Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2001 2:29:58 PM EDT
So you think you have it bad..look who represents me [v]
[center][b][size=6]Sen. Torricelli 'Tried to Have Me Killed'[/b][/size=6][/center]

NewsMax.com Wires

Friday, Aug. 10, 2001
WASHINGTON - A potential witness in the campaign finance investigation of Sen. Robert Torricelli said he fears for his life and that while he lavished the New Jersey Democrat with gifts, he got nothing in return, the Newark Star-Ledger reported Thursday.
David Chang said he gave Torricelli money, suits and watches with hopes of getting inside help making foreign trade deals, but Torricelli never followed through, he told the newspaper.

"He promised many things, but none happened," Chang said in a sometimes rambling interview. "It was all lip service. Small people like me are the victims," he said outside his $1 million Cresskill home.

Chang lives in fear for his life and has been staying with friends in Florida, he told the Star-Ledger. He thinks Torricelli made plans to kill him, but he would not go into details.

"I tried to help him out. ... He tried to have me killed. I feel unsafe," Chang said. Torricelli has angrily denied any wrongdoing. His attorney, Ted Wells, suggested Chang had a history of lying. He said Chang's new public statements give credence to the belief that Chang is unstable.

"David Chang's comments appear delusional," said Wells. "He is embellishing his prior statements to now include multiple Rolex watches and plots to kill him. These statements should be evaluated by psychiatrists, not lawyers."

Chang said he believes Torricelli's lawyers are concocting wild rumors about him to undermine his credibility. He denied information contained in FBI reports that said he claimed to have a long-term business relationship with former President George Bush and that former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno assured him the investigation into his affairs would go nowhere.

Chang said he believes he is in the federal witness protection program. Authorities denied that, saying Chang was told he could seek assistance from law enforcement if he felt threatened.

In Wednesday's interview, Chang admitted he gave Torricelli gifts in hopes of getting the senator's help in business deals. But Chang turned on the senator last year. He is looking for leniency after pleading guilty to obstruction of justice and to making $53,700 in illegal donations to Torricelli's 1996 Senate campaign and has been cooperating with federal prosecutors in the criminal probe.

He told prosecutors Torricelli accepted thousands of dollars in cash and expensive gifts in return for providing official intervention in Chang's business deals in North and South Korea. He said Torricelli knew about the illegal donations.

Torricelli's home has been searched and his bank records seized as authorities have tried to corroborate Chang's claims with other witnesses and documentation.

Chang is a double-edged sword for prosecutors in the four-year probe. He could face credibility problems given the public statements made by federal authorities when they were seeking to prosecute him more than a year ago.

[center][b]PAGE 1[/b][/center]

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
           [center][b]PAGE 2[/b][/center]"David Chang simply cannot be trusted on his word," the prosecutors told a federal judge in New Jersey in April 2000, when he was under indictment and the government was seeking to revoke his bail. Prosecutors also have said in court papers that he used at least two passports, three birth dates and three Social Security numbers and was married to two women at the same time.

Marvin Smilon, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney in Manhattan, declined to comment on Chang's statements or the status of the probe. Chang's attorney, Bradley Simon, said he could not comment about his client's interview.

Chang's assertions that Torricelli never followed through with the help Chang wanted could prove beneficial to the senator's defense. But criminal lawyers said that it can be a crime for a public official to demand or accept a payment for a promise of official favor even if that commitment is not kept.

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
YOU TOO!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring it on Torricelli!
No, he doesn't represent you. No more than Harry(Monica wasn't the only one under Bill's desk) Reid represents me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
This guy is a worthless POS. Or should I say a typical Democrat!! I personally can't wait to see him in jail.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
What's this country coming to when you can't bribe a public official? Sounds like they need to bring Clinton back!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bring it on Torricelli!
No, he doesn't represent you. No more than Harry(Monica wasn't the only one under Bill's desk) Reid represents me.
View Quote

I can't wait for that piece of shit to retire.

[):)]
NSF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top