Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2005 1:41:07 PM EDT
I saw this posted this morning by a very observant person on another board.  I looked around here but didn't find any reference to this ATF letter dated 11/22.  I could be wrong but I searched.

......................ATF recognizes that certain firearm barrels may be used to assemble either an importable or a nonimportable firearm. With this fact in mind, ATF believes that such “dual use” barrels would
be eligible for importation into the United States under section 925(d)(3) for commercial
purposes, provided prospective importers of such barrels make representations indicating that
neither the importer nor subsequent purchasers of the barrels will use the barrels to assemble
nonimportable firearms.
Importers of such barrels must provide sufficient information, e.g.,
specific model designation(s) of the firearm(s) that the barrels will be used to assemble, in the
“Specific Purpose of Importation” section of the ATF Form 6 that would enable ATF personnel
to establish that the barrels sought for importation are being imported for the assembly into
importable firearms. If the dual use barrels are being imported for resale to third parties, the
importer must state in the “Specific Purpose of Importation” section of the ATF Form 6 that
purchasers have been or will be advised that the barrels may only be used for assembly into
certain importable models and must list the specific models for which the barrels will be sold.

Inclusion of a model not known to be sporting may require the submission of a sample for
evaluation to determine if importation of the barrels will be approved.

As I read it, the ATF has basically back peddled on their plans to refuse all form 6's that included intact barrels that COULD be used to build an "Assault Weapon".  They will now just require some additional labeling to specify the rules on completing weapons that are "Non-importable" under 922r.  In other words, weapons that have no more than 10 imported parts.  Well, duh!

Looks like the firearms lobby is still very strong indeed.  It also looks like some people and companies are going to take a bath on kits that they have hoarded over the last several months.  Can you say "Christmas Sale!!?"

Link to the ATF letter
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like good news to me. Hopefully I can build a nice krink before too long.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
bump. Awesome. I might yet get a cheap ass ak when i move. Now if we can only kill 922r...
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
good as it seems the major source for chrome lined FN FAL barrels is Imbel.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Great news for those that build, awesome find Rick!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
tagged for further details
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if Colt had anything to do with this...  I had thought that one of the reasons they bought Diemaco was that they wanted to use Diemaco's Colt Canada's hammer forged barrels.  It's better for everyone though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Great news.  tag.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Great news for those that build, awesome find Rick!

Thanks but like I said, an online bud from another board found it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
ARs, Krinks, and FALs are nonimportable. I don't think this changes anything significantly. If the barrel is for a importable gun then the barrel can come in. Until somebody makes a importable gun with a FAL or AK barrel I don't think we're going to see new barrels.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ARs, Krinks, and FALs are nonimportable. I don't think this changes anything significantly. If the barrel is for a importable gun then the barrel can come in. Until somebody makes a importable gun with a FAL or AK barrel I don't think we're going to see new barrels.

We are talking about kits and parts, not necessarily complete firearms.  Besides, as long as a weapon has 10 or less imported parts or is in AW config (as per CFR), it is not subject to 922r anyway.  An example of this is the WASR AK's.

As I read this, the ATF WILL continue to approve form 6's past the end of the year provided the importers add a couple of more lines of text in the application.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry but I don't think so.

It says nothing about repair and replacement on existing firearms and if you do that, bam in jail

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Think "Saiga".
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Mr ATF guy these are replacement barrels for all the lo cap WASR's im selling.

FREE
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It says nothing about repair and replacement on existing firearms and if you do that, bam in jail

Who said anything about "repair and replacement"?

The letter says that as long as the parts are not used to build guns that are otherwise unimportable, they will approve the applications.  In other words, looks like buisness as usual.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the WASR-10 an importable rifle? uses the same barrel as a standard AK.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The letter says that as long as the parts are not used to build guns that are otherwise unimportable, they will approve the applications.  In other words, looks like buisness as usual.

That is what I get from it too. Basically all you will have to put under "models this barrel will be used for" is "Any AK/FAL/AR that has fewer than 10 imported parts(i.e. 922(r) legal).".
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't read it that way and it only applies to barrels they think are dual use.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep its importable.

They import them and convert them to hi cap.

FREE

Quoted:
Is the WASR-10 an importable rifle? uses the same barrel as a standard AK.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Huh?

This letter says nothing about repair and replacement, it acknowledges that it is possible to build 922r compliant firearms, and that ATF will allow the barrels for them to be imported if the importers add a couple lines to the Form 6.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#21]
ttttaaaagggg
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So?
As long as we can get the complete parts kits, who cares?
Build up your rifles as long as you can get parts kits and 80% recievers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#23]
The orginal reason for allowing the import of these barrels was for repair and replacement ONLY.

It doesn't seem to me like that would still be allowed (unless the gun is sporting)
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Woo Hoo! Good news.

For some reason I always thought this was not going to happen. Glad to hear I was right.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#27]
So I won't be getting rich on all those extra 1919 barrels I bought after all.

