Hurricane by Wednesday.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Should we start looting now?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If it continues on it's current path, it will strike along the mexican coast. It is anticipated that the storm will impact the mexican coast, leaving in it's wake 10 million dollars woth of improvement to the region. Loss of life will be minimal, as there are few mexicans left in mexico to experience the storm.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Way too early to even guess where its going.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#6]
As of 0800 EDT Sep 18

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it continues on it's current path, it will strike along the mexican coast. It is anticipated that the storm will impact the mexican coast, leaving in it's wake 10 million dollars woth of improvement to the region. Loss of life will be minimal, as there are few mexicans left in mexico to experience the storm.

It will probably kill a bunch of Americans on vacation though
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:12:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Is 50- 65 knots pretty bad?

Not many hurricanes in Southern Illinois... not really sure how to understand a hurricanes potential yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not many hurricanes in Southern Illinois... not really sure how to understand a hurricanes potential yet.

Unpleasant but you could survive that in a tent.
It would cause minor damage like branches broken and the resulting damage from that and flying debris. A mean thunderstorm can produce those winds.
If the ground was really wet it could push over some trees by the roots.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would cause minor damage like branches broken and the resulting damage from that and flying debris. A mean thunderstorm can produce those winds.

The only comparrison i can think of is it is like sticking my hand out of my truck window going 65 mph...only i would be stationary and wet.

Am i close?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
One year ago today, I was clearing limbs and listening to the steady droning of generators.

Hurricane Ivan....good times...good times....
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

1 knot = 1.15 mph
50- 65 knots = 58- 75 mph

The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale is used in public hurricane releases to classify hurricanes according to their potential for generating property damage and flooding in coastal areas. The following are the five classifications assigned to hurricanes and a discussion of each:

Category I: A Category One hurricane produces winds of 74 to 95 mph and/or a storm surge 4 to 5 feet above normal. No real damage to buildings is likely. Some damage may be expected to unanchored mobile homes, shrubbery, and trees. Some coastal road flooding and minor pier damage may be expected.

Category II: A Category Two hurricane produces winds of 96 to 110 mph and/or a storm surge 6 to 8 feet above normal. Buildings will receive some roof, door and window damage. Considerable damage to vegetation, mobile homes and piers will occur. Coastal and low-lying escape routes likely will flood 2 to 4 hours before arrival of the hurricane center. Small craft in unprotected anchorages will lose moorings.

Category III: A Category Three hurricane generates winds of 111 to 130 mph and/or a storm surge 9 to 12 feet above normal. Structural damage to residences and utility buildings will occur and mobile homes frequently are destroyed. Flooding near the coast destroys small structures and larger structures are damaged by floating debris. Terrain lower than 5 feet above sea level is flooded 8 or more miles inland.

Category IV: A Category Four hurricane produces winds of 131 to 155 mph and/or a storm surge 13 to 18 feet above normal. Extensive outside wall failure with complete roof failure on small residences will occur. Major erosions of beaches and major damage to the lower floors of buildings near the shore is likely. Terrain continuously lower than 10 feet above sea level may be flooded and evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles may be required.

Category V: A Category Five hurricane produces winds greater than 155 mph and/or a storm surge greater than 18 feet above normal. Complete roof failure will occur on many residences and industrial buildings and some complete destruction of small utility buildings can be expected. Major damage is likely to lower floors of structures located less than 15 feet above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 10 miles of the shoreline may be required.

www.intellicast.com/Help/Weather/2022/

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Not quite yet.....it's too early.

It IS time to start blaming George Bush for whatever might happen as a result of this hurricane or what might result from anyone ignorant enough to sit with their thumbs up their ass who have made NO disaster preparations for themselves or their families.

And it IS time to start the racial rhetoric that holds ANY minority innocent of ANY personal responsibility.............YEP! How do I know?........I heard it from Jesse Jackson myself!
This was verified for me by that ghetto freak rapper..........what was his name? Conrad West.... or something like that.........so get ready!

The looting will begin ONLY AFTER the storm hits those innocent people who were victimized by George Bush.

Any further questions prior to the disaster?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only comparrison i can think of is it is like sticking my hand out of my truck window going 65 mph...only i would be stationary and wet.

Am i close?

Sorta. Stand up in the back of a pickup or a convertible for a better idea.
I went outside during the peak of Frances and Jeanne and it wasnt that bad. I stood at the end of an open field to watch for any projectiles coming my way. I had goggles on, that helped.

ETA: I routinely climb on the outside of airplanes at 80-100 kts. 80 kts is easy, 100 kts is dang near impossible.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#15]
1 mph = 0.868976242 knot
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
One year ago today, I was clearing limbs and listening to the steady droning of generators.

Hurricane Ivan....good times...good times....

I rather enjoyed the first night, when 99% of p'cola had no power. I sat outside, drank Jameson, and gazed at the beautiful night sky. The labor during the say sure sucked though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, maybe if it turns north it can finish the job in New Orleans

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#18]
30 MPH winds is just a souped up beer fart.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

All the good stuff have already been taken the last time around.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#20]
When do they assign names to these systems, when they become tropical storms?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't put to much stock in those projected paths at this point. I bet it will be like some kind of sick karma and go flood New Orleans again. Hurricanes in the gulf do really screwy stuff sometimes, we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Am i close?

As a very wise man from Texas once said,  "It's not THAT the wind is blowing:  it's WHAT the wind is blowing."
That is all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When do they assign names to these systems, when they become tropical storms?

Affirm.
Actually, they (NOAA or NHC) assign names before the season starts.  They just hand each storm the corresponding name in order of appearance.  IIRC, after they go through all 26, they start with phoenetics, but I could be wrong on that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Just remember, it's not going to continue on its current course. The only thing predictable about a hurricane is that they never follow their current course. Chaos theory.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Who activated the Haliburton Hurricane machine again ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So true!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#27]
With appologies to  REO Speedwagon

Riding the storm out
Waiting for the dry out
On a full moon night in the
Southern humid summer
My wine bottle's low
Waiting for the wind to blow
I've been thinking about what
I've been missing in the city

{Refrain}

And I'm not missing a thing
Watching the full moon crossing the beach

Riding the storm out

My lady's beside me
She's there to guide me
She says that alone we've finally
Found our home
The wind outside is frightening
But it's kinder than the lightning life in the city
It's a hard life to live
But it gives back what you give

{Refrain}

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Who activated the Haliburton Hurricane machine again ?

Rove is in control of it and he hates black people. Jesse Jackson said so
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Where is the line for free 2,000 dollar cards?  I'd like to get there early this time.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top