Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 7:53:44 AM EDT
Add them to the list.....

Stones Jab at 'Hypocrite' Patriots in New Song

LOS ANGELES (August 10) - The Rolling Stones, not exactly a band at the forefront of rock 'n' roll activism, are taking aim at the American right with a new song on their upcoming album, according to Newsweek magazine.

The track, "Sweet Neo Con," boasts the line, "You call yourself a Christian, I call you a hypocrite/You call yourself a patriot, well I think you're full of shit," according to the weekly newsmagazine.

"It is direct," singer Mick Jagger was quoted as saying, adding that his collaborator, Keith Richards, was "a bit worried" about a backlash because the guitarist lives in the United States and Jagger does not.

"Sweet Neo Con" is one of 16 tracks featured on the Stones' new album, "A Bigger Bang," which comes out in the United States on Sept. 6, and a day earlier internationally. It was not featured on a 12-track advance CD circulated to critics. The group's publicist was traveling and not able to confirm the quoted lyrics or provide the complete lyrics.

The band is currently rehearsing in Toronto ahead of a world tour that begins on Aug. 21 in Boston.

In their 43-year career, the Stones have observed political developments in songs like 1968's "Street Fighting Man," but have generally avoided taking sides. Notable exceptions included the 1983 single "Undercover (of the Night)," about civil rights abuse in Latin America, and 1991's Gulf War-related track "Highwire."

08/10/05 07:20 ET

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't going to buy their CD, or see them play, anyways.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't cared about the Stones since they all died in the 1970's.  The new Disney robots they have been replaced with are just as crappy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Mick Jagger has always been a lowlife piece of shit, and that's a pretty widespread opinion, not just mine.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I haven't cared about the Stones since they all died in the 1970's.  The new Disney robots they have been replaced with are just as crappy.

The who?  What band are we talking about?

Oh you mean a washed up crappy rock band that plays the same 5 notes over and over.   Oh them.

Their music gives me a headache.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Wonder how their new sponsor Ameriquest is going to feel about that?

EPOCH

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
the hell with em
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
They need to hop on the bus with Hanoi Jane and drive down to a retirement home somewhere in Arkansas... I'm sure that folks their age would probably care about that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Jagger has to be the UGLIEST "rock star" in the history of the world. And evidently not the smartest either.

And don't these fools know when to quit? I mean, are they still gonna be jumping around like idiots when they are in their 70s? (or are they already that old?)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#9]
They just ceased being relevant in my life.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought they were done after the "Steel Wheelchairs Tour"
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#11]
oh well i guess i will just have to steal some of their music
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]
May they go the way of the Dixie Chicks.....

if they hadn't made deals with the devil, the stones would all be dead by now anyway.

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#13]
The stones are irrelivent, have been for about 20 years now. Some bands just dont know when to quit!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wonder how their new sponsor Ameriquest is going to feel about that?

EPOCH

Call them and ask them.... tell them you can't do business with anti-american companies.
1-800-397-9937
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#15]
PR relations for AmeriQuest

714-558-5300

"They have received a few calls for this and they would like to make a combined statement.  They will be emailing me a response."

RING THEIR BELL!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#16]
"Next up on today's episode of Irrelevant People's Opinions....."

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Add them to the list.....

Stones Jab at 'Hypocrite' Patriots in New Song

LOS ANGELES (August 10) - The Rolling Stones, not exactly a band at the forefront of rock 'n' roll activism, are taking aim at the American right with a new song on their upcoming album, according to Newsweek magazine.

The track, "Sweet Neo Con," boasts the line, "You call yourself a Christian, I call you a hypocrite/You call yourself a patriot, well I think you're full of shit," according to the weekly newsmagazine.

"It is direct," singer Mick Jagger was quoted as saying, adding that his collaborator, Keith Richards, was "a bit worried" about a backlash because the guitarist lives in the United States and Jagger does not.

"Sweet Neo Con" is one of 16 tracks featured on the Stones' new album, "A Bigger Bang," which comes out in the United States on Sept. 6, and a day earlier internationally. It was not featured on a 12-track advance CD circulated to critics. The group's publicist was traveling and not able to confirm the quoted lyrics or provide the complete lyrics.

The band is currently rehearsing in Toronto ahead of a world tour that begins on Aug. 21 in Boston.

In their 43-year career, the Stones have observed political developments in songs like 1968's "Street Fighting Man," but have generally avoided taking sides. Notable exceptions included the 1983 single "Undercover (of the Night)," about civil rights abuse in Latin America, and 1991's Gulf War-related track "Highwire."

08/10/05 07:20 ET

The day I listen to Mick Jagger's ideas on Christianity is the day I turn in my Bible.

He needs to shut his gigantic, drug using, adulterous, fornicating mouth and learn some humility.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Turn England into a glass parking lot - from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess a rolling stone gathers no moss.......but it sure does leave a good trail of bullshit.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#20]

"Neo-con"!??

That's so def it's phat!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Memo to the rolling stones:

Hey democrat,

get the coke spoon out of your nose,

get the crack pipe out of your mouth,

get the heroin needle out of your arm,

get the penis out of your ass,

don't try to think thoughts, you are just too dammed dumb to think or have opinions.

Break a hip mick.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#24]
they are still alive?...
...good god...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That's so def it's phat!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Why didn't he just leave the country when Bush won, like all the other anti-Bush entertainers did... er, meant to do... er, pathetically threatened to do, as if anyone cared.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Real "rolling stones" wouldn't have accumulated all that green stuff.  I think I smell a hypocrite but thanks anyway Mick for all the taxes you paid.  Every little bit helps and as long as you don't try and vote you can even have your own opinions.  We survived (even thrived) on those of the Dixie Chicks, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Danny Glover, Alec Baldwin, Kim Bassinger, Sheryl Crowe, Peter Jennings, Barbara Streisand, Matt Damon, George Clooney, Martin Sheen, Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, Mike Farrell, Janeane Garofalo, Edward Norton, Ed Asner, Jessica Lange, Spike Lee, Dustin Hoffman, David Clennon, Robert Altman, Bruce Springstein and Sean Penn and other bloviaters in the entertainment world.  One more is just a sign from above.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Why didn't he just leave the country when Bush won, like all the other anti-Bush entertainers did... er, meant to do... er, pathetically threatened to do, as if anyone cared.

In fairness, Kieth Richards probably thinks he DOES live in England. He hasn't been sober since 1957.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Their music sucks anyway - some of the old was good, but one of the local stations is pushing some new song and it ain't worth a crap - apparently just like them.

Someone should steal his Geritol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top