Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I could have corrected the error with out never saying a word, you guys missed a good opportunity to flame me.

It's a very good idea when you're correcting someone else's spelling to spell the word "spelling" correctly LOL  

Quoted:
I don't want to be a speeling nazi but could you please correct the title to reflect the correct spelling of

"indicted"

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Vicodin.

The max a person can take is 2 every 6 hours.  That is 8 per day according to the Rx.

So if a doctor is writing Rx  in higher volumn then that then he is guilty.  What I don't understand is why a doctoir would do this since it is the pharmacy that is making money off the guy, not the doctor.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The doc was seeing him weekly... billing Medicaid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The doc was seeing him weekly... billing Medicaid.

so what meds was he taking?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
What I know of is Oxycontin, Xanax, Darvocets. Could be more.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've seen this before with a very close friend.  His problem was his back.  He started taking pain meds as directed, then take them until the pain goes away, and finally go to multiple doctors call in a script at one pharmacy and then take the paper to another.  His addiction was fed by the fact the meds lost effectiveness with their usage.  

All of this at age 38 and died at 42 of an accidental over dose.  He was eating time released pain killers till the pain went away.  He often said he would rather die than live with the pain.  

Its hard to understand what motivates someone who lives with extreme pain day in and day out unless you do.  The pitfall your friend fell into was well covered and not seen.  What's a shame is he probably still would have fallen even if someone pointed it out numerous times.  

Like your friend, mine had his day in court and lost.  Our hopes were that the jail time would straigten him out which it did, however it didn't save his life for the pain was still there.  Even though his recreational use ended and his abuse of the system ended, the result was still same.  I hope your friend doesn't fall the same way.

Sad story that I have seen before.  

Tj

Booo fucking hoo. I work with 6 people that have cancer. One co-worker has just died. She had an autoimmune disease (a real one that showed up on tests and joint and eye disfigurement, not a fake mental illness) and got leukemia from drug side effects. Then got a bone marrow transplant. Somehow managed to live through this. She was disabled for awhile yet voluteered to work for free, as a hospial voluteer in the lab. Eventually she was able to go back to work. Then complications set in and she spent 3 months dying in the hospital, pissing blood amongst other things. She didn't make it, mercifully she died a few weeks ago.

This whole time she did not complain. When people visited her she talked to them about how they were doing. Another fella had a pear sized brain tumer removed. He was a young guy, a family man. It turned out to be the most agressive brain tumer. He wasn't given much of a chance either. Somehow he maintained a postive mental outlook and is back working in the lab getting daily radiation treatments, with his bald head and operation spot.

These people are in pain, the lady wanted to live. They didn't/don't spend all day feeling sorry for themselves and I can't give the pity my friends brother wants for some imaginary illness that actaully causes no tissue damage. I empathize with those that have an actual problem, I have degenerated cervical disks due to old bicycling injuries and when it flared up in a big way I didn't drown myself in self pity and medication. I changed my lifestyle, started resumeing my previous healthy habits, quit smoking pot and other stuff, quit drinking and started exercizing and eating right. It took a long time but I feel pretty good right now. I had to figure most of this stuff out myself as doctors were really not much help. I still kind of worry about what the future holds but my coworkers are an inspiration, my friends brother just disgusts me. He is an example of what I never want to become.

So if someone would rather not be alive I say do something about it and quit wasting oxygen. Addiction to pain medicine actually causes pain and doens't seem to be a fix in the long run. I know people that actually want to live, I don't have time to listen to someone whine about their poor pitiful pain unless they actually have something physical to show for it.

I'm wondering how much of this "pain" is caused by side effects of statins? A pretty good scam, give someone statins, they start having pain, diagnose them with "fibromyalgia" and give them antidepressants and pain pills, the get "nausea" and "migraines" so the get more "meds" for that and pretty soon they are in so much pain the poor creatures just don't want to live.

Sorry for the long diatribe but if y'all had to listen to the whining of a pill addict like I do you would know why. Someone who had everything going for them will probably be supported by the state before they finally croak all because of the current disease propaganda that we are brainwashed with every minute of every day. Now not only is there menapause, there is "perimenapause". In fact, there is no stage in the life of a women that is not stricken by disease or discomfort.

