Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 5:32:54 AM EDT
N.C. law encourages guns for battered spouses

Critics say new law would bring weapons into already volatile relationships

Updated: 3:39 a.m. ET Aug. 18, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. - North Carolina lawmakers have approved a measure that would require courts to give battered spouses something extra when they seek a restraining order — information on how to apply for a concealed weapon.

However, victim’s advocates who support efforts to curb domestic violence said the measure could end up causing more problems by bringing guns into already volatile relationships.

“In my experience, if you’ve got a fire out there, I don’t think you put it out by throwing gas on it,” said Bart Rick, a Seattle-area sheriff who chairs the National Sheriffs’ Association domestic violence committee. “When I read this ... I went ‘Whoa.”’
The president of the gun-rights group that pushed for the measure said it’s more about helping victims of domestic violence help themselves.

“We’re not interested in them shooting their abusers,” said Paul Valone, president of Grass Roots North Carolina. “We’re interested in delivering a message: When police can’t protect these people, they are capable of protecting themselves.”

The measure becomes law Oct. 1 unless Gov. Mike Easley decides to veto it. His office declined Wednesday to comment on his plans.

The bill, which passed overwhelmingly in both houses of the legislature, would also add protective orders to the evidence a sheriff can consider when determining whether to issue an emergency permit to carry a concealed weapon. Normally, an applicant must wait 90 days for such a permit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Are these the same battered spouses that call the police because they've been assaulted and then beg the cops not to take their husband/wife to jail?  Honestly, I don't know how much good it will do.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If guns are good for protecting battered spouses, then they're good for protecting the rest of us from criminals.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything that is pro-gun works for me
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Well it'll sure level the playing fields.

sounds good to me
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are these the same battered spouses that call the police because they've been assaulted and then beg the cops not to take their husband/wife to jail?  Honestly, I don't know how much good it will do.  MJD

Yep.  They are also the same "battered spouses" who abuse the law regarding domestic violence in order to instantly grab the house, children, and assets of a marriage at the beginning of the end of their marriages.  Remember also that the batterer has to surrender all firearms, and cannot own or possess one for a year.  Penalty=Jail.

I see it so often.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anything that is pro-gun works for me

What he  said. I know my wife carrying keeps me from beating her even more often than I do...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]
It's about time people started waking up
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
now, to get more states to follow.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Well if ol Bart does not think it's a good idea, HE should be 100% responsible for protecting all battered spouses in the State and if he fails to do so, accept all civil liability. Also put him on the street unarmed, since he certainly does not need one either.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]

"I don’t think you put it out by throwing gas on it,” said Bart Rick, a Seattle-area sheriff

As always, the police are standing against us.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top