Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/1/2005 4:08:42 PM EDT
Just talked to friends around the Louisville KY area and they are starting to see a lot of stations out of gas.

The Cincinnati news is reporting that gas stations are now filling reserve tanks that aren't normally filled. Price jumped to $3.29 a gallon this afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm very close to Valley Forge PA. First time i've really seen diesel fuel cheaper than gasoline.

On the way home from work today the Sunoco station at the Valley Forge rest stop on the Pennsylvania turnpike had regular gasoline at $3.16 and diesel at $2.88. I think premium at $3.40 plus.

The Hess station one mile down the road from my home had regular gasoline at $3.16 and diesel at $2.86. Premium much higher there too.

Last night and tonight the Hess station almost looked like a repeat of the gas lines of yesteryear.

I've heard and read of areas out of gasoline but diesel is still availabe.

Guess what fuel my vehicle takes??
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Talked to a trucker this evening while filling up the car. He said they ran out of diesel in Topeka, KS and had to truck some in from Kansas City to fill the stations up.

Before that I was riding the fence as to whether to fill the gas can I had brought. After hearing that, figured an extra 5 gallons of diesel would be a wise investment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Living just outside of Cincinnati and reading this post, I decided to go out for a bit of exploring with my three 5-gallon gas cans in the bed of my truck.

Two out of three gas stations in my immediate area were out of low and midgrade octane fuels.

Needless to say, I filled up and topped off my truck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
WTF is going on?

Does ALL the east coast get its fuel from Louisiana?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Around this area too gas stations are running out.  Charlotte area of NC.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WTF is going on?

Does ALL the east coast get its fuel from Louisiana?

Thats what I am wondering. Thanks goodness we still have gas in my part of Florida. Although I have plenty stashed away just in case.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Living just outside of Cincinnati and reading this post, I decided to go out for a bit of exploring with my three 5-gallon gas cans in the bed of my truck.

Two out of three gas stations in my immediate area were out of low and midgrade octane fuels.

Needless to say, I filled up and topped off my truck.

EDITED TOO ADD:

There were no lines whatsoever.  If anything, the stations were kinda deserted.

Based on the posts I read on here...it is starting to sound like an eastern U.S. problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]
...  Can you imagine the impact if a couple cities fell victim to a similar catastrophe of some sort at the same time?

... Couple that with our RoP enemies bombing a few remaining fuel depots and refineries simultaneously.

... Fucked, we'd be [/Yoda]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]
From a post I made earlier tonight:

Gasoline in PA is going AWAY...

My family owns a trucking business...

New Bethlehem, Clarion County, has all three stations out of gas.

The small town where our company is located has one station, across the street. It ran out yesterday.

Many diesel stops along interstate are limiting rigs to $50 - $75 per fill up.

The station down the road has lines down the block.  They'll be out tonight.

Hold on, it's coming.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Up too $ 2.95 here.

Havn't seen any Hummers on the road for awhile ! Must suck paying $ 800+ a month for a ride you can't afford to drive/gas up !
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]
$2.98, $2.99, $3.00 here in the Iowa/Wisconsin Mississippi valley...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like I am heading to Sam's Club tomorrow to restock a wee bit.

Yeah yeah...call me paranoid.  But it is a cheap hedge against catastrophe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, so this is the official gas shortage  thread?  Cool, thanks...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Monday it was $2.39, now it's $2.99 for regular here in St. Louis.

There are are some stations running out too.

I'm seeing allot more cycles on the road these days.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#17]
3.25 In Northern Mn 15 miles from Canada. it Sucks every where .
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]
In before the Ethanol
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
No worries. If worse goes to worse, I'm sure McD's has ALOT of cooking oil they'll happily give me.
Then I'll cruise right on by all those stranded cars, and laugh when I see the looks on their faces.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
From a post I made earlier tonight:

Gasoline in PA is going AWAY...

My family owns a trucking business...

New Bethlehem, Clarion County, has all three stations out of gas.

The small town where our company is located has one station, across the street. It ran out yesterday.

Many diesel stops along interstate are limiting rigs to $50 - $75 per fill up.

The station down the road has lines down the block.  They'll be out tonight.

Hold on, it's coming.

Clarks Summit, Pa., just north of Scranton.

My family owns a Sunoco station. We got a load last night, 8900 gallons, we'll be getting another overnight, tonite.

How much did you need?

ETA:
$3.19/gallon for Regular
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No wonder gas is short, everybody is filling up everything RFN!

That's the truth! I seen yesterday someone was topping off their supersize COFFEE CUP!

I shit you not
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Many, many stations out here in the B'ham area.
Gas guzzlers full?  Check!
50 Gal. of backup fuel in the shed?  Check!
Lotsa food?  Check!
Loaded up and ready looter-shooters?  Check!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I have to go to work in two hours so I'll get a better view then driving in but there were no shortages, nor lines here.