How on earth did people ever exist before phamacology. According to them we should be extinct now!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The story isn't really complete.  I can't see multiple felony indictments just for filling prescriptions written by a legitimate doctor.

Now, FORGING or ALTERING scrips,  that would be more likely.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The story isn't really complete.  I can't see multiple felony indictments just for filling prescriptions written by a legitimate doctor.

What I am betting is that multiple Rx's were going to differant pharmacies.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No, he didn't have a lawyer at the time. He couldn't afford it.

Um don't they then have to provide one for him, especially if they had charged him with  a crime.....
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I am betting is that multiple Rx's were going to differant pharmacies.

SGat1r5

To be honest, I am starting to think that as well. I don't think my friend is wanting to admit that part to me, but that's the only thing that would make sense out of why he got nailed.

He hadn't been charged with anything during the investigation. Therefore he didn't think he needed or could even get one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
To be honest, I am starting to think that as well. I don't think my friend is wanting to admit that part to me, but that's the only thing that would make sense out of why he got nailed.

Has to be BenDover.

When I was on pain pills my pharmacy once refused to refill any meds because it was not time yet based on the dosage.  Example, I was on vicodin at the rate of 8 per day according to the bottle.  That means 100 pills ever two weeks.  If I ran out before that the pharmacy would not refill my Rx even if I had one from the doctor.

The only way around that was to go to another pharmacy.  And even then I would eventual get caught because vicodin and oxy get reported I believe to a .gov agency, at least oxy does.  And they are REQALLY cracking down on thjis issue.

I am not trying to insult your friend in anyway because I know what pain does to a person.

But he did have a large part in this situation.  Still the doctor sounds like he was also ripping off medical because there is no reason to see a doctor that often just for pills.  He could have called them in.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The only way around that was to go to another pharmacy.  And even then I would eventual get caught because vicodin and oxy get reported I believe to a .gov agency, at least oxy does.  And they are REQALLY cracking down on thjis issue.

SGat1r5

Not enough. It is a HUGE problem.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGat1r5

Not enough. It is a HUGE problem.

I can get a Rx for Vicodin, Oxycotin, valium and just about anything I wanted today.

Piece of cake.

All I have to do is show them my MRI's and say "ouch".

So yes, you are 100% correct.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Rarely is "the man" your friend.

Sgat1r5

How true!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#15]
interesting you don't hear pro-druggie types yelling to legalize pain pills like alcohol and cigarettes.  Guess that only applies to meth and weed
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
interesting you don't hear pro-druggie types yelling to legalize pain pills like alcohol and cigarettes.  Guess that only applies to meth and weed

Weed is safer for you than Oxy or any other opium derived pain killers.  Unless it has been laced with something, you have never heard of someone ODing on THC (weed)
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I feel bad for your friend but as you are starting to realize there is MUCH more then what he is telling you.  To get so many charges tells you he was into some heavy doodoo.  Most likely he was calling his own scripts and making fraudulent claims on his insurance to pay for them.  

I had a chick that was trying to use my scripts to get 120 vicoden and we called the cops and nothing!  So for them to charge him with multiple counts thats big shit.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weed is safer for you than Oxy or any other opium derived pain killers.  Unless it has been laced with something, you have never heard of someone ODing on THC (weed)

OD'ing is one aspect of being "safe".  Doing stupid things while under the influence of a drug is the other aspect of it.  Is it safer to drive under the influence of weed or nicotine for instance?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Weed is a very effective pain killer.

Meth is just useless.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OD'ing is one aspect of being "safe".  Doing stupid things while under the influence of a drug is the other aspect of it.  Is it safer to drive under the influence of weed or nicotine for instance?

I drive under the influence of nicotine all the time.  I am also under the influence of coffee, ibuprofin, daypro, allegra and sleep deprived.  Though if we are going to beat this dead horse we should probably do it in different thread.

Sorry for the hijack
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meth is just useless.

Sgatr15

No kidding, it has to be the most harmful drug out there an so many people are doing it.  Fucking idiots.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The JBTs strike again....

Oh yeah, a pill popping dope addict, an unscrupulous doctor, and IT'S THE COP'S FAULT!  I'm really weary of the dumbfucks here on GD.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, a pill popping dope addict, an unscrupulous doctor, and IT'S THE COP'S FAULT!  I'm really weary of the dumbfucks here on GD.

