Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2001 11:51:46 AM EDT
Howdy!

I got a letter soliciting donations from the "Second Amendment Foundation."  How are they?  Legit?  Is the money actually spend on RKBA or on "administrative functions?"

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering the same thing. Got a letter today.

What's up with them asking name/address info and a signature on a survey?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Very Legit.. but i don't know what they spend on admin vs rtkba

They run the gun rights policy conference which is free and they are helping fund a lawsuit for me
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
...and they have a law suit pending against some national organization of mayors as a counter suit to those filed against gun manufacturers.

They get a couple of buck out of me every year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Aren't they linked with another group? Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, maybe?

They are 100% legit, but a major pain in the neck with their junk mail. I gave some money to them for a while, but had to cut back somewhat on my generosity since I support several other groups. I made the effort to write and ask to be removed from their mailing list, since I WOULD NOT be giving them any more money and hate to see them wasting effort on me. Six years later, I continue to get frequent letters from them.

No hard feelings, of course. If their particular angle of attack appeals to you, by all means support them. The NRA is the big one, but the more wolves we got in our pack the better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Good stuff.

Alan Gotleib is one of the best RKBA talking-heads around (tears em up on the town meetings/ talk shows).

My money goes to them and the NRA and consider it well spent.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
SAF is AOK. I send donations when I can. I encourage oyhers to do likewise..
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.saf.org/[/url]

Yet another pro-rights group I've never heard of before coming to AR-15.com.

Check out their site if you haven't already.

[8P]

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm amazed you people have never heard of them.  SAF/CCRKBA is a well-known and well-respected organization which, among other things, refers people to attorneys (e.g., for when someone is being sued after having justifiably shot a criminal).  They've been around for years;  I first heard of them at least a decade ago.

There are a few things I find disconcerting about their leader, Alan Gottlieb, but he is strongly committed to our rights and he has created an organization that works.

Those of you outside Washington state may have barely heard "Initiative 676" mentioned, four or so years ago, but he and his group spearheaded the fight against it and blew the anti-gunners out of the water -- the anti's lost by 71%-29%.  If SAF/CCRKBA hadn't organized the effort, nobody else would have;  the NRA came in late and just threw money at it, achieving very little in my opinion.  SAF/CCRKBA did wonders.

They have also collected money to help the families of some of our state troopers who were killed in the line of duty.  They're good people.

SAF gets money from me every time I see their booth at a Washington Arms Collectors gun show.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aren't they linked with another group? Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, maybe?
View Quote

CCRBA is the tax-deductible non-profit side of the Second Amend Found.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 71-Hour Achmed:
Those of you outside Washington state may have barely heard "Initiative 676" mentioned, four or so years ago, but he and his group spearheaded the fight against it and blew the anti-gunners out of the water -- the anti's lost by 71%-29%.  If SAF/CCRKBA hadn't organized the effort, nobody else would have;  the NRA came in late and just threw money at it, achieving very little in my opinion.  SAF/CCRKBA did wonders.
View Quote

The NRA is really good at the Federal-level lobbying etc, but they are weaker at the local level.  But the NRA "can't be everywhere, every place."  So others has got to step up to the plate and pick up the glove, in this case the SAF/CCRKBA kicked the anti's butt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Fair enough.  Thanks for the information!

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top