Prices are going up though.  

They have been on the radio all day telling people that the tank farms and pipelines are full, and not to panic buy cause that MIGHT cause spot shortages.

I also saw a couple gas/station convinence stores that apparently have stopped selling gas.  They don't want to deal with it, claim the profit margins were small to non existant on the gas side even in the best of times, and now they cant afford to sell gas as a loss leader...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Everything is happening just as predicted in the movie Oil Storm.  The end result was a Great Depression, empty shelves in stores, violence in many cities, martial law.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#26]
The cheapest I saw tonite on the way home was $3.19 for 87
I've seen it as high as $3.40 something
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Dallas has run dry. Wife went to 3 stations, all were empty [just north of downtown]. Price was $2.99/87.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#28]
87-3.59 89-3.69 93-3.79 in that ored and to the question about the pipeline must have missed the news in the last day or so. it runs from orleans all the way up through maryland i think.so yeah we our fucked.

hey at least some good news nc has a lottery now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#29]
And no statments from either .gov or the oil companies have been relased for you all back there about why this is happening.

(educated guess is panic buying like in GA yesterday, but is it really or is it something worse?)
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Dallas has run dry. Wife went to 3 stations, all were empty [just north of downtown]. Price was $2.99/87.

WTF DALLAS has run dry?  Excuse me but you are in the same STATE as Houston/Galviston, how could YOU run out of gas?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Several stations here in SW VA are out of low and mid-grade. Some others are rationing gas by limiting drivers to $20 worth. Hanen't seen any widespread shortages though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
And no statments from either .gov or the oil companies have been relased for you all back there about why this is happening.

(educated guess is panic buying like in GA yesterday, but is it really or is it something worse?)

That is something that I have noticed as well.  Not a whole lot of noise being made about these gas shortages that we are hearing about.  I wonder if someone is trying to keep it quiet to avoid a panic.  I had to run to the store tonight and saw prices were up higher, some stations were empty, though it seemed like a ghost town and there were no lines.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#33]

So to be proactive, what's going on? And what is the likelyhood that the gas shortage will get worse and how long will it last?

How much gas actually comes through the Golf Coast area? 30% of the National supply?

Is there anyone out there with some actual knowledge of the actual situation? And where it will most likely go? Are we looking at a couple of days of total gas shut down, followed by limited supply for 6 months? Or what?

Just trying to get a grip on what is the most likely thing to expect and how to handle it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Several stations here in SW VA are out of low and mid-grade. Some others are rationing gas by limiting drivers to $20 worth. Hanen't seen any widespread shortages though.

Where are you?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Well we have our first report of station out WEST of the Mississippi in Dallas... any other Western states seeing this?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Several stations here in Austin are dry.  Mostly the mom and pop places.

I was told diesel will be comming in tomorrow morning at my usual fill up store.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I have noticed a trend that the shortages seem to be sprouting up east of the Rockies...perhaps as isolated as east of the Mississippi.

Has anyone west of the two boundaries stated above been seeing a shortage?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn, with schools just about to be starting up here in NOVA, there is going to be more and more fuel used with the Buses.  Haven't heard of NoVA running out at any station yet.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I have only seen one station out of gas in Nashville.

Diesel is cheaper too.

2.99-3.39 for 87 octane

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Here in Scott county Indiana, 30 miles north of Louisville Ky, we have some stations that are out of gas. Those that are not out are charging $3.199 a gallon.

Sure is gonna get interesting to say the least! Lots of people commute to Louisville and Indy daily for work, and with the prices alone things sure starting to slow down allready.

I think I will just lay low and see what happens next.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Supply seems good up here in Northeastern Ohio. Price suck though. I filled up around 25 gallons in tanks (yeah I know, contributing to the shortage) earlier this week, so I'm good for the Labor Day weekend. We'll see how much it goes down after this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Remember guys blame the environmentalists for this not the oil companies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#44]
$2.89/premium from the .fedgov (AAFES)

Of course, they're limiting the amount you can buy, and the MPs were out to keep order in the (really long) panic buying line...

Fortunately I'm not low yet, so I'll wait untill the panic-buying goes away...

The Army, fortunately, will not run out of gas...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Use this to hunt down cheap(er) fuel...

Gasbuddy
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you?

Roanoke
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#48]
tag
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you?

Roanoke

Which stations were rationing gas?

BTW A neighbor said that the distribution facility in Moneta in Bedford Co. is just about bone dry.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#50]
As I posted earlier..

STATION IN TOPEKA KANSAS RAN OUT OF DIESEL.

Was resupplied by truck from Kansas City.

This is unconfirmed, truck driver told me while we were fillin up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top