Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2005 5:34:04 AM EDT
OK, so last Sunday day I am driving around what I though was a still frozen field and my 2WD dakota gets stuck in the mud.  It was supposed to fall below 20 and stay that ways this week, so I figure I will wait till it freezes and go get it.

I go to try to pull it out today and it wont budge.  I step and the bumper and think "That feels odd"
Apparently over the last week it sank all the way down so now it is resting on the frame rails.

Any suggestions as to the best approach at this point?

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Call a friend that has a 4x4 Ford Truck and a rope.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Stretch your back, grab a shovel a jack, some wood blocks, and some beer.

You need to dig out under the axle, jack the truck, block/crib the space you create, set the truck down, repeat on the same side.  Your truck is sunk.  You need to unsink it.  That....or call a 4X4 truck with a tow chain.

Either way, you'll need beer.  Lots of beer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You need to dig out under the axle, jack the truck, block/crib the space you create, set the truck down, repeat on the same side.  Your truck is sunk.  You need to unsink it.  That....or call a 4X4 truck with a tow chain.

and lots of friends...
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, okay, I'll be the first.......

TANNERITE
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and lots of friends...

yes.....lots of friends.  Good call Stoney.  You'd be lucky to get below the frost line doing it on your own.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I dunno ... my Jeep has never been stuck .... Ive pulled many poeple out though!
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, so I forgot to mention we tried tow straps and 4WD's this morning.  With the natural clay of the area, it seems we have abbout 2" of frozen earth, 6" mud and then more frozen earth.  bigger trucks and tractor tear through the top ice and make mud soup on top of ice and then start slipping on their own.  

A friend up the road has a dozer, but I am afraid the pulling it at this point will leave the exhaust and most other parts behind.  

I tried jacking it up and sticking some 6X8 beams I had underneath the tires.  I did ont get out, but I made some really cool wood torpedos.  I saw them shooting across the filed in the rear view.

This has been one of 1000 things that have gone wrong in the last two weeks.  

Dan
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Tractor and however much wire rope or chain it'll take. I'm sure you can rent the supplies. screw diggin' and jackin'. Been there, done that. At least this pic ain't you!
www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/gallery/trouble_pic.cgi?pic=http;//www.tractorshed.com/gallery/trouble/r1097.jpg&firstrec=1&lastrec=15&Parameter=&mode=All&what=trouble
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Call a friend that has a 4x4 Ford Toyota Tacoma Truck and a rope.

SGatr15

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay now you have my attention.

Get a large anchor.....like a bigger truck, stake, rock, whatever that is actually heavier than YOUR truck.  Get a come along and a chain.

Hook it up and wrench it out.  Use physics to help you.  It's the only way, given the scenario you just painted.

That will work - I've done it twice.  Keep us updated.  Once it's out of the ruts it's resting in, use boards under the tires to work as shoes so it won't sink in again.  It'll be slow, but it'll work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]
If it's sitting on the frame rails, it's going to be difficut.  I'd say even with a buddy w/ a 4X4, you might have to do some digging.  DO NOT attach the tow rope/chain to the bumper or axle.  Bumper will come off, axle might bend.

Case o' beer will help.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If it's sitting on the frame rails, it's going to be difficut.  I'd say even with a buddy w/ a 4X4, you might have to do some digging.  DO NOT attach the tow rope/chain to the bumper or axle.  Bumper will come off, axle might bend.

Case o' beer will help.

I can't stress that enough.  You will need LOTS of beer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:53:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Sky hook.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#14]
you need to come to texas and get my unimog- it will get it out of there
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Eh don't get stuck in the first place!!!!
Come on someone had to say it!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#16]
It's worse than you think.  Now, not only is it stuck in the mud, but it's frozen in place.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all of the help so far.  In cas y'all aren't familiar with Ohio wheather, it is supposed to be 12-15 degress (f) tonight and sunday and 45 and raining all day on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Maybe the best thing I could do is have everyone here get together and send my wife an e-mail saying it is totally screwed and the only solution is for me to go out and buy a new truck this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for all of the help so far.  In cas y'all aren't familiar with Ohio wheather, it is supposed to be 12-15 degress (f) tonight and sunday and 45 and raining all day on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Maybe the best thing I could do is have everyone here get together and send my wife an e-mail saying it is totally screwed and the only solution is for me to go out and buy a new truck this weekend.

Or buy some pontoons....you can float it out!
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Eh don't get stuck in the first place!!!!
Come on someone had to say it!!!!!

Yeah, you got to wonder about someone that drives a 2 wheel drive truck thru a field in the middle of winter.  And then leaves it there.  

Just giving you a hard time buddy, but I bet you never do that again.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Heavy or medium duty TOW TRUCK.  They are pro's.  Pony up the cash.  It'll be cheaper than what you break messing around with half-assed attempts to do it your self.

Buck
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Now THAT'S a great idea!!

Just buy a Ford this time.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

SGatr15

Yeah then take it to used car dealership anad get a 4x4
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#23]
First thing you need to do is tie your MULLET in a pony tail so you don't get mud in your hair!
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
First thing you need to do is tie your MULLET in a pony tail so you don't get mud in your hair!

Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you know any one with a back hoe, front end loader, or crane?
You can tie off to the tow hooks and pick it up, then stack the wood under the axles.
When you get it up high enough, either move it over to one side or start putting wood across the ruts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Never do it again, heck this is the second time this year.  OK, so actually I just had some things to drop off in the back of the field and I was in a hurry.  

I drove through the front, and seemed plenty frozen, so I thought no problem.  I forgot after I crested the hill, that the hill faced south.  I started to slide, and said crap, so I turned to go back, only instead of going up the hill, I slid down the hill to the trucks preasent location.

