Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 6:51:27 AM EDT
Straight men to marry each other for tax breaks

WHAT'S LOVE got to do with it?

Bill Dalrymple, 56, and best friend Bryan Pinn, 65, have decided to take the plunge and try out the new same-sex marriage legislation with a twist -- they're straight men.

"I think it's a hoot," Pinn said.

The proposal came last Monday at a Toronto bar amid shock and laughter from their friends. But the two -- both of whom were previously married and both of whom are looking for a good woman to love -- insist that after the humour subsided, a real issue lies at the heart of it all.

"There are significant tax implications that we don't think the government has thought through," Pinn said.

Dalrymple has been to see a lawyer already and there are no laws in marriage that define sexual preference.

'STAY OUT OF THE BEDROOMS'

They want to shed light on the widespread financial implications of the new legislation and are willing to take it all the way.

There are obvious tax benefits to marriage, they said, but insisted they don't want their nuptials to insult gays and lesbians.

"I disagree with the government getting involved with what people should and shouldn't do," Dalrymple said. "Stay out of the bedrooms."

Words of warning came from Toronto lawyer Bruce Walker, a gay and lesbian rights activist.

"Generally speaking, marriage should be for love," he said. "People who don't marry for love will find themselves in trouble."

Walker isn't personally insulted by the planned Pinn-Dalrymple union because he believes in personal freedoms and rights.

"If someone wants to do something foolish, let them do it," he said.

As for wedding plans, Pinn and Dalrymple haven't set a date.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]
anything to "stick it to the man"

heh heh heh, ya see what I did there? That was funny. They're sticking it to the man, but they're not...... ah, nevermind.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Can I marry another personality in my head? If not they are hatemongering bigots.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Do sheep qualify for tax breaks?

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#6]
This was the first thing I thought of when all of this came up.

If you're sharing an apartmen, might as well "marry" your room-mate for the tax write-off.

I hate gay politics, it isn't about discrimination, it's about special treatment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I fail to see how there could be tax breaks, unless they are in a low income bracket.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]
health insurance could be another factor...if your employer recognizes same sex marraiges.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#9]

"Generally speaking, marriage should be for love," he said. "People who don't marry for love will find themselves in trouble."

You can tell this guy is gay and therefore knows little to nothing about marriage. Marriage for love is a recent phenomena, people in many countries still don't marry for love. Love helps, but it isn't even the half of it.

Edited to be clear that fight4yourrights is NOT the one saying that! Sorry dude!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#11]
the things some people will do for a buck
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
While I guess it's not relevant in Canada, if it was legal it'd be a good way to get health insurance in the US.

Or immigration benefits (green card).
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
That's great.  I bet the queers will really be raising sand about this one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw similar "marriages of convenience" while I was in the military.  Male and female member would get "married" for the benefits (BAS, BAQ or housing).  Always seemed to be a mess in short order...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]
what happens when you have a "progressive" tax system.  Time for the Fair Tax.  Time to make the poor people pay their fair share for once.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I knew people in the military that did the same thing - for the money.

It never really worked out in the end - just like most marriages - gay or ungay.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#18]
The owner of the company I work for and his father have said they'll marry if it becomes legal in this state to get around the inheritance tax.  For the money they'll save, I'd also do it.z
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The owner of the company I work for and his father have said they'll marry if it becomes legal in this state to get around the inheritance tax.  For the money they'll save, I'd also do it.z

Ha!  That's awesome!  If enough of this "loophole" "tax-dodging" "dishonesty" happens, maybe the .gov will finally get their noses out of marriage.  It should be absolutely none of their business what my marital state is and who I'm married to.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I just thought of another great reason to "marry":  Instant lowering of your car insurance rates!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The government NEVER thinks through the implications of taxation.

You couldn't shoot a .45-70 thru the tax code stacked end to end. It would take a Cray 3 milleniums to consider all the implications of a fly taking a crap on it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#22]
*wonders who will be the first ARFCOM samesex couple*

-Storm
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

*wonders who will be the first ARFCOM samesex couple*

-Storm

Wanna volunteer?  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#24]
24 posts and I have to say it myself...

DUPE

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#25]
dupe
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#26]
This one was first, unless there's yet another I'm not aware of.  Unlocked.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By SYSTEM MESSAGE:

So, how does a thread that beat this one by some 8 hours get locked for being a "dupe" of this one?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By SYSTEM MESSAGE:

So, how does a thread that beat this one by some 8 hours get locked for being a "dupe" of this one?

lol... The other one became a drunken brawl.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Good idea
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Wait until you see the gay marriage for immigration and Hitlery health care options that are coming in Massachusetts.  Plus the fixed term union option (Marriage for 10 years, optional renewal).  Plus the reemergence of the polygamy (and other 'gamies).  Plus ...

People who don't think the law should or can legislate morality don't understand the entire concept.  People who think the law can mean anything without a fixed system (as fixed as can be anyway) are delusional.  A great book to prime your mind on this and other debates coming down the legal line is Stanley Fish's There's No Such Thing As Free Speech (And It's A Good Thing Too).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top