You see the thing is, aside from himself, BenDover's friend was slowly hurting himself.  He took responsibility and entered a treatment plan and is clean.  He should be able to get on with his life, instead an out of control government is going to prevent him from further recovery by taking away his money (legal fees) and his ability to work (jail time) and ability to find another job (has a record)  If the system gave a shit they would continue to make sure he stays clean, instead they throw money and resources to prosecute him, while a sex offender probably goes free to make room for someone on a drug charge.  That is FUCKED UP.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You see the thing is, aside from himself, BenDover's friend was slowly hurting himself.  He took responsibility and entered a treatment plan and is clean.  He should be able to get on with his life, instead an out of control government is going to prevent him from further recovery by taking away his money (legal fees) and his ability to work (jail time) and ability to find another job (has a record)  If the system gave a shit they would continue to make sure he stays clean, instead they throw money and resources to prosecute him, while a sex offender probably goes free to make room for someone on a drug charge.  That is FUCKED UP.

I hope you're being sarcastic; if not, excuse me for not giving a shit about bendover's little pal.  I ain't buying the story as presented, and I fail to see "victimhood" anywhere on behalf of the pill popper. Actions have consequences.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I hope your being sarcastic; if not, excuse me for not giving a shit about bendover's little pal.  I ain't buying the story as presented, and I fail to see "victimhood" anywhere on behalf of the pill popper.

We will remember that the next time a cop buddy of yours has a problem.

Keep in mind that alcoholism is VERY high in your profession.  So you are already working with a bunch of addicts.  No disrespect ment, but thats the truth.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you're being sarcastic; if not, excuse me for not giving a shit about bendover's little pal.  I ain't buying the story as presented, and I fail to see "victimhood" anywhere on behalf of the pill popper. Actions have consequences.

I am not being sarcastic, and I feel bad for a guy who is made to feel and treated as a criminal when the only thing he did wrong was find a way to cure his pain.  No one else was hurt by his actions, an out of control system has made his life worse not better.  Some day this same thing will happen to someone you will know.  When that day comes are you going to say "fuck you, pill popper" or are you going to actually do something that will help him like get him into a drug treatment program?  If you are about to turn your back on a friend that has a problem, then I am glad I don't have you watching my back....
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#27]
He didn't do this to "cure his pain"  He did this to further an addiction.  If he was serious about the pain (assuming there was any to start with)  he would have sought other treatment besides a visit to Dr. Feelgood.    His accident was 25 YEARS ago.   But he only entered a treatment center when he got caught.  I don't feel one bit sorry for him.

Now,  his family and friends,  they're the ones that have been screwed over.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
He didn't do this to "cure his pain"  He did this to further an addiction.  If he was serious about the pain (assuming there was any to start with)  he would have sought other treatment besides a visit to Dr. Feelgood.    His accident was 25 YEARS ago.   But he only entered a treatment center when he got caught.  I don't feel one bit sorry for him.

Now,  his family and friends,  they're the ones that have been screwed over by the government.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how was he unscrupulous??  Someone comes in complaining of pain and gets a script for a narcotic.  Was the doctor charging $50 for the script separately?  If so, then he is unscrupulous.  And your friend is just as guilty for paying extra for the script.  Let them both rot in prison.  Or maybe I missed the part where the doctor forced him to eat the pills at gun-point.    

Don't get me wrong, I think the user is to blame for using.  

However, the doctor could have been acting unscrupulously by giving the addict dosages or refills well in excess of that needed to ward of pain.  If you are going through a bottle of oxycontin every two days, then your doctor is acting illegally if he continues to supply you.

Not only do I agree with you 100% but it is a crime for a doctor to prescribe narcotics to someone who is addicted to them.  So if the doctor was doing this then he was committing a crime.

The State Medical Board will fuck the doctor hard if they find out he was prescribing outside the bounds of medical practice.  You can't just Rx a narcotic to someone without seeing them in the office/ER.  You need to keep a chart on them with detailed notes.  He can't move to another state since the medical boards share information between them.  

What BenDover doesn't seem to grasp is that his friend is just as guilty as the doctor assuming that the doctor was in fact practicing outside the bounds of accepted medical practice.  We constantly talk about personal responsibility on this site.  Does personal responsibility go out the window if it is a family or friend?

