitch who wants him killed. Oh well, she's off to prison (probably get out on good behavior in a couple years) and he's pretty much guaranteed to win the divorce case.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

They are remarkably sloppy.  I was in a situation where an Indian beat me to a mark.  Not because he was better, but because he rushed and was so sloppy that when I got there I had to clean up after him a bit to avoid being caught at the scene myself.

Pissed me off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I just check ARFCOM for the "I'd hit it" ads.
Like this:

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It's all very funny until you find out your wife is the one they busted.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I always go with out of town shooters
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

She didn't even offer you sex?!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are remarkably sloppy.  I was in a situation where an Indian beat me to a mark.  Not because he was better, but because he rushed and was so sloppy that when I got there I had to clean up after him a bit to avoid being caught at the scene myself.

Pissed me off.

double bookings will be the death of this business
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pissed me off.

double bookings will be the death of this business

It was an open contract and I was bored
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder if the punishment if less for those who are caught looking for a hitman who are so obviously incompetent that they would never be able to find a true hitman to carry out the job?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have taken her money, what's she gonna do?  Tell the cops she payed you to whack her husband and you never followed through?

Probably, people like that are fucking stupid. Haven't you heard the stories about people turning in other people for not paying for their drugs or for stealing their drugs?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably, people like that are fucking stupid. Haven't you heard the stories about people turning in other people for not paying for their drugs or for stealing their drugs?

Or even better, goign to the police because the crack they bought wasn't real crack.

okay there palbert
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Just schedule your ex an appointment with a physician.  Aren't they supposed to be more dangerous than firearms?  At least on ARFCOM they are.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you mjohn3006.
Not exactly a challenge.

Exactly!  It's almost routine now.  The only good thing about the "whack my ex" jobs is profiling the ex and if viable, informing the ex and then getting a larger contract to reverse the original.

When I started this career I vowed I would never do that, as I view it as unprofessional.  But in these times, and with the lack of professionalism of the clients, the old code is fading.

It’s almost time to retire I guess.  I will miss the hunt.

Yea, that is really the only way to make any kind of a living cleaning.
It is too bad the goodfellas are on the way out - they were steady work.
The homies are not professional, and often try to renege on payment, and then you have to wax them, and then it is harder to get a job on that turf because the people who hired you are dead.
People have seen too many movies nowadays, and think we just sit around waiting for a call.
Maybe the Russian mob is hiring...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt she had a dime to her name, after spending it all on drugs.   As for trading sex for murder, she was a skank and I wouldn't be interested even if it was on the house.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#42]
at this entire thread
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This will be on court TV tonight on a show called "Anatomy of a Crime". It already ran tonight at 8pm EST. It will be repeated at midnight EST.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top