I would never have actually drive to the locaiton it is in now.  I think the Frozen earth/muddy soil/frozen clay really did me in.  The mud on top of the ice/clay seems to be a slippy mix.

Dan
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#27]
We really, really, really need pics here to help you.

Or at least for the laughs.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do not use hairnets..........................
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#31]
If you can't unbury the truck, at least you'll still have your IROC.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or buy some pontoons....you can float it out!

That reminded me of the airbags I've seen used as car jacks.  Slip them under and inflate them.  

Check with the Fire Dept.

Air Bags
There are two type of air bags commonly in use.   High pressure air bags and low pressure air bags.  Low pressure air bags have an operating pressure of 4-7 psi. and are capable of lifting objects 24" to 60".   High pressure air bags have an operating  pressure of 100 to 125 psi.   and are capable of lifting objects 2"-18" high. 

The low pressure air bags are often use to lift tractor trail trucks that have overturned.  This is possible because of the large surface area of the low pressure area bag.  The air bags come in various sizes, lengths, and heights. One common size is a 48" square bag.  If you do the math, you can see, at 5 psi a 48" square air bag can apply  11,520 psi on the side of a truck.  Place five bags along the length of the truck and you have 57,600 pounds of lift.  The air bags are very useful in saving time when a crane cannot be properly position to make the lift.  Low pressure bag require 2" to 4" of clearance to be inserted under the load to be lifted.

High pressure air bags work on the same principle.  High pressure air bags are much smaller in sizes.  For an example a 12" square air bag at 5 psi can only lift 750 pounds, but add additional pressure and you can lift more.   At 120 psi you can lift 17,280 pounds (that's about 8.5 tons) but can only lift it 6".  When fully deflated a high pressure high bag is less than 1" thick. This makes the high pressure air bags excellent for rescue.  They are small and compact and can lift a large amount of weight.  They enable you to gain working space to places jacks or crane slings.  Since the air bags are smaller than the low pressure bags they are easier to store.  Since the lift is not as high and the material is not as flexible as a low pressure bag and they can be made of stronger material that may withstand accidental cuts from sharp edges.

On E-511 we carry an assortment of high pressure air bags mostly for automobile rescue work.  They can also be used in other types of rescues if needed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I just did this a month ago.  We stuck our 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive farm truck in the side pasture and left it because it was raining.  We came back a week later and it was frozen solid to the axles.

I tried to use a High Lift jack on the front and rear bumpers to lift the tires out of the frozen mud.  No dice.  All that did was extend the springs up, but the tires/axles remained fastened to the ground.

We ended up using a grubbing hoe, a railroad hammer and shovels to break up the frozen mud and dig the wheels out to where they would spin in place.  This eliminated the resistance there, but sill left us with the axles frozen to the ground in the back and the frame frozen to the ground in the front.

I then tied on to the frame with the tractor and pulled at an angle from the rear and then from the front to break loose from the frozen mud.  Once I got it broken out, I dragged it out with the tractor to dry ground..

My 15 year old son and I spent about 2 hours total to get the job done.

Have fun...
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Bud.  Somehow that makes me feel better.  I had the 14 & 16 year olds out to dig a little the other night, but after not too long they had gotten their feet stuck and lost their shoes and where crawling around in the mud looking for their shoes.  

It was late on a school night, so we left.  I was laughing for hours at the image in my head of them crawling around in the mud in the dark with no shoes on in the middle of Feb.

Dan
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I will assume your front tires are not sunk to the frame. (Since it is not 4X4)

Get a hilift jack. Crank your truck and break your tires free if they are frozen.

Lift the rear of the truck up and pile wood in the holes.
Get a friend with a winch, winch your truck out. should take 30 mins or less with proper gear.

Get a rope? LMAO
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#36]
There are few of lifes little problems that cannot be solved with the correct applications of High order explosives!!!

In other words.........BLOW IT IN PLACE!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I am not one with the force.......
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

Yeah then take it to used car dealership anad get a 4x4

+1 and a winch
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#41]
You need a machine with tracks...

A Case 455 will do nicely...

Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#42]
This happened to a friend of mine, what a hilarious night that was.  He "borrowed" another friends new Toyota 4x4 and was blasting around out back in a field that just got re-graded, it was very rainy that week so there was lots of mud.  It was all fun and games until he jumped a little pile and hit the REALLY DEEP mud.  

Splat!, that baby was sunk up past the doors, he had to climb out the window.

He then proceeded to borrow a third friend's 2 wheel drive Ram worktruck to try and pull it out.  That got stuck as well.......

Next was him driving out of the barn on his mid seventies Snapper mower, got that stuck as well, obviously.

So now its about 4am, and here comes the tow truck guy....
He just looks a the mud field, now littered with a 4x4 Toyota, a 2 wheel drive Ram and a Snapper mower, and just starts cracking up.  He used his winch with about 50 feet of chain to pull them all out from the safety of the grass covered back yard.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#43]
A friend with a winch, or a tow truck would be the quickest.

If you don't want to spend the $$$'s, then you'll have to start digging.

Good luck, hopt things start going better for ya.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#44]
tractor

Or a chevy 4WD
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#45]
There is a saying," To find the easiest way to do a hard job is give it to a lazy person". Seeing how I fall into this group I will give you the easiest way out.

Let it set until summer then just drive it out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#46]
You people are really slipping......

The obvious answer  is.......

TANNERITE !!!!

(And post the video please !)
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Go buy a new truck and leave it there for futrure fosil fuel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Wait for all the mud to dry and then dig it out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top