Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2001 1:22:44 PM EDT
What can you do with GI mags when one or more of the tabs on the bottom break off ?
can the body be replaced legally ?
will they work with one missing ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
It is legal to replace a magazine body on a high cap mag.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
not sure, but i think this is the only way you can have a post ban body, but keep the pre ban body as evidence of replacement, and make sure the old body is thourolly destroyed.

but this could open a can of worms with the feds. so be carefull.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
how do we go about doing this ?
does it have to be with the same manufacturer ?
and what if they are out of business...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like more trouble than a 15 dollar mag  is worth.  Just duct tape the thing back together.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Kikomax,good idea...
I just hate throwing something even remotely usefull out, especially when there is a finite supply.
tape it up and save it as a last resort...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If the mag has only one broken f.plate it should still be in decent enough shape to use as a range mag.  I have two in that condition and they function just fine.  

[b]IF[/b] you don't mind all the hassle you are supposed to legally be allowed to replace the body with a post-ban body but you'll have to prove you've done so to repair a mag.  The problem with this will be finding a post-ban mag that's cheap enough to warrant the hassle.  I'd much rather spend $15-17 on a 95% pre-ban mag than $12.95 on a post-ban mag.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Check in with Brownell's, I think that they have replacement bodies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Put it in a box in the corner of the basement. Forget about it until they clarify the law or the present law has met the sunset clause and has not been renewed. Buy another mag for $15-$30. Do not risk your time in court ,your savings defending youself, confiscating your guns, and loss of job because your in jail for one stupid mag!  Weigh the risk!!!  [grenade]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top