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how was he unscrupulous??  Someone comes in complaining of pain and gets a script for a narcotic.  Was the doctor charging $50 for the script separately?  If so, then he is unscrupulous.  And your friend is just as guilty for paying extra for the script.  Let them both rot in prison.  Or maybe I missed the part where the doctor forced him to eat the pills at gun-point.    

Don't get me wrong, I think the user is to blame for using.  

However, the doctor could have been acting unscrupulously by giving the addict dosages or refills well in excess of that needed to ward of pain.  If you are going through a bottle of oxycontin every two days, then your doctor is acting illegally if he continues to supply you.

Not only do I agree with you 100% but it is a crime for a doctor to prescribe narcotics to someone who is addicted to them.  So if the doctor was doing this then he was committing a crime.

The State Medical Board will fuck the doctor hard if they find out he was prescribing outside the bounds of medical practice.  You can't just Rx a narcotic to someone without seeing them in the office/ER.  You need to keep a chart on them with detailed notes.  He can't move to another state since the medical boards share information between them.  

What BenDover doesn't seem to grasp is that his friend is just as guilty as the doctor assuming that the doctor was in fact practicing outside the bounds of accepted medical practice.  We constantly talk about personal responsibility on this site.  Does personal responsibility go out the window if it is a family or friend?

His friend went into treatment and is clean.  Considering that he was under the influence and addicted does anyone see how he kept wanting pills?  The pills supplied by his doctor were fueling his addiction.  I am sure that looking back BenDover's friend would have elected another course of treatment.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#31]
He didn't start out a one pill every 2 hours addict. He had a bonfide medical problem and has endured 11 surgeries in those 25 years. In taking medication to treat pain for that bonafide medical issue, his body became dependent upon those drugs.

The guy didn't go off on a binge and come back an instant druggie. It took years to build up to where he was at. The doctor kept handing him the pills.

So, is he responsible? Well sure, he's responsible for what he puts into his mouth. But the guy experienced legitimate pain that he didn't realize was his body sending cravings. He was simply in pain.

I don't see this as a cut and dry issue here. This guy didn't roll into the ghetto looking for a party in a vial. There was no party to this at all. This was not a conscious choice to irresponsibly abuse drugs. He was simply taking the pills prescribed by his doc, and responding to pain. When his DTs reached the point beyond what he could get by legal means, he went around the system -- which is the actual crime he committed. However, the check and balance before he gets there should be the doctor... who happens to be fleeing his own responsibility in this matter.

I love how these guys who do not understand physical addiction can just come across with these cut and dry moral judgements.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
He didn't start out a one pill every 2 hours addict. He had a bonfide medical problem and has endured 11 surgeries in those 25 years. In taking medication to treat pain for that bonafide medical issue, his body became dependent upon those drugs.

The guy didn't go off on a binge and come back an instant druggie. It took years to build up to where he was at. The doctor kept handing him the pills.

So, is he responsible? Well sure, he's responsible for what he puts into his mouth. But the guy experienced legitimate pain that he didn't realize was his body sending cravings. He was simply in pain.

I don't see this as a cut and dry issue here. This guy didn't roll into the ghetto looking for a party in a vial. There was no party to this at all. This was not a conscious choice to irresponsibly abuse drugs.

At some point that is exactly what this became.

He was simply taking the pills prescribed by his doc, and responding to pain. When his DTs reached the point beyond what he could get by legal means, he went around the system -- which is the actual crime he committed. However, the check and balance before he gets there should be the doctor... who happens to be fleeing his own responsibility in this matter.

I agree.
What gets me is how so many docs like this throw this shit around and then when the patients have, or become, real problems they tell them to come see someone like me. Grrrrr.

We are trained though that you must treat people's pain. I have discovered though that there are  ways other than narcotics. I also took an oath to first "DO NO HARM". In the world of coproate medicine that is all too often overlooked and ignored.

I love how these guys who do not understand physical addiction can just come across with these cut and dry moral judgements.

I understand it plenty well. The ultimate responsibility, however,  falls on the person putting the pills in their mouth. I'm no saint, nor do I claim to be. I have taken prescription narcotics and have decided that they are reserved for severe pain and short term use. The last back injury I had, I took one vicodin, a flexeril and some prednisone. I rested it and took good care of it and in 2 days I was pretty good. Best I have done yet with a back strain.

