Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2001 11:57:48 PM EDT
OK, now that I know what I want, a Bushy 16" I have a coupla choices.

1. M4 w/ Mini Y comp..pros and cons anyone?

2. A2 w/ AK Brake..(I can always change the stock)

3. Plain old Shorty Carbine, and have the barrel cut and have a better Comp. attached?

Whats the difference between the Mini Y comp and the AK brake?  Are these pinned or welded?
Can they be changed by a gunsmith if welded?

Does anyone make an really effective comp?  I mean really superior to all others?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:44:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The Mini-Y comp works well but like The_Beer_Slayer said it's loud.  I ended up trading for a 16" Bushy upper with no brake.  Can't comment on the AK brake.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest option #3 and a Kurts Kustom, Wilson, or other A2 look-alike brake. I am very fond of the press-fit style on my LEGP.

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Go for the AK brake, love mine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have shot the M-4 post ban with the mini-Y compensator, and I can't imagine another design performing better.  I also can't imagine one being any LOUDER than that, but for rapid fire it is definately tops.

The AK brake isn't quite as loud, and doesn't perform nearly as well IMHO.  I can't comment on the wilson or any others.  HTH

Saleen
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have never been bothered by .223 recoil. Plus I use mine in hunting situations, so I prefer no brake.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have seen the Y-Comp, and it looks cheesy to me. What's with that protruding pin? I have a factory shorty AK, and although I prefer a pre-ban A2 flash, the AK brake is a close second.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Have both, both work well, but I'd op for the mini because the "AK" is just to commie
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Those comps are louder than hell.  If you can manage without one you will be better off.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the "mini y" comp and i really like it.  I was looking for another AR because my DPMS 20" is a great rifle but i wanted a weapon.  We, fellow club members, went to a show to find a weapon that matched what i was looking for.  All the AR prices were unreal, until we found a dealer that was selling the Bushmaster A1 uppers with the mini y comps [both 16s and 20s] at a fair price.  I bought the 16" with the idea that i could/would remove it later.  Is it loud? "YES"  Will i remove it? "NO"  This is a weapon that stays on target and i like that.  I've shot the Armalite, Bushmaster [both mini and ak], and LEGP models, and i like the Bushmaster.  The LEGP is a very close second and will admit it looks better but i do not shoot for "looks cool".  

Humor...  i was at the range during the week when nobody was there, i had it all to myself and i was enjoying the solitude.  I spent the morning shooting my Savage Mark II LV 22 with and "old" no longer in production 12x Weaver target scope.  I was pleasantly punching paper w/o ears, very theraputical and relaxing.  Well...  there was my AR getting lonely, so i picked her up, slipped her a mag, and the bells went off =  i forgot to put my ears on and that mini y rang my chimes.  Moral of the story, i like the mini BUT i remember my install my ears.

the "short" out
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I vote #1.
Mini Y comp works absolutely fantastic.
M4 barrel is LIGHT!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top