BTW - Thanks Rick.  I hope the LV crew is happy and healthy for the holidays.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I picked up two Romanian kits and two Global recvs
a couple of months ago anticipating the ban. Paid $100 for
each kit and don't regret it a bit. I hope they drop to $50
now, so I can buy more.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag.. There was the matter of a bet...
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It doesn't seem to me like that would still be allowed (unless the gun is sporting)

I think I see where you are coming from.  

Remember, as long as a rifle or shotgun does not contain more than 10 imported parts (ie. a homebuilt AK with X number of non-imported parts) or not by CFR definition an "assault rifle" (ie. a lo-cap WASR or a fixed mag SKS) then it is already by definition "Sporting".
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Once again, the ATF fails to make any sense...

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
BTW - Thanks Rick.  I hope the LV crew is happy and healthy for the holidays.

We are Kid, thanks for asking.  When are you going to come out and shoot with us again??
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I see where you are coming from.  

Remember, as long as a rifle or shotgun does not contain more than 10 imported parts (ie. a homebuilt AK with X number of non-imported parts) or not by CFR definition an "assault rifle" (ie. a lo-cap WASR or a fixed mag SKS) then it is already by definition "Sporting".

I am talking about for pre 1998 and 1989 gun parts- like for a Steyr AUG that was considered sporting then not. Or a Steyr USR. Or an FN FNC.

I realize AK and SKS clones are still hitting the US market.

If I pay 3000 for a gun, I would not mind having a spare barrel on hand.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#34]
tag o ramma lamma ding dong
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

This letter says nothing about repair and replacement, it acknowledges that it is possible to build 922r compliant firearms, and that ATF will allow the barrels for them to be imported if the importers add a couple lines to the Form 6.

That is what it looks like to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#36]
It's not repaired, it's reBUILT with a different barrel.  US parts are key in this.

--Fargo007
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I need another AMD-65 kit. soooo good.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Great news for those that build everyone, awesome find Rick!

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
[ I am talking about for pre 1998 and 1989 gun parts- like for a Steyr AUG that was considered sporting then not. Or a Steyr USR. Or an FN FNC.

This is exactly why I think this letter is so significant.  First, I have never seen an ATF open letter that sounds so accomidating and detailed.  I would not be suprised that it was written because one of the law suits looked like it was going to go somewhere OR someone inside got their ass kicked for political reasons.  Either way, it appears to be a "How To" manual for importers to basically import anything.

Second, you mentioned guns such as the FNC, AUG etc.  As I read it, if an importer/manufacturer can now demonstrate to the ATF that they can make a non-imported version of said weapons (that is with no more than 10 imported parts) then it looks like they can import kits/parts.  Maybe now we will see these guns as long as the parts are available.  A FNC is basically an AK.  I don't know how many countable parts it has but it shouldn't be too hard for some company to whip up some gas pistons, fcg's and pistol grips ala the AK guys.

Again, this letter is just too damned detailed.  It sounds to me like a big change in ATF policy.  Time will tell of course.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#40]
major taggage
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Tagarooooooooooo!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#42]
tuh-tuh-tuh-tag!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag.

Guess I'll spend that $400 check I got today on a 1903A3 from the CMP instead of 4 Romy kits.  At least i know for sure the A3's will be gone real soon for sure...

Thanks to whomever posted this.  I almost bought 6 Romy kits today, but only ended up buying two.  Looks like my profiteering scheme may have come to a screeching halt.  Oh darn, more rifle kits for cheap in the future!
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#44]
left - right  stop - go  up - down i'm confused
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#45]
good
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I wonder if this is why some of the kits are so cheap right now?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Remember for a while kits started going up then all the sudden you start seeing these $89 Romanian specials.  Now maybe the price will drop below $50.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[ I am talking about for pre 1998 and 1989 gun parts- like for a Steyr AUG that was considered sporting then not. Or a Steyr USR. Or an FN FNC.

This is exactly why I think this letter is so significant.  First, I have never seen an ATF open letter that sounds so accomidating and detailed.  I would not be suprised that it was written because one of the law suits looked like it was going to go somewhere OR someone inside got their ass kicked for political reasons.  Either way, it appears to be a "How To" manual for importers to basically import anything.

Second, you mentioned guns such as the FNC, AUG etc.  As I read it, if an importer/manufacturer can now demonstrate to the ATF that they can make a non-imported version of said weapons (that is with no more than 10 imported parts) then it looks like they can import kits/parts.  Maybe now we will see these guns as long as the parts are available.  A FNC is basically an AK.  I don't know how many countable parts it has but it shouldn't be too hard for some company to whip up some gas pistons, fcg's and pistol grips ala the AK guys.
Again, this letter is just too damned detailed.  It sounds to me like a big change in ATF policy.  Time will tell of course.

Hmmm, FNC sears are still relatively cheap.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
left - right  stop - go  up - down i'm confused

exactly.  But you forgot  "you're under arrest!"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top