Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 1:20:34 PM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168443,00.html

Kuwait to Give $500M for Katrina Relief

Sunday, September 04, 2005

KUWAIT CITY  — The oil-rich Persian Gulf state of Kuwait (search) said Sunday it will donate $500 million in aid to U.S. relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina.

The offer is the largest known put forward since the hurricane ravaged Louisiana, Mississippi (search) and Alabama and follows a $100 million aid donation from the emir of a Mideast neighbor, Qatar.

Kuwait's energy minister said his country would provide "oil products that the disaster-stricken states need in addition to other humanitarian aid."

"It's our duty as Kuwaitis to stand by our friends to lighten the humanitarian misery and as a payback for the many situations during which Washington helped us through the significant relations between the two friendly countries," Sheik Ahmed Fahd Al Ahmed Al Sabah said in a statement carried by Kuwait's official news agency, KUNA (search).

Kuwait is one of America's closest Mideast allies and owes its 1991 liberation from Iraqi occupation forces to a U.S.-led coalition that drove Saddam Hussein's army out.

Kuwait and Qatar's donations came as the Egypt-based 22-member Arab League called on Arab nations to provide relief to the U.S.

The Arab League said that its secretary-general, Amr Moussa, sent a cable of "deep condolences and regret to the U.S. administration over the effect of Hurricane Katrina ... and called on all Arab countries to extend aid to the United States to face the exceptional humane circumstances."

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice when a favour is returned.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
That is very decent of Kuwait.

My opinion of them has changed very much after reading this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
NO FLOOD FOR OIL!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet, but we really don't need the money. What the Kuwaitis should do is break with the OPEC cartel and pump more oil and sell it to us for cheap! The solution is MORE business, not less business.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
That raised there stock in my eyes considerbly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
NO FLOOD FOR OIL!

LOL
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I've seen, there's at lest 60 countries sending aid.  South Africa even stated that the US is the first to respond to disasters in other countries, it's time the rest of the world helps the US.

I am surprised by this.  I really didn't think any of these other countries would lift a finger.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
FUCKING saudis.  Dont heare anything from them. Oh, I forgot they are sending all their money for the insurgent effort.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't a Kuwaiti minister just say that it was Allahs will that this happened? Like in the last week or so?

Sounds like a guilty conscience, and that they are bucking up to make it all right. That is fine, I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top