I also understand rebound pain and I see these people ALL the time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I don't see this as a cut and dry issue here. This guy didn't roll into the ghetto looking for a party in a vial. There was no party to this at all. This was not a conscious choice to irresponsibly abuse drugs. He was simply taking the pills prescribed by his doc, and responding to pain. When his DTs reached the point beyond what he could get by legal means, he went around the system -- which is the actual crime he committed. However, the check and balance before he gets there should be the doctor... who happens to be fleeing his own responsibility in this matter.

They don't understand addiction..........I hope your friend is able to recover and have a normal life.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see this as a cut and dry issue here. This guy didn't roll into the ghetto looking for a party in a vial. There was no party to this at all. This was not a conscious choice to irresponsibly abuse drugs.

At some point that is exactly what this became.

He was simply taking the pills prescribed by his doc, and responding to pain. When his DTs reached the point beyond what he could get by legal means, he went around the system -- which is the actual crime he committed. However, the check and balance before he gets there should be the doctor... who happens to be fleeing his own responsibility in this matter.

I agree.
What gets me is how so many docs like this throw this shit around and then when the patients have, or become, real problems they tell them to come see someone like me. Grrrrr.

We are trained though that you must treat people's pain. I have discovered though that there are  ways other than narcotics. I also took an oath to first "DO NO HARM". In the world of coproate medicine that is all too often overlooked and ignored.

I understand it plenty well. The ultimate responsibility, however,  falls on the person putting the pills in their mouth. I'm no saint, nor do I claim to be. I have taken prescription narcotics and have decided that they are reserved for severe pain and short term use. The last back injury I had, I took one vicodin, a flexeril and some prednisone. I rested it and took good care of it and in 2 days I was pretty good. Best I have done yet with a back strain.

I also understand rebound pain and I see these people ALL the time.

drjarhead: Sounds like you do good work
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Seems like a dumbass.  Now I bet he can afford what's happened, right?  Also seems like they have no prosecutable case without the Dr testifying as to dosage and why HE authorized the prescriptions.  If I were your friend, I wouldn't be too concerned about jail time.  It'll plead down.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope your being sarcastic; if not, excuse me for not giving a shit about bendover's little pal.  I ain't buying the story as presented, and I fail to see "victimhood" anywhere on behalf of the pill popper.

We will remember that the next time a cop buddy of yours has a problem.

Keep in mind that alcoholism is VERY high in your profession.  So you are already working with a bunch of addicts.  No disrespect ment, but thats the truth.

SGat1r5

Well,when my  buddies start forging prescriptions to pick up a six-pack of Coors at the 7-11, then you'll have a point; your attempt at moral relativisim failed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#37]

a 55 year old crippled man who has been on disability for 25 years but managed to raise a daughter as a single dad and get her through school with such good grades she got a full ride to Temple...has endured 11 surgeries in those 25 years.

I still can't believe that some of the anti-Constitution, anti-freedom cop-apologists here still want to nail the guy after reading the above.  What good does it do to put him in prison?  What has happened to law enforcement when the goal has gone from doing good to putting as many people in prison as possible.  Sorry for the rant, but I'm old enough to remember when cops weren't like this.z
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Judge Dredd is what happened.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#39]
This just goes to show the grasp the pharmaceutical companies have on this country.  Lets face it, they know damn well the actual legitimate demand for opiate painkillers doesnt even come close to their production numbers.  So where are all these vicoidns and oxycontins, morphine, etc going to?  Addicts of course.  I swear half the middle age crowd now has a bottle of vicodin sitting at home in the medecine cabinet and they dont think twice about popping a couple after a 'stressful' day at the office.  Either the .gov should wise up and shut down this massive legal drug dealing operation or bite the bullet and make the stuff over the counter.  Sad thing is I see option #2 as more likely, they reap massive proffits as we stand now and making them OTC would just mean more coins in their coffers.  Yes, politicians profit from this, nice guys arent they?    
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems like a dumbass.  Now I bet he can afford what's happened, right?  Also seems like they have no prosecutable case without the Dr testifying as to dosage and why HE authorized the prescriptions.  If I were your friend, I wouldn't be too concerned about jail time.  It'll plead down.

