Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2001 7:48:24 AM EDT
Here's the proposal...

Very controversial topics, specifically race relations, should be allowed but only under close moderation for clearly incendiary behavior.  Whenever a mod is not available to moderate, the topic is locked... to be unlocked when another moderator is present.

A clear list should be made of what is considered acceptable...i.e. referring to someone as "Asian" is okay, "chink" is not.  Anyone violating said acceptable code of conduct has their post censored and is given a warning.  A second violation is grounds for getting kicked off the board.  Give them enough rope to hang themselves, see??

To me, this would allow free debate on volatile subjects without becoming a name-calling, knuckle-dragging, pissing contest.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Too complicated...

How about anything that is allowed on cable TV is allowed here?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
As I mentioned before, why not just have 2 GD forums ??
a regular GD forum with mods to keep the peace...this would be the PCGD forum
the other would be the true GD forum where anything goes, and those who enter this forum would pass through a warning page before entering, so they have no reason to bitch if they are offended. and they still have their regular GD forum for GD stuff.
well whatcha think ???
[x]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Butkus 51:
As I mentioned before, why not just have 2 GD forums ??
a regular GD forum with mods to keep the peace...this would be the PCGD forum
the other would be the true GD forum where anything goes, and those who enter this forum would pass through a warning page before entering, so they have no reason to bitch if they are offended. and they still have their regular GD forum for GD stuff.
well whatcha think ???
[x]
View Quote

We already have one.
It's called www.Mcuzi.com
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Duh...  That's why there is a [B][url]www.McUZI.com[/url][/b]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]
YEA, but why sublet all that talent and energy to another source !!!!![:D]
lets keep it here, just hidden in the goats basement...
[BD]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One other flaw in this is that by the time we get to an insult or racist comment in a thread, the thread has most likely had another 6-12 posts and has already lost focus...
-- GB
View Quote

That's why it is only unlocked under ACTIVE moderation.  I know, for myself, I can easily monitor a thread so that whenever one, maybe two, new posts turn up I'm already reading them.  You sayin' you too slow, Cowboy??  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know its hard because the emotion is lost,

-- GB
View Quote

I always thought that "it" gets soft when the emotion is lost .??
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm saying I hardly have time to read things (except when I'm in the office... heehee) not to mention reading EVERYTHING.

Moderators and staff have lives too. That means jobs to go to, women to chase down, and guns to buy and shoot!
View Quote

But that's why I'm saying lock the topic whenever you're skirt-chasing or vectoring the location of your Klingons or whatever.....

Just close it with a "Will re-open under moderation."

And you have a freakin' army of moderators here... just "talk amongst yourselves" in the moderators forum and agree on who will monitor the thread closely.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I read something and feel inclined to comment on it, then I want to do so at that time, when my mind is racing with thoughts. The last thing I want is for the damn thing to be locked... Try shopping at a store where the owner closes it every time he is on the phone, going to the bathroom, and so forth.
View Quote

Point taken.  Just trying to offer viable solutions.  Everyone will not be happy on this whichever way you go. ::shrug::
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#15]
If I read something and feel inclined to comment on it, then I want to do so at that time, when my mind is racing with thoughts. The last thing I want is for the damn thing to be locked... Try shopping at a store where the owner closes it every time he is on the phone, going to the bathroom, and so forth.
View Quote

Yeah, but are you going to bother coming to the mall where the store is located at all if several of the stores get locked and will never be opened again?  People will just go to another mall to shop.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#16]
It's true that "striking while the iron's hot" is great and all in order to not loose the moment during a thread, but several of the more flamable posts in the past probably would have benifited from a couple hours time off.  

Ross
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#17]
How about we stop letting the women tell men how to act?
READ THIS!
[url]http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster31.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
                                           I DID!....mucho deniero.....BUT   this is why i havn`t hooked up with any yet...one thing i DID learn about women....they MUST have some form of control over you...some way, some how...(it`s what i call the POP )....soon as they realize it isn`t going to happen, they lose interest!.............[moon]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I think that things are pretty good the way that they are. If the forums become too restrictive and too “PC”, a lot of people will bail. I think GoatBoy is correct in that we may need more mods, because nobody has time to be in front of the computer and reading all of the threads 24/7.

The General Discussion forums always seemed to be the meeting place & “clubhouse” for AR15.com. I for one would hate to see it change.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#21]
How about giving everyone a bar of soap. When anyone offends someone,the offender has to wash his mouth out with soap[;D]
Or lets get to the point where there is a sixty second delay from when a response is posted to when it appears on the thread[;D]
The point I'm trying to make is,everyone is offended at some time or another.It's how you react to it that makes all the difference in the world.
If people are so hurt by mere words,how will they react in a physical confrontation with thier enemies.
Have we become so conditoned by the media and the rest of the liberal morons(OOPS! probably offended someone with that! hopefully nobody on this board)[:D]to be hyper-sensative that an utterence of a single word should stifle a spirited discussion? When it turns into a pissing contest an has no hope of going anywhere, yes, moderation is needed.Ether to kickstart the discussion back to it's origional direction, or to close it.
I,for one, have no problem speaking my mind, and have other speak thier mind to me. If someone says something derogotory to me during a discussion, heated or otherwise, I can let it go afterwards. For instance, most people on this board have more in common than not.
The human animal can't be civil 100% of the time. We need to blow off steam or we go "postal"(OOPS! there I go again!)

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
READ THIS!
[url]http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster31.html[/url]
View Quote

Good read - thanks Hangfire
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Exactly...

HEY, I saw this topic and my heart lept! Then I opened it and saw a PATHETIC proposition... you do realize a man can't handle that type of misleading text. [=D][=D][=D][=D][=D]

View Quote

Miss Magnum - If Goat Boy's handle came from a Bill Hicks HBO special, you might want to be careful about propositioning him.  If you have seen the HBO special that I am referencing, then think of the "feed bag" comment.  If you haven't seen that particular comedy special, then you really need to.  Just don't watch it with your folks or any children around...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top