Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 7:53:32 AM EDT
Think the illegal immigrant situation is bad now? Just wait...

www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3313798

Survey: Half of Mexicans want to come here
Analysts in that nation blast a U.S.-based poll as misleading
By IOAN GRILLO

MEXICO CITY - A survey reported Tuesday that nearly half of all Mexicans would like to live in the United States and that the sentiment seemed as strong among Mexico's college-educated middle class as the poor.

Some analysts said the results reflect the failure of the Mexican economy to provide good jobs and satisfactory wages, despite a decade of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Mexican government officials, however, attacked the report's conclusion as misleading and unrealistic.

'Propensity to migrate'
In the survey of 1,200 Mexican adults, conducted in May by the Washington-based Pew Hispanic Center, 46 percent said they would like to live in the United States if they had the opportunity. Among college graduates, 35 percent said they would head north.

"Even at the high ends of the socioeconomic characteristics, we see that the propensity to migrate is quite strong," said Pew Hispanic Center Director Roberto Suro in Washington. "Mexico's economy doesn't satisfy their expectations."

The survey also concluded that 21 percent of Mexicans are inclined to work in the United States without proper entry documents.

A different story
The survey drew fire from at least one analyst here, Daniel Lund, director of the Mexico City-based market research firm Mund Americas.

"It is one thing asking people in an abstract sense if they would prefer better wages," Lund said. "It's another seeing how many people are actually making the trip northward."

Lund said that his firm's own surveys have found that only 15 percent of Mexicans have a real desire to head to the U.S.

Salvador Berumen, a director at the Mexican government's Population Council, said the idea of half of Mexicans wanting to leave was alarmist and unfeasible.

"We understand immigration is a serious problem, but we shouldn't exaggerate the issue," Berumen said. " ... If half of the population wanted to leave, this country would be deserted."

According to the Population Council, 400,000 Mexicans, or less than 0.4 percent of the population, migrate to the United States every year. About 75 percent of these people enter the United States illegally, the council says. In July, the CIA estimated Mexico's population at 106 million.

Nearly 11 million illegal immigrants live in the United States, including about 6 million Mexicans, according to a recent report from the Pew Hispanic Center.

NAFTA effects negligible
Many Mexican politicians hoped NAFTA, which went into effect in 1994, would raise wages.

But stiff competition from China, and a long-running depression in the Mexican agriculture sector, have kept unemployment high and wages low, said Monica Gambrill, an expert on the agreement at Mexico's National Autonomous University.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#1]
And the other half are already here. That about takes care of it.

ETA Mexico has the 10th largest economy in the world. Who's gonna put up the trekkers from 11-99?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted: A survey reported Tuesday that nearly half of all Mexicans would like to live in the United States and that the sentiment seemed as strong among Mexico's college-educated middle class as the poor.
No kidding... so does the rest of the world.

Some analysts said the results reflect the failure of the Mexican economy to provide good jobs and satisfactory wages, despite a decade of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
Trade is good if you've got something to trade.  We trade green paper for hard goods.  The Mexicans have nothing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
If we were REALLY smart, we'd ALL sponsor a few illegals............then sell out and move to Mexico.

We could live like kings.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#4]
They better make that number 75% to account for the 25% of the Mexican population who have ALREADY made it here, illegally I might add.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#5]
We neither need nor desire half of mexico to move here. Heck, in some areas you would think half of Mexico has already shown up!

The answer is to try and make their country more like the US, not to just move here and mess up our country.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]
That settles it than, We take over Mexico!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#7]
1/2 wants to come here, the other 1/2 is already here  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Instead of Iraq, we should have invaded Mexico, liberated their populace, eliminated their corrupt goverment, established a model democracy, and given the people a better life.

Oh, that's right, they don't have any oil...

—Dan

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And the other half are already here. That about takes care of it.

Haha, I was going to say, what, the half of them that aren't already in America?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Instead of Iraq, we should have invaded Mexico, liberated their populace, eliminated their corrupt goverment, established a model democracy, and given the people a better life.

—Dan

Actually, yeah, they do.

ETA: Link make sure to take it back with you to your "No War for Oil" whining party
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I keep seeing that 11,000,000 figure over and over again.  There are about 4,000,000 illegal aliens in Texas, about 9,000,000 in California, and that is just two states.  18-22,000,000 is the number that they should be using.

And 400,000 Mexicans entering the US every year illegally?  Well, that would be interesting, given that Texas alone is getting about 200,000 a year now and probably has 20% of the illegal population.  Close to 1,000,000 a year is fair, and these are the ones who make it into the interior of the US and stay.

I guess that 11,000,000 and 400,000 are "Bush numbers", i.e., "facts" that change with no explanation or relationship to reality.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If we were REALLY smart, we'd ALL sponsor a few illegals............then sell out and move to Mexico.

We could live like kings.

No shit, and the food is good too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
That place is a schyt-hole because the make it a schythole.  And now parts of our cities are turning into schytholes.  

Jeet
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

—Dan

Actually, yeah, they do.

ETA: Link make sure to take it back with you to your "No War for Oil" whining party

Owned!

Mexico has tons of oil, it's their corrupt government that keeps that country down financially.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

—Dan

Actually, yeah, they do.

Owned!

Mexico has tons of oil, it's their corrupt government that keeps that country down financially.

Mexico is not a third world country, it is a really screwed up first world country, like Italy in 1975 or Portugal in 1970.  There is nothing intrinsicly wrong with Mexico.  They should have had a booming economy by the 1880s, more so than the US at the time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We could live like kings. in a 3rd world shithole.

fixed it for ya and no thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I see Raid and Lysol going for $10 a can in the near future.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#18]
10th largest economy in the world, but 10% of their population has to flee to the US to escape destitution. This whole poverty angle is worn out. Mexico, with the 10th largest economy in the world can't support 106 million people? Bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Mexico — Population: 106,202,903

1/2 = 53,101,451
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry, California is full.  Still plenty of room in Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, and PA though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw we just take the country and make it the 51st state and then they could just stay there and say the live in the United States. We could call it New New Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I saw we just take the country and make it the 51st state and then they could just stay there and say the live in the United States. We could call it New New Mexico.

+1  I thought I was the only one that figgured it best to just go ahead and annex Mexico into the Union.  I love this site, I think I have found a new home!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought annexing mexico would be a good idea once.

Then someone here reminded me what happened to Western Germany when they reunited with Eastern Germany.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sorry, California is full.  Still plenty of room in Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, and PA though.

PA is full also, send them to Jersey.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

California was full 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I say we do a reverse Aztlan...
Arizona needs a beach!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Population of Mexico is 106,000,00 according to the CIA Factbook.  That's 1/3 of our population.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#28]
20,000,000 are already here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Might as well learn Spanish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top