They don't need the doc's testimony IMO.
Proving doctor shopping, forging prescriptions, etc should be simple.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This just goes to show the grasp the pharmaceutical companies have on this country.  Lets face it, they know damn well the actual legitimate demand for opiate painkillers doesnt even come close to their production numbers.  So where are all these vicoidns and oxycontins, morphine, etc going to?  Addicts of course.  I swear half the middle age crowd now has a bottle of vicodin sitting at home in the medecine cabinet and they dont think twice about popping a couple after a 'stressful' day at the office.  Either the .gov should wise up and shut down this massive legal drug dealing operation or bite the bullet and make the stuff over the counter.  

That is correct.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Well I learned that his actual charges are 15 counts of DECEPTION TO OBTAIN DANGEROUS DRUG.

Per ORC...

A) "Deception" means knowingly deceiving another or causing another to be deceived by any false or misleading representation, by withholding information, by preventing another from acquiring information, or by any other conduct, act, or omission that creates, confirms, or perpetuates a false impression in another, including a false impression as to law, value, state of mind, or other objective or subjective fact.  

§ 2925.22. Deception to obtain a dangerous drug.

(A)  No person, by deception, as defined in section 2913.01 of the Revised Code, shall procure the administration of, a prescription for, or the dispensing of, a dangerous drug or shall possess an uncompleted preprinted prescription blank used for writing a prescription for a dangerous drug.  

(B)  Whoever violates this section is guilty of deception to obtain a dangerous drug. The penalty for the offense shall be determined as follows:  

(1) If the drug involved is a compound, mixture, preparation, or substance included in schedule I or II, with the exception of marihuana, deception to obtain drugs is a felony of the fourth degree, and division (C) of section 2929.13 of the Revised Code applies in determining whether to impose a prison term on the offender.  

(2) If the drug involved is a dangerous drug or a compound, mixture, preparation, or substance included in schedule III, IV, or V or is marihuana, deception to obtain a dangerous drug is a felony of the fifth degree, and division (C) of section 2929.13 of the Revised Code applies in determining whether to impose a prison term on the offender.  

(C)  In addition to any prison term authorized or required by division (B) of this section and sections 2929.13 and 2929.14 of the Revised Code and in addition to any other sanction imposed for the offense under this section or sections 2929.11 to 2929.18 of the Revised Code, the court that sentences an offender who is convicted of or pleads guilty to a violation of division (A) of this section shall do both of the following:  

(1) The court shall suspend for not less than six months or more than five years the offender's driver's or commercial driver's license or permit.  

(2) If the offender is a professionally licensed person, in addition to any other sanction imposed for a violation of this section, the court immediately shall comply with section 2925.38 of the Revised Code.  

(D)  Notwithstanding any contrary provision of section 3719.21 of the Revised Code, the clerk of the court shall pay a fine imposed for a violation of this section pursuant to division (A) of section 2929.18 of the Revised Code in accordance with and subject to the requirements of division (F) of section 2925.03 of the Revised Code. The agency that receives the fine shall use the fine as specified in division (F) of section 2925.03 of the Revised Code.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I may have come off a little harsh since I actually know nothing about your friends situation. A doctor actually told my friends brother to quit relying on drugs and take a little responsibilty. He also went on to tell him what was going to happen to him if he kept on the path he was on. He simply goes to a doctor that tells him what he wants to hear and gives him the 'script he thinks he needs. He has a mental problem and the doctors have suggested he see a shrink but they still give him the pills.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Did I miss something?  Is legal council now a privilege and not a right?

A good friend of mine who used to be a prosecutor for the US Justice Dept. (now in private practice) says there is no such thing as a "good" law enforcement contact.  The police are not your friends.  Their only job is to collect evidence so they can convict you.  Whenever you are arrested or called in for questioning, you should only do two things - ask for a lawyer, and keep your mouth shut!!  Asbolutely nothing else you do or say to them with help you in any way.  It will only hurt you.

Unfortunately your friend here stupidly decided to "cooperate" with the police and is now paying the price.  The only good thing that can come out of this is everyone here will read about it and act differently if they ever find themselves under investigation or arrested.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Did I miss something? Is legal council now a privilege and not a right?

It's still a right under some circumstances, but you have to convince a judge that you meet the requirements before you will be granted a lawyer.  Some judges are much less likely than other to grant you a lawyer.z
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top