Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2005 6:38:51 PM EDT
This just in-from FOX news

The Chicago crew has lost a great rock station

WJMK(104.3) has switched its format from 60's and 70's rock as of last Friday(6/3)

My family has grown up on that station.

Now I will have to listen to the Drive to get my oldies.

It won't be the same
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Satellite radio bro.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Satellite radio bro.

I'm in mourning-I'll have to listen to my mp3's.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Milwaukee is going to lose it's only decent jazz radio station soon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
iPod
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And Miami lost its only rock station a few months back.

Satelite Radio and Clear Channel are screwing with our radio stations and that my liege will unfortunately be the end of radio in this country.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Satellite radio bro.

+1
I love my XM
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
MP3's and sat radio are the way to go.  Terrestrial broadcast has been in the shitter for years now.  For the most part if it's not crap (or something close to it), it's Mexican bullshit.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#8]
From the title, I thought for sure this was another Star Wars III bashing thread.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]
it sucks.  

Next thing Bonneville(The company that owns WDRV-97.1) is gonna kill the Drive.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
HEY...deejay,and the rest of the Chi crew..............

When I drive thru that area ,theres a station that will play anything..............I MEAN ANYTHING.

I half caught it when I was scanning the freqs and heard some old Doors,I think,anyhoo ,so I keep listening to it.....the song ends........and on comes Kenny Rodgers!!

Im thinking it was some kinda joke song,or something like that,then they played some Cure,and then they played ABBA!!

I start listining for the joke,but no,they say they will play anything. I heard Megadeath,the Beatles,Madonna and Sinatra ,one after another.

Never heard of anything like it!
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

When I drive thru that area ,theres a station that will play anything..............I MEAN ANYTHING.

I half caught it when I was scanning the freqs and heard some old Doors,I think,anyhoo ,so I keep listening to it.....the song ends........and on comes Kenny Rodgers!!

Im thinking it was some kinda joke song,or something like that,then they played some Cure,and then they played ABBA!!

I start listining for the joke,but no,they say they will play anything. I heard Megadeath,the Beatles,Madonna and Sinatra ,one after another.

Wonder what that station is?
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Satelite Radio and Clear Channel are screwing with our radio stations and that my liege will unfortunately be the end of radio in this country.  

yeah, I've had it happen twice where I got to liking a radio station only to have them bought out by clearchannel and turned into something godawful
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, just be glad they didnt change the format to a hispanic music station like they did here in the DC Metro area. Now we get to go from rock to Latin music.....oh yay!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, I've had it happen twice where I got to liking a radio station only to have them bought out by clearchannel and turned into something godawful

Clearchannel is taking over the worlds airwaves.............be afraid
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:19:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder what that station is?

Dunno,it was weird I was above Joliet on 80 when I heard it last winter.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:23:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
it sucks.  

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

They can't do that, I love that station!
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Houston lost it's only real "rock" station, Rock 101 KLOL, recently as well (there were other stations kinda close - stations that played newer popular rock, club-ish music, or classic rock only - but this was the only real "rock" station that played *good* rock music from the 60s-00s).  It was owned by Clear Channel, and Clear Channel decided that it was in their best financial interests to shut them down and replace them with a Latino pop station.  There was virtually zero warning.  They called up the guys that did the morning show on a Thursday night, and told them that the next morning would be their last show, IIRC - and it was, after Friday the station was toast.  There wasn't even time for a public outcry before it happened.  Most people just tried to tune in sometime that weekend and were like, "wtf is this latino crap?".

But the community banded together and somehow (I don't know all the details), a station broadcasting from the nearby city of Beamount took over their role and re-hired all of their old DJs (some a few months later, they had to wait out noncompete agreements) and basically rebuilt the the same station culturally, but under a new name, frequency, and management.  I believe it all started from discussions on a Rock 101 fan messageboard in the wake of the closing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

WJMK(104.3) has switched its format from 60's and 70's rock as of last Friday(6/3)

Bye-bye moldie oldies  
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it sucks.  

Me too! It kicks total ass!
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Houston lost it's only real "rock" station, Rock 101 KLOL, recently as well (there were other stations kinda close - stations that played newer popular rock, club-ish music, or classic rock only - but this was the only real "rock" station that played *good* rock music from the 60s-00s).  It was owned by Clear Channel, and Clear Channel decided that it was in their best financial interests to shut them down and replace them with a Latino pop station.  There was virtually zero warning.  They called up the guys that did the morning show on a Thursday night, and told them that the next morning would be their last show, IIRC - and it was, after Friday the station was toast.  There wasn't even time for a public outcry before it happened.  Most people just tried to tune in sometime that weekend and were like, "wtf is this latino crap?".

But the community banded together and somehow (I don't know all the details), a station broadcasting from the nearby city of Beamount took over their role and re-hired all of their old DJs (some a few months later, they had to wait out noncompete agreements) and basically rebuilt the the same station culturally, but under a new name, frequency, and management.  I believe it all started from discussions on a Rock 101 fan messageboard in the wake of the closing.

I heard that too-I wasn't listening to WJMK for a while-and I can only speculate that they were at least given a warning!
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It won't be the same

That happened to a station here in the D.C. area. It was a decent rock station, been around for
over 10 years. One day, NO NOTICE, it changes to a Latin music station at noon. WTF?!
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it sucks.  

I didn't say THEY WOULD.  I can only hope Bonneville isn't anything like Clear Channel.

Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hey, just be glad they didnt change the format to a hispanic music station like they did here in the DC Metro area. Now we get to go from rock to Latin music.....oh yay!!!

I havent seen too many (thank God) Hispanic/Tejano stations in Chi-town.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Detroit also has a good station that I saw when I was there last year. 96.3 WDVD.  Also, in Central Illinois when I was going to East Peoria there was a good Classic Rock station called the Eagle.  IIRC it was 99.9.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Let me guess: they are the first oldies rap station now?
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me guess: they are the first oldies rap station now?

No.  I listened to the new station today.  It was Okay, kind of a mix of all kinds of rock but not worth keeping on the radio preset.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It won't be the same

That happened to a station here in the D.C. area. It was a decent rock station, been around for
over 10 years. One day, NO NOTICE, it changes to a Latin music station at noon. WTF?!

Fuckers.

That made up my mind to make the plunge with Sirius even though I do listen to Elliot every morning.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It won't be the same

Fuckers.

That made up my mind to make the plunge with Sirius even though I do listen to Elliot every morning.

99.1 WHFS. They are now on 105.7 I believe, but it's hard to pull the signal in from Baltimore.
I can get it sometimes on the 3rd level of the parking garage at Tyson's Corner Mall (by the rebuilt wing) at night.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top