Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2001 8:31:35 AM EDT
 What's it all about anyways?  I've seen it
here & at GlockTalk alot, but until now I've
never asked.  Guess I got tired of being
ignorant about this one today.  Any takers?

-kid
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't recall all the details, but the phrase, "Molon Labe" has it's roots in ancient Greek? Spartan? history.  As I recall, one city or force was being attacked? sieged? by another, and when surrender was demanded ("Give up your arms!"), the reply sent by the leader of the besieged was, "Molon Labe", roughly translated as, "Come and get them!".  I think they all died fighting, or something like that.  If someone has the story, please post it - it's a good one.  Please correct me on all the points I missed!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

"Come and get them"

Should have looked before I asked.  I like it!

[rocket]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Read Gates of Fire. About how 300 Spartans held off an army of 1 million. When asked to give up their weapons, the leader responded, "come and get them". They supposedly killed about 30,000 men.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Go TFL and do a search in General Discussion using the words Molon Labe and the user name Tamara.
TFL is where it really got started on 'net and she gave the best history of the term.

Edited because.....well, just 'cause damn it, so bite me.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Bumper stickers please?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top