Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 6:17:51 AM EDT

I have always wanted a home geared towards preparedness, but this week has doubly reinforced my commitment to being prepared.

I hope to buy land and build a home within the next couple of years, and now I will be sure to look for land here in Florida a few feet above sea level.  I'll see what I can do as well to get a hurricane-proof roof (if there is such a thing).

Hurricane shutters will be a must as well, plus the obligatory supply cache and generator.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I was planning on selling my house and moving this coming Spring/Summer.

The only rethinking I'm doing is "I wish I'd have moved this past Spring or Summer"  

The neat thing is I'm going to look at a lot of different houses this coming Spring and I'm wondering how the real estate agent will react when I ask to look at houses with bomb shelters in them as part of the "like-to-haves".  

(I just PRAY that the housing market holds somewhat steady...)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Not many major natural disasters here in Philadelphia.  No earthquakes, forest fires, tornados or the like.  Hurricanes rarely reach this far north and if they do, they've usually lost most of their punch by the time they get here.   Remember, location, location, location.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Concrete and steel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Never wanted to move to FL.

We will be out of here spring 06'
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Monolithic Dome Homes

the only way to go

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not many major natural disasters here in Philadelphia.  No earthquakes, forest fires, tornados or the like.  Hurricanes rarely reach this far north and if they do, they've usually lost most of their punch by the time they get here.   Remember, location, location, location.  

Same here in Mid Michigan.  We have had a few real bad tornadoes, but they were 50 years apart.  Besides the cold and long winters, the only natural disasters we have are caused by dummycraps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have to admit....I had a handshake deal on a house, that is 3x the price of my current home.
Although my concerns are not based on weather or any other natural disasters.

I have had second thoughts, due to concerns of the ecomomy. Post 9/11 was a very tough time for small business owners.
I do not want to have to struggle to make ANY payments.

This decision has weighed heavy on me these last few days. I am waiting on the appraisal before I make a final decision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top