Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 10:27:19 AM EDT
On Friday I left work early and decided to go out with my AR to a wildlife management area about 45 minutes from my house.  When I got there, there were three guys (together) with several larger caliber hunting rifles that two of the guys were shooting.  I thought it odd that in an hour, the third guy never shot...he just stood back and watched with a slightly sad look on his face.  He had asked me about my rifle a few times, but nothing in-depth.  It wasn't until we all walked down range (he always stayed uprange while his buddies changed their targets) that I noticed he had a limp, and his left arm stayed still.  A little while later, he asked me another question about my rifle so I asked him if he wanted to try it out.  He looked surprised, and told me he only had one good arm.  I told him to go pick it up, and to see if the weight was comfortable.  He went and picked it up (I was off the line drinking a soda), held it a little and then put it down.  I went back down and asked him what he thought...he was extremely hesitant.  My rifle is a CAR-15 with a tac sling, so I convinced him that if we adjusted the sling properly, the stock would fit snuggly in his shoulder and he could use the thirty round mag as a rest.  He finally agreed, and I put the hearing protection on him, loaded one round into the mag, and stood back.  He fired and missed the target which was 100yds away.  He felt comfortable, so I gave him 5 more rounds.  The first two missed, and the rest hit the target in a 4 inch group!!  Not bad for a first timer with the use of only one arm.  He went through about 15 more rounds.

The best part about the whole thing was when he turned around and looked at me after the first five rounds.  He was glowing with excitement and confidence.  I was really excited for him, and it made me feel really good.  He said he wanted an AR so I suggested that he go talk to the gunsmith I use because maybe he could have something built that would be more easily operable with one arm.  I hope he goes through with it.  Hopefully this will give him confidence to try other things he didn't think he could do.

I think that was the best day on the range I have ever had.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Great Job!!

The world needs more people like you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Good job
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent Work.

You did a very good thing!!!

There should be more people in the world like you. Aren't shooting ranges great places.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
You shoulda told him about the CAV15's. A tac charging handle might help as well and having a tac sling would work. Man that is a great story!!! Good show!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Dude, you rock!

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#7]
A toast to Chimborazo for epitomizing all that's good about gun people! [beer]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#8]
That's awesome....hope he picks up a Cav-15 in the future!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#9]
That was very nice of you Chimbo!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Real good job, we have to get everyone involved.
Funny how very few people when they shoot for the first time rarely have anything but a smile on their face.

About they guy only having one arm, I remember this guy I met in a bar shooting pool that only had one arm. He totally kicked my ass shooting pool. He won every game but one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#11]
[>:/]hmmm...

[:\]hmmm...

[:O]A-HA

[^]I've GOT IT!!!

[}:D] Next Time I go to
the range I'm bringin' a walker
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#12]
[:I] AW, shucks.  You guys are making me blush  [:I]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Good job, [b]Chimborazo[/b]!  I hope you run into the guy again--  except that time I hope he has something to shoot [i]with[/i] you!  [^]